Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Global Warming Poley Bears Efficiency Lighting

Something happened last night which has never happened before, and it got me a little concerned.
In my lounge room, I turned on a light and was greeted by a blue flash, a large popping sound and then the sound of broken glass.
It turns out, the energy efficient globe had exploded. Luckily, the glass diffuser managed to capture most/all of the debris; preventing a shower of glass spraying all over the room.
The problem is, these things have mercury in them (around 2-3 grams), and mercury does not mix well with humans. I did some research and found it quite alarming the number of precautions that you have to take cleaning up the mess, including not vacuuming up any debris for fear of making the mercury airborne.
Now, I've had these types of globes blow before and it's not a problem to replace, but I've never had one explode. So, not wanting to be alarmist, I thought I'd ask the question here. Has anyone had a globe explode and if so, what did you do about it?

Also, can anyone reveal a source of the normal incandescent globes instead of the global warming, poley bears efficiency globes?

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Global Warming Poley Bears Efficiency Lighting

Incandescent globes of the normal size for use in room lighting are no longer available for sale. They were actually banned from being imported last year i believe.

You can still get the smaller ones for desk lamps etc...

So no... you cant get them anywhere!

Those new mercury filled globes are useless as they light is too blue and even getting one with a high wattage isnt enough to light up a room with good light.

May as well go and fit fluros all over the house or LED downlights

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
MAD
Petro-sexual

I dont have a problem with the compact fluro replacements. I use warm white versions throughout the house. I cant remember the wattage of the ones we have though.

That's interesting regarding the mercury. Automotive Xenon bulbs moved to zero mercury a fair while ago. I'm surprised they are able to have mercury in a household item like this.

Really there should heaps of information spread around of this, because mercury shouldnt even be disposed of in normal waste.
Old 18-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
RiTz

Mum has a sewing / computer nook in her bedroom.. Her one exploded and made a fine mess. Lucky she wasn't in the room when it happened.. Let alone sitting under it !

Jo
RiTz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

You cant buy incandescent bulbs anymore as stated. Keep your eye out for Halogen bulbs. very similar, cheap & better light than the fluros.
I have been telling everyone I know about the mercury issue for years now. Everyone is surprised to learn that.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgot to mention I bought one of these new globes a few yrs ago when they first came out. It lasted about 60mins! then blew itself.

When I removed it I found the glass part had seperated from the base (glue had let go)

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Thanks for the replies guys, I did a little checking and apparently, you have can only safely dispose of the old globes at the tip where you drop off your old car batteries.
I'm thinking I might just package all of mine up, and have a courier deliver it to the the former liberal environmental minister Malcolm Turnball's (the guy who started this efficiency lighting crap) office with a note saying; "suck my mercury".

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 18-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
MAD
Petro-sexual

At first this new information did raise my interests, so I looked into it.

From the small amount of research I've just done, I've found the actual level of mercury in these type of globes is around 5 milligrams, not the 2-3 grams as mentioned in the first post.

Mercury is serious stuff, so next time I have a breakage I will be much more careful. I have only had one breakage and it was due to a wii tennis serve. (not me)
Old 18-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Incandescence style halogens are great, instant full brightness, cheaper and nicer light.
Old 18-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I've had a few blow out (including one in a brand new house that happened when the power was first connected) but definately not explode.
Old 18-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have the efficient type globes through the house, never had one blow, did have one fall to bits trying to fit it into a dodgey socket, never knew the health concerns (thx Ltd).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Something happened last night which has never happened before, and it got me a little concerned.
In my lounge room, I turned on a light and was greeted by a blue flash, a large popping sound and then the sound of broken glass.
It turns out, the energy efficient globe had exploded. Luckily, the glass diffuser managed to capture most/all of the debris; preventing a shower of glass spraying all over the room.
The problem is, these things have mercury in them (around 2-3 grams), and mercury does not mix well with humans. I did some research and found it quite alarming the number of precautions that you have to take cleaning up the mess, including not vacuuming up any debris for fear of making the mercury airborne.
Now, I've had these types of globes blow before and it's not a problem to replace, but I've never had one explode. So, not wanting to be alarmist, I thought I'd ask the question here. Has anyone had a globe explode and if so, what did you do about it?

Also, can anyone reveal a source of the normal incandescent globes instead of the global warming, poley bears efficiency globes?

we had a warning letter about these globes sent to us at our toolbox meeting at work a couple months back dangerous things they can be if they do break, always wear a dust mask and dont vacuum it up sweep it up.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
we had a warning letter about these globes sent to us at our toolbox meeting at work a couple months back dangerous things they can be if they do break, always wear a dust mask and dont vacuum it up sweep it up.

Thanks mate, that's exactly the information I was looking for.
Fortunately it seems that the light cover has held it all in there, I'll be very careful removing it though and wearing a dust mask as well as gloves.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 18-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

As with anything there are alot of cheapies out there. They are generally pretty good.
Old 18-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
MAD
Petro-sexual

What I read this morning was if it occurs in your house, open all windows and get all people and pets outside for 15mins while it airs out. Then pick the broken glass up with stiff cardboard or similar and place in to a sealable plastic bag at least but preferably a glass container. No broom or vacuum.

There have been very few instances of mercury poisoning from these, but best to be safe I guess.
Old 18-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
What I read this morning was if it occurs in your house, open all windows and get all people and pets outside for 15mins while it airs out. Then pick the broken glass up with stiff cardboard or similar and place in to a sealable plastic bag at least but preferably a glass container. No broom or vacuum.

There have been very few instances of mercury poisoning from these, but best to be safe I guess.

Thanks MAD, I've read similar stuff too.
I did remember the 15 minute thing though and did that as soon as it happened.

I remember getting an email about the danger of what happens if you step on one of these things, I've found a picture of it here: Be warned though, it is quite disgusting and a little graphic so if squeamish, don't look.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...soningfoot.jpg

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 18-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #17
MAD
Petro-sexual

I wonder how a dyson vac would work, they say their system can remove cigarette smoke particles.
Old 18-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I wonder how a dyson vac would work, they say their system can remove cigarette smoke particles.
I don't know. I suppose though after you've done it you'd want to change the filters.
I didn't do chemistry at school I did physics. I do remember that mercury vapour can have detrimental effects if you're subjected to it over a period of time. I'd imagine the advice against vacuuming would be to prevent the particles being picked up off the carpet and blown around the room again.

Quote: