Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
illusivedreams

Default Propaganda or good television

Propaganda,

Hey guys I just though about it last night.
I have been watching non stop shows like Border Security, Water security Air port security and Different version of Police shows.

Now in your opinion are they a form of government propaganda?

That is are these shows on air to control us in 2 ways.

1st To stop people smuggling and or committing crimes.

2nd Scaring us in to thinking our world is so corrupt so bad that with out this countries near loss of democracy a necessity to stop all out war on our streets and drugs smuggling rivalling Cuba.

Now me personally I’m a little over loosing all my freedoms. I’m finding government’s intervention and control bordering dictatorship.

Please note I’m not an extremist a lot of you have met me and I think I’m pretty level headed guy. I love Australia I don’t want to blow anything up to prove a political agenda.

On the same note I’m just getting a little tired of so much government control, ludicrous taxes, high tariffs and taxes on Taxes. I run a small business and so much of my profit and time goes to government at what ever level taxes and paper work that its hard to find time and money for business.

NSW every long has double demerits and 1 billion police cars to better help us open season for police hunting. I feel I should drive with a target on my head.

I came back from Melbourne on Easter long weekend. A police car every 12 meters and in Melbourne 1000 unmarked cameras.

Now the speed limits are not the problem half the time it’s the pathetic roads that are not improved for years and are hardly better than the goat tracks they replaced. Stop using speedlits as a matter of controlling fatalities instead of dealing with the core problem and that is the lack of acceptable road infrastructure and maintenance.

On the Melbourne note. How does Victoria afford such good infrastructure and Sydney gets ********….?

I’m so over Politics the lies the **************** . I feel like politicians have power over us and not the correct way round. Krudd simply laughs off criticism as though he was god.
I would like to take him out back and knock him one in the head.

K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Bluntman
Loves the blunt

Just wait till they sensor the internet, then you won't be able to make posts like this.

Thanks to our nanny mentality its only a matter of time, and that time is getting closer.
Bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
BOSHOG
avenge me

of course its "propaganda" as you put it, why else would they show the world how their security measures work?

i personally think most of it is staged, and the security measures shown on tv are just the tip of the iceberg, giving the crims a sample of what they have to beat and maybe giving them a sense of false confidence.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
tweeked
N/A all the way

Dont think i have seen anyone doing the right thing being given a hard time on them. I dont mind a bit of border security, what is your alternative?

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Dont think i have seen anyone doing the right thing being given a hard time on them. I dont mind a bit of border security, what is your alternative?

He was referring to the television shows, not border security itself. Obviously we need to stop certain things entering the country.

My vote is yes - definite propaganda, and garbage tv to boot. Just like 99.9% of the rubbish shown by our commercial networks.

As for the rest of the OP, refer to the nanny state thread.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
tweeked
N/A all the way

Its commercial television, not propaganda. You will only get the sensationalised stuff. I do not think Mrs Smith coming back from Fiji with her wood carving would rate very well.

Reminds me of the morning show a few years back. Reporter interviewing a general in East Timor, he is surrounded by Army personell toting guns. I think it was Jessica Rowe - "So general, is it safe there now?" General - "yes Jessica", Jessica - "Why do you need all those soldiers with guns standing around you then?" General - "Your producer asked for them to stand there Jessica, they are here for the barbecue."

It is all a show for your entertainment, no conspiracy.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its is propaganda in my belief... and its also LAZINESS by the commercial TV stations.

Commercial TV MUST have a percentage of "Australian" content. Some of these mind numbing shows simply fit the bill. Kills two birds with one stone...

The absolute garbage on TV, like "reality" TV type shows (which shock horror are not real, but entirely staged!) also help "dumb" down the population.

Some of the Aussie shows hidden on SBS and the ABC are very well produced and good family entertainment. Most of the dribble on commercial TV is utter rubbish.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusivedreams
How does Victoria afford such good infrastructure...
They afford it from all the revenue raised from the aforementioned "1000 unmarked cameras"..
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you're reading too far into this. Especially considering, if indeed you committed any real crime in this country, theres always someone else to blame apparently and chances are the soft court system would allow you to walk with a few slaps on the wrist and a cautioned word not to do it again.

If anything it's reality programming, and it's very much like the newspaper come to life, most of it's not exactly interesting and most feature the lowest of low in situations they clearly shouldn't be in, but's it's reality.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 03:44 AM   #10
Barry_v
rocknrolla

beats big brother.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
illusivedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntman
Just wait till they sensor the internet, then you won't be able to make posts like this.

Thanks to our nanny mentality its only a matter of time, and that time is getting closer.
I agree.

Although I do anticipate civil unrest in Australia over the coming genarations.

I see alot of minority groups ruling and putting laws in palce of the majority.

I only wish we are not so lazzy and go of are butts to do something.

Its such a consern yet we whatcj different safety groups (Farking pedestrian council) has more of a say as to what goes on.

The ************** bicycle lanes that are shrinking the roads from 2 lanes to one.

Because some ************** looney toon thinks the 10 bicycles will make the world a greener place. Dont get me wrong there are incetives that do But the majority can not bend over becasue 4 people would like to ride a bike in the morning.

I think I had it I need to run for office who is with me.

The Infrastructure Party "Paving the way to the fututre"

:
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
"Your producer asked for them to stand there Jessica, they are here for the barbecue."

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Border Security is fun to watch..... We usually have bet's on who's got something hidden up their bum.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
dannyxm
was danny888

Its also perhaps cheaper to show these shows rather than do a sitcom and pay actors and such.

I read somewhere a while ago that the show Fat Pizza was the cheapest show to make on tv. (That was obvious haha) but it still cost around $40k an episode.

Makes you think how expensive other shows are.....
Old 13-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

It's low cost television that rates rather well so it is smart business, it also gives a little recognition to those in a thankless job.

Not as good as Air Crash Investigation though. That's just plain awesome.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly, in the context, LOOSING is NOT the correct word.
LOSING is.
'Loosening' is to untighten something. Losing is when you don't win, or when something is lost.

Secondly, I don't watch this show because I think it's all controlled and some things may be staged. If you were a person acting illegally, would you want your face on television?

I prefer to stick to watching my redneck hillbilly crap like King of the Hill and MacGyver. Sure, it's lame, but at least I know it is only make-believe.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #17
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Not as good as Air Crash Investigation though. That's just plain awesome.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
Fled74
The Thread Killa

It's fear-mongering, plain and simple.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #19
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

100% propaganda. dealing with these idiots is always the low point of an overseas trip for me.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
100% propaganda. dealing with these idiots is always the low point of an overseas trip for me.
Bet they feel the same about you.
Old 13-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Search his bum.........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Search his bum.........
Which one? Same stuff comes out both ends it would seem.
Old 13-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
I work in Customs IT support and would have to agree when it comes to computers.

But believe me the amount of passengers that come pass (and I know what the volume is) , they don't want to deal with more passengers than necessary :
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #24
zdcol71
zdcol71

It used to be called religion, now it's TV. The opiate of the masses. Nothing propoganda about it.
Old 13-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #25
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I don't mind the odd border security, at least it shows that some of the people who try to bring stuff in aren't getting through.

I also love a show called "Banged Up Abroad" which is basically people who have been busted with drugs/excess cash/whatever, usually in a third world country, telling their horror story of what they did, how they got caught, and what the prison was like and stuff - very good doco series produced by NatGeo. While they tell the story, there's a full actor recreation done, and they're quite good, chilling tales. Not Australian but still a great show.

I don't mind the odd reality type tv show, nothing with numbnuts idiots like Big Brother though, more the stuff like Border Security and there's one I saw once a few weeks back where they were investigating traffic accidents that I enjoyed. But the brain dead halfwit sitting on a couch telling the others "yeah mate, true story, rooted Shazza and Cazza at the same time in the front seat of a Kombi on a road trip while the dog ate all the food in the esky" is just stupid.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #26
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

The shows you mention are commercially based (for profit not 100% propaganda) but otherwise I agree with most of what you are saying.
Generally spot on.

The country has gone to the dogs and will be much worse in 2030.

Where's "move Left" or whatever he's called. He's bound to chime in on this one.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #27
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I don't mind the shows, I just hate the formula. I guess they expect the viewing public to have the attention span of a flea. One five minute segment chopped up into three pieces with recaps each time - show the whole freakin segment at once, I promise I can keep track of the whole story.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #28
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Firstly, in the context, LOOSING is NOT the correct word.
That's one out of two errors that give me the irrits, the other being 'alot' and they're commonly misused. No such word people!
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #29
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusivedreams
Hey guys I just though about it last night.
I have been watching non stop shows like Border Security, Water security Air port security and Different version of Police shows.

Now in your opinion are they a form of government propaganda?
Yes.

That is are these shows on air to control us in 2 ways.

1st To stop people smuggling and or committing crimes.
No.

2nd Scaring us in to thinking our world is so corrupt so bad that with out this countries near loss of democracy a necessity to stop all out war on our streets and drugs smuggling rivalling Cuba. No.
Yes I believe it is propaganda, but in complete reverse to the way you think it is.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #30
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
That's one out of two errors that give me the irrits, the other being 'alot' and they're commonly misused. No such word people!
Yeah...I'm a pain in the backside with spelling, but we're all here to learn. Who knows...I might actually learn something about cars one day :

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post