Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
nickOH

Default Lowering a focus

Hello all,

I have a quick question for you. I currently own a 2004 Ford Focus LX. I have purchased a new set of 17inch wheels, running on 215/40/R17 tyres. Now I am looking to lower the car, and here is my problem.

I have heard mixed reviews about lowering a focus. Some say it's a simple job, other's say it can cause a lot of camber in the rear etc... Has anybody else lowered their focus, and if so what were your experiences? What can I expect lowering a focus 2inches from stock? Any major problems, any camber, other wear etc...?

Also, what springs do you recommend, and who would you recommend to do it in WA?

Sorry about all the questions! I just want to get this right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanking You
Nick

nickOH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

i just got my LT lowered NYE.

i got the springs from EP. they are Eibach's and dropped it about 35mm which was a nice drop. im on 16s thought not 17s however the guy at the shop said 18s would be fine at the height im at now.

not sure about any camber issues with it...spose it depends how low you go.
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Eibach Eibach Eibach!!!

Pro kit springs.

Will lower by about 1.5 inch with no problems. They are factory option in the U.K.

Try and lower further, and then you'll probably strike problems.

(You can get some simple rear camber adjustment bolts from places like CFM in the U.S. , but they won't solve all your issues)

But safer to stick with the best IMHO
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
nickOH

Yeah 1.5 inches is a safer option. But my focus is so high that it's driving me crazy, I am sure if it had 4WD I could take it off road

I want to get the thing nice and low, so it looks sweet with the 17's. Am I dreaming on this?

So you guys don't recommend King Springs? It's just that I can't seem to find anywhere in WA that will do Eibach for me. And a lot of mates have King's on their rides.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
melbzetec

Here's mine on 17" and Eibachs

Take a look at European Parts for a price.

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=288

$264 plus freight. Then anyone can fit them (Pedders fitted mine).

I could be wrong, but I've only heard of problems with Focus' on Kings
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Last edited by melbzetec; 05-01-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Here's mine on 17" and Eibachs

Take a look at European Parts for a price. Then anyone can fit them (Pedders fitted mine)
I must admit, that looks hot!

But I would love to go just that little bit lower, considering the zetec has a bodykit as standard, in comparison to the LX (I think)? So it would look a bit lower?

Would the extra 0.5 inch drop really make a difference in camber etc..?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Dont go lower, especially with a bodykit, its highly impractical. I had a Zetec on KW springs and it looked hot; but damn it was a pain in the bum over driveways without the bodykit!!!

King Spring Super Ultra Duper Uper Fully Sikkles Mega Lows belong on Falcons. Stick to the best, Eibachs or nothing. Its a quality European Hacth that handles like its on rails. Its better to sit slightly higher and still ride well than look like a low rider and not be able to turn corners.

If you want low; go and get an E Series and chop the springs.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Dont go lower, especially with a bodykit, its highly impractical. I had a Zetec on KW springs and it looked hot; but damn it was a pain in the bum over driveways without the bodykit!!!

King Spring Super Ultra Duper Uper Fully Sikkles Mega Lows belong on Falcons. Stick to the best, Eibachs or nothing. Its a quality European Hacth that handles like its on rails. Its better to sit slightly higher and still ride well than look like a low rider and not be able to turn corners.

If you want low; go and get an E Series and chop the springs.
You are right, the focus is the best handling car I have driven. I didn't realise you could push it so hard into corners and it dives into them with complete ease and hugs the corner nicely.

But in saying that, I HATE how high it is now. Eibach look like good springs, but I really don't want to spend that money on dropping the car, when it won't be low enough for my taste. I'd like to get it right the first time.

Am I going to sacrifice handling getting King Springs or not? I've heard mixed reviews. All the suspension places I have spoken to recommend them, and said they will do well on a Focus, but do I trust them?

Also, when lowering it. I spoke to a guy from Pedders today, and he said the focus has some rear suspension which isn't common? And that when lowering it is cambers in like crazy on the rear. Is this true? Or does he just want me to buy additional parts?

Also, how much would I be looking to pay to get springs installed (if I do decide to get Eibach springs)? A good place in WA quoted be $548 for King Superlow's and alignment. Is that roughly correct?

Sorry about all the questions guys, you have been most helpful thus far!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
melbzetec

Yes, the focus has control blade rear suspension, and camber is not adjustable at the rear unless you buy new parts.

If you must go 2"+ and Kings, then you'll want one of these:

http://www.capaldiracing.com/isell3/product.php?id=212

and a pair of these:

http://www.capaldiracing.com/isell3/product.php?id=216.

Personally...........I wouldn't.

ps If your suppliers are so sure about Kings on a Focus, ask how many they've done, and for the contact numbers of those customers.

I doubt they've done many if any, and if they have, then those customers will give you the best feedback.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
nickOH

Quote:
Yes, the focus has control blade rear suspension, and camber is not adjustable at the rear unless you buy new parts.

If you must go 2"+ and Kings, then you'll want one of these:

http://www.capaldiracing.com/isell3/product.php?id=212

and a pair of these:

http://www.capaldiracing.com/isell3/product.php?id=216.

Personally...........I wouldn't.

ps If your suppliers are so sure about Kings on a Focus, ask how many they've done, and for the contact numbers of those customers.

I doubt they've done many if any, and if they have, then those customers will give you the best feedback.
Yeah, if it's going to camber in, then I am not even interested in using King Springs. I can't be bothered going through a huge expense all for a very negotiable difference (15mm). I'm going to ring these guys up tomorrow, and get them to have a look at the car before I even let them touch it. I want them to explain exactly what they are going to do, exactly what it's going to look like, and exactly how it is not going to camber. And I will see if I get proper responses that I can believe!

So you guys all recommend Eibach then? And is that website the only place that sells them? Or do places in Australia sell them as well?

I really need to picture how it would look lowered, thats the hardest part for me. It just seems to me that 35mm isn't low enough for my liking, but I am probably not realising that the difference between 35mm and 50mm is very little.

So basically is a 50mm drop a guarantee to camber, or can the guys who do the work adjust it back to NEAR stock with the alignment machine?

Just as a side question. I haven't got the 17's on there yet. Does it look any lower with them on, or does it still look incredibly high?

Last edited by nickOH; 06-01-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #11
BlackLS
yum

I have king SLs and have camber prob on the rears only. When the outside of the tyre is on the wear indicators, the inside of the tyres is bald.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 02:52 AM   #12
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
I have king SLs and have camber prob on the rears only. When the outside of the tyre is on the wear indicators, the inside of the tyres is bald.
So would you say it's a noticeable problem, or a minor problem? Does it significantly decrease tyre life for you, or only minimally?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The standard LS ZETEC setup has too much rear camber IMO. I also have uneven tyre wear on the rears but worst of all the thing kicks sideways on bumps and potholes...

A visit to pedders should remedy it but as it's just a werk hack so that's not gonna happen.

I'm not critisising the car mind you it is still the best small car I've owned but it does have some minor design compromises.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

The Eibach pro-kit springs are definitely the way to go. They still greatly improve the appearance of the car, stiffen up the handling nicely, and the camber issues are negligible. The rise quality loss is also minimal. As Matt said also, the car becomes totally impractical on super lows, and you basically have to avoid anything resembling a curb or speed hump.

APE Suspension in Wangara seemed to be the best value when I last had springs fitted - about $200 - $250 for fitting from memory (Wheel alignment not included though).
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickOH
So would you say it's a noticeable problem, or a minor problem? Does it significantly decrease tyre life for you, or only minimally?
If you actually rotated your tyres between the front and back every 20,000kms it would be a minimal to unnoticeable problem. The camber helps with controlling oversteer as well. On Macquarie Pass I used to get the feeling the back end was going to loop around, after getting it lowered on the Kings you get a controllable slight drift.

Kings Superlows are far from comfortable on 17s

Old 06-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
The Eibach pro-kit springs are definitely the way to go. They still greatly improve the appearance of the car, stiffen up the handling nicely, and the camber issues are negligible. The rise quality loss is also minimal. As Matt said also, the car becomes totally impractical on super lows, and you basically have to avoid anything resembling a curb or speed hump.

APE Suspension in Wangara seemed to be the best value when I last had springs fitted - about $200 - $250 for fitting from memory (Wheel alignment not included though).
I am willing to avoid curbs and speed humps hah, I have had experience first hand of the problem. I know it's a hassle at first, but once you get used to it it's not that huge of a deal.

I totally agree with you guys on the Eibach springs, but at the end of the day, they are not low enough for me. I am probably stupid and naive on this, but I can't justify spending more on Eibach springs than King's and still not getting it as low as I wanted. If Eibach could of done a 2" drop then I would of bought them, hands down!

I have been talking to Wilkinson Suspension, the guys there seem really good. They seem to think that they would be able to fix any issues in the rear "they have plenty of wheel alignment adjustment", so I guess maybe they can? The guy said I am more than welcome to bring the car past their workshop, so I guess I will let him show me what he means. They are charging $548 for King's SL's, fitting and alignment. Is that about correct?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
nickOH

Quote:
If you actually rotated your tyres between the front and back every 20,000kms it would be a minimal to unnoticeable problem. The camber helps with controlling oversteer as well. On Macquarie Pass I used to get the feeling the back end was going to loop around, after getting it lowered on the Kings you get a controllable slight drift.

Kings Superlows are far from comfortable on 17s
Oh I see. I would say that's good news then. I can understand that they won't be overly comfortable on 17's, but hey that's a sacrifice I am willing to make. Thanks for your help mate, really appreciate it!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
819_FLY

Just get a set of coilovers for the front and airsprings for the rear... both adjustable or go the whole air system. Complete adjustability for ride height and also decent ride comfort.

