Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fuel consumption con.

The cruze is rated 5.6L - 6.7L /100km fuel consumption, but as per the write up for the hatch

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...e_hatch_review

Tha author ends it with -

Quote:
As I park the car with 769km on the trip meter and just on nine litres/100km showing on the fuel usage
Now if fuel consumption is more than 30% than the rated rated figure (on a trip that is 90% highway), its a wonder anyone even thinks the quoted fuel consumption figures are relevant.

Either the cruze has a thirst of around 13l/100km on the city cycle or its lawn mower inspired engine chews up the fuel trying to maintain 100 kmh on the highway.

bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Fuel consumption con.

or the trip computer isn't accurate!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
or the trip computer isn't accurate!
Yep, most likely situation.

I used to try and manipulate the DTE and l/100 readings on my AU and BA when I was bored driving long distances.

I got the AU up to 999 (it would do 600 on a good day down hill with everyone leaning forward) and got my GT-P as low as 4l/100km and as high as 70 something l/100km.

Fill the car, read the odo, drive, fill the car and read the odo.

l/100km = fuel of second fill / (odo[2] - odo[1]) * 100, everything else is just a guestimate.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I got 6l per 100 with ULP and 6.6 per 100 with e10 when I hired a petrol auto Cruze for a week of 80% freeway driving. I used 3 tanks and the trip comp was very accurate if not spot on the real consumption.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
hiper
[HIPER-8]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Either the cruze has a thirst of around 13l/100km on the city cycle or its lawn mower inspired engine chews up the fuel trying to maintain 100 kmh on the highway.
redbook says the cruze has an urban l/100 of between 9 and 10.5
the turbos (petrol and diesel) getting the lower consumption and non-turbo petrol getting the higher

i wouldnt be surprised if its a littler higher than redbook if youve got a heavy right shoe
1994 EF Fairmont Cardinal Red
hiper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The journalists thrash the living daylights out of test cars hence the high consumption.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
The journalists thrash the living daylights out of test cars hence the high consumption.
Also known as driving it the way you would a Falcon or a Commodore,
by that I mean accelerating in a similar manner as the two big cars....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fuel consumption figures on cars arent real world figures
There done in controlled conditions
Everyone has different driving styles,youd be lucky to find 3 brand new cars with 3 different drivers that the fuel consumption would be the same
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
I understand they are only of benefit for comparative figures (ie it doesnt matter if all figures are 30% below, as long as they are all done the same way), but there needs to be some "real world" criteria built into them. Its like buying a $100 ticket for a flight, and then getting charged another $50 to get off it at the end. No one takes a car for a 600 kilometre test drive to check this, they are fully reliant on the figures supplied to them.

if your buying a car to do 20,000 k's a year, and you buy it on the basis that you will get 7l per 100k, and you get 10l per 100 k, you are going to be wondering where the extra $900 a year is going.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Everyone has different driving styles,youd be lucky to find 3 brand new cars with 3 different drivers that the fuel consumption would be the same
While you may think that, the tests do reflect real world scenarios:
Quote:
In the European Union, passenger vehicles are commonly tested using two drive cycles, and corresponding fuel economies are reported as 'urban' and 'extra-urban', in liters per 100 km and (in the UK) in miles per imperial gallon.

The urban economy is measured using the test cycle known as ECE-15, introduced by the EEC Directive 90/C81/01 in 1999. It simulates a 4,052 m (2.518 mile) urban trip at an average speed of 18.7 km/h (11.6 mph) and at a maximum speed of 50 km/h (31 mph).

The extra-urban cycle or EUDC lasts 400 seconds (6 minutes 40 seconds) at an average speed 62.6 km/h (39 mph) and a top speed of 120 km/h (74.6 mph).[24] EU fuel consumption numbers tend to be considerably lower than corresponding US EPA test results for the same vehicle. For example, the 2011 Honda CR-Z with a six-speed manual transmission is rated 6.1/4.4 l/100 km in Europe and 7.6/6.4 l/100 km in the United States
Old 12-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I easily match or beat the consumption rating on all cars I've owned and some I have often borrowed.. Not easy, but not impossible either. All depends on how well you read the road ahead and how much of a rush you are in to get to your destination.

I think there is a retired Aussie couple who have set dozens of economy records with consumption figures 20-40% below factory ratings.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't try to beat consumption ratings,i try to double or tripple them :-0

Had a Hyundai Accent where I would regularly get around 14 litres per hundred!

Hire cars seem to do well over 20 litres per hundred, no matter if they are a camry, commodore, audi etc! Not that great when I fill up and it costs me around $35 per hundred km! (lucky work pays!)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I easily match or beat the consumption rating on all cars I've owned and some I have often borrowed.. Not easy, but not impossible either. All depends on how well you read the road ahead and how much of a rush you are in to get to your destination.

I think there is a retired Aussie couple who have set dozens of economy records with consumption figures 20-40% below factory ratings.
IF you drive conservatively, sure anything is possible
An ol fella i know had an ol holden that got mid to high 30 Miles to the gallon
Which was unheard of, he didnt have much choice had limited funds and was touring the country
Used to coast alot,no extra weight,luggage he didnt need
Last new car i bought i couldnt get anywhere near the economy they said it should get
Driving up ranges, about 4 or 5 near everyday will do that
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without hypermiling, driving down the highway with a light pedal in mixed traffic you should get near the extra urban figure,
similarly if you drive in the peak hour crawl with a mix of 60 kph and lots of stop gos the urban figure should be close.

If you like to jack rabbit start and beat everyone off the lights, downshifting and saw through traffic
then you will pay the price at the fuel pump.
Old 13-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Without hypermiling, driving down the highway with a light pedal in mixed traffic you should get near the extra urban figure,
similarly if you drive in the peak hour crawl with a mix of 60 kph and lots of stop gos the urban figure should be close.
exactly. some people like to think the sticker on the windscreen means thats how the car will drink regardless of conditions and style.

i've achieved ave 7.9l/100km in my fg over a 4500km journey (adel - bris - adel) with 4 people and max luggage. if i was 1up with no luggage, i reckon i would easily achieve the manufacturer figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Fill the car, read the odo, drive, fill the car and read the odo.

l/100km = fuel of second fill / (odo[2] - odo[1]) * 100, everything else is just a guestimate.
whilst that may be the most accurate, it is also next to impossible to put the same amount of fuel in every time, so there is still an element of error. it is also possible to notice a trend over a period of time when compared to the car's computer readout. some cars are pretty accurate. my fg is always within .5l/100km of the figure i get manually. given that the amount of fuel i put in could vary, i think my fg is accurate enough. i'm not speaking for all cars or even all fg's though. every car will be different.
Old 14-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you actually read the article carefully. He says that fuel use climbed into the 9's whilst he was having an "entertaining" drive. Reading between the lines, that means he was giving it a bit of stick.....
Earlier in the article he mentions fuel usage in the 6's whilst pottering along the freeway.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #17
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
As I park the car with 769km on the trip meter and just on nine litres/100km showing on the fuel usage
60l / 769k = 7.8/100
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I don't try to beat consumption ratings,i try to double or tripple them :-0
Same.
In the work car I managed to get 99.9L/100kms on the instant consumption.
Took a few attempts, I just had to wait for the perfect conditions.

4cylinder Diesel Prado.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #19
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all depends on your driving style and how you manipulate the gears. Puttering around I can easily beat the rated fuel economy for my car by a litre or two.
Old 14-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
It all depends on your driving style and how you manipulate the gears. Puttering around I can easily beat the rated fuel economy for my car by a litre or two.
Which one?
Most manufacturers promote the combined figure which confuses people who think that's the best the car can get...
There's actually three figures for late model cars, Urban, Extra Urban and Combined.
Urban = typical city traffic driving
Extra Urban = typical highway economy
Combined = a mixture of the above...

Honestly, when comparing Falcon/Territory to other vehicles Urban and Extra urban is of far more value,
on the highway, the two Fords are very good on fuel for their size and around town they can
usually go close to what most Mid-sized four cylinder petrol vehicles achieve...

Camry 2.4 auto:
Urban 12.4
Extra urban 6.7

Falcon XT Auto:
Urban 14.6 (an extra 2 litres/100km which adds up to about 5-10 litres more a week)
Extra Urban 7.2 (I doubt most people would notice the difference in fuel economy)
Old 14-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm averaging about 950km to a tank in my TDCI Focus, but Dad seems to be able to get it to about 1100km when he drives it. I don't thrash it but I think its because he reads traffic a lot better than me.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I'm averaging about 950km to a tank in my TDCI Focus, but Dad seems to be able to get it to about 1100km when he drives it. I don't thrash it but I think its because he reads traffic a lot better than me.
This.
A lot of driving is about understanding what's going on around you and how to position your car.
It's funny but it's not always about driving like grandpa, it's about just keeping your average
speed up by moving the throttle as little as possible. Drive it like a momentum car, not a HP car.
Old 14-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #23
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I average about 13.5L/100km on my FG while its rated at 10L/100km ...

I used to average 14.5L/100km on my BF2 while it was rated about 11L/100km ...

Inner city driving.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
I average about 13.5L/100km on my FG while its rated at 10L/100km ...

I used to average 14.5L/100km on my BF2 while it was rated about 11L/100km ...

Inner city driving.
did you read post #20? the 10L/100km rating for FG is the combined figure. manufacturers urban figure is around 14! same with your BF2.