Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Travel by road, Adelaide to Brisbane, without driving through a red zone?

Hi guys

I was planning a trip to Brisbane this end of year (we travel every year apart from the last 2 due to covid) but the recent announcement by Anastasia palace chook has sort of dented our plans. We had planned to cross the border on the 13th December but now as it stands it looks like the borders aren't opening to road visitors until 17th.

Obviously I could go via Birdsville but was hoping for more time efficient options. I have been via broken hill before but this route comes back in around Gilgandra which I think is still a red zone?? I haven't studied a road map yet to see if such a route exists.

I was going for 3 weeks so it's only the first week I'll have to abort at this stage.

Have I understood the travel restrictions correctly? Quarantine is not an option.

Any advice from those well travelled appreciated.
Old 25-10-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Travel by road, Adelaide to Brisbane, without driving through a red zone?

I don't really know the area but to avoid NSW and travel by main roads Birdsville looks like your only option 34 hrs..

to shortcut google maps says you can go though a place called Lindon SA but only save 3 hrs
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Travel by road, Adelaide to Brisbane, without driving through a red zone?

Yeah, I didn't think there was any options but thought I'd throw it out there... Guess I could hope that even if palace chook doesn't bring forward the border open date, that more rural areas in nsw will be taken off the hotspot list.
Old 25-10-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I can’t see either happening. It’s too politicized and the milestones/dates set by Queensland look like a pragmatic scheme to hold their ground so long as possible.

Can you not just leave a bit later? Lindon doesn’t look like a good plan in sumner heat…
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I can’t see either happening. It’s too politicized and the milestones/dates set by Queensland look like a pragmatic scheme to hold their ground so long as possible.

Can you not just leave a bit later? Lindon doesn’t look like a good plan in sumner heat…
Agree on the first and last points.

I was going for 3 weeks, so will still be going for 2 weeks. The first week is the issue and I have accommodation booked in Caloundra for that week. The resort are very understanding though and letting me keep the booking until the last minute to see what unfolds.

Not sure where the red zones are in nsw but I could go north from cobar to bourke then back across to moree then up to goondi... No idea what the roads are like or if it clears the hotspot areas.
Old 25-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty isolated areas, Personally I would still cut through Broken Hill and maybe enter QLD a bit Further out, just don't stop in NSW. surely that would be ok.
Old 25-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Pretty isolated areas, Personally I would still cut through Broken Hill and maybe enter QLD a bit Further out, just don't stop in NSW. surely that would be ok.
Can only go where the roads are and no unsealed roads for me.

Looks like Wilcannia and cobar are still red zones, otherwise the above route would work. Have to keep an eye on their status.

Yes, it's hot dry country and boring as bat poo...
Old 25-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there any likelihood of the 17th being brought forward? NSW hit 80% faster than expected... is that date contingent on vaccination level?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2021, 05:43 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Is there any likelihood of the 17th being brought forward? NSW hit 80% faster than expected... is that date contingent on vaccination level?
I think so but there isn't the urgency like there was in nsw. No lockdown in qld.

Plus all the qlders I know would be happy for the border to stay closed permanently.
Old 25-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

What about Broken Hill Tibooburra, Noccundra, Cunnamulla, St George, Toowoomba, 25hrs Adelaide to Brisbane.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
What about Broken Hill Tibooburra, Noccundra, Cunnamulla, St George, Toowoomba, 25hrs Adelaide to Brisbane.
Have you travelled this way? I'll look it up.

The other issue is, overnight accommodation could be questionable and it's not ideal to be driving through the night out there either. Driving the hay Plains etc at night is one thing but out there is another step up I believe. Talking about wildlife.

25hrs is not that much longer though. Normally it's around 20-22hrs of driving.
Old 25-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If you can legally (without speeding) pass through NSW in ~2H then you should be alright. Is this possible, though?

https://www.qld.gov.au/border-pass/application

Credit to the form’s composer, it doesn’t start with the personal details but works as a questionnaire of eligibility to enter.
Old 25-10-2021, 07:16 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Have you travelled this way? I'll look it up.

The other issue is, overnight accommodation could be questionable and it's not ideal to be driving through the night out there either. Driving the hay Plains etc at night is one thing but out there is another step up I believe. Talking about wildlife.

25hrs is not that much longer though. Normally it's around 20-22hrs of driving.
Cant say i have Rob but like you there's probably plenty doing it for the same reasons.
You could always take the Jayco for guaranteed accommodation then you can stop whenever you want to.
Alternatively, from Woodcroft to Broken hill via Northern expressway is a touch over 6hrs, you could do that in a day and more chance of accommodation there than anywhere else out that way, from there its 19hrs so you could push through as the last few hours are probably better from a wildlife perspective or stop at St George.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2021, 07:22 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Cant say i have Rob but like you there's probably plenty doing it for the same reasons.
You could always take the Jayco for guaranteed accommodation then you can stop whenever you want to.
Alternatively, from Woodcroft to Broken hill via Northern expressway is a touch over 6hrs, you could do that in a day and more chance of accommodation there than anywhere else out that way, from there its 19hrs so you could push through as the last few hours are probably better from a wildlife perspective or stop at St George.
We would normally travel through to around Parkes, sometimes Dubbo, if stopping overnight. Otherwise I drive straight through.

