Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Guitar

Hey, i wanna learn guitar. Just wondering is it possible to teach myself, what would i need to get going and yea. I used to play trumpet for a few years so would that make it any easier in terms of reading the music. I just want a cheap electric guitar. Wondering how much i would be looking and yea.

Cheers Shane

Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

Shane, TAB is your best friend.

Google search for songs you like and download or print the TAB's. They are very easy to read and the quickest way to teach yaself.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

yep i agree tabs is the next best thing sense sliced bread very easy to use and also listen to the song while your trying to play to it helps a far bit
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.azchords.com/s/storyofthe...abs-40396.html

Hmmm looks hard. Lol, what about guitar, what sort and how much would i be lookin at for a cheapo one.
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Awww you could get an average amp and guitar package for arouund 4 to 5 hundered.

And yes it is entirely possible to teach yourself, theory is for wimps.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Guy
Hey, i wanna learn guitar. Just wondering is it possible to teach myself, what would i need to get going and yea. I used to play trumpet for a few years so would that make it any easier in terms of reading the music. I just want a cheap electric guitar. Wondering how much i would be looking and yea.

Cheers Shane
Don't go down the tab road, stick to reading music... cos I found it easier because I already knew how to read music and tab just confused me (maybe I'm a purist! lol).

Go check out ebay for an idea on pricing, and if you're learning on it then I would say you don't really need a "brand name" one. What if you hate learning?! lol

And do you really need to go electric straight away? I saw a full size cheapie acoustic for $100 brand new. Easy to learn on, don't need an amp etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I have just started learning guitar myself, and and cannot read a single line of music...my mate has been playing for 15 years and he doesnt know how to read music! Says you dont need to...as has been said...tabliature is the best way to go...its very easy to read...
Just make sure you learn the basics first, chords and the like...

HERES my post a few months back about learning guitar.

Electric is easier to learn on, thats how I have started, but peple say you should learn with an accoustic, as changing from electric to accoustic later on is more difficult.

eBay is your bestest friend in the world for guitar stuff...
Old 28-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
I have just started learning guitar myself, and and cannot read a single line of music...my mate has been playing for 15 years and he doesnt know how to read music! Says you dont need to...as has been said...tabliature is the best way to go...its very easy to read...
Just make sure you learn the basics first, chords and the like...
My sentiments exactly. Unless you wanna be a full on qualified guitar player/teacher, there really is no need at all to learn theory, or for that matter, how to read guitar music. If all you want to do is thrash out your favourite songs around a campfire or play down at the pub on a Friday night, then learn with tabs, its by far the easiest way to go.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ive been playing for over 5 years and I cant read a line of music. Tabs the way to go.
Old 28-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Let me add my 2 cents worth here.

Self teaching is certainly possible but like all things requires dedication and input from others to work.

In an ideal world reading music notation is the preferred option as you will find yourself somewhat limited down the track if you can't but it depends on the level of competency you are aiming for. If you are aiming to be a fireside muso then tabs will get you by with ease - if you're aiming to compose, play a lot of lead or master anything other than straight chord structures OR if you want to actually understand how music theory really works then notation is the only choice.

The electric versus acoustic debate for learners is as old as the invention of the electric guitar. My own view is that the electric actually requires greater accuracy for finger placement if only because amplification exacerbates any innacuracies but if you're playing thrash metal no one would know anyway. Acoustics are better for teaching technique and cause less heartache for those around you while you make unimaginably horrible sounds through the early learning stages and I've always suggested a wide necked acoustic for beginners because it strengthens fingers and makes playing on a normal Gibson or Fender style narrow neck a breeze.

Whatever you choose there is only one rule - enjoy.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 10:46 PM   #11
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

It is nice to be able to read a piece of music, play it on the guitar, add your own bits... but, as said many times, not essential!

If you learn the basic chords (Open chords... played with your hand closest to the tuning keys), then the bar chords (using the same finger-placing, but moving up and down the neck) you'll be able to play 90% of what you hear on the radio.

When you know the most often used chords, your best teacher is playing along to a CD/radio.

I started on a nylon strung acoustic, moved to steel strung acoustic, and at one point had 7 different guitars.

I think it's better to start on accoustic, to help build up the strength in your left fingers (assuming your right handed)
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:59 AM   #12
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Ok all you guitar experts, can you all give me some advice too?

My son is learning guitar at school and loves it. He wants to go to private lessons also. I need some help with the type of guitar I should get him, he's playing bass at school, he's been learning Enter Sandman and I Disappear (his choice) and has calluses on his fingers already.

He's left handed so I don't have a hope in hell of helping him and I don't know whether to buy him an acoustic first so that he can practise at home or just buy him a bass and invest in some (a lot) of ear plugs.

If I buy him an acoustic what should I get him?, He has huge hands and long fingers. If I buy him a bass and amp what am I looking for?

Oh why didn't he pick the Saxamaphone? : :P
Old 29-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #13
XR Davo

Fender Squire Strats are an excellent choice first electic guitar. Prices start at about $190 new. Nicely finished and hardware can be upgraded later to full US Fender spec. I bought one recently in Candy apple red metallic with rosewood fretboard. Looks excellent.

To quote Bono "All I got is a red guitar 3 chords and the truth"
XR Davo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

In terms of cheap guitars, anything by Ibanez is good. While my 2 Ibanez basses are worth around $2k each, the cheaper stuff is VERY good for what it costs and doesnt leave you with a cheap and nasty guitar.

TAB is junk, worthless and 99 times out of 100 completely incorrect.
Old 29-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
Ok all you guitar experts, can you all give me some advice too?

My son is learning guitar at school and loves it. He wants to go to private lessons also. I need some help with the type of guitar I should get him, he's playing bass at school, he's been learning Enter Sandman and I Disappear (his choice) and has calluses on his fingers already.

He's left handed so I don't have a hope in hell of helping him and I don't know whether to buy him an acoustic first so that he can practise at home or just buy him a bass and invest in some (a lot) of ear plugs.

If I buy him an acoustic what should I get him?, He has huge hands and long fingers. If I buy him a bass and amp what am I looking for?

Oh why didn't he pick the Saxamaphone? : :P
But the acoustic guitar is quieter than a saxamaphone!

I didn't think they made acoustic bass guitars though (everyone I am sure will correct me if I am wrong).

Does he read music? Because bass music is different to guitar music (as in, different clefs), and it may get confusing unless he's really good at it.

But I switched between guitar and bass alot and can play both, so it isn't impossible at all (if I can do it, anyone can! lol).

Private lessons are a good idea because the teacher can show him the techniques, such as how to hold the guitar, how to position his fingers etc.

Also he will find that the acoustic guitar with softer strings will help with callouses.

And finally, if you have an older good stereo amp/stereo system with one of the large sockets for a microphone, you can plug the guitar into it as a temporary amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.

Last edited by bindi; 29-09-2005 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Forgot something...
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

They certainly do make Acoustic Basses .
Old 29-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #17
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Acosutic Basses are made by just about most of the major manufacturers. The Ibanez AEB10 is a good entry level choice with solid construction, excellent tone and a Fishman pre-amp built in. Street price should see it around the $700 mark. Cort and Martin also have some excellent units with good reputations.

For Electrics there is a package offer around at the moment from Fender with a Squire Precision or Jazz Bass and 30 Watt Behringer practice Amp for $540 that looks to be a great starter kit.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #18
rodderz

Totally agree with your first post Russ- by doing the hard yards first on a wider necked guitar, others will seem a sinch to play. When i was about 6 or 7 I learned on an el cheapo nylon string classical acoustic that had a pretty wide neck till I could afford an electric, where I purchased a Samick and an Ibanez where they have some great cheaper guitars in their range.

Go to a reputable music shop where they have guys who know there stuff and dont just sit round playing Stairway to Heaven (lots do it) and they always have some great cheaper guitar & amp packages if you go electric. Otherwise there are quite a few models of acoustic or classical guitars for a matter of a few hundred or so new
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post