Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Default Google Chrome Operating System Announced

Google made a new operating system called Google Chrome OS. Looks good. It is different than the other operating systems. Web browser is actually your operating system. It loads up pretty quick (7 seconds). Here is the videos and description.

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRO3gKj3qw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMrzw7JFzA

Description:
It's been an exciting nine months since we launched the Google Chrome browser. Already, over 30 million people use it regularly. We designed Google Chrome for people who live on the web — searching for information, checking email, catching up on the news, shopping or just staying in touch with friends. However, the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web. So today, we're announcing a new project that's a natural extension of Google Chrome — the Google Chrome Operating System. It's our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be.

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010. Because we're already talking to partners about the project, and we'll soon be working with the open source community, we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.

Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work.

Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips and we are working with multiple OEMs to bring a number of netbooks to market next year. The software architecture is simple — Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel. For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies. And of course, these apps will run not only on Google Chrome OS, but on any standards-based browser on Windows, Mac and Linux thereby giving developers the largest user base of any platform.

Google Chrome OS is a new project, separate from Android. Android was designed from the beginning to work across a variety of devices from phones to set-top boxes to netbooks. Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web, and is being designed to power computers ranging from small netbooks to full-size desktop systems. While there are areas where Google Chrome OS and Android overlap, we believe choice will drive innovation for the benefit of everyone, including Google.

We hear a lot from our users and their message is clear — computers need to get better. People want to get to their email instantly, without wasting time waiting for their computers to boot and browsers to start up. They want their computers to always run as fast as when they first bought them. They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates. And any time our users have a better computing experience, Google benefits as well by having happier users who are more likely to spend time on the Internet.

We have a lot of work to do, and we're definitely going to need a lot of help from the open source community to accomplish this vision. We're excited for what's to come and we hope you are too. Stay tuned for more updates in the fall and have a great summer.

Quoted from:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html

Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
Cam
Stroking it...

Heard this a while ago now..

Although anyone who knows of this and has used google apps, knows that google WILL take over the entire world of computing in the not too distant future...
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Heard this a while ago now..

Although anyone who knows of this and has used google apps, knows that google WILL take over the entire world of computing in the not too distant future...
Yes, I agree with you. Microsoft will be beaten by Google. For me Google already won the battle.
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The Alpha is actually downloadable as a virtual image. Tried it yesterday. If that's all it is I really don't see a need to use it. As suggested, it's an operating system that's basically a browser. They need to expand their HTML apps significantly if it's going to be actually useable as a primary OS.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Lane351

Still a long way to be ahead of MS ,google taking over the entire computing dont see it happening
Lane351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Hey, listen, I have a great company where I make money from other companies that pay me to put advertisements of their company or product on pages that people are looking at online. If they do a search at my website I put the companies that have paid me to list them at the FRONT of the results, and those companies pay me more money.

I needed to be able to find out who is looking for what, and what the people's browsing habits are so I created a real handy "Toolbar" for them so that they can find and also navigate to things on the internet easier, all the while their computer sends to me information on where they are going, what they are looking for, and what they are doing online. This helps me to better target my client's advertisements and links to those that use my website....which makes me more money.

Here's my latest idea!! A web browser that IS an operating system. This will not only let me know where these people are going on the net, and what they are looking for, but now they will store their stuff on MY servers. Yeah! It will all be mine. On top of that, now I can get an even better profile of each person that uses my operating system for better targeting. I will know exactly which musical artists they prefer, what kinds of hobbies they are into, how deep they are into those hobbies, what concerns them, what medical information they look for so I know what medical problems they may have, and I can give these people search results of my client's who's businesses most suit their INDIVIDUAL needs!! Do you know how much more money I will get from my clients from the increase in clicks??? I am thinking of calling the browser "Big Brother", but you know.....though it fits perfectly people have a negative connotation of that.

This is what I think of Chrome OS....

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

ohh..."Ohio xb" .....you cinical man , lol
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 04:38 AM   #8
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Hey, I am just trying to protect my computer, so, long ago I learned just what the Google Toolbar really does (Yahoo Toolbar too)......and now Google wants to give you THEIR operating system to use????? Online?

No good can come of this.

When someone that makes money by you using their product for free, and then they want to "make your life even easier" by INSTALLING something on your computer.........no way. You better run.

Oh, that reminds me.....I've got a REAL handy program for you to make purchases online. Instead of having to enter all your address, email address, credit card info, and all that stuff when you make online purchases, wouldn't it be great if you could just click on an icon that is in the Toolbar of your browser and ALL that info is INSTANTLY entered into the order form? Yeah, no more typing, typing, typing, typing all your info into those forms. Now you will only have to click once on an icon! Here, just download and install this program of mine........

http: //www .gotyall.com/downloads/helpfulapps/purchaseassistant.exe

See? It even has a warm and fuzzy name.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!

Last edited by Ohio XB; 23-11-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so if everything is stateless how secure is it???