If the roads are sealed and there is available fuel, it's the best option so far though.
Old 25-10-2021, 07:23 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
If you can legally (without speeding) pass through NSW in ~2H then you should be alright. Is this possible, though?

https://www.qld.gov.au/border-pass/application

Credit to the form’s composer, it doesn’t start with the personal details but works as a questionnaire of eligibility to enter.
Need more than 2hrs...
Old 26-10-2021, 01:11 AM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is all of NSW a hotspot, or just specific areas? The transit time applies to travelling through a hotspot.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2021, 01:17 AM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Is all of NSW a hotspot, or just specific areas? The transit time applies to travelling through a hotspot.
https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condit...-to-queensland

If you scroll down to the map of australia, you'll see that apart from a reasonable 'border zone' that all of NSW is red.

Broken Hill is in the blue zone, but to get back to the 'main' travel corridor, its more than 2hrs worth of red in the way unfortunately.

Hoping that will change as the weeks progress. Not expecting QLD to open up early so hoping more of NSW gets taken off the red zone.
Old 26-10-2021, 02:38 AM   #18
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fly over NSW?
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2021, 04:27 AM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
All of NSW is a hot spot in Queensland’s purview. The “blue zone” relates to NSW people ordinarily resident in those areas, and Queenslanders entering for approved reasons.
Old 26-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Fly over NSW?
Too expensive.
Old 26-10-2021, 08:53 AM   #21
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Your going to notice the difference big time if you haven't been to Caloundra for a couple of years. We have a few extra southerners. Quite a few............
Old 26-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #22
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adelaide, Broken Hill, Wanaring, ST George, Brisbane should take 24 hrs.

and it turns off before Wilcannia if that's a Red zone.
Old 26-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #23
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

actually you should need to go through St George as upper NSW looks to be all Blue
Old 26-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #24
prydey
Rob

Not keen on travelling dirt/unsealed roads, so looking at some road atlas maps, much of north west NSW is unsealed when away from the main routes. The route Bent8 posted earlier has a lot of unsealed road sections.

The resource I was using was 2018 but I doubt any road improvements have been done since then out that way.

Appreciate the feedback though. If anyone has more updated maps that show the roads as sealed that would be good.
Old 26-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #25
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Broken Hill to Tibooburra has recently been sealed all the way.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #26
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Not keen on travelling dirt/unsealed roads, so looking at some road atlas maps, much of north west NSW is unsealed when away from the main routes. The route Bent8 posted earlier has a lot of unsealed road sections.

The resource I was using was 2018 but I doubt any road improvements have been done since then out that way.

Appreciate the feedback though. If anyone has more updated maps that show the roads as sealed that would be good.
I believe the route is sealed, though I imagine its like a runway strip down a wide dirt track

Last edited by Vesper Martini; 26-10-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 26-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #27
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My, probably unhelpful, 2c is we were in QLD and wanted to return back to SA via NSW (this was close to the time SA had the last lockdown)
I studied the maps and we were in a vehicle that wasn't going to like going the Birdsville route.
I couldn't see a way through so we headed back to NT and then down. (Lockdown struck as we went thru Alice.)
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #28
prydey
Rob

Actually looking again at the border restrictions I'm not sure it will make any difference even if I do avoid any red zones. I may still not be allowed in by road.

Press conference yesterday apparently she was pretty adamant the borders were unlikely to open prior to the 17th December for those travelling by road.

Realistically that's the scenario. The resort contacted me this morning saying in light of the most recent press conference I should cancel my booking.

I guess they only thing I have to establish is if I still have to avoid the red zones after the 17th or if it's open slather...

Thanks again folks.
Old 26-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #29
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I think that’s the most economical decision.

Also, looking at the ra-ra coming from some corners of government in Queensland suggesting under-vaccinated areas might experience snap lockdowns. If you were needing to travel through such an area to return, might it compromise your ability to re-enter SA? I note this particularly as SA has so far not provided a “roadmap” as proffered by most other states and territories.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 26-10-2021 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Speeling coerrction
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

It's an absolute nightmare travelling interstate recently - it's all well and good being let in but it's what your own state decides to do on a whim which is the problem.

WA and VIC locking their own citizens out of their own states at the whim of an outbreak interstate has been a big problem.

All this BS about travelling locally, would love to but I'm not sure my manager would be really keen on me being stuck at our Sydney branch for three months, the Sydney lads would be thankful though
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post