Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 
Default Bloody Councils and their fines

So get this folks. Out the front of my workshop, i have private parking, as there is a waterboard drain running right at the front wall of my shop. It belongs to the property i rent, but because of the drain, the building is set further back. My parents have similar on their property, whereby they own it, but are restricted to where a fixed structure ends or begins. So today? parked on the private property which is part of my shop? some parasite from the council slaps a $143 fine on my wagon for facing the wrong direction of traffic. i even have it on my security cameras. so my point? i am so furious about this, and feel the absolute desire to have this imbecile fired. Why so harsh? If you look further up the laneway, another company has the same deal, and their spots are marked out with paint. clear as day to see, but this moron does not work it out that i may be in fact parked on private property. I have even sighted council proposed drawings which shows this to be private property.
So am i being too harsh because i am worked up at the moment? Should i go hard and have this person booted, or take it easy?

Mods, if this is the wrong spot, please feel free to move.

On a second point, i CAN NOT believe the amount these guys charge. can anyone say cash cow? that's a day and a half wages for most people.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Default Re: Bloody Councils and their fines

go for blood!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You might aswell go in and yell at someone. You wont get the fine to go away.

I was once at a building site, where trucks where coming in and out of the very small driveway. I moved my hilux onto the footpath (from the driveway, tools in the back) for 20 minutes and in that time some dick was giving me a ticket. I tried explaining it to him but no, theyre just braindead.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New sherrif in town in Sydney. Talk to your new local member (if you are lucky enough to have one in the Government) and point out how the council nazis have been running amok over the last decade or so.

You cannot frighten the council but THEY can......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
New sherrif in town in Sydney. Talk to your new local member (if you are lucky enough to have one in the Government) and point out how the council nazis have been running amok over the last decade or so.

You cannot frighten the council but THEY can......
That will definitely be on my possible to-do list. To highlight how much of a parasite they can be, they have made the nearby streets all 2 hour parking. I work near West Ryde railway station. The government wants us all to catch public transport, but when some poor sap tries to do so, they have to park 1km away from the station due to the change in time zones. I see these parasites roaming the streets every day looking for their next victim.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
GK351

I hate councils i have had my fair share with them regarding heavy vehicle's.
Private property they cant touch you. Fight it you have every right.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
outside
off in outer space

there is a school here that puts down witches hats so the headmaster and the cleaner can park right at the front door.
they have no right to do that, and they have a staff car park but no they have to have the prime parking spots, also they school has a disabled car park but they let the clean-away bin sit in it

and make disable kids cross the road to be picked up
when i get a pic of the witches hats ill be sending an email off to the council
Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Is this "private parking" kerbside parking or behind the front boundary line of your premises?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

There is no kerbs in the laneway. just the buildings. It was and is always parked behind the boundary though.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is inside the property boundary I would send a letter to the SDRO with supporting documents and photos the fine will be squashed. You then send a letter to the general manager of the council outlining the incompetence of the ranger and a threat of a harassment law suit if it happens again. It won't get him sacked but he will get ripped a new one

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

report Cleanaway (not the school) to both the council and the police they are responsible because they put it there. the argument that the school said put it there is not valid the driver placed it there illegally and is liable. watch how quickly the bin gets moved
Quote:
Originally Posted by outside
there is a school here that puts down witches hats so the headmaster and the cleaner can park right at the front door.
they have no right to do that, and they have a staff car park but no they have to have the prime parking spots, also they school has a disabled car park but they let the clean-away bin sit in it

and make disable kids cross the road to be picked up
when i get a pic of the witches hats ill be sending an email off to the council

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 02-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you have a sign out the front saying that the parking spot is private land how would the ranger/ parking inspector know??

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even the stupidest of rangers would know what the building alignment is for the street even more so in this street where another buisness is in the same situation and is left alone. he only needs to look at the other propertys in the street to see where property boundary is but he might have been unable to see that due to being dazzled by the shine of his jackboots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Unless you have a sign out the front saying that the parking spot is private land how would the ranger/ parking inspector know??

Rides:

Old 02-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Ryde council ... I should have known.

They are shockers. As soon as the Optus complex was put in and we were moved into Macquarie Park ... all street parking for a 5km radius ended up with metered parking ... never used to be like that previously.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

If the vehicle was parked behind the property line then I don't see how the Council can lawfully issue an infringement.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #16
Kryton

Private property or not, you were facing the wrong way, meaning you have to drive into oncoming traffic to leave (even if there is no traffic).
Thats what the fine is for.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Private property or not, you were facing the wrong way, meaning you have to drive into oncoming traffic to leave (even if there is no traffic).
I'm with davway - the fine as you mentioned is for parking the wrong way. As far as it being private property...perhaps this guy is just a little slow to understand. I don't know what crazy laws you have down in Sydney regarding private property and how you can park. If you were on the street - you'd be booked. I still think $143 is hellishly steep though.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
AcidTrip

Damn that sucks. I park facing the wrong direction all the time. Too many asians on my street and when they have gatherings they pack about 100 cars into a 30m long road. Have no choice BUT to park facing the wrong way ...
AcidTrip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #19
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
Should i go hard and have this person booted, or take it easy?
Go your hardest I bet my balls you will not have the power to have him booted no matter how hard you try, but they might get a laugh out of you
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is no facing the wrong way! If it is private land, then he is not entering or facing the traffic.