Anyone can hack and acsess info when ur asleep and ur pc if off as the info is stored online, dosent sound great from a security point of view.
Old 23-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy

Anyone can hack and acsess info when ur asleep and ur pc if off as the info is stored online, dosent sound great from a security point of view.
Problem is that its WAY easier said than done. Not just "anyone" can do it, you need the brains first.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 1945 many people who lived to the east of Germany were very happy that they were finally saved from the evil empire that had dominated them for so long by the nice warm and fuzzy Soviet Union.

Free at last......free at last....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:

From a home users point of view though, having experts look after the security and backup of your data sounds alot better then having a crack at it yourself up againist some people who have been in the business of "bypassing" security for close to etenity and some are even the ones who have designed some of these security protocols etc.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan
Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010.

I note that they plan to open source it. Might be a good thing, I don't see any down side to having another choice.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #14
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, if your internet connection is unstable or drops out, then the computer will no booty at all? Or the source is hacked?
Online OS failure = no offline usage as well?
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
So, if your internet connection is unstable or drops out, then the computer will no booty at all? Or the source is hacked?
Online OS failure = no offline usage as well?
No the computer will boot fine. It is a lightweight OS designed for low power devices. It will run without an internet connection. There is talk of it being merged with Android too.

Open source software is used in every *nix operating system on the planet.
Old 24-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
No the computer will boot fine. It is a lightweight OS designed for low power devices. It will run without an internet connection. There is talk of it being merged with Android too.
What exactly will it run, since the OS appears to be a browser?
Old 24-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Sign in.

First screen after I login.

Old 24-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #18
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont like it much but at least its going to make microsoft lift there socks up and bring som something really good.
Old 24-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #19
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Dont like it much but at least its going to make microsoft lift there socks up and bring som something really good.
You've used it? What about it do you think will make Microsoft 'lift there socks up'?
Old 24-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #20
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
You've used it? What about it do you think will make Microsoft 'lift there socks up'?
I understand what they are trying to achieve with Chrome, a very lightweight OS that is designed for web based apps. I know people that would find this attractive in a very cheap device to do things like checking email, browsing, net banking etc. You could build a machine around it with very low specs and wi-fi, 3G.

My reading of what they have done is to take a linux kernel and modify it, so nothing ground breaking there.

Can't see it displacing Windows or OSX but it's good that they are trying things.
Old 24-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #21
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I understand what they are trying to achieve with Chrome, a very lightweight OS that is designed for web based apps. I know people that would find this attractive in a very cheap device to do things like checking email, browsing, net banking etc. You could build a machine around it with very low specs and wi-fi, 3G.

My reading of what they have done is to take a linux kernel and modify it, so nothing ground breaking there.

Can't see it displacing Windows or OSX but it's good that they are trying things.
I can see what they are trying to do as well, I just don't think it does a very good job at it from what I've seen playing with it. I also don't see what you could do with it without an internet connection...?

As stated, it essentially ties you into the global search engine that is Google - I use Chrome myself and I'm sure it collects some sort of useage stats when I open a browser window but a device running 'Chromium' would be nothing but useage stats and an absolute dependence on Google for the device to work, something Microsoft doesn't even do.
Old 24-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Yeah, you do have to drink the Google Kool-Aid I suppose.

I'd be wary of Google knowing too much about me.
Old 24-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #23
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I'll make my sandwich thanks.
Old 25-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #24
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use my pc to play games and watch video's and play music and word documents and what not and all this Chrome is tied around having an internet connection. I do abit of off line work so dosent attract me at all.
Old 25-11-2009, 01:52 AM   #25
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still wish there was a version of REAL Dos linked with Windows...

Some games don't work in other operating systems...namely Windows.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #26
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Screw Chromium.
I want Moblin on my dual core laptop !
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #27
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I use my pc to play games and watch video's and play music and word documents and what not and all this Chrome is tied around having an internet connection. I do abit of off line work so dosent attract me at all.
Ok, but that didn't answer my question.

What is it about Chromium that will make Microsoft pull their socks up?
Old 25-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #28
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There a competitor, pretty simple really

Microsoft will loose market share from this hence why they will lift there game. Microsoft will do different marketing to show there OS isent internet based and so on to show people what Chromium is all about.

Many people will jump on the ban wagon to use google Chromium becuz of branding basically.
Old 25-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #29
mikestp
EF Ghia

Youtube Quote:

Quote:
Google: "Yesssss pleasssseee give usss your data to look after, you don't need it in your own computer. We'll bee verrrry carefulll with it" Me: "Nice try. You are evil"
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #30
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
There a competitor, pretty simple really

Microsoft will loose market share from this hence why they will lift there game. Microsoft will do different marketing to show there OS isent internet based and so on to show people what Chromium is all about.

Many people will jump on the ban wagon to use google Chromium becuz of branding basically.
Again, I'd have to ask you... have you used it?

There are thousands of flavours of Linux, many of them have been around 10+ years and at present, combined, make up a market share of ~2% (and we're talking fully functional desktop OS versions of Linux - not essentially a hardened browser).

Perhaps Chromium and Windows Mobile may compete on a handheld device but not on the desktop. It in no way challenges Window's desktop OS products.