Default Re: Mustang Pricing

cheap! Goodluck buying one this year though
BK-XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

It's May now, your posting a link from March.

Well done.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Was looking forward to buying one, then saw the pricetag and the ensuing flood of ex-commodore buyers who will be buying one. Mustang will become as common as a Toyota 86. Ford Australia, with their dismal marketing and uninspiring service are really more suited to be a high-margin niche car company than a volume seller..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #5
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Was looking forward to buying one, then saw the pricetag and the ensuing flood of ex-commodore buyers who will be buying one. Mustang will become as common as a Toyota 86. Ford Australia, with their dismal marketing and uninspiring service are really more suited to be a high-margin niche car company than a volume seller..
You're complaining the price is too low?? That is a new one...

I can't see them sell heaps of them. They are still 45K plus on road & 55K + on road for the V8's. That isn’t' exactly cheap if you say me!! And the 86 is 30K plus on road. Pretty big difference IMO
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
nadojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Haha people really wont buy them because they are to cheap and commodore drivers will buy them? Thats a new one, hate to break it to you but lots of people have owned Falcons and Commodores.
nadojay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd have thought that if you don't want a car that's too cheap or too common, Ford is not for you.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadojay View Post
Haha people really wont buy them because they are to cheap and commodore drivers will buy them? Thats a new one, hate to break it to you but lots of people have owned Falcons and Commodores.
If the choice is between a commodore replacement fwd or awd and a v8 mustang, the choice is easy. I can see the mustang becoming as common as SS commodores.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #9
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

A few orders so far.
Well according to this;
http://www.caradvice.com.au/356322/2...s-from-launch/
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 12:33 AM   #10
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are a mean looking vehicle but I can't get past that awful cheap interior.
Old 26-05-2015, 01:13 AM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
You're complaining the price is too low?? That is a new one...

I can't see them sell heaps of them. They are still 45K plus on road & 55K + on road for the V8's. That isn’t' exactly cheap if you say me!! And the 86 is 30K plus on road. Pretty big difference IMO
It's what I've always said...it's quite blatantly obvious that there is a worryingly large percentage of people who actually want the Mustang to be expensive as possible and not imported in large numbers, to keep it "exclusive", so they can smugly sit back and bathe in the glory of owning a rare vehicle.

Of course they forget a few points.
Volume sells and more importantly keeps a car on sale. Small numbers don't make bean counters happy...sell too few and they'll just drop it from the lineup.
Next, the Mustang isn't an exclusive rare and limited edition car in the USA...they're a normal family car, albeit one with two doors. You see them everywhere. Look at the starting price over there...people buy them just as a normal car.

And this is exactly what a lot of people don't want to see...they want to retain a certain exclusivety, a look-at-me-you-plebs attitude that means they don't want to see lots of Mustangs sitting in car parks everywhere from engineering firms to ordinary driveways to sitting in the K-Mart carpark. They want the Mustang to be in limited numbers and certainly not something you see a dozen of every day.

Given the sub-$45,000 price point (probably much less with sharp sales discounting) it will be starting at in Australia, they might just be disappointed...apparently the ecoboost is a great powerplant, and it will ensure people see it as a viable family car alternative...looks, styling, and four cylinder rego. What's not to like? They'll walk out the door.

I'll just be happy to see the "keep it exclusive" brigade screaming in frustration when the things start turning up in big numbers in the hands of...shock horror!...ordinary people...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #12
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST View Post
How many have you sat in to form that opinion ?
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #13
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
How many have you sat in to form that opinion ?
Yes, interesting isn't it?

There have been viewings over the weekend in the UK and a couple of the guys who frequent the Mustang6g forums have commented the car looks much better in the metal, the panel fitment was pretty good and the interior also was well finished.

One even compared it to Audi - that might be stretching it a bit but it seems far from awful and cheap.

I'm looking forward to scrutinising one when our dealer has a viewing night as I'm more concerned over panel alignment than anything else.

