Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 22-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #151
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Alleged War Crimes by Australian Soldiers

Will this **** ever end?

Ben Roberts-Smith has asked a court to block a newspaper’s lawyers from accessing his personal medical records as his legal battle over war crimes allegations ramps up.

The highly-decorated ex-soldier is suing The Age and Sydney Morning Herald over a series of reports which aired allegations relating to his deployment in Afghanistan.

The Victoria Cross recipient has denied these and is suing for defamation, claiming they falsely portrayed him as a criminal, but Nine have said they will defend the claim.

In the lead up to a Federal Court trial, lawyers for the newspapers issued subpoenas to two doctors, a GP and a psychiatrist, who treated Mr Roberts-Smith.

They also sought documents from a marriage counsellor who saw Mr Roberts-Smith and his ex-wife Emma Roberts prior to their separation.

Ms Roberts is set to give evidence for the Nine at the trial, which is scheduled to begin in Sydney on June 7.

The court has previously heard that Mr Roberts-Smith threatened to sue his ex-wife if she gave evidence at his trial.

Mr Roberts-Smith’s lawyers on Friday asked Justice Anthony Besanko to set aside the three subpoenas arguing they had no relevance.

Mr Roberts-Smith’s barrister Matthew Richardson said that the subpoenas were “fishing” expeditions and were not seeking any information relevant to the case.

The court heard that Mr Roberts-Smith claims he suffered hurt feelings, depression and anxiety as a result of the publication of the articles.

The newspaper’s lawyers argue the information contained in the documents would therefore be relevant to both Ms Roberts’ believability as a witness and potential damages.

However Mr Richardson said the documents would include information about prescriptions for cold and flu treatment and other information which wasn’t relevant.

“There’s no attempt to direct the subpoena to an issue of credit,” Mr Richardson said.

“For instance, if the preoccupation is the fact my client was prescribed beta blockers, which is something his ex-wife refers to in her affidavit for anxiety and so on, then you would expect the subpoena would be directed to that issue.

“But it’s not, it’s just the file. In my submission that’s obviously fishing.”

But barrister Alexander Edwards, acting for Nine, dismissed the suggestion that Dr Parbodh Gogna was an ordinary GP and the documents sought from him would contain information about everyday health matters.

He pointed out that Dr Gogna was the chief medical officer and surgeon general of the Department of Home Affairs and Australian Border Force.

“There’s no evidence that Dr Gogna is any way capable of being characterised as a family GP,” Mr Edwards said.

He added that Nine were seeking to establish whether Mr Roberts-Smith suffered anxiety prior to the articles being published, which would go to damages suffered.

Justice Besanko reserved his decision.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #152
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Will this **** ever end?

Ben Roberts-Smith has asked a court to block a newspaper’s lawyers from accessing his personal medical records as his legal battle over war crimes allegations ramps up.

The highly-decorated ex-soldier is suing The Age and Sydney Morning Herald over a series of reports which aired allegations relating to his deployment in Afghanistan.

The Victoria Cross recipient has denied these and is suing for defamation, claiming they falsely portrayed him as a criminal, but Nine have said they will defend the claim.

In the lead up to a Federal Court trial, lawyers for the newspapers issued subpoenas to two doctors, a GP and a psychiatrist, who treated Mr Roberts-Smith.

They also sought documents from a marriage counsellor who saw Mr Roberts-Smith and his ex-wife Emma Roberts prior to their separation.

Ms Roberts is set to give evidence for the Nine at the trial, which is scheduled to begin in Sydney on June 7.

The court has previously heard that Mr Roberts-Smith threatened to sue his ex-wife if she gave evidence at his trial.

Mr Roberts-Smith’s lawyers on Friday asked Justice Anthony Besanko to set aside the three subpoenas arguing they had no relevance.

Mr Roberts-Smith’s barrister Matthew Richardson said that the subpoenas were “fishing” expeditions and were not seeking any information relevant to the case.

The court heard that Mr Roberts-Smith claims he suffered hurt feelings, depression and anxiety as a result of the publication of the articles.

The newspaper’s lawyers argue the information contained in the documents would therefore be relevant to both Ms Roberts’ believability as a witness and potential damages.

However Mr Richardson said the documents would include information about prescriptions for cold and flu treatment and other information which wasn’t relevant.

