Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 11-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
berzerker
Starter Motor

Default Looking at a 93 telstar Need Opinions

Hi guys, upgrading from a nissan pintara 88 to a 93 Ford Telstar; heres the specs

Ford Telstar 93 coupe
v6 5sp Manual
173,000 on the clock
cdplayer
power windows
aircon

1 owner

Things that have concerned me, on the top of the rocker cover there was a bit of oil, didnt look fresh, this oil has also dripped down onto the alternator aswell (There wasnt heaps but im a bit fussy) . Im assuming either someone has driven the car without the oil cap on, someone has spilt oil when pouring it into the car, or the rocker cover will need replacing. Did the Telstars have any faults regarding oil leaks.

All of the electrics seem to be working, clutch is a bit worn but you can expect that in a 93 car, does anyone have a common fault list, i couldnt find any rust or leaks. Im getting it for 6000 including 6 months rego and a service. Ive looked around and it seems to be the going price.

I was looking at magnas falcons and commodores but ive really been won over by the telstar, it packs a punch and its a very luxiourious (sp?) car. Im 18 so id like this car to last me a few years until i can upgrade to another car.

Im asking for anyone whos owned a telstar or known anyone whos owned a telstar for their opinions.

Cheers - Nick

berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

well dont pay more than au $4500 and that would have to be a top car --$6000 is way to much
I seen advertised telstar 92 tx ghia and turbos with extras for as low as $3000
the tappet cover gaskets will have to be changed and the engine degreased before it passes a roadworthy /rego slips

get an independent vehicle condition report

check it over for broken cv boots and engine mounts
find out how much for a new clutch
the gearbox comes out from underneath
check the cooling system and water pump are not leaking replace the fuel filter and timing belt to be changed at 200,000 km
still as heavy on petrol as the magna and commadore

good thing it is a manual
mazda parts fit

Last edited by dirty hands; 11-06-2006 at 09:36 PM.
dirty hands is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
berzerker
Starter Motor

thanks for the reply, its probrobly a bit more expensive because its through a dealer, only reason im doing that is because im sick of the hassle of trying to sell my pintara privately. While i would love turbo insurance etc would just be way to high for me.

CV Joints are a-ok from the inspection today, i'll also check the aircon as i was told that some old aircon systems have to be converted over to the later model ozone friendly.

I'm going to do a bit of shopping around before i make the plunge, are they a decent all rounder car? I do mainly freeway commuting, and around the suburbs during the weekends.
berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
dirty hands
Over Thinker

yes to have the new gas the system needs a dryer as long as the tx valve is ok
it shouldn't cost more than $200 for the air con. did you look at ebays telstars ? and cars for sale online type sites also the trading post for other prices
(pintara not so popular nowadays still its a good car really)

yes that telstar will do the job you require
Old 12-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
warbo
Starter Motor

I had a 93 manual TX5 and had a similair sounding oil leak, pull off the spark plug leads and see if there is any oil down in there, cause if there is walk away cost me the best part of $800 to get it fixed. Timing belts on them are not cheap either, that said no maintence on them are that cheap cause the parts are really dear.

Petrol i used to get around 350-400 to a tankful around town, and around 500 on the highway, if you rip into them they suck it down really quick. I got mine with 70000k on it and sold it 18 months later with 140000k and had a few issues here and there. If you want to know more details let me know.

I got an 8k trade in on mine 18 months ago if that helps u with values
warbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post