On the subject of pricing, we realise the Mustang is not "exclusive" and intend to use it more like a daily driver, in other words the Terri will be the workhorse, the R-Spec the weekend warrior and the Mustang the school bus.
Old 26-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #14
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Order now, take delivery around August/September next year. Well that's what we're telling people.
Every month you wait to order is possibly another 2 months added onto the wait time too.
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
73 Z28 RS Camaro. 6.0 LS. Coilovers. 18x9 / 18x10.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaldo View Post
A few orders so far.
Well according to this;
http://www.caradvice.com.au/356322/2...s-from-launch/
Far cry from the 15000 (or was it 20000) "orders" (likes) they said they had (which were really just expressions of interest).

Dont get me wrong, I want it to do well. Just waiting to see if its really all just a bubble.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the Ecoboost one is indeed going to be priced to compete sharply with things like hot hatches, WRX's, and the like, I wonder how much competitive pricing discounts will be done to get the name spread around a bit?

Honestly, they should be trying to get as many people as possible from as wide a range of demographic as possible to buy the things...you don't get anywhere catering to a tiny minority of car buyers...not unless you have a big "prestige and exclusive" badge behind you, and sorry, that isn't the blue oval...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 26-05-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 26-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #17
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: Mustang Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Order now, take delivery around August/September next year. Well that's what we're telling people.
Every month you wait to order is possibly another 2 months added onto the wait time too.
Wow, the delay is that big already. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to buy (late 2016-ish) this as decreased.

If we do some very top level sums & very ruff numbers. 2000 orders placed so far & let’s say first delivery on January 1st & these lasts to end of August. So that is 2000/ 8 & therefore sales of around 250 per month. This is either all Ford Australia can get its hand on from global allocations or where Ford Australia thinks the right long term number is each month.

At those sales numbers & with such high demand, can't see big deals being done or it turning into a popular everyday car any time soon.. IMO
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #18
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Whats the reason that people who order now have to wait about 15-16 months to get their car?
Old 26-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #19
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not the blue oval badge they are selling though, note for instance, there is not a Ford oval on it. The Mustang badge is iconic enough (like the Corvette) to be a brand in it's own right.

Ford Australia aren't flooding the dealerships with them like Mondeos/Focus etc neither so I don't think we will see deep discounts, therefore i'd suggest Ford Australia are creating a high profit low volume product that will make dealers happy, much like they did with the FG-X XR8.

If you think about it, coupe sales in Australia have never been big so if my theory is correct, Ford Australia are playing it very smart.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #20
nadojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
It's not the blue oval badge they are selling though, note for instance, there is not a Ford oval on it. The Mustang badge is iconic enough (like the Corvette) to be a brand in it's own right.

Ford Australia aren't flooding the dealerships with them like Mondeos/Focus etc neither so I don't think we will see deep discounts, therefore i'd suggest Ford Australia are creating a high profit low volume product that will make dealers happy, much like they did with the FG-X XR8.

If you think about it, coupe sales in Australia have never been big so if my theory is correct, Ford Australia are playing it very smart.
There is a ford logo in the windscreen now and the centre cap on euro cars is ford
nadojay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #21
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Based on pictures only, I cannot get past how old the interior looks, and the non ergonomics of placement of the info screen- all modern cars that are ergonomic have it placed on/into the top of the console for eye of sight vision.

The mustang has that old retro look - your mileage may vary about whether you like that, but the standard of fitout/materials seems good in photos and better than the FGX XR8 for instance.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #22
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm all for people expressing their opinions, but what makes the interior look awful cheap?

from the pictures I really like how they have just modernised all those old interior features, just like the exterior. and I've read how the fit and finish is really good.
that's my opinion from someone that's never sat in one
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #23
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I'm all for people expressing their opinions, but what makes the interior look awful cheap?

from the pictures I really like how they have just modernised all those old interior features, just like the exterior. and I've read how the fit and finish is really good.
that's my opinion from someone that's never sat in one
I checked one out in the US and the fit looked good, the ergonomics are a matter of taste (I thought the layout was ok) and the plastics and other materials used had a cheap and in some cases a nasty look about them but that’s what you’d expect from a $40k car.

