Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 14-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
eski666

Default Roll cage specs

Does any one know what the ANDRA regs are on roll cages as in what material must be used for times run and when you must have one fitted?

eski666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go buy the book from andra - it's all there. Failing that, get a kit from a supplier like Mcdonald Bros for your car and weld it in. What times do you want to run? A cage is necessary once you are into the tens (10.999) or if the car has significant structural changes, such as the firewall.
The thickness, diameter, and mountings are detailed in the book.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
eski666

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Go buy the book from andra - it's all there. Failing that, get a kit from a supplier like Mcdonald Bros for your car and weld it in. What times do you want to run? A cage is necessary once you are into the tens (10.999) or if the car has significant structural changes, such as the firewall.
The thickness, diameter, and mountings are detailed in the book.
Hopefully running in the 10's and was told I needed a chrome-moly 6 point cage that needs to be welded in. Didnt the ANDRA info used to be online?
eski666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eski666
Hopefully running in the 10's and was told I needed a chrome-moly 6 point cage that needs to be welded in. Didnt the ANDRA info used to be online?
Thats right,and also if you have a modified monocoque,
ie: mini tubs or any altering of the body you need a welded in intrusion bar,if you dont have any body altering intrusion bars can be bolt in untill 10.499 from memory?
Crome moly is better due to it being lighter a 6 piont in a falcon is 35odd kg,but I think you can use mild??
but it needs to be of a thicker guage and so even heavier,the cost is in the labour not so much in the material,so moly is the only way to go IMO,
best to get in touch with andra and have everything clear with one of their inspectors before you start if doing it yourself,I got a professional to do mine who builds race cars and have had it tech inspected,going this way saved any hassle.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would ally be any good ??
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [dave]
Not for racing,illegal.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

A 4 point cage is good down to 9.99s. I have a bolt in 4 cage with drivers side intrusion bar in my Fairlane, it is both street legal in WA and meets the ANDRA specs.

Definitely get hold of the ANDRA rule book, it has all the required specs in it.

You can't spell FEar with out an FE.
ToddZC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #8
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

hey todd, does your cage have a taxibar for the harness? dont you live in esperance or something like 6 hours from the city? i would like a tied in 4 or 6 point just to make my flimsy xf a little stiffer thorugh the corners, also im taking it to a drift practise day for a bit of fun later
Old 16-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [dave]

Ally is combustable in the right conditions, plus strength wise the wall thickness would have to be pretty heavy gauge and if ever a fire broke out, it would all be compromised.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #10
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

andra.com.au is the web address, book is $25 from memory. 08 82715355 is the office number
Old 17-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #11
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddZC
A 4 point cage is good down to 9.99s. I have a bolt in 4 cage with drivers side intrusion bar in my Fairlane, it is both street legal in WA and meets the ANDRA specs.
That's good. I didn't realise they were street legal in WA.

What sort of $$ did the cage cost?

Tiapan, Todd's local Perth.

After seeing a few Youtube muscle car crashes, it would be nice to have one even if you aren't in the 10's.

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My roll cage cost just under 1k from Mcdonald bros and welded straight in. It was a mild steel unit and was a fairly straight forward instal. Chrome mold is lighter, but more expensive and requires tig welding.
Alloy is outright a nono.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #13
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

I had the cage done with a whole heap of other mods at the same time, so can't give you an exact figure. Although, around the $1k mark for a weld in mild steel cage sounds about right. Bolt in or CM steel are an added expense.

Old 17-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

Tiapan, my cage does have the taxi bar and I mount the shoulder straps of the harness on it. As Trublue said, I'm local Perth.

Old 17-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloke here had a CM cage made for an LH Hatch, was around $2000 I think. Made to sub 10.99 ANDRA specs
Old 27-09-2007, 12:49 AM   #16
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

over 800 lb...rollcage
1 5/8 tube with .116 wall thickness
mild steel...
shoulder and frame rails ..1 1/4 with .075 thickness
uprights and crossmembers
as above
diagonals..22mm / 7/8 dia with 1.5 mm / .060 thick...
from page 117 Andra Rule book...
All mild steel specs..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post