Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #151
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Default Re: Still a Street Car the AFF definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfraser
Roadworthy...
there would be precious few cars on this forum that would pass a roadworthy at any given time. does that mean they are not street cars

it seems to me the only people who care are the ones who are getting beaten by someone else who has spent more money/time than them
Old 30-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #152
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
there would be precious few cars on this forum that would pass a roadworthy at any given time. does that mean they are not street cars

it seems to me the only people who care are the ones who are getting beaten by someone else who has spent more money/time than them
By the defintions above this isnt a street car. :(

Old 30-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #153
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
This is just going around in circles now, seems some have a vested interest to somehow prove to others that their ride (or definition) of a street car is more valid than anothers, and by arguing so somehow prove they are better than someone else..
I assume you are talking about yourself here..... after all your car has a cage and you are arguing FOR it in regards to it being deemed as a widely accepted street car?

Now you avoided my question before so i'll ask again: "So your believers in the legitimate 8 second daily too?..... you also believe that the fact half the car's componentry needs changing between street and track makes it a dinkum street car?"..... if you want you can water that question down rather than say "8 second daily".... lets call it an 8 second car that is driven twice a week (Saturday and Sunday for arguments sake).... so that's a dinkum car even though on Friday night the owner spends 3 or 4 hours pulling out the extra anti intrustion bars, 90/10's, drops the chute off, refits the exhaust (or an acceptably quiet iteration) forget about in WA where they would have to remove the harness and 6 point rollcage required to run under 10's.... a bolt in cage dosent cut it either and unless the car has specific sign-off for motorsport use with limited road access (like a rally car) it is not legal to have rollbars running down the A or B pillars.

C'mon guys, you cant be freaking serious... a certifiable street car that needs all that legally done to drive on the road? Get off yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67

Seeing as though Paulie was so kind to point out that my $120,000 twin turbo FG street car has run 3 seconds and 30mph slower than one of his mates/brother "8 second street car" builds, I will assume you are talking about me in this instance.

Mate I am not the one harping about RTA approval all the time... its actually the guy who (dosent) own/s an 8 second car that feels the need to cling to this fact, as if that RTA signoff somehow proves that an old Capri that's been shoved full of oversized turbo engine, with a cage, tubs, shute, drag suspension, intercooler like a Kenworth, histall auto..... that's primarily setup to run at the drags I might add.... is a legitimate dinkum street car.

But the classic of them all, the welded in rollcage. If it soooo streetable, why is it that only 4 states and 1 territory allow you to have the requisite rollcage that allows a street car to run under 10 seconds and be legally allowed to run on the road?..... if it's so acceptable, and its just me on here with a personal agenda, why isnt the whole of Australias individual governments at state level in agreeance?... better yet, why does the national regs not override it?...... actually, maybe have a read here, page 41 of the PDF under "1) Safety":

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...Jan2011_v2.pdf

Agenda's hey?...... maybe i'm just pointing out some harsh truths to some that dont want to hear it?

Daniel

Last edited by CAT600; 30-04-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 30-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #154
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Mate I am not the one harping about RTA approval all the time... its actually the guy who (dosent) own/s an 8 second car that feels the need to cling to this fact, as if that RTA signoff somehow proves that an old Capri that's been shoved full of oversized turbo engine, with a cage, tubs, shute, drag suspension, intercooler like a Kenworth, histall auto..... that's primarily setup to run at the drags I might add.... is a legitimate dinkum street car.
Daniel
Here here Daniel.
I know which 'street' car id want to take to the track.....it doesnt have a roll cage but has A/C
Seem some people are 'hanging onto and making a big point of' the car being the 'Fastest Registered (Insert make here) in Australia' As if to say it was a big deal/hassle getting it registered.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 30-04-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 30-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #155
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Seeing as though Paulie was so kind to point out that my $120,000 twin turbo FG street car has run 3 seconds and 30mph slower than one of his mates/brother "8 second street car" builds, I will assume you are talking about me in this instance
and why would you do that - i quoted someone else; not to put their criteria down, but to suggest ever so subtly that most cars, including mine has tyres that are too wide or suspension that is too low for a roadworthy certificate

if you have a complex, then so be it - i think the whole idea of this thread is ridiculous. it seems to me that too many people here are more worried about what everyone else is doing and not their own stuff. if your car runs 2 seconds or whatever it is you claim it does - i do not care. i am happy with my car that has some parts that are technically unroadworthy - so in accordance with the 2 posts i quoted, my car is not a street car
Old 30-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #156
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly, the people who generally question the "street car" side of some big power/high end vehicles generally cant give the cars credit for still maintaining street car manners while having enough to go above and beyond power and times of the average lightly modified v8 or i6 taxi. A bit of scaffolding and throwing the laundry out (cage and chute) to be able to run in the 9 and 8 second brackets is something that should be encouraged rather than someone buildig a frankenstein that never sees a ANDRA tech inspection (which exceeds any rego check) and just flogs it in the hope it never gets pulled up on the street.

Flick through any Aussie perfomance orientated mag and you will more than likely see a GM style 6/71 blower on a car with numberplates of some sort, it might not be legitimately legal but its still could be streetable. Some are still driven on the street, A reverse cowl is another one, the slightest bit too high and its not street legal.

The guys that whinge about "its not street legal" or "it wasnt run in street trim" are generally the guys that were left behind at the set of lights

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
Old 30-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #157
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
I assume you are talking about yourself here..... after all your car has a cage and you are arguing FOR it in regards to it being deemed as a widely accepted street car?

Now you avoided my question before so i'll ask again: "So your believers in the legitimate 8 second daily too?..... you also believe that the fact half the car's componentry needs changing between street and track makes it a dinkum street car?"..... if you want you can water that question down rather than say "8 second daily".... lets call it an 8 second car that is driven twice a week (Saturday and Sunday for arguments sake).... so that's a dinkum car even though on Friday night the owner spends 3 or 4 hours pulling out the extra anti intrustion bars, 90/10's, drops the chute off, refits the exhaust (or an acceptably quiet iteration) forget about in WA where they would have to remove the harness and 6 point rollcage required to run under 10's.... a bolt in cage dosent cut it either and unless the car has specific sign-off for motorsport use with limited road access (like a rally car) it is not legal to have rollbars running down the A or B pillars.

C'mon guys, you cant be freaking serious... a certifiable street car that needs all that legally done to drive on the road? Get off yourselves.
Like I said in my first post, as long as you ( or whoever) wants to call their car a street car, and it drives on the street I'm cool with it..better than everyone driving priuses in my mind..I haven't argued against anyones definition..I could argue about whats legal re cages, having been there and done that, but I don't see the point..
Old 30-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #158
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any car that is faster than mine is not legally a street car.........
Old 30-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #159
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Of course if you were talking about Seppo street cars........

And yes, it apparently is registered and driven on the street, albeit an expensive way to get the groceries

As the owner/builder says "The car was built because I wanted the wildest street-legal ride possible."

Old 30-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #160
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I enjoyed flicking through the spread on Paulies bros car today, good article with lots of high quality pics. That's one mad street capri.

Hopefuly we can all agree to disagree on some of the points raised, I've personally found it quite an interesting discussion. I have been surprised by a few of the opinions on the topic.

tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 30-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #161
prasac
Banned

Quote:

Seeing as though Paulie was so kind to point out that my $120,000 twin turbo FG street car has run 3 seconds and 30mph slower than one of his mates/brother "8 second street car" builds, I will assume you are talking about me in this instance.

Dan, it takes us less than 30 minutes to put the chute on, change the plugs and tyres when we go to the track. the reason we have a chute and roll cage is because we can race where and whenever we want. oversized engine? it's a 4L 240ci

ur happy to take yours to Heathcote, what once or twice a year and run it there because there rules say u don't need a cage. no wonder u want to street race if u can only take ur car out once or twice a year i would want to race on the street also.

we can race every week if we want, which is the reason why we don't need to race on the street and endanger people lives and property.

the car was built to run numbers on the track and drive on the street. that is why we drive the thing there.

ok Dan, we make the Capri an everyday street car. as they are now your FG and the Capri make about the same power on the same boost.

let's say we put a/c the same gearbox and run methanol like u do and we would be making over 200rwhp than it does now. a ZF is proven to have around 10% less drivetrain loss and we have backed to backed methanol and E85, the methanol proved to make around 100rwhp on the same boost.

so we have 1100rwhp now with the same box and fuel u run, but we do it with 41ci and 1psi less boost.

now we have the problem, it's methanol so it's not legal on the street.

if Joe wanted to own a dyno queen yeah then we might do that, but as i said the car was built to run numbers on the track and not the dyno.

Last edited by prasac; 30-04-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 30-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #162
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I enjoyed flicking through the spread on Paulies bros car today, good article with lots of high quality pics. That's one mad street capri.

Hopefuly we can all agree to disagree on some of the points raised, I've personally found it quite an interesting discussion. I have been surprised by a few of the opinions on the topic.

tex
sweet as, thanks tex. it's good to see cars being appreciated no matter if people think they are street or race
Old 30-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #163
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Any more of this 'Mine is better then yours' thread will be closed
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 30-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #164
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
Dan, it takes us less than 30 minutes to put the chute on, change the plugs and tyres when we go to the track. the reason we have a chute and roll cage is because we can race where and whenever we want.

ur happy to take yours to Heathcote, what once or twice a year and run it there because there rules say u don't need a cage. no wonder u want to street race if u can only take ur car out once or twice a year i would want to race on the street also.

we can race every week if we want, which is the reason why we don't need to race on the street and endanger people lives and property.

the car was built to run numbers and run on the street. ok Dan, we make the Capri an everyday street car. let's say we put the same gearbox and run methanol like u do and we would be making over 200rwhp than it does now. a ZF is proven to have around 10% less drivetrain loss and we have backed to backed methanol and E85, the methanol proved to make around 100rwhp on the same boost.

so we have 1100rwhp now with the same box and fuel u run, but we do it with 41ci and 1psi less boost.

now we have the problem, it's methanol so it's not legal on the street.

if we wanted to own a dyno queen yeah then we might do that, but as i said the car was built to run numbers on the track and not the dyno.
Well said,
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 30-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #165
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Here here Daniel.
I know which 'street' car id want to take to the track.....it doesnt have a roll cage but has A/C
Seem some people are 'hanging onto and making a big point of' the car being the 'Fastest Registered (Insert make here) in Australia' As if to say it was a big deal/hassle getting it registered.
I would rather take the nugget anyday,runs 10's pretty sure it sounds and looks tuffer than any FG.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 30-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #166
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
I would rather take the nugget anyday,runs 10's pretty sure it sounds and looks tuffer than any FG.
i don't understand how A/C would be a benefit on the track, the car would run slower
Old 30-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #167
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

Quote:
Agenda's hey?...... maybe i'm just pointing out some harsh truths to some that dont want to hear it?

Daniel
Who said they were yours?
I happen to agree with you FWIW.
Old 30-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #168
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
i don't understand how A/C would be a benefit on the track, the car would run slower
Seriously
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 30-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #169
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...Not for the mob that makes air conditioning systems for hot rods and customs, who did a run on Bonneville Salt Flats at 200mph in a full on Studebaker salt flats racer...in perfect comfort with the air conditioner blasting...
Old 30-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #170
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

You think its that simple Paulie?...."Dan races on the street 'cause he hasnt got a cage"..... for starters i'd love to run at the Motorplex every few weeks but the AU is banned and the FG has one good pass in it before its banned also. Now it would be easy to assume that i'm bitter about not having the option to cage the AU to run under 10 seconds in W.A., but I dont honestly believe that a 6 point cage has any place in a true street car, I have a mate with a $300,000 show WRX that's caged.... his exact words "Worst thing I ever did to that car". To be honest my AU has run arrow straight at the drags doing 10's with Brembo brakes on Radials and I have felt as safe as houses.... much safer than on slicks and runners by all reports.

As far as the ****ing contest with your bro's car, I wont lower my colours to enter the debate on the way I packaged my powertrain, all i'll say is that Capri is far, far away from how I engineer a no compromises street car..... for me, mine seats 5 in total comfort, mum can drive it anywhere, better brakes than a Gallardo and at 4200lbs with the OEM 6 speed auto it has run flat 11's on pump fuel with true street rubber and most importantly, I can drive it exactly the same way every day on the street without lifting a spanner.... there's no comparison fella.

If there is one thing I can agree with Tony on, its that the thread is going around in circles......I've left my opinion on the "AFF street car definition" clear, everyone's entitled to one so good luck with all your various cars guys.

Daniel
Old 30-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #171
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:

Now you avoided my question before so i'll ask again: "So your believers in the legitimate 8 second daily too?.....

Daniel
Just so the point isn't missed, the topic is, "the aff definition of a streeter" I dont think a daily drive is the topic, and I do think it silly that anyone would claim a very higly modified car as a "daily".

If it's rego'd legally, its a streeter, no if's no but's, what one thinks a streeter "should" be is a point for discussion, but it's only a subjective and personal view, the transport authority is the ultimate arbitrator.

Quote:

Daniel
This is the only harsh truth I need to hear..

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...naspics785.mp4

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...naspics786.mp4
Old 30-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #172
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

- Antz Turboside Intake
Closed Thread