We Aussies are excited to see a new Mustang arrive on our shores but don’t get caught in the trap that the car is anything other than what it is.

A cheap fast massed produced muscle car and it’s true to its heritage, it’s not going to have a Lamborghini finish.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
...aaaaand that will mean it sells just as successfully as the Falcon and disappear as well. Nice.

If that's how they're going to do things it's good to see Ford hasn't learned about this new-fangled "sell profitable volume and it makes a car popular and successful" thingy that other makes do...

Look at Ford dealerships in the USA...the Mustang isn't carefully put aside on a pedestal in the corner (as FPV's often were and are here), tucked away to have selected buyers ushered past it in reverence...they have row upon row of the things in all standards of trim. They're not that special in the USA, and neither should they be here.

But they will. And that will inevitably doom it to low sales and eventually being dropped from the lineup for low sales as management sits puzzled about what went wrong...
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #25
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same cars are positioned and marketed differently in different countries . Mustang will be pretty special in Australia. Hero car for the brand . Even basic F150 is special in Australia as we don't get them here .
I don't think Ford OZ will be chasing volume with Mustang - discounting also pretty unlikely in short term.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #26
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep. Every man and his dog will own one and they will be common as the AE86. But every man and his dog owns a falcon or a commodore or a Camry. Did that stop you from buying one. So I don't see the relevance. These cars aren't anything special. They are mass produced. Modes of transport. Replacements for the falcon which coincidently was also mass produced and will be worth $500 after 500,000 ks and 30 years.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #27
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The trick with the Mustang is that it's a "proper sized car".

We saw them in parking lots of places like Walmart and supermarkets in the USA...mum unloading a bunch of shopping into the boot, two kids seats in the back, we saw them with a whole family on board, or four adults.

The other coupes on the market, such as the excellent 86 and some hot hatches, are let down by a back seat only suitable for someone with no legs and a boot capacity of a couple of tins of baked beans.

The Mustang should be marketed as a viable alternative good sized family car...just one that happens to have two doors.
If it's anything like the Falcon however, they'll totally misread the market and shoot themselves in the foot by failing to promote the Ecoboost model and instead just try and cater to the vanishingly small number of buyers who want a V8 these days.
They should be saying to people "Hey...you can have something that looks like this, but you've got four cylinder rego, running costs and economy! Win/win!".

But they won't.
Old 26-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #28
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

We saw them in parking lots of places like Walmart and supermarkets in the USA...mum unloading a bunch of shopping into the boot, two kids seats in the back, we saw them with a whole family on board, or four adults.

The other coupes on the market, such as the excellent 86 and some hot hatches, are let down by a back seat only suitable for someone with no legs and a boot capacity of a couple of tins of baked beans.

The Mustang should be marketed as a viable alternative good sized family car...just one that happens to have two doors.
If it's anything like the Falcon however, they'll totally misread the market and shoot themselves in the foot by failing to promote the Ecoboost model and instead just try and cater to the vanishingly small number of buyers who want a V8 these days.
They should be saying to people "Hey...you can have something that looks like this, but you've got four cylinder rego, running costs and economy! Win/win!".

But they won't.
Not sure about this. I hire a mustang every trip I make to the states and its always the same problem. With my seat in a comfortable position (I'm 6'2"), there is zero chance of anyone sitting behind me, not even a kid! Unless the 4 adults are under 5'7", I cant see 4 adults ever fitting in this car.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #29
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

But they won't.
What a load of bollocks. "Proper sized car" my ****.

The rear seats are all but useless for anyone but kids or double amputees.

The boot is decent and will easily take a big grocery shop agreed there, but as a family car nope. As a second car with a few compromises there fine.

You can do most things with a Mustang but not with four people on board and definitely not in comfort for those in the rear.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

But they won't.
They have even come out and said they might try to advertise the economy of the Ecoboost and not promote the V8. So you have that incorrect.

But in saying that I think that would be a stupid idea considering they have already stated V8 autos are whats being ordered the most so far. But then again fords sales and marketing have a massive habit of being wrong.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post