“There’s no attempt to direct the subpoena to an issue of credit,” Mr Richardson said.

“For instance, if the preoccupation is the fact my client was prescribed beta blockers, which is something his ex-wife refers to in her affidavit for anxiety and so on, then you would expect the subpoena would be directed to that issue.

“But it’s not, it’s just the file. In my submission that’s obviously fishing.”

But barrister Alexander Edwards, acting for Nine, dismissed the suggestion that Dr Parbodh Gogna was an ordinary GP and the documents sought from him would contain information about everyday health matters.

He pointed out that Dr Gogna was the chief medical officer and surgeon general of the Department of Home Affairs and Australian Border Force.

“There’s no evidence that Dr Gogna is any way capable of being characterised as a family GP,” Mr Edwards said.

He added that Nine were seeking to establish whether Mr Roberts-Smith suffered anxiety prior to the articles being published, which would go to damages suffered.

Justice Besanko reserved his decision.
Always gets ugly in the courts in which Ben Roberts-Smith would have known this before he started his defamation case, hopefully the truth will come out whichever way the decision goes.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #153
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

10 more weeks of this court case.

I’m in the “Ben Roberts” side on this case, until it’s proven otherwise.
5 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 04:09 AM   #154
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had rats in our ceiling. I put bait, they died horrible deaths, and now they are stinking up the place.
If we've learnt anything, it's that war isn't pretty, it isn't civilised. There's not much that's more barbaric than butchering a fellow human being, at the direction of your political masters.
As kids we used to tell a joke:
"Join the Army, Travel the World, Meet lots of interesting people, and then kill them." But it's not funny.
The Taliban is the enemy, and by all accounts they are filth. We can't expect that our soldiers are going to play nicely with them.

And if the internet has taught us anything, it's that people love to make **** up. Because they're bored, ****ed off, vindictive, want attention, who the **** knows.
Some of the allegations counted as credible, are simply nonsensical.
Prisoners being "executed," but in full view of Western Civilian Witnesses??
"Crimes," which conceivably might have happened at the scene of actual battles, but apparently being perpetrated back in camps and towns for the convenience of witnesses???
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 07:56 AM   #155
slowsnake
Banned

I asked my Dad about why he never went to any memorial days from his WW2 service in the British merchant navy, he used to say " what for son " he started as a galley boy aged 13 years, in 1936, he was with his Uncle Arthur, he was a ships cook on the Great Ocean Liners of the day.

As you probably know all the ocean going liners were procured by the British Government for use as troopships!
He was torpedoed and sunk in 1939 in the North Atlantic at 2am, pitch black and freezing cold, the survivors were picked up by a convoy destroyer, he was 16 years old.

At the end of hostilities he was aged 22 years, but he stayed on until 1949 before he demobbed.

He never spoke about his war service, I tried to get him drunk a few times, but he knew what I was doing and stopped after a few DA long necks.
But I got a little bit here and there.

There was no glory in war for him, when it was over that was it i suppose, of course then the Korean War kicked in in 1953 I think!
But I know it was a terrible experience for a 16 yr old kid on an Ocean Liner turned troopship, I got a little info from my Grandmother about Dad, not a lot, when it ended, the war, it ended in his head too, his business, he lived it not me or you, he was a very private man.

Same with Ben Roberts Smith, his war ended too, it ended when he left Afghanistan after doing his duty to Queen and country.
They didn't chase my father down and hound him with bull**** that never happened " that way" he was left alone, and Ben Roberts Smith deserves the same courtesy, as do all Commonwealth Troops who fought for Queen and Country, just let em be, let them breathe, let them live and leave them alone!
Their job is done, let them live and breathe ,oh, and forget!

Cheers Billy.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #156
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I asked my Dad about why he never went to any memorial days from his WW2 service in the British merchant navy, he used to say " what for son " he started as a galley boy aged 13 years, in 1936, he was with his Uncle Arthur, he was a ships cook on the Great Ocean Liners of the day.

As you probably know all the ocean going liners were procured by the British Government for use as troopships!
He was torpedoed and sunk in 1939 in the North Atlantic at 2am, pitch black and freezing cold, the survivors were picked up by a convoy destroyer, he was 16 years old.