Be sure to throw up a pic or two if you go ahead with the SL as im half interested and give us details about how well its changed the geometry of your rear wheels.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 819_FLY
Just get a set of coilovers for the front and airsprings for the rear... both adjustable or go the whole air system. Complete adjustability for ride height and also decent ride comfort.

Be sure to throw up a pic or two if you go ahead with the SL as im half interested and give us details about how well its changed the geometry of your rear wheels.
Will do mate. I am pretty certain I am going with the SL's now.

I have spoken to three suspension places in WA now. All three have said the SL's will have no major problems. So I guess I will try it out.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #20
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170

I emailed the guy from APE Suspension. He basically said I can do the SL's for $500, and get an alignment done after 200km.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #21
melbzetec

I'll be fascinated to see how they adjust your camber in the rear, as the stock LR has no facility to adjust rear camber!!

(And having a wheel alignment machine doesn't change that!)

Are you sure they understand anything about Focus'???

I'd invest in a pair of these:

http://www.steedafocus.com/store/p48...duct_info.html

They'll be your best low cost way to adjust rear camber in a Focus. Note though...only +/-1 degree adjustment....so if you need more than that you'll need to look at higher priced options

Old 06-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #22
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Oh I see. I would say that's good news then. I can understand that they won't be overly comfortable on 17's, but hey that's a sacrifice I am willing to make. Thanks for your help mate, really appreciate it!
I've done over 100,000kms on superlows and 17s, including interstate trips with both my whole family as well as my GF and found it ok. Compared to my bosses Porsche Cayman, the Focus on superlows is like riding on clouds, so I was exaggerating a bit about it being uncomfortable. I've gone back to 16s in the last 15,000kms which dulls out a lot of the small bumps like cat-eyes, but essentially the same ride with a whole lot more tyre squeal.

Keep in mind this is for the LS, yours is an LR model, which is a bit more firm than the LS already.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #23
nickOH

Quote:
I'll be fascinated to see how they adjust your camber in the rear, as the stock LR has no facility to adjust rear camber!!

(And having a wheel alignment machine doesn't change that!)

Are you sure they understand anything about Focus'???

I'd invest in a pair of these:

http://www.steedafocus.com/store/p48...duct_info.html

They'll be your best low cost way to adjust rear camber in a Focus. Note though...only +/-1 degree adjustment....so if you need more than that you'll need to look at higher priced options
Yeah I don't really know if they understand hey. I did some research on the rear suspension of a focus, and you are right. So I emailed them back to make sure they understand the focus. I will take it to them personally and show them what I mean and see what they say?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #24
nickOH

Quote:
I've done over 100,000kms on superlows and 17s, including interstate trips with both my whole family as well as my GF and found it ok. Compared to my bosses Porsche Cayman, the Focus on superlows is like riding on clouds, so I was exaggerating a bit about it being uncomfortable. I've gone back to 16s in the last 15,000kms which dulls out a lot of the small bumps like cat-eyes, but essentially the same ride with a whole lot more tyre squeal.

Keep in mind this is for the LS, yours is an LR model, which is a bit more firm than the LS already.
Yeah true. I can deal with the firmness. But that is definately a good sign if you had driven that far with them and had no major issues!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #25
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Yeah I don't really know if they understand hey. I did some research on the rear suspension of a focus, and you are right. So I emailed them back to make sure they understand the focus. I will take it to them personally and show them what I mean and see what they say?
Lets hope they don't pack out the the top side of hub mount with washers

Old 06-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #26
BlackLS
yum

Try and get a breakdown of the $550 quote. It may be worth buying your own springs from somewhere.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #27
nickOH

Quote:
Try and get a breakdown of the $550 quote. It may be worth buying your own springs from somewhere.
Well I worked out buying the springs from ebay would be $250, plus $30 postage. So thats $280. I would say alignment could be the $50. So that leaves $220 for labour and work? Sound about right?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #28
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Nick, I noticed you've got a '04 LX, I've got a '03 LX. I upgraded to ST170 suspension (dampers/springs) and I can't tell you how much it's transformed the car. It's simply brilliant. So, that's another option to consider. IMHO I wouldn't get hung up on how low you want the car to look. Here's picture of mine to compare.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #29
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Nick, I noticed you've got a '04 LX, I've got a '03 LX. I upgraded to ST170 suspension (dampers/springs) and I can't tell you how much it's transformed the car. It's simply brilliant. So, that's another option to consider. IMHO I wouldn't get hung up on how low you want the car to look. Here's picture of mine to compare.
That looks rather nice mate!

I booked in for the SL's today. The guys there explained it all to me and what not.. So next Wednesday I will tell you how it goes.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #30
melbzetec

Not bad Nick. 30 posts in less than 24hrs on this thread!