Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Default Explain the bottom of my slip

Well after listening to the too hot, too humid blah blah blah, can someone enlighten me as to what 'ideal' values the following would be?

For example last night @ 10pm the following:-
21Deg, 87% Humidity, 1008mB,1522RA, (TT)31Deg

THese values are printed on the bottom of every slip @ Willowbank

Now i can understand cooler atmo weather is good, but what effect do the other values have on your ET..

I am also curious as without some sort of understanding of how to standardise these values I am finding it hard to know if I am getting faster, slower or exactly the same performace from my $hitter.. For me I went 2 weeks apart with a few tweaks but the car went no faster but had an extra 1mph ( a pitance I know but everything counts :P)

So you can see my issue, are my tweaks working, just combating the different track conditions or did the car actually go slower than the week before?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
xr8ute
Back on the road

I believe the RA (relative altitude) is the most significant figure, with respect to comparing timeslips with different conditions.

Some info on relative alititude (also known as Density Altitude..?) and timeslip correction here, http://www.quarterjr.com/members/weathertech2.htm

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Well after listening to the too hot, too humid blah blah blah, can someone enlighten me as to what 'ideal' values the following would be?

For example last night @ 10pm the following:-
21Deg, 87% Humidity, 1008mB,1522RA, (TT)31Deg

THese values are printed on the bottom of every slip @ Willowbank

Now i can understand cooler atmo weather is good, but what effect do the other values have on your ET..

I am also curious as without some sort of understanding of how to standardise these values I am finding it hard to know if I am getting faster, slower or exactly the same performace from my $hitter.. For me I went 2 weeks apart with a few tweaks but the car went no faster but had an extra 1mph ( a pitance I know but everything counts :P)

So you can see my issue, are my tweaks working, just combating the different track conditions or did the car actually go slower than the week before?
RA is what you should be looking at as its a combination of air temp/humidity/barometric pressure. Anything under 1000ftRA is starting to become good air and roughly every 1000ft drop in Ra you should gain about 1.5tenths and about 3mph (roughly). RA (relative altitude) is a mesurement of the quality of the air, some cases you can get a negative Ra reading in some places, obviously mostly ih the winter months

So when racing you need to take into consideration your 60ft to ET, then take into acount the RA and you can get a good idea how your car is performing. This time of the year is not a good time as the humidity is through the roof and also air temp is rather hight which will affect the RA considerably but is some cases the humidity can be high but still the Ra is around the say 800ft (not to bad air) so if the humidity is high doesnt necessarily mean the air is bad, eg I have had times when the humidity is at 100% but the Ra was around 670ft quiet good air, so humidity/air temp/barometric pressure in different combinations can give very different Ra results, but air temp is the main factor that will affect the RA.

Have a play with this density altitude calulator ( same as relative altitude)
and you will see the affect different conditions will affect air quality, but rember the barometric pressure is in mercury reading and altitude is height above sea level where the reading is taken.

Density altitude calculator
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
FLUB378

The higher the humidity, the more water there is in the air. Water doesn't burn so that means that the air/fuel mixture in your cylinder has a higher percentage of water. More water means less fuel and/or air, therefore less bang inside the cylinder. The lower the humidity, the better. Petrol cars are affected more by high humidity than a methanol car. The barometric pressure is the air pressure naturally, therefore that higher the barometric pressure, the higher pressure the air is getting pushed into your motor. So, high barometric pressure good, lower humidity good. Catch is when the humidity drops sometimes the pressure drops too. The air has less water and is therefore lighter. My methanol car run better if the pressure is over 1015. Hope this helps. Shouldn't affect your car too much at all as your computer compensates the mixtures and timing to suit the air.
FLUB378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post