Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #211
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Why ... when you can have this for just over $30K with just over 100,000km on it.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19449729/?Cr=1
Dont get me wrong i agree , id not spend that sorta money on a vs ute but makes me wonder who would spend it and if i threw mine up at 20 grad if someone would seriously pay it !
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2021, 08:54 PM   #212
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey-AMG View Post
Listed sale prices are high but not sure how many are changing hands at those prices - plenty of speculators looking to cash in but plenty not taking the bait as well. See plenty of FPV's for sale with very high KLM and lacking service history. Russian roulette.. much
Yes that's true. There would be plenty of those who will sell one for the right price but not actively looking for a sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT
Mum nearly sold her VXII SS Commodore for 12K about 5 years ago.

Worth double that easy now as one of the best untouched examples in Australia......and going up.
I've been playing around with the idea of getting an older model V8 (VT-VZ) but they are as old as my car, high kms, lack as many features and depending on what you get
not a performance improvement on what I already have. It would be a better cruiser however, I do 60kms round trip a day and most of it highway kays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
WNII Caprices are much cheaper than VFII anything LS3
It still was when I last looked not that long ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Yep, certainly are.

I'm not sure why LWB cars are worth less than their povvo counterparts, you get more car for less money and nicer interior in exchange for looking like you drive from Melbourne CBD to Melbourne Airport for a living
If you are looking for a Caprice then they are good value but they not only bigger than what I would require they are not a sport car and no manual option. You can say the same for Calais too.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #213
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post

I've been playing around with the idea of getting an older model V8 (VT-VZ) but they are as old as my car, high kms, lack as many features and depending on what you get
not a performance improvement on what I already have. It would be a better cruiser however, I do 60kms round trip a day and most of it highway kays..
Mums V8 SS is going up by the day. It is perfect condition.

My car is better in every way (especially inside) but the market does not want mine it wants the V8 (best in Aust VXII IMO)

The market decides what is value, not what we think of our own cars

Last edited by MercuryT; 11-02-2021 at 09:22 PM.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2021, 10:53 PM   #214
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
If I was going to buy a 2015-6 V8 - Make mine a FORD FGX XR8 thanks!!!
As much as I'd love one ... you cant get one for that price.
And in the end with the RWD development ... Holden actually churned out a half decent car that I really wouldn't turn down.

That and the fact there is more of them on the used market than the Falcon now. If I had the spare $$$$ to get something like it ... I would. It's the last of the Aussie car makers V8s.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2021, 04:15 AM   #215
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can pick up a FG-X XR8 for 50-60k that is pretty good. S/C goodness.

I was looking at cars again tonight. Found a decent Monaro V2 manual with 150k kms for $35k.

Also found a 99 VT II Executive manual LS1. Ex cop so a bit rough in the interior but 190k kms for $15.5k with quite a few mods.
Old 13-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #216
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems cars really bottomed out around 2015-16. During this time I bought a VX calais LS1 for 2k, and a bunch of AU fairlanes for 500 bucks each, LOL, including a silver v8 series 2 sportsman, which had an LTD grill and the 17" spoked alloys on it on top of all the sportsman bits. Granted that all had clearcoat issues except a dynamic white AU 1 six fairlane I have, but they are worth more than that to me in parts.

I remember seeing a series 1 cv8 for 12k at albury/wodonga around that time also, shouldve bought it, it was phantom black too, my favourite colour.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #217
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mates parents had a nice Fairlane Sportsman back when I was in highschool. I don't see many AU Fairlanes around here these days.
Old 22-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #218
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Now the vaccination is beginning, will some of the “COVID prices” start to level up?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #219
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
My mates parents had a nice Fairlane Sportsman back when I was in highschool. I don't see many AU Fairlanes around here these days.
Well there were not that many sold in the first place I guess, and with attrition I doubt there are many left now, they are thin on the ground.

I think a lot of decent AU fairlanes that did have potential to live on (and some LTD's) saw the end of their lives the past 5 years or so as they got old and taken to wreckers or dismantled by people for parts.

We've all seen this play out before with the 70s and 80s cars (and some 90s now) that seemed like old junk at the time that many of us sold for stuff all, and are now worth good money.

Will that continue to happen with 2000s cars? I dont know, electric might change the game this time especially if govts force the issue.
Old 22-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #220
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Now the vaccination is beginning, will some of the “COVID prices” start to level up?
Perhaps depends on the type of vehicle. The used ones that do have new alternatives may stop climbing, the commercial stuff maybe.

But Im thinking our local RWD V8 sedans for one thing will do ok because there aren't really many new alternatives. There is imported performance stuff of course but typically a lot more dollars to maintain (or fix if things go really wrong).

I think many people still find the relative simplicity of the GM and Ford V8's as well as the barra cars appealing for many reasons.

Every day there are less and less of these cars also because in this country cars are declared stat write offs quite easily. I should probably be at the auctions rounding up performance Holdens and Fords and sending them to NZ or somewhere else (USA?) to save them LOL, here they are snapped up and pulled apart, some are not hit very hard at all.

It seems like a bit of a travesty to me to see lightly hit HSV's and FPV's especially get stripped down and ultimately scrapped.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 11:02 AM   #221
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some of the older less reliable cars will drop off in value i think, once people start going to back to the office and spending money on travel the Falcon V8 project they paid top dollar for will sit in the garage until the wife says, "you need to sell that POS so we can go to Bali"
a mate is in that spot now, bought a V8 Falcon and now work has normalised and less time at home its up forsale as is, half pulled apart and out of rego. my own missus made me buy a project and now i'm back at work i want to sell it to recover some money to spend on keeping my daily on the road. i'll probably get it registered first but now i'm in a hurry to do so... meaning i'll sell cheaper than i wanted to.

there must be other people who as in the same boat now and alot will be the same in a few months after the vax rolls out

also once car imports ramp up the overprice hilux's and rangers will drop hard when the discounts start rolling in on new ones
and the proper 4x4's will drop after overseas travel gets going.

"all just my opinion with no facts at all"
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #222
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Do people want to travel overseas now?

I don’t do social media so I miss out on any noises made there.

If it’s the case then all the “forever” treechangers will likely be bailing back to cities again too.
Old 22-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #223
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Do people want to travel overseas now?

I don’t do social media so I miss out on any noises made there.

If it’s the case then all the “forever” treechangers will likely be bailing back to cities again too.
Things will go back to normal in a year or so IMO.

Personally we were happy to give travel a miss this year, see how Japan and EU is going next year and make a call. 2022 might be a quiet one too but I cant see it being an indefinite.

Being crapping about the "new normal" are scaremongers IMO and were pushing the headlines to get compliance straight up, I dont blame them, but I guess we will see how good the vaccine is in 6-12 months.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 12:35 PM   #224
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Things will go back to normal in a year or so .......

..........Being crapping about the "new normal" are scaremongers IMO and were pushing the headlines to get compliance straight up, I dont blame them, but I guess we will see how good the vaccine is in 6-12 months.
I hope prices drop off. Our current car is getting long in the tooth, and maintaining it is cheaper than inflated used prices. Replacing it in the current market would an expensive exercise. For that reason i worry a bit about it being written off by an insurance company in the event of a minor incident, because even minor shunts can mean big repair costs.

Interesting comments about project cars.... I wonder about the number of cars bought speculatively. They can't all have been,but the more desirable (at least to me) cars have all but disappeared off the market, or been priced into the stratosphere.

Ute tragic.

Last edited by anobserver; 22-02-2021 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #225
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

It's interesting to see a 5 year old XR6 go from a $20,000 or below purchase to a $30,000+ proposition.

This 2015 FG-X with 70,000 km is $31,888.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...gType=showcase

And this 2014 with 55,000 km is $29,888.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...9501709/?Cr=10

Resale value was always terrible on Falcon's. Seems all Ford had to do was to stop making them. That's about 75% resale value after 6 or 7 years, not bad at all.

I paid $59,000 for my XR8 in 2014, it's probably worth more than that now. Not often that sort of thing happens, especially on something as common as a Ford Falcon.

And no, my XR8 is NOT for sale.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #226
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

I have been watching amarok prices for over a year now as I’ll buy one when production stops for the new model.

1 year ago I could get the sportline model for 48 drive away. Now that is 56 drive away. Hopefully next year I’ll grab one under 48
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #227
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A client of mine just sold his 5yo Prado for $68k, he paid $75k new.
I’m surprised by the big dealers in Adelaide trying to flog 3yo Hyundai accents for 17,18 and 19k. They were $16.5k drive away with auto when new!

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 22-02-2021, 11:10 PM   #228
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
It's interesting to see a 5 year old XR6 go from a $20,000 or below purchase to a $30,000+ proposition.

This 2015 FG-X with 70,000 km is $31,888.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...gType=showcase

And this 2014 with 55,000 km is $29,888.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...9501709/?Cr=10

Resale value was always terrible on Falcon's. Seems all Ford had to do was to stop making them. That's about 75% resale value after 6 or 7 years, not bad at all.

I paid $59,000 for my XR8 in 2014, it's probably worth more than that now. Not often that sort of thing happens, especially on something as common as a Ford Falcon.

And no, my XR8 is NOT for sale.
Compared to what they used to be ... the prices are crazy now.
Especially the price of ex-NSW HWP turbos. No thanks.

your looking at a 5-6 year old car well out of warranty.

They used to be good deals ... but definitely not worth it at those prices now.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 11:22 PM   #229
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I remembered “Laura81” selling a tidy FG XR6 last year for $9K to part fund a Territory. The same transaction now would probably include cash her way!
Old 03-03-2021, 01:03 AM   #230
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

A friend in Launceston is looking for a smaller, newer 4x or SUV on a tight budget. Historically Tas used car prices have been quite a bit higher but they’re closer to parity with the mainland now because ours have risen so much - who’da thunk it?
Old 03-03-2021, 06:43 AM   #231
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Compared to what they used to be ... the prices are crazy now.
Especially the price of ex-NSW HWP turbos. No thanks.

your looking at a 5-6 year old car well out of warranty.

They used to be good deals ... but definitely not worth it at those prices now.
Interestingly if you compare a BF
/FG XR6T to a JZS171 Toyota Crown or JZS161 Aristo, the XR6T is good value for money - the XR6T is the better buy for the same price point.

In this regard it's good value, but everything is drug money now.

As a secondary car/project I think an XR6T is a solid buy in that $20K-$30K price point compared to other forced induction cars asking the same coin.

Who remembers the days of R33 GTR Skyline in the same price point lol 💸💸💸

2001-2006 Ford F250/F350 is also drug spondoolies, clapped out ****boxen with 300,000km going for $50K+

Selling 1997 Holden Caprice, driven by respectful elderly gentleman to Bocce once a week, one owner since new, $35,000 no timewasters

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 03-03-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #232
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
some of the older less reliable cars will drop off in value i think, once people start going to back to the office and spending money on travel the Falcon V8 project they paid top dollar for will sit in the garage until the wife says, "you need to sell that POS so we can go to Bali"
a mate is in that spot now, bought a V8 Falcon and now work has normalised and less time at home its up forsale as is, half pulled apart and out of rego. my own missus made me buy a project and now i'm back at work i want to sell it to recover some money to spend on keeping my daily on the road. i'll probably get it registered first but now i'm in a hurry to do so... meaning i'll sell cheaper than i wanted to.

there must be other people who as in the same boat now and alot will be the same in a few months after the vax rolls out

also once car imports ramp up the overprice hilux's and rangers will drop hard when the discounts start rolling in on new ones
and the proper 4x4's will drop after overseas travel gets going.

"all just my opinion with no facts at all"
Spot on
Once supply chains recover and the new car market gets flooded again and the VAX reaches most of the population, these inflated prices will drop hard.
Manufacturers don't want you to buy second hand so the efforts to get people into new cars will be epic. Hell..... all those folks hanging onto all those AU falcons may even be tempted to get into something new..

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2021, 03:22 AM   #233
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

AU and B-Series ute prices continue to soften. A few relative bargains are appearing, spotted an XR6T with light tub damage for $6,5K. Bottom of the barrel is still a good thousand above this time last year.

Territories are trending similarly. LX470 Lexi, however - the beaters are $5K or more up on 12 months’ hindsight. Australia remains very much in the grip of an SUV passion.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #234
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Dipping in and out of an online Pickles (Sydney) auction this morning. Not a lot of enthusiasm at the starting prices, a blue Kruger is seeing some movement from $6K opening bid, and clearly a couple of people want a white E-Klasse.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #235
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ive seen some prices sofen a bit, bring on end of March.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2021, 11:21 AM   #236
Stubbie

Try and buy a V8 Toyota Landcruiser. One of my nephews bought a Landcruiser about 7 years ago for around $35k. Sold it recently to a car dealer who drove to his country town to buy it for I think around $42k. They are probably selling for $55k. I think Toyota has stopped making the V8 so people are paying stupid prices for them.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #237
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Intéressant. That’s likely what is pushing the used prices of LX470/570 upwards.

I really thought it would have carried the Kruger more, but perhaps Toyota has too many models below the Cruiser for one to clearly lead.

White one went up quite a bit more, blue one stopped as shown.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #238
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

People are just too greedy, one little thing and they mark up their prices and take advantage of their fellow man...well I say stuff you to them...
My FG won't be going for those marked up Covid19 prices. I want it gone for a realistic reasonable price... Some lucky bastard will get the deal of the century very soon lol.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #239
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Keep it, you daft bugger!
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #240
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2008 G6E that has been around a bit with nearly 700k km

https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-77821...etrol?spr=true

Big respect if original engine/trans/diff

I've seen cars with less than 150k km with more wear on driver's seat than that