Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
dogfish

Default Is It Racist To Call A Red Neck A Red Neck?

Coming from Darwin and currently living in Brisbane people always say "Your all Red neck Racists Up There" and I've been wondering does this make them Red Neck Racists themselves for categorising other people.

THE TOY:2003 CV8R Monaro 6Spd Manual.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

youll probably find that it would be the "mexicans" south from the border that all moved to QLD saying that
we as Queenslanders wouldnt say that would we ????
we cant even spell beer
(XXXX) LOL
hypocritical hypocrits !!!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Usually us "northerners" from QLD are labelled rednecks by those in Brisbane too....

hmmmm

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 12-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Kryton

To answer your question, yes it is racist to call someone a redneck.
Like it or not, that is the world we live in today.
Its like calling a Black person a Ni..er, you just cant do it and expect no one to be offended by it.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
To answer your question, yes it is racist to call someone a redneck.
Like it or not, that is the world we live in today.
Its like calling a Black person a Ni..er, you just cant do it and expect no one to be offended by it.

I disagree. How can it be racist? A redneck isnt a race, but African-Americans (or whatever they call themselves) are a race. Id just call it more of a colloquial name that has unfortunately been touted as being bad, admitting though that it was never a good thing to call someone.
Its like when people say your racist if you dont like gays. Its not racist, as they are not a race. Hating Mexicans, Blacks, Asians, Jews to a certain extent, would be racist. But everyone should be able to have there own opinion and ideals anyway, including the people who dont like other races.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Redneck...does anyone know the origin of the word? IIRC it is an American expression used to insult those in the deep south. And not really of any real connection to QLDers and VICs, making all you silly buggers totally wrong when you call each other rednecks

Just having a dig guys, hey, at least you aren't BOGANS...!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Its like when people say your racist if you dont like gays. Its not racist, as they are not a race. Hating Mexicans, Blacks, Asians, Jews to a certain extent, would be racist. But everyone should be able to have there own opinion and ideals anyway, including the people who dont like other races.
Jews aren't a race, its a religion.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I disagree. How can it be racist? A redneck isnt a race, but African-Americans (or whatever they call themselves) are a race. Id just call it more of a colloquial name that has unfortunately been touted as being bad, admitting though that it was never a good thing to call someone.

It's applies only to caucasians so yes it is just as racist as any other word.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Racist.. Redneck.. Bogan??..
Old 12-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

this kinda covers it..... VERY nsfw....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJG_X9BsQlI

Redneck and proud of it!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:

Black is not a race, just a colour!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Just another case of Aussie-wanabe-Yanks....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

........if that’s the most original thing they can come up with to call to you, I would say they have the mentality of a deep sea racing prawn, and you should treat them as such....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 12-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Black is not a race, just a colour!
If you read what I wrote completely, I mentioned Blacks as being African American, which is a race. Sorry I didnt explain it better so you didnt get so confused.
I really dont care if it is or isnt racist. Id class myself as racist, and I dont really care if people dont like that, I call a kettle a kettle, and a car a car, but I try not to let that spill over and rule my life, as I have to work with people from a lot of different diversities. If people really think being called a redneck is offensive or racist, maybe they should just harden up?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with you Monty, people just need to stop being such sensitive soft cocks lol
Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If somebody calls you a redneck, they mean to offend you.
Don't give them the satisfaction. Just thank them and call them something that suits them, then tell them you have to go for a round of 'sticking', but not before lying on the couch on your front garden drinking beers from the fridge also placed on the front lawn.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #16
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree with you Chief. And besides, to me being a redneck is a mindset. In my opinion discrimination refers more accurately to things you don't have a choice in, so being a redneck is a choice you make.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Redneck racist? Not really. It's akin to calling someone a bastard - doesn't really relate to the origin of the word, and is a mild put down only. Like bogan/bevan. When people call me a bogan, I say "thanks - glad you noticed".
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 12-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
Falcman0o7
Banned

Don't worry bout tha rednecks buddy.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #19
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

its not racist unless moronic is a race....

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #20
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Bogan-and proud of it. I'm a falcon owner, drink beer and wear fluros to work, doesn't get more bogan than that!

Redneck? No sunburn here..
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #21
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Redneck...does anyone know the origin of the word? IIRC it is an American expression used to insult those in the deep south. And not really of any real connection to QLDers and VICs, making all you silly buggers totally wrong when you call each other rednecks

Just having a dig guys, hey, at least you aren't BOGANS...!
American origin. Was originally used to refer to people who worked outside for a living in the sun. Sunburnt neck = red neck.

It wasn't a derogatory term to begin with but as it was associated the southern states the term came to be associated with southern attitudes and life style. I think it is also confused with "trailer trash"
Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #22
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
American origin. Was originally used to refer to people who worked outside for a living in the sun. Sunburnt neck = red neck.

It wasn't a derogatory term to begin with but as it was associated the southern states the term came to be associated with southern attitudes and life style. I think it is also confused with "trailer trash"

Like I said, silly silly VICs and QLDers
Game. Reinvented.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Thread of the year
Closed Thread