Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Default Which Processor?

Well it's that time again where the computer is becoming a little more than a nuiscance and it's time to upgrade.

The problem is that at the moment I have a laptop so upgrading is impossible but instead of replacing it with a brand new one i've decided to go upmarket for a multimedia desktop with all the goodies. My folks have a dell and having had good experience with it I may go with them. 2 computers on their site have caught my eye, the 9150 and the 5150 with a few upgraded options but the main difference is that the 9150 has a 3.2GHz dual core processor and the 5150 has the 3.4GHz HT and is a little cheaper. Having not bought a computer lately i'm not up to date with new technology so if someone could explain to me the differences between the two processors and which would be better for me.

My main activities would be dvd burning, gaming and of course net surfing but basically I need something that can handle these without too much fuss.

Thanks for your help

Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I would always say go with AMD, better processors IMO and they're not one of the many nasty American corporations, well maybe less of.

Que the guy to mention overheating.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Stampy

OMG AMD is not a better processer Is there a AMD in a Apple Mac .....LOL
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

I totally misread that, woops.
AMD Make some decent processors though. Mine's quite decent.

Last edited by Kapn_Kiwi; 14-02-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Kapn_Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Stampy

Intel makes Apple better
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Well I know absolutely nothing about AMD processors, never had one before but I hear they are better at keeping cool
Old 14-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would go for an AMD CPU over a P4.

Compared to AMD Processors the P4 runs hotter and is less efficient... In saying that I have had no trouble with my "Northwood" P4 2.4 Machine and also AMD did have their fair share of overheating problems frying CPU's and mobo's a while back. But in the present time AMD CPU's are so much better than anything in the P4 range.

My next PC will probably be a Dothan core P-M based machine. Mainly because these CPU's are quite efficient and run very cool, and hence very quiet. Pity socket479 desktop mainboards arent too common yet.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Is there any companies such as dell where you can customize your pc to how you want it and can select an AMD option.
Old 14-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
Hitman
Way over here

If it were me, I would go into your local PC store and tell them want you want the PC for and then let them give you a quote, The problem with Dell/HP/Compaq and the other manufacturers is that they dont like you upgrading the PC, they want you to keep it for a few years, and then buy a completely new system, which obviously equals more money in their pocket.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i tryed both, went for P4, i do alot of video rendering, AMD couldnt hack it and died
Old 14-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
OMG AMD is not a better processer Is there a AMD in a Apple Mac .....LOL
Your point being? I use a PPC Mac, and there is nothing wrong with it. Unless you have experience with a Intel Core Duo chip, then don't make jokes like that.

My Choice is either a Core Duo® Intel Chip, or an AMD 6400+ (which is the chip that I wished Apple went with in the new MacBooks and iMac.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
i tryed both, went for P4, i do alot of video rendering, AMD couldnt hack it and died

AMD's main downfall is their video rendering capability. Intel always beat them on this. Mind you I like the AMD processor better than Intel IMO.
For what you want to do both will do a good job, just keep in mind some games have had trouble with dual core processors, but there should be a patch to fix them up.
Personally if you want to do gaming your best bet is to not get the fastest processor but get a slightly slower one and spend more money on your video card. Saying that don't go a pre packaged computer. Goto a computer shop and make one up as you can get what you need and much better advice.

If you want some reading on good computers try Toms Hardware Guide
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
My Choice is either a Core Duo® Intel Chip, or an AMD 6400+ (which is the chip that I wished Apple went with in the new MacBooks and iMac.
a 6400+? That'd cost hojillions.
Old 14-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #14
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I would go for an AMD64 over a P4 any day. AMDs are more power efficient and they dont act as a heater.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 12:09 AM   #15
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In terms of choosing between the 2 processors mentioned by Franky, I'd go the single core 3.4GHz HT CPU over the dual core. Intel's dual core chips aren't as good as AMD, and dual core only gives benefits to people that need to do alot of multitasking. If you're gaming you'd be better off with 1 CPU core capable of higher speeds per CPU, otherwise with dual core you have one CPU working hard running the game and the other handling stuff like OS overheads and a few other processes taking it easy. Unless gaming software is written to take advantage of dual core processors, they will be less efficient than single core CPUs.

If you go AMD, they are better bang for the buck. The Intel 3.4 GHz (P4 650) costs $409 compared to the AMD 3700+ at $359. The Intel 940 dual core costs $659. If you need support, then get a Dell if you want. Generally Intel graphics aren't very good for gaming. The X300 or X600 on offer from Dell for the 5150 - pick the X600, but even this is still an average gaming graphics card
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #16
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AMD FX 60 *drool*

or just an AMD64 X2 3 up to 4800 if you don't want to spend over 1k on just the processor :P
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #17
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
I would go for an AMD64 over a P4 any day. AMDs are more power efficient and they dont act as a heater.
That's a lie.
That said, they're not as hot as P4s. (I've had fairly recent experience with both)
Old 15-02-2006, 03:13 PM   #18
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AMD for Desktops, Intel for Notebooks. No questions.

Although in about 12 months I wouldn't be supprised if the answer is Intel for both.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
AMD for Desktops, Intel for Notebooks. No questions.

Although in about 12 months I wouldn't be supprised if the answer is Intel for both.
If that did happen I would be surprised if AMD didn't release something faster in less than 2 weeks.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
Old 15-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #20
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

lol he asks for advice and it becomes AMD vs Intel thread. It's like Holden vs Ford hahaha

Yes I suppose AMD is more consistent in performance than Intel CPU's but never the less im an Intel Kid

AMD on work computer (im on now).. dads got AMD i built him... but only reason why ... back in P4 vs Amd 1800+ to 2700+ days the AMD's were sooooooooooooooooo damn cheap

dads 2600+ was about 160 bucks about 2 years ago I think and the motherboard around 100

my 2.8Ghz P4 (533mhz bus.. forget the codename) was 500 bucks!! (about 3-4 years ago?)

the motherboard to run it was a lot more expensive to (mind you i got a full size more upgradable one not a baby board)

Go AMD and save dollars, pentiums cost more coz they're better :P
Momo Gear Knob
Schmick Pioneer Headunit w/ Dolphinvision :
4 Channel Kicker Amp to decent speakers;
Alpine Monoblock to Pioneer Subwoofer;
Tuned to perfect clarity-

Outside:

Pure Sexy Falcon w/18" BA XR8 Factory Option Mags
Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Pedders lowered Sports Ryders all 'round
Extractors/Exhaust/Hi-Flo Cat
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #21
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot

Go AMD and save dollars, pentiums cost more coz they're better :P
if by better you mean slower then all good :
Old 15-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #22
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Ka pffft you are very one sided.

Each brand has it's own strengths and weaknesses, im fairly sure for any video encoding/ decoding Intel wins hands down

I was joking when I said Pentium cost more because they are better.. for some reason i just prefer them. neither brand is "better"
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 15-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #23
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Oh

and did you mean

Slower, Steadier, more reliable :P

You know those races with a spoon in your mouth and an egg on the end
What's better .. the guy who gets to the end fast but drops a stack of eggs on the way

or the guy who comes in just behind with the same egg from the start

hahaha what a weird way to put it
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 15-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #24
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh

and did you mean

Slower, Steadier, more reliable :P

You know those races with a spoon in your mouth and an egg on the end
What's better .. the guy who gets to the end fast but drops a stack of eggs on the way

or the guy who comes in just behind with the same egg from the start

hahaha what a weird way to put it
Actually if you look at the way the architechture has evolved it would be the Intels that just try and go as fast as possible. Ramping up the clock speed in an attempt to go faster but failing because the AMDs are so much more efficient. They both work, Intel just have used some dodgy technology. Hyper-Threading anyone? LOL at them going into Macs and the software not working. That and their adds insulting their largest customer base.
Old 15-02-2006, 04:59 PM   #25
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

lol what's this about insulting their largest customer base!?!?
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 15-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #26
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

dont listen to intel/micro$oft fan boyz. get yourself a nice new athlon 64.
Old 15-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #27
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapn_Kiwi
That's a lie.
That said, they're not as hot as P4s. (I've had fairly recent experience with both)
Well if you go Watt for Watt, the AMD will perform better than the P4. The P4 with its 30 stage pipelines now are a joke. The Netburst architecture is failing and intel are already acknowledging that by moving to the achitecture which started out as the Banias. The Netburst architecture made its debut in 1999. It was at a time where the market was still looking at MHz as the performance indicator. By having a (then 20) 30 stage pipeline, it enabled them to pump up the clock speed to ridiculous heights but delivered no actual gain in performance. This lead to an increase in power consumption. All heat but no go is the basic jist of it.

If you want video encoding/editing, then yes, a P4 will be the way to go because alot of video applications are using the SSE3 instruction set to accelerate the data processing. But for everyday use, I'd say that the AMD is more effective.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon

Last edited by pertuan; 15-02-2006 at 05:09 PM.
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #28
luke

Lightbulb

Quote:
lol what's this about insulting their largest customer base!?!?
I think fairmont99 is referring to the tv advert about Intel chips running a mac... Saying that "Before now it has been doing the same boring little tasks, day after day" etc.
and that it can now be found inside a Mac "Where it can do so much more"

Thus insulting to Windows users who use Intel processors... i.e. their largest customer base.

Hope I got that one right

Back on topic... Go the AMD!!!
:

luke

Last edited by luke; 15-02-2006 at 05:14 PM. Reason: correctness and spelllllling
luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #29
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm happy with my AMD 64bit 3800 but I did pay for it.
I think what ever you get will be "better" than what you have now.
If moneys tight cut back on the CPU and spend more on graphics
Thats what I'd do.
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #30
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
If moneys tight cut back on the CPU and spend more on graphics
you gotta be kidding, you should buy the best damn cpu you can afford. graphics can always be updated later. to update a cpu you might have to buy a new motherboard.

also note that a top-end graphics card will suffer a bottleneck effect if the cpu isnt up to scratch.