Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 31-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Default Hill Start Assist Not Available after removing control arm

Hi all,

I replaced my Ford Focus LW (2011) electric steering rack (and tire rod ends) with (with a lot of help!)

New rack is working perfectly, however I now get an error when I start "Hill Start Assist Not Available". According to my ELM327, there are no faults

I had to remove the lower control arm, and the ABS sensor.

There was a odd metal clip thing on top of the lower control arm ball joint (found a photo on the internet here, it sat where the blue line is).

Any ideas what's the culprit here?

Is there some sensor or error I'm likely to have made in this area?

Thanks
mcfee03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hill Start Assist Not Available after removing control arm

I do not know the system well but check the ABS sensor behind the disc rotor as that is used tio tell if the car is rolling. Otherwise there is a sensor that tells the car if its on a slope that may be an issue
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Sensor seems to be connected fine on the back ABS disc. Could it be related to this clippy thing? I’ve just removed the whees to photograph it. I don’t remember how it was originally, but it doesn’t look right just flapping about...

Photo taken from the lower control arm, behind the disc brake

Old 04-04-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Resetting the codes didn’t help add the errors reappeared immediately.

I “reset” the codes by disconnecting both positive & negative on the battery, and then connecting them together.

Still no codes show up on my ELM327 (odb)

Anyone have a suggestion on what to try next?
Old 05-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

When fitting the rack, was the steering column locked into place or was it free to spin around? If it was left free to spin around it could have damaged the clock spring or the steering sensor or just fitted in the wrong position (180 degrees out) which may not bring on any codes (although you usually see communication U codes present) but prevent operation of some systems like hill assist etc. You also need to have checked that the hill assist function is still turned on in the central car configuration (you need a diagnostic too to access). I have seen this get turned off for no apparent reason apart from a system glitched.

Is it the correct rack for the vehicle? There are several different racks for the LW Focus pending month/year and build specification.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #6
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Hello again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
was the steering column locked into place or was it free to spin around?
Unfortunately no- it was not locked in position. It was able to spin free. How can I determine if this is causing the code/issue?

Quote:
You also need to have checked that the hill assist function is still turned on in the central car configuration
Can I do this with the ELM327? That's the only diagnostic tool I have.

Quote:
Is it the correct rack for the vehicle?
Yep- it's the correct rack and is working well so far.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Do all the functions available on the steering wheel work including wipers/blinkers, steering wheel switches etc?

I am not familiar with ELM, but does it have a function that shows you the steering angle sensor in degrees? In the straight ahead position in should read 0 and then as you turn right +ve degrees and -ve when turned left. See if you can do that?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #8
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
Do all the functions available on the steering wheel work including wipers/blinkers, steering wheel switches etc?
Yeh it all works perfectly- steering wheel buttons & wipers

We did have use a lot of force on the left control arm hard (hit with a sledge hammer to get it off). It was completely stuck on the control arm ball joint.

Could I have damaged something significant when doing that?

Quote:
shows you the steering angle sensor in degrees?
I have spent a while trying to get this to work with the ELM (requires adding custom PID). It keeps returning "No Data", although I'd say this is from my setup error not the car