Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

Angry car dealers ..

i recently went with my little cousin who has an au xr6 leather interior the full book..even with 19" wheels and lots of extras..went to several dealers and asked them what he will give us for it..i got pathetic offers like 3,000..another said 2,500..and the highest i got was 5,500 !! so we have now put it private ..what an outrage and a scam!! so they can put a 9 grand figure on it and make a healthy profit !! and they are a pack of smart-alecs aswell!!

gun-fpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: car dealers ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUN-260
and make a healthy profit !!
That's why they are selling cars....

to make a profit

and the same reason Ford (and every other manufacturer) makes cars
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Were you asking them for an outright buy or trade in price?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

no reason to scam someone though mate..its an absolute joke and i cant beleive they get a way with it.....and if your a car dealer mate dont bother arguing with me just dont write in the thread (u sound abit defensive)
Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Were you asking them for an outright buy or trade in price?
well both really i got crappy offers both ways..i asked one guy if hed give me 7,500 and basically turned into a smartass and i felt like throwing my shoe at him
Old 09-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
That's why they are selling cars....

to make a profit

and the same reason Ford (and every other manufacturer) makes cars
That is correct, but you also have to remember an AU is coming up to being 15 years old now depinding on build date. I would be surprised if you could sell that car for more than 5 grand. Even in really good condition.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

well if the car market is turning into that then why arnt other makes and models going down in price ?? you still see ba's for 25-30,000
Old 09-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Used car market is cactus. You should go to the auctions and see what BA and BF XR6's are going for..............and I can tell you it's not 25 to 30 thou
Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

what do you guys think is reasonable for a 2001 ford au xr6 fully optioned..leather interior,,rims..sound system the full book..145,000kms??
i dont think 6 or under is fair !
Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8-Brute
i recently went with my little cousin who has an au xr6 leather interior the full book..even with 19" wheels and lots of extras..went to several dealers and asked them what he will give us for it..i got pathetic offers like 3,000..another said 2,500..and the highest i got was 5,500 !! so we have now put it private ..what an outrage and a scam!! so they can put a 9 grand figure on it and make a healthy profit !! and they are a pack of smart-alecs aswell!!
Supply and demand.
There is bugger-all demand for AUs and a number still on the road.

Also, dealerships will never offer you a great price. Private sale is always the way to go if you want a particular price...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you check redbook value? LOTS of AU XR6 available on carpoint for $5K, probably $4K if you rock up with cash.

Your mate should have jumped at $5.5K
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

$5,500 from a dealer was a good price.

It might have leather and look really nice. But the 19" wheels and "lot of extra's" might also have given the dealers the impression that the car has had a hard life.

I'm not a great lover of salesmen. But to be fair after they've paid you they then have to get it checked mechanically. Get it detailed. Provide a warranty and make a profit.

This is why most people prefer to sell their old car privately and buy the next one with no trade in
Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
BA Baracus
xls

Might be better off pulling the 19's off and selling separate then putting stock wheels on it. Probably makes stuff all difference to what get for it and might make bit extra on wheels elsewhere.

Even if 2002 Redbook price isn't real high.

Quote:
2002 Ford Falcon XR6 AU III

* Private Price Guide $6,100 - $7,800
* Trade In Price Guide $3,500 - $5,200
http://www.redbook.com.au
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep its a good buyers market had a mate pick up a 6spd BF Fairlane with 200,000kms and full history for $6000 at auction they even got a 02 AU3 XR8 auto for $3500. You sould also remember that that is the sort of car a ford dealer wont sell it will get sold to a wholesaler so the will pay what a wholesaler will pay.
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

im starting to think that..(not because i agree with dealers) but of how pathetic the market is..im just gonna tell the young tacker to save his coin and sell the car for bugger all ..thanks guys..just didnt know how much and how things devaluate to basically stuff all
Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
XC_Lizzard

Where's the scam?

