Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #121
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
The owner is not the one buying it.
Has the owner made comment about your offer? Have you put your offer forward at all?
Old 14-08-2020, 11:22 PM   #122
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm fully aware of the the different specifications and I believe that amount of discount is achievable. I'm offering $23k for a car that is worth way way less than the advertised prices.

Just because someone advertises a car at a certain price, it in no way means that is the true worth.
Definition of "true worth" would be interesting . As there are many ways to value a car. Personally, i would not advertise a car for $30 k (i price my cars realistically) and accept $23k but your mileage may vary.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2020, 11:56 PM   #123
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm fully aware of the the different specifications and I believe that amount of discount is achievable. I'm offering $23k for a car that is worth way way less than the advertised prices.

Just because someone advertises a car at a certain price, it in no way means that is the true worth.
Please send that to seller and screenshot and post replies in this thread.
You are forgetting that he's not ringing you trying to sell it, you're ringing him trying to buy it.

I get where you're coming from but unless the cars got damage or youve got something to pin him on its not happening mate, waste of time.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 11:58 PM   #124
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And if you want to talk about what cars are "worth" thats a whole different discussion. Its worth what the market dictates its worth.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-08-2020, 12:49 AM   #125
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Nah, don't get me wrong I agree anyone should spend the way they see fit, I just really wanted to know why parents did that.
i went straight from school to work within 4 days and never was given the opportunity, they had this thing called a bus when i was young.

Spammy hope you find the car your after, mate.
Went from school to an apprenticeship. The catch was training was 55ks away from home...spent the time between ending school and starting work obtaining license with borrowed money to buy just a single lesson to know how I was going and to pay for the test. Then borrowed more for a cheap 4cyl Dato to start said apprenticeship. Now making money, so debt repaid at monthly fee.
I needed a car before I had the chance to make the money I needed to buy it.
I can see why it happens.
I also know why you made your point because I've watched many parents hand over cars while I decided to help my kids only when they help themselves first if you get me....each to their own I guess
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2020, 02:14 AM   #126
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a lot of posters jumping on their high-horses in this thread, and there's no call for it. But the mentality does demonstrate why a lot of us can't be bothered dealing with Gumtree Whackos.

A seller naturally wants to get the best price possible. Nothing wrong with that.
So too, the buyer, and again nothing wrong with that.
A person offering less than the asking price is not "lowballing scum" nor in the wrong in any way. No more than the seller is in the wrong for his asking price.

A car is worth exactly what somebody is prepared to pay, and not a cent more. A car that does not sell over a period of time is, by definition, overpriced, at least for that period. If a car sits there, price unchanged for several months, before finally selling, that doesn't mean it wasn't originally overpriced, it just means that the market eventually moved.

Furthermore there are different buyers out there with different motivations. One may be prepared to pay top dollar to get the car they favour, whilst another may be driven more by price. Neither is in the wrong, that's just personal preference.

And I just cannot understand people who get so upset by low offers. If you have already rejected a higher offer, then just say so, and move on. Otherwise be grateful that you at least got an offer. And there's no magical formula to determine the reasonableness of an offer. It really depends on the rest of the market. An offer $10k below the asking price may STILL be the best offer received.

I see a lot of delusional advertising. Would I be justified insulting and abusing the seller because their price is too high?? No? Then why do you feel justified abusing buyers and calling them names?
3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #127
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
And I just cannot understand people who get so upset by low offers
Having sold a very popular late model car for a family member 2yrs ago I found low ball offers was a big waste my time. Especially when the offers were way below market price. There was time I had to prepare the car, drive over and meet the person / people. I suppose it is all part of trying to sell a car. It doesn't mean I have to like. I told one person they had wasted my time with a ridiculous offer.

On used car prices my observation is the last of locally manufactured Holdens and Fords are going up. I'm still trying to understand the factors driving prices up. For example is it lack of supply and people shifting from new to secondhand.

Last edited by Swordie; 15-08-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #128
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Having sold a very popular late model car for a family member 2yrs ago I found low ball offers was a big waste my time. Especially when the offers were way below market price. There was time I had to prepare the car, drive over and meet the person / people. I suppose it is all part of trying to sell a car. It doesn't mean I have to like. I told one person they had wasted my time with a ridiculous offer.
I now its very frustrating, taking time to meet people, show them the car, test-drive etc, and in some cases even let them take it for mechanical inspection.

I had a guy who seemed very genuine, made a reasonable offer, paid a deposit subject to mechanical inspection, took it for said inspection which apparently turned up nothing specific (It was a 15 year old car that had done 150kk) but still pulled out of the deal.
The Irony is that he wasted far more time than somebody sending me a low-ball text.

I'd actually prefer that people low-ball up front, and so not waste both our times.

And reality is that every seller is different, and some are very unpredictable, so you can't tell who might except a low offer. It does sometimes happen.
Old 15-08-2020, 10:06 PM   #129
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

This came up on my searches tonight. I’d have thought it should be 25% more.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/moru...her/1254327796

Not everything is “Corona priced” yet!
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2020, 11:42 PM   #130
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah they seem to be getting dearer as they get older.Wasn’t all that long ago a real good original would sell for $1500-2000 and most thought that was double what they were really worth
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2020, 01:00 AM   #131
wackyv8
wackyv8

accept / except - totally difffferent things crazy dazz.

also, proofreading seems a thing of the past.
wackyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #132
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My experience is that lowball offers are typically via text only after zero other contact, sent late at night and within the first 24hrs of the ad appearing.
There seems a great reluctance, even fear, for many buyers to actually call and speak to the seller.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #133
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
This came up on my searches tonight. I’d have thought it should be 25% more.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/moru...her/1254327796

Not everything is “Corona priced” yet!
25% more rollover factor. What Masseys are known for.

