Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-10-2021, 10:54 PM   #1
slowsnake
Banned

Default Zoom

I know only that I have heard of it, Monday next I have a video appointment with a Barrister in Sydney, I live in Perth, I asked my lawyer's secretary if it was by Skype, or Blue Jean, she said no, by Zoom!

Question is do I have to download an app or is it another process?
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 11:03 PM   #2
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I know only that I have heard of it, Monday next I have a video appointment with a Barrister in Sydney, I live in Perth, I asked my lawyer's secretary if it was by Skype, or Blue Jean, she said no, by Zoom!

Question is do I have to download an app or is it another process?
They'll send you a link. Click on it and it should load in your browser. You won't have to "install" anything per say ahead of time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 11:04 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There is a Zoom app.

You used to be able to participate in a Zoom meeting without installing it, that may have changed.

…Beaten by a minute!
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2021, 11:21 PM   #4
slowsnake
Banned

Thank you both, they said I will get an email this week with appointment time, I always ask, for the difference in time zones, got caught out before, that was a solicitor, I am supposed to pay for missed appointments, wouldn't like to pay a barrister's hourly rate, so I will wait for this email and make sure I have a "link" to click on.

Thanks fellows.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2021, 11:26 PM   #5
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

…Beaten by a minute!
The Quick and the dead around here!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 05:37 AM   #6
Trevor 57
is now there

I use Zoom almost everyday, and some days I am on it for 7 or 8 hours - it is very simple to use and will be driven by their end, the posters above are spot-on, just click on the link, let it load and off you go

There is very little time delay, but you have to wait to each other finish talking
Old 19-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

preferably have a small video camera hooked into your 'puter, that way they can see that your paying attention and making the right facial expressions when they say something amazing and profound.
You are also allowed to swear at them when the invoice comes through....
Old 19-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #8
slowsnake
Banned

Yes I have a built in camera, not sure where, but last time I used Blue Jean?....I had only heard of Skype so there must be a lot of different ways to video, I am not savvy at all with this stuff, I couldn't even load a pdf link!...lol..

Thanks again fellows.
Old 19-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

See if you can get your neighbour to do a dummy run or two with you. That should leave you more familiar with the screen layout and how it operates.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #10
slowsnake
Banned

Yes CB, I will ask Brooke, she talks to dudes in the good ol US of A, plus my young dyslectic friend who is 10 years old makes his own movies for tik tok, he's very clever!
Old 19-10-2021, 09:05 AM   #11
coo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
See if you can get your neighbour to do a dummy run or two with you. That should leave you more familiar with the screen layout and how it operates.
Yes, very good advice. Do a test run with someone. Make sure you have a quiet place available. With a neutral background. Have your headset ready and tested.

I use Firefox as my general browser, but use MS Edge when zooming. From a perspective point of view, have your screen and camera on a little platform so you're not hunched over.

It will help you breathe, think clearly, give a better voice projection and cast a better presence. Also, when talking, try to look at the camera and not the screen.

Good luck.
coo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #12
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

You could also watch a youtube video which will show you how to connect to the meeting using the link provided. That way, if there is anything you are unsure about, you can just rewind back to where you need and review it as many times as you need.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m still expecting the cat to bomb the essential call!

And because I’m mistrustful of the way some people manipulate facts, no way would I do a video call with a solo child.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #14
slowsnake
Banned

Have Samsung Galaxy 8" Tab A, it worked on the Blue Jean app last year, but getting angle right was not easy, you are spot on thanks, I really need to get it right, I don't want money, but recognition from James Hardie that their products gave me lung cancer, not smoking, but asbestos, very hard to prove when I was a lifelong smoker, big fight ahead and I will most likely be dead at settlement, but this Barrister is the bees knees with asbestos related disease, harder not being face to face!
Old 19-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #15
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
You could also watch a youtube video which will show you how to connect to the meeting using the link provided. That way, if there is anything you are unsure about, you can just rewind back to where you need and review it as many times as you need.

Will do that directly!
Thank you all.
Old 19-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #16
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m still expecting the cat to bomb the essential call!

And because I’m mistrustful of the way some people manipulate facts, no way would I do a video call with a solo child.
I agree, but his Granny will be with him and Brookie and I on other end, she got out of hospital a week ago, and Brookie looked after Jamie on weekends, young lad has a very ****ed up family, he's super intelligent for 10 yrs old, his mum committed suicide, his dad dident want him, he lives in Germany so nil contact, so Gran took him in, but she has her own issues, yes its a very delicate situation!
Old 19-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Moved to the correct forum
Old 20-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #18
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

This video you sent is perfect Sky Pilot,lol...
Been through few times, and my docs secretary has offered to help me, said they will set me up on computer in their consulting rooms!...how cool is that!

Thank You.
Old 20-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #19
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
This video you sent is perfect Sky Pilot,lol...
Been through few times, and my docs secretary has offered to help me, said they will set me up on computer in their consulting rooms!...how cool is that!

Thank You.
Glad it was of some use, No Leg Slithery Thing.

As long as you feel somewhat comfortable to use the new technology so you can get done what you need to get done, that's the main thing.

Hope it all goes well.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #20
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Glad it was of some use, No Leg Slithery Thing.

As long as you feel somewhat comfortable to use the new technology so you can get done what you need to get done, that's the main thing.

Hope it all goes well.
All over thank you, my Doctors secretaries daughter set me up in a spare consulting room, did everything really, I just clicked video on, spent an hour talking then finished.
Too easy was worried over nothing.

Thanks fellows
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2021, 01:05 AM   #21
zilo
BANNED

It's applications like Zoom that show us just how crappy our internet is in Australia.

They all rave about download speed 50bmps,100mbps...blah blah.

But upload speeds are often 2-3 mbps ...

Thanks to Turnbull and the crap NBN upload speeds.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2021, 05:31 AM   #22
Trevor 57
is now there

I bet you are with Telstra? Is that correct?

I live in a regional city, signed up to NBN as soon as it became available, yes I got optic fibre right into my house (which apparently they are not doing now)

I gave Optus the **** at that time and went with Dodo, and nearly 4 years later - 2 TV's, 2 phones, a Ipad, 2 computers, a printer for emailing, add to that I have worked at home for the last 20 months, and at least once per week and sometimes twice I run Zoom sessions for 8 hours per day, and guess what NEVER EVER had an issue

Get away from Telstra, they are the worst NBN provider in Australia
Old 26-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #23
slowsnake
Banned

Yes Trev, but wireless, I have no signal some days if it's cloudy like today, plus I am in a little hollow, if I walk outside my meter shoots up to full bars, indoors it jumps around, I thought the planes maybe affect it, but yesterday was very important to me, I could not have hiccups, and my GP'S Secretary helped out, they were fantastic, same as everyone here, it was really stress I don't need, but I got the result, my cancer was not caused by smoking?

He said, asbestos and stainless steel welding plus radon exposure.
You wouldn't think radon from around your house and garden can be a cause of cancer?.....I dident know that, but I worked on a uranium mine, 1980-81 and it was stockpiled, the ore that is.
In the end it worked out OK, thank you