Car dealers have never been known for offering top dollar, and a quick look on carsales shows that age, transmission, and mileage seem to be the determining factors for the top end of AU XR6's. Was your cousins car a low mileage, manual, series III?
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I hate to say it, but welcome to the real world...
You can pick up a BA GT for under 21k now if you search hard enough, sometimes we have to face the facts that our falcons depreciate quite rapidly. Things are the same on the red team too.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #18
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8-Brute
im starting to think that..(not because i agree with dealers) but of how pathetic the market is..im just gonna tell the young tacker to save his coin and sell the car for bugger all ..thanks guys..just didnt know how much and how things devaluate to basically stuff all
Ahhh, the lessons of life, I remember when I thought dealers were scum too. I still think some are but they have a job to do and they need to make a profit. Remember also if you are trading then you may be able to swing a bit more out of them as the deal goes further along or a reduction of the sticker price, more likely. At the end of the day if yoy trade or even buy a car the most important thing is that you walk away happy. If you aren't happy with the deal then move on.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #19
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got $6000 for my AUII Fairmont Ghia 75th Anniversary with 100,000 odd km's. Told him I was there to buy then and there, got a good price for it.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #20
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No scam here sunshine... Just the reality of trading in a 10+ year old car, owned by a P plater, modified, to a dealership.... A lot of people don't understand the difference between a 'wholesale' trade in value, a 'retail' asking price, and a 'retail' selling price...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #21
Tracey
Starter Motor

I bought a car brand new, then two years later needed to sell it. I thought I would try the car yards that advertise they want cars and will pay you cash. Didn't get very far and had some interesting conversation, but one that sticks in my mind, is I was told that my car had been in an accident and had had a respray. I said no your wrong and he wanted to argue,so I turned around and walked away with him running after me throwing offers at me.
The only thing car dealer are good for is warranty on a car that has run out of factory warranty. If you want a deal go private, if you need cash take it to a car dealer
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #22
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

fair price at 5500 to me. looked at a au2 xr8 manual with leather at a dealer today and was told 8500 and its mine
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #23
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

Thanks for the help blokes ..I spoke to the young fella and he has decided to save the extra coin and just sell it for a cheaper price..gona take him a while but yea I think it's best..thanks again guys
Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

So why is he wanting to sell the car??
Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #25
NC_Steve
She needs premium dude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
No scam here sunshine... Just the reality of trading in a 10+ year old car, owned by a P plater, modified, to a dealership.... A lot of people don't understand the difference between a 'wholesale' trade in value, a 'retail' asking price, and a 'retail' selling price...

It will still be a 10+ year old car when the dealer tries to sell it for 9-10K. Fair enough they have a business to run and need to make a profit but a 5-6K increase in price is ridiculous.
NC_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #26
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Steve
It will still be a 10+ year old car when the dealer tries to sell it for 9-10K. Fair enough they have a business to run and need to make a profit but a 5-6K increase in price is ridiculous.
they have to clean it, advertise it, supply warranty, dealership cost to the price and the time during selling in wages. plus repair anything thats wrong with it

it all adds up and low and behold at the end they need to make money.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #27
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering on trade in of a vehicle, they'll no doubt do a complete service on the car, fix any problems that need addressing and do a road-worthy. Followed by a complete wash and detail then advertise it as part of a full page advert in the local paper.

Parts, staff & labor, on-going maintenance, any external costs and advertising. I'd expect atleast a $2000 uplift from the price of trade-in just to break even.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #28
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
So why is he wanting to sell the car??
He is off his p's and wants to get himself an xr6t..tried to convince him to go the 8 but no chance lol atleast I tried
Old 09-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #29
NC_Steve
She needs premium dude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
they have to clean it, advertise it, supply warranty, dealership cost to the price and the time during selling in wages. plus repair anything thats wrong with it

it all adds up and low and behold at the end they need to make money.

A full detail would cost no more than $150. Adverting < $50 per car if they take out a half page ad in the local paper? I don't think they are legally obligated to supply a warranty for such an old car and if they do it would be at the cost of the purchaser. If there is anything that needs repairing they will factor that in when giving you a trade in price. Dealership cost would depend on the size of the yard and location. Wages would also depend on the size of the yard.
NC_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #30
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just because he puts it on the lot +4 or 5 doesn't mean he is going to get that. When was the last time anyone paid sticker price for a car at a dealer?