At the end of hostilities he was aged 22 years, but he stayed on until 1949 before he demobbed.

He never spoke about his war service, I tried to get him drunk a few times, but he knew what I was doing and stopped after a few DA long necks.
But I got a little bit here and there.

There was no glory in war for him, when it was over that was it i suppose, of course then the Korean War kicked in in 1953 I think!
But I know it was a terrible experience for a 16 yr old kid on an Ocean Liner turned troopship, I got a little info from my Grandmother about Dad, not a lot, when it ended, the war, it ended in his head too, his business, he lived it not me or you, he was a very private man.

Same with Ben Roberts Smith, his war ended too, it ended when he left Afghanistan after doing his duty to Queen and country.
They didn't chase my father down and hound him with bull**** that never happened " that way" he was left alone, and Ben Roberts Smith deserves the same courtesy, as do all Commonwealth Troops who fought for Queen and Country, just let em be, let them breathe, let them live and leave them alone!
Their job is done, let them live and breathe ,oh, and forget!

Cheers Billy.

My father served in WW2 and never spoke about it with me. As a kid I asked what the medals stashed away in his wardrobe were for and the answer was always duck hunting. It was only in much later life that he started going to the Anzac day marches. He did the Middle East, New Guinea and Darwin.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #157
leesa

Quote:
And before I go, can you offer an opinion on this scenario.

There you are in a field with your mates, all bombed up with the latest weaponry and gear, probably about 40kgs worth, it is extremely hot, you have been patrolling relentlessly, you are tired and worn out physically and mentally while surviving on 6 hours sleep a night. You have not slept in a bed for three weeks now, no hot meals or showers for another week.

An old farmer walks past. He is an unarmed civilian.

Minutes later incoming mortar rounds start crashing down on top of you and ya mates. One is killed and two are seriously wounded.

Casualties are choppered out, and what is left of the patrol continues on their mission.

Two days later you see the same farmer walking past again.

Now for the ethical and moral dilemma.

If one of your mates shoots him, would you dob him in as a war criminal?

After all, in your words, such an act is morally evil.
I'm not sure if this is the thread to be posting this in but you said something that I wanted to comment on.
What you describe above is comradery between mates, a bond built up over shared experiences... and then sometimes used to cover up horrible acts.

That kind of mateship or 'the bro code' covers up and permits a lot of atrocious acts to continue. Not just alleged war crimes but it's also taken advantage of by rapists, domestic violence abusers and a whole bunch of others because they know and expect their mates won't rat them out.

It's (in my personal opinion) important for people to speak up if they see or hear one of their mates doing or saying things that are not okay, even if you've had shared experiences.
It's becoming more common for people to call each other out when they see this sort of stuff and for that I am thankful.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...emselves-55861
https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...ual-harassment

Edited to add: I'm glad his peers spoke up about him, he needs to be held to account for his actions. If he's let off then so be it but going through the experience of the courts will hopefully still curb his behaviour.

Old 14-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #158
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
I'm not sure if this is the thread to be posting this in but you said something that I wanted to comment on.
What you describe above is comradery between mates, a bond built up over shared experiences... and then sometimes used to cover up horrible acts.

That kind of mateship or 'the bro code' covers up and permits a lot of atrocious acts to continue. Not just alleged war crimes but it's also taken advantage of by rapists, domestic violence abusers and a whole bunch of others because they know and expect their mates won't rat them out.

It's (in my personal opinion) important for people to speak up if they see or hear one of their mates doing or saying things that are not okay, even if you've had shared experiences.
It's becoming more common for people to call each other out when they see this sort of stuff and for that I am thankful.

Edited to add: I'm glad his peers spoke up about him, he needs to be held to account for his actions. If he's let off then so be it but going through the experience of the courts will hopefully still curb his behaviour.
Good to see that you've already made up your mind that he's guilty on all charges
Old 14-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #159
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Good to see that you've already made up your mind that he's guilty on all charges
Well no, the courts will decide but he wouldn't be there if there wasn't some suspicion about what he's done. That aside, do you think an honest good man participates in drinking out of a prosthetic of a dead man?

That was a pretty snide remark by the way. Why take a shot? Why not just reply with what you take issue with and why?

Old 14-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #160
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Seriously Lessa?…. Now, I’ve no idea if you’ve been a victim of domestic violence, or been screwed over by some no-named male in the your past? (And sympathies, if that’s the case)
But to even compare your never ending “Germaine Greer” crap to men literally giving their ALL, their lives even, on the other side of the world… Against an enemy with absolutely zero morals or ethics… That enemy willing to strap bombs on their own kids for their Allah cause?
Please… Never, NEVER compare the 2 issues!… It’s an bloody insult to those that are, not just protecting our country, but allowing you the freedom to actually post the utter tripe that you seem to fervently enjoy!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
6 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #161
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
But to even compare your never ending “Germaine Greer” crap to men literally giving their ALL, their lives even, on the other side of the world… Against an enemy with absolutely zero morals or ethics… That enemy willing to strap bombs on their own kids for their Allah cause?
Please… Never, NEVER compare the 2 issues!… It’s an bloody insult to those that are, not just protecting our country, but allowing you the freedom to actually post the utter tripe that you seem to fervently enjoy!
Yep, and his integrity is lost if he's committed war crimes. If he's done what his own people have claimed he's done, why do you still want to hold him up on a pedestal like that? Are there no others that you can appreciate and value? People who have put their life on the line for our country and also not killed unarmed people? He's the minority, isn't he?

My point was in Cav suggesting you cover for your mate who's killed an innocent, that's not okay. Even the reasoning is not okay and thankfully society is starting to support the idea that it's not okay and needs to be called out.

Old 14-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #162
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well no, the courts will decide but he wouldn't be there if there wasn't some suspicion about what he's done. That aside, do you think an honest good man participates in drinking out of a prosthetic of a dead man?

That was a pretty snide remark by the way. Why take a shot? Why not just reply with what you take issue with and why?
If you believe the drinking from the leg story I've got a really nice bridge you can have ...cheap.
Old 14-06-2021, 11:29 AM   #163
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
If you believe the drinking from the leg story I've got a really nice bridge you can have ...cheap.
Let's come back and re-assess after it's all done and dusted. If I was wrong about him, I'll apologise. If not, you can apologise. ;)

There's always anger about how it's only the minority who are bad actors but then when the spotlight is put on that minority, there's even more anger. I think some are just angry that the spotlight is being used at all. It'd be nice if bad people could get away with their bad deeds without obstacles, wouldn't it? Society is clearly moving towards a new equilibrium, one less tolerant of covering up for that minority and exposing it for what it is.

Yes I realise what I have to say is often not taken well and people can get angry all they like but putting it out there is the only way for it to become a normalised part of society and the topic received with less hostility.
If anyone disagrees with what I have to say, feel free to let me know and why. But with words that engage discussion about it, not potshots please.

Old 14-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #164
slowsnake
Banned

Getting a bit too prickly for me!
Never been involved in a war or conflict like Afghanistan, and I'm glad about that!
But those who are/have been it must me traumatising at the least, must be very hard to think, or feel when you are being shot at and bombed, and I think there must be a lot of regrettable things said and done in the heat of the moment!

Maybe, just maybe we have no right to discuss this stuff at all.
We weren't there!!

Cheers King Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #165
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Leesa…. Fortunately, I’ve been blessed to not have been in the theatre of war….
A few here ARE Vets though.
End of the day…. You have NO right to judge!
Simply because you weren’t, nor will ever be in the horrific situations that these Australians were in!
I’m SO feckin over avocado eating do-gooders (oh the world’s beautiful!) that have NEVER had to lift a finger to defend Australia!
No more from me… And I suggest you deal with your obvious man-hating issues, and have a little respect for those actually putting their lives on the line!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 14-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #166
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My father was a WW2 vet, served at Tobruk and in New Guinea. He had respect for the Germans, but none for the Japanese, and never let me ignore / forget his experiences.

For a long while, after I joined the RAAF, I put up with his ‘anti-Australian involvement in Vietnam’ rants, not a real war, shooting civilians, etc.
One day I asked him if he saw any Japanese …………
‘yeah, saw plenty of dead ones’
“what about POWs or wounded ?”
‘never saw any’
“so what happened to them ?”
No answer. I took that as an indication that POWs and wounded were somehow disposed of.
That subject never came up again.

As to the current witch-hunt, I really, really hope that BRS is exonerated, and the points scoring sought by do-gooders and disgruntled jealous superior officers falls far short of their expectations.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 12:18 PM   #167
leesa

Quote:
End of the day…. You have NO right to judge!
Simply because you weren’t, nor will ever be in the horrific situations that these Australians were in!
I’m SO feckin over avocado eating do-gooders (oh the world’s beautiful!) that have NEVER had to lift a finger to defend Australia!
No more from me… And I suggest you deal with your obvious man-hating issues, and have a little respect for those actually putting their lives on the line!

Are you saying that you think him defending australia means he shouldn't be investigated at all? He's allowed to do whatever he wants without consequence?

Old 14-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #168
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
My father was a WW2 vet, served at Tobruk and in New Guinea. He had respect for the Germans, but none for the Japanese, and never let me ignore / forget his experiences.

For a long while, after I joined the RAAF, I put up with his ‘anti-Australian involvement in Vietnam’ rants, not a real war, shooting civilians, etc.
One day I asked him if he saw any Japanese …………
‘yeah, saw plenty of dead ones’
“what about POWs or wounded ?”
‘never saw any’
“so what happened to them ?”
No answer. I took that as an indication that POWs and wounded were somehow disposed of.
That subject never came up again.

As to the current witch-hunt, I really, really hope that BRS is exonerated, and the points scoring sought by do-gooders and disgruntled jealous superior officers falls far short of their expectations.
My dad served in both campaigns as your dad and his experiences and accounts was certainly different to your fathers view but funny how people can see things differently, my dad did open up to me later in life of his experiences in WW2 when asked.

One thing I will say to all in this forum; WW2 ruined my father's life which ended my parents marriage in later years and he was never the same, I suppose this can be said for most vets who have ever served in any conflict.
The only grateful thing I can say is that I'm glad I never experienced the horrors of wars as to what our vets have done throughout all our conflicts.
7 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #169
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:

The incident you are referring to is a photograph of diggers drinking from the prosthetic leg.

The enemy hid stuff in their legs, that's why they are removed.

I have not seen any photos that show BRS drinking from the leg.

And even if he had, so what?
Old 14-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #170
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:

You failed to answer my question.

What would you do?
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #171
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people seem to have litle idea of the investigations, the i dotting and t crossing that goes on for a VC to be awarded.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #172
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Are you saying that you think him defending australia means he shouldn't be investigated at all? He's allowed to do whatever he wants without consequence?
I take offence to individuals judging the actions of special forces soldiers from the comfort of a lounge chair. Go and spend 10 mins in their shoes and then come back home and judge them. To judge their actions in war against peacetime laws needs to be done with caution. War is hell, Afghanistan was and is hell for our servicemen.
Drinking from the prosthetic leg? Who cares really.
If genuine unjustified murder was committed over there then maybe let’s judge that.

I really hope that on the completion of this **** show that channel 9 are left looking pretty damn poorly. I really hope it hurts them when the sponsors and public dump them in retaliation.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan

Last edited by Cashie; 14-06-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 14-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #173
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guys,
This is a very difficult post to comment on unless of course you were there fighting the war?
When i was a young boy my uncle was in New Guinea fighting the Japanese and when he returned home he never talked about what happened over there.

The only person that he talked to be side's his wife was my mum and she never told us what he said.

What these men go thru in war must be Hell for them. Why do i have the write to say " they should do this or that" when i haven't been i there shoes.
When i was a Hire car driver in the 90s i used to pick up War Veterans and take them to Concord Hospital for treatment then return them home.

We would always have a chat, and some of the story's these guys told me of what happened to them and there mates would turn your stomach.

Just remember the Enemy didn't play nice at times also.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #174
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi Guys,
Just remember the Enemy didn't play nice at times also.
I will be interested as to when the ABC, Ch9, and newspapers start reporting when ISIS, Taliban, DAESH (or whoever) commence war crimes trials against their own members who beheaded civilians, detonated car bombs in market places, raped female prisoners, sent kids on suicide missions, and other Geneva convention approved activities.
Old 14-06-2021, 07:10 PM   #175
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I will be interested as to when the ABC, Ch9, and newspapers start reporting when ISIS, Taliban, DAESH (or whoever) commence war crimes trials against their own members who beheaded civilians, detonated car bombs in market places, raped female prisoners, sent kids on suicide missions, and other Geneva convention approved activities.

Ira makes joke.
Old 14-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #176
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yep, and his integrity is lost if he's committed war crimes. If he's done what his own people have claimed he's done, why do you still want to hold him up on a pedestal like that? Are there no others that you can appreciate and value? People who have put their life on the line for our country and also not killed unarmed people? He's the minority, isn't he?

My point was in Cav suggesting you cover for your mate who's killed an innocent, that's not okay. Even the reasoning is not okay and thankfully society is starting to support the idea that it's not okay and needs to be called out.
The point of the story is that he is the enemy and he is responsible for the death of mates.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #177
slowsnake
Banned

I wasn't going to comment in this thread, i said its getting too "prickly" and somewhere on this thread, I think it was this one, I mentioned my father was a troopship cook during WW2.
I also remember him telling me he continued until 1949, I had asked him why he didn't demob at the end of hostilities, he said because he wouldn't stop because men had to be brought home to their families, he added that he wanted to cook meals for the POW's to show them some kindness, watch them enjoy a good meal, watch them smile again.

From galley boy in 1933 aged 13yrs, to 1st Assitant Cook in 1949, after he died from a nasty bone marrow cancer in 1986, my mother pursued the British Government for her war widow's pension, my dad got a "burnout pension" aged 62 yrs, we knew nothing of his war service until he applied for his pension, it was extensive, and after he died my mother decided to get all his war medals, he never applied, no interest for him.

I told her to leave em, but she insisted, I said Dad never got his medals for a reason, she said I was his wife and it keeps his memory alive?
Anyway she got em, there were more than I imagined, 2 of them he was mentioned in dispatches!
He had 6 campaign medals?..one had a bar for service in the Pacific region which designated a 7th campaign medal, he was also awarded the usual War medals etc...and I never saw them, I asked him if he ever fired a gun?.. he said only one time son, I said where, the evacuation of Crete son, and what type of gun dad, a Lewis gun son, what were you shooting at dad, Stuka dive bombers son, I said what ship were you on, the Costa Rica son, and what happened dad!..we were sunk son!

Pretty private stuff, but his private stuff, his life and war service, all hidden in his head, where he chose to keep it, and I can't imagine him being dragged through a public court hearing based on hearsay, it would of destroyed him as a man, that **** is so very very private.

They have to leave Ben Roberts-Smith in peace, it will destroy his head guilty or not guilty, the newspapers and TV channels have a lot to answer for, this man is a civilian, yet he is not being treated in a civil manner!
No amount of money will repair the damage already done...

Cheers King Billy
Old 14-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #178
Itsme
Experienced Member

Deleted: said enough on this topic.

Last edited by Itsme; 14-06-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 14-06-2021, 09:06 PM   #179
leesa

Quote:
The incident you are referring to is a photograph of diggers drinking from the prosthetic leg.

The enemy hid stuff in their legs, that's why they are removed.

I have not seen any photos that show BRS drinking from the leg.

And even if he had, so what?
Presuming the stories are true for a second... he killed an unarmed guy.. took his leg and then paraded it around as some sort of trophy. What kind of animal does that? It makes statements about his character and shows he has no moral compass. I gather you think it's okay?

Quote:
You failed to answer my question.

What would you do?
I would report him and let the military justice system handle it.

Quote:
The point of the story is that he is the enemy and he is responsible for the death of mates.
Is he though? In your story he was an unarmed civilian, an old farmer. I could definitely be wrong but isn't this all covered by the geneva conventions? Why has an old unarmed farmer now become the enemy?

BRS's alleged bad deeds aren't forgotten because of his good deeds, noone is above accountability. If it's all a big mistake and all the people testifying against him turn out to be discredited or disgruntled due to jealosy... then it'll all come out in the wash and his reputation will be restored. Until then, where there's smoke there's fire, or some such.

Old 14-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #180
leesa

Quote:
I have plenty of respect for the men and women that serve our country but what you're asking for isn't respect, it's blind subservience.
BRS wouldn't be where he is without some kind of evidence and there are plenty of people about to testify against him.

Closed Thread