I say ignore it, but document it with proof you were in the right. Wait until they send very nasty threatening letter, or even wait until they take you to court. Then just present your case - which is humiliating and expensive for them.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #21
nstg8a

why try and get him sacked? thats just petty imo.

hes made a mistake (apparently) so get it sorted, and get over it.

as for calling him a parasite etc, jeez, everyone has to earn a living. get over yourself
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I'd be walking into the council with all the necessary proof that you're on private property and good chance they'll drop the fine.

As for parking the wrong way on private property. It's got bugger all to do with the council. You can park how ever you want, because it is PRIVATE, not COUNCIL. Geez, you can have the car as a roller (ie no motor or gearbox) and there's bugger all the council can do.

As for getting the knob sacked. I doubt that'll happen, however I understand the OP's frustration. The ticket licker is just trying to get his quoter for the month.

Good luck with it and hopefully this is the last of your bad luck for the year. You seem to have had a rough trot of late

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #23
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that might work in tassie but in NSW they don't take you to court they send it to the SDRO . don't pay and they suspend your licence and rego
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
There is no facing the wrong way! If it is private land, then he is not entering or facing the traffic.

I say ignore it, but document it with proof you were in the right. Wait until they send very nasty threatening letter, or even wait until they take you to court. Then just present your case - which is humiliating and expensive for them.
they can't fine you for facing the wrong way on your own land they can only fine you if they catch you driving the wrong way coming out. it might sound like spliting hairs but thats the crazy way the law works
Quote:
Private property or not, you were facing the wrong way, meaning you have to drive into oncoming traffic to leave (even if there is no traffic). Thats what the fine is for.

Rides:

Old 02-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #24
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
So get this folks. Out the front of my workshop, i have private parking, as there is a waterboard drain running right at the front wall of my shop. It belongs to the property i rent, but because of the drain, the building is set further back. My parents have similar on their property, whereby they own it, but are restricted to where a fixed structure ends or begins. So today? parked on the private property which is part of my shop? some parasite from the council slaps a $143 fine on my wagon for facing the wrong direction of traffic. i even have it on my security cameras. so my point? i am so furious about this, and feel the absolute desire to have this imbecile fired. Why so harsh? If you look further up the laneway, another company has the same deal, and their spots are marked out with paint. clear as day to see, but this moron does not work it out that i may be in fact parked on private property. I have even sighted council proposed drawings which shows this to be private property.
So am i being too harsh because i am worked up at the moment? Should i go hard and have this person booted, or take it easy?

Mods, if this is the wrong spot, please feel free to move.

On a second point, i CAN NOT believe the amount these guys charge. can anyone say cash cow? that's a day and a half wages for most people.
Solicitors letter telling them to gagf as after all heir power to issue stops at the boundry in this case , nothing further will happen and make sure they know you are willing to take it o the relevent authorites etc etc as bviously the ranger is a dik
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #25
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
t they can't fine you for facing the wrong way on your own land they can only fine you if they catch you driving the wrong way coming out. it might sound like spliting hairs but thats the crazy way the law works
Keep in mind that davway is from Victoria and that is not the case here. The ownership of the land doesn't come into it here... it'll depend on whether the area is considered a "Road" a "Road Related Area" or "Shoulder" as per the Road Rules in Vic. Trying to work it out from the limited info we have, if this was in Vic I'm pretty sure what is desribed would be considere a "Road", and the OP would have to park in line with traffic flow and the fine would stand.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #26
barra265t
Banned

Hmm.. does a parked, unattended vehicle need to display a valid number plate and rego? Theoretically can't one fend off council parasites with an outdated interstate plate and reg sticker from the wreckers...
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Hmm.. does a parked, unattended vehicle need to display a valid number plate and rego? Theoretically can't one fend off council parasites with an outdated interstate plate and reg sticker from the wreckers...
If they check it out ... and find it's not matching I'd dare say they get the Police involved. And then I'd say a sticker gets left on the windscreen for it to be towed away to a holding yard ... just like leaving an unregistered vehicle parked on a public street.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #28
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A photo of location would be interesting.

If its your property, then how can they fine you. You can park upside on your own property if you like.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #29
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I have my own black ban on Ryde council.. I was charged for double parking with rotating light, hazard lights on work site ..
Checking a fault in a street light...
Well the street light can stay faulty !!!
We have to fill paperwork out BEFORE starting any work for
OH&S...
Any other work I get through them gets binned also...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #30
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 things here 1: he is in sydney 2: road related area applies here but road related area is on applicable to an area that is in use by the general public such as sa shopping centre car park.
this was not a road related are so the ranger was just a power hungry wannabe cop , no smart enough to make the academy so he gets off booking as many people as possible. I see it a lot with council rangers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
Keep in mind that davway is from Victoria and that is not the case here. The ownership of the land doesn't come into it here... it'll depend on whether the area is considered a "Road" a "Road Related Area" or "Shoulder" as per the Road Rules in Vic. Trying to work it out from the limited info we have, if this was in Vic I'm pretty sure what is desribed would be considere a "Road", and the OP would have to park in line with traffic flow and the fine would stand.

Rides: