Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default oil

my 2002xr6has not had an oil change for 14 months it has only done 5400 ks of light driving and the oil looks new someone said just change the oil and not the filter, does that sound right.i run castrol 15 40 and was told to run valvoline as fords burn the castrol. any thoughts apreciated

david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lee View Post
my 2002xr6has not had an oil change for 14 months it has only done 5400 ks of light driving and the oil looks new someone said just change the oil and not the filter, does that sound right.i run castrol 15 40 and was told to run valvoline as fords burn the castrol. any thoughts apreciated

I'd change both.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

You'll get all sorts of varying opinions about oil brands. We've all got our respective brand loyalties. I swear by Penrite, a good value for money oil that suits my purposes - there are better oils out there, depends how you use your car.

15/40 is the correct grade for your ride anyway. I've never specifically heard the Castrol burns in Fords issue. I have heard of folk changing from one brand to another and their oil consumption has reduced, dunno if that was because they also changed the viscosity? That's another debate though.

Yes, I would certainly be changing my oil after 14 months regardless of the low km travelled. As for the oil filter I see no harm done in not changing it, on the other hand what's another $15 for peace of mind?

I don't know what the service interval is on your car. I drop the oil and filter every 10k km on my stock XH that gets punted around gently (most of the time).

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
You'll get all sorts of varying opinions about oil brands. We've all got our respective brand loyalties. I swear by Penrite, a good value for money oil that suits my purposes - there are better oils out there, depends how you use your car.

15/40 is the correct grade for your ride anyway. I've never specifically heard the Castrol burns in Fords issue. I have heard of folk changing from one brand to another and their oil consumption has reduced, dunno if that was because they also changed the viscosity? That's another debate though.

Yes, I would certainly be changing my oil after 14 months regardless of the low km travelled. As for the oil filter I see no harm done in not changing it, on the other hand what's another $15 for peace of mind?

I don't know what the service interval is on your car. I drop the oil and filter every 10k km on my stock XH that gets punted around gently (most of the time).

Cheers!
service is 15000 ks
Old 21-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lee View Post
service is 15000 ks
In that case I would be definitely taking GK's advice - change the filter too!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks all