Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #1
Maggotchops
Starter Motor

Default 2007 Focus CL Tail/Brake light issue help please?

Hi, hoping to get some help with the tail/brake light issue on my 2007 Focus CL please.

Day time driving all brake lights work as they should (including the top centre brake light) All indicator lights work fine.

Night time driving the tail lights work fine however when the brake is pressed the top rear centre brake light engages, however the left & right tail lights completely go out and the brake lights do not engage? (there is no rear lights apart from top centre brake light)

I have checked all the globes & the light housing connections seem fine, fuses are all fine. I also checked the rear number plate fuse and lights as I had heard it may be linked by means of grounding the brake lights but they fine also?

How can they work during the day but not when the head lights are operational?

Any ideas help would be appreciated
Maggotchops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2007 Focus CL Tail/Brake light issue help please?

Indicates a earth problem to the lights
Check for a loose or burnt common earth point in wiring at rear or run a temporary wire between globe holder earth connection and body
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

faulty earth works that until you add the tail and brake lights to the demand. 11Ford11 is correct
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
Maggotchops
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies. I will check the wiring, it did seem to look ok? What exactly should I be looking for in grounding issue? Im not really sure what colour the earth wire should be? Appreciate the responses.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

find where the ground is bolted/screwed to the body unscrew it clean the area so it clean metal and reattach.most likely in the trunk area Usually they are black wires.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #6
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Black wires

Screwed to left and right side of luggage compartment
about half way back and half way up check any black wires connected to the body work in this area

Another location to check after this is under the front door scuff plates screwed to the sill

Did you try connecting your own wire to the ground wire of the lights and screwing it to earth
Old 12-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #7
Maggotchops
Starter Motor

Thanks for the reply everyone, have not been able to check the ground issue yet. Yesterday my daughter got stuck at the lights with no way of changing gears, clutch pedal flat to the floor. Long story short got towed to repair shop and now quoted 2-3 thousand to fix a clutch cylinder! Only just found this out 5 minutes ago. Needless to say the lights may take a back seat for now!? 🥲
Old 12-11-2021, 06:58 PM   #8
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing so its a big job and probably should replace clutch at same time
Old 14-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #9
Maggotchops
Starter Motor

Hey thanks again for the help. Is 2-3.5 thousand around the mark for this kind of repair work? Not sure if it’s worth ringing a few other places first although it’s already been towed to the mechanics. (Who I believe to be fair) ? Cheers again
Old 15-11-2021, 10:13 AM   #10
Rs31markie

Hi, be careful if you just replace the clutch. That model (I think)has a variable mass flywheel. I changed mine and bought a kit complete with solid flywheel think it was around $900.
Rs31markie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #11
Maggotchops
Starter Motor

Hi folks, apologies for the absence.

My daughter had a conversion kit from dual fly wheel to single installed on the vehicle, did the whole clutch & now have it back. (Bit tight coming into Christmas hence the wait)

Now I will get a chance to look for the ground to address original post lol

Thanks I’ll update when can 👌🏼👍🏼
Old 10-12-2021, 02:36 PM   #12
Maggotchops
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Black wires

Screwed to left and right side of luggage compartment
about half way back and half way up check any black wires connected to the body work in this area

Another location to check after this is under the front door scuff plates screwed to the sill

Did you try connecting your own wire to the ground wire of the lights and screwing it to earth
Ok thanks, I’m looking at all the great plastic panels in the luggage compartment thinking I might just take it to a auto electrician. Thanks for the help 👌🏼
Old 11-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put your own earths to the light sockets by adding a piece of wire onto the earth wire (black wire normally) near the sockets and attaching under a screw or bolt nearby
Old 13-01-2022, 03:46 PM   #14
Peterlcbj
Starter Motor

Its more than likely inside one of the bulb holders itself . I had a similar issue . the wiring between where the plug connects and the light slots in is not one continual wire, its two pieces. It could be they are arcing /shorting causing your issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK7l...iedPerformance
Peterlcbj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post