That price is normal IMO There are a couple for sale here atm petrol are usually 1800 -2500 diesels 2500 4000.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2020, 06:02 PM   #134
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit hard to see,but pretty sure that is a petrol,with the updraught carby
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2020, 06:09 PM   #135
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Bit hard to see,but pretty sure that is a petrol,with the updraught carby
Yep basically $1800 worth + you get to pay $2000 for the slasher and $200 for the ROPS

Old 16-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #136
Pis-ton broke
Banned

superwog on car dealerships
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R4C0rM62u8
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #137
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
My experience is that lowball offers are typically via text only after zero other contact, sent late at night and within the first 24hrs of the ad appearing.
There seems a great reluctance, even fear, for many buyers to actually call and speak to the seller.
^^^^Exactly,I refuse to deal with anyone who Will not Ring & Speak to Me. Soon sorts out the Tyre kickers & the Fair Dinkum Ones.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2020, 03:15 AM   #138
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
^^^^Exactly,I refuse to deal with anyone who Will not Ring & Speak to Me. Soon sorts out the Tyre kickers & the Fair Dinkum Ones.
No, no it doesn't.
And people's attitudes towards different forms of communication continue to amaze me.
I don't particularly like texting, that's a combination of personal preference, big thumbs, and poor eyesight. But I don't knock those who like the medium.
Me, I like email, much better for communicating and retaining facts, than phone calls.
When people post ads online, but then say "phone calls only cos I don't check my emails", I'm forced to assume they are dodgy liars who don't want their lies recorded for prosperity.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #139
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
No, no it doesn't.
And people's attitudes towards different forms of communication continue to amaze me.
I don't particularly like texting, that's a combination of personal preference, big thumbs, and poor eyesight. But I don't knock those who like the medium.
Me, I like email, much better for communicating and retaining facts, than phone calls.
When people post ads online, but then say "phone calls only cos I don't check my emails", I'm forced to assume they are dodgy liars who don't want their lies recorded for prosperity.
Having a sideline business on Gumtree and don't like their email messaging, all the time wasting back and forth email crap.
Working in so many country areas with bad phone reception , let alone 4G data, I prefer TXT as its short and to the point.
It takes to much time going through checking stupid questions they ask and as the items I sell are posted only with the occasional pick up if they are local.
Even in the ad I insist TXT and phone me only but still get stupid requests via their email msgs. At least via a phone call you can normally gauge the subject intelligence of the caller and they can assume you know what you are talking about ie the product being sold.

Obviously, Stonemasonry wise I much prefer email as this kind of work requires more in depth quoting and planning.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #140
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

So am I the only one noticing a few more toys coming onto the market in the past couple of weeks?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #141
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
So am I the only one noticing a few more toys coming onto the market in the past couple of weeks?
Lot more COBRAS than usual.....
Job keeper woes ?

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #142
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
No, no it doesn't.
I'm the same - email contact is king because searchable paper trails.

I average 60 emails a day in my professional life and around 40 calls.

The problem with phone calls is they require immediate drop everything attention to deal with it properly and then if it's not backed up by emails it turns into your word vs theirs when they deny something was said.

Oh and apparently I talk 'too fast' to be understood over phones
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #143
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Toys maybe, but mainstream Ford enthusiast stock like V8 XRs, BA-BF Fairlanes/LTDs, GTs, etc. has dried up completely or are flogged-out examples that have been listed for eons.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #144
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey-AMG View Post
Lot more COBRAS than usual.
Probably more than there was made
Old 12-09-2020, 11:55 PM   #145
stock1991
Limited supply

Everyone wants to pay a little and get a lot, if you are smart. Reality is you cant pay a little and get a lot. at least in my world, So you create and succeed, it should be easy
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #146
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any result here spammy? Get your $30k car for $20k?
Old 15-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #147
brianr
Starter Motor

Hi I am considering selling a ZC Fairlane 351. Have matching numbers etc and spares. Needs some work. Anyone have an idea what it would be worth and where is best to advertise. Tia Brian
brianr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #148
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr View Post
Hi I am considering selling a ZC Fairlane 351. Have matching numbers etc and spares. Needs some work. Anyone have an idea what it would be worth and where is best to advertise. Tia Brian
I guess it comes down to what "needs some work" means. Body, trim, mechanical or all 3? Tidy up or restoration? ZC 351 is desirable, but is it T-Bar, air conditioning, sunroof, etc? How's your kms?

Remember that a Fairlane costs as much as a GT to restore.

Your best bet is to scour Gumtree, Carsales, Shannons, Lloyds and other specialist car sale sites for the last year and see how your car stacks up against ZC/D sales then come to a price accordingly. I'd send it to auction if it was me. Seems to be getting the better prices this year.

Or... put in a shed and chuck a ton of rat/chook droppings and dust on it and get Lloyds to auction it

~$20k if a refresh needed.

HTH
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #149
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post some pictures of it on here. You never know who is looking for a project.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #150
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

T code?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post