Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
schultzie
Just Images

Default looking for advise on a work car

Well i lost my job 2 weeks ago as a rigger, due to a lack of work.

In my new job i will be Working as a laborer, Peggie and rigger OH&S and more. now i will be traveling further kilometers including tolls.

I have basically come to the conclusion that my ute will end up getting damaged and will end up costing me a bucket load in fuel, not to mention the extra klm on the car.

i sat down and roughly worked out all my costs to run my Ute in to the ground (not what i want to do it is my pride and joy) and also to try running 2 cars, with the 2nd one being on gas. it worked out slightly in my favor to run the 2nd car apart from it going to take 5-6 years to recoup the initial purchase price.

So i will have some tools, mostly electrical stuff, and i will be using a logbook to claim travel on tax.

im eithor looking at a:
2001 Toyota hilux space cab petrol manual
or a 2002 Au3 5ltr manual

which ever one i get i will put on gas. keeping in mind economy is the aim. also the hilux allows for extra passengers in the super squeezey back seat.

What are your thoughts, ? which car would you have or suggest?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Well I bought an XH 5spd on gas with rebuilt motor only done 25000kms, it has dints and dings all over. Perfect knockabout work ute for $3k and reg for 10 months. Surely it wouldnt take you that long to re-coup that purchase price if you settled for something a little cheaper like I did.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
JAZSXY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ditto for an XH, if you don't like that the Hilux would be the pick
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
schultzie
Just Images

yeah, im looking at spending around 7-10k , works out better tax wise from what i believe... and i want something wont wont give me problems...

u got your self a bargain there
Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
mad cow
blue oval addict

i second the xh on gas, i have one as a work ute and its great, very comfortable great heat and air con. fairly cheap. try and get a manual as they really are better on fuel. i paid $3,100 for my local ford dealer to put it on gas and claimed $2000 back on the rebate. mine tows a work trailer all day and never misses a beat.
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
schultzie
Just Images

are they better than the xg, my pannelvan has chronic over heating issues in summer with the A/c on
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are Hilux's and the like charged the same as a ute/car or more because they are a cab chassis?
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
schultzie
Just Images

good thought, i know dads is light comercial...ill find out.. technically the falcon ute should be light commercial as the tub isnt connected to the body but im charged as a car.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
schultzie
Just Images

that answers that... it is a LCV. im disappointed i almost settled on the hilux...

more maths it may still work out in my favor
Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have said hilux as a take home work car. Ive done about 15,000km since Ive had it (about 6 months). It gets flogged everywhere, havent checked the oil in, well, about 2 months, exhaust has a big hole in it and clutch is on the way out (been this way since I got it). Now has 315K on it and still going very strong, cant kill them even if you try. Even with my driving(flat out everywhere) I get 500 town km's to a tank, and thats taking into account that I have at least 150kg in the back at all times. If I was to ever go out on my own Id buy one in a heartbeat. Only thing that I dont like about it is with big weight in the back they are quite sluggish and for some reason it feels like you get turbo lag even though it doesnt have one.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
schultzie
Just Images

haha, our old work one was the same, really torque at low revs and then they come on cam and they are cool

worked out it will cost me $1300 PA in tolls extra for a hilux that isnt a small amount.. wish there was a way around it
Old 05-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad cow
i second the xh on gas, i have one as a work ute and its great, very comfortable great heat and air con. fairly cheap. try and get a manual as they really are better on fuel.
Heat works like a beauty. I drove from Maffra to Melb and I had the heater on until the car warmed up then turned it off and left the tap on hot. Didnt need it for the rest of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzie
i want something wont wont give me problems...

u got your self a bargain there
The motor, box, diff is in sound condition and had reciepts for over $3500 of engine work. Remember I paid $3000 with reg. Cost me $500 to get RWC. The outside is shitty as I wanted and the only grief I have has was the coolant tank blew, de-pressurizing the system which ment the gas would not work and the ute stopped. $15 fix and I was on the road again.

If any more problems arise with the XH its a cheap easy fix as opposed to buying newer and having expensive newer car problems.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
JAZSXY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
GUTLES
Adam.

Hey Justin if your really looking for economy why not an AU3 XR6 5 Speed on LPG?

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #14
schultzie
Just Images

decided i want extra seats. going to go down the hilux route. extra cab, 5sp, 2.7lt petrol on gas.

Unbreakable and bullet proof. cant kill them would prefer the rodeo almost for looks but they dont have back seats in the extra cab.

but good thinking though. talking ot the accountant tomorrow see what he says
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good choice I think. I know someone who owned a rodeo around the same vintage and sold it ASAP, said it was just utter rubbish in every way, holden never did make a good (useful) ute anyway.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah if going the hilux route make sure you do put it on gas, those 2.7Ls are as thirsty as a six-cyl even though they're only a 4.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #17
schultzie
Just Images

they should be pretty good for freeway driving?

do i want a canopy or not? a canopy would make it harder to get my tools out
Old 06-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
Crazed

Please test drive both before deciding, I can promise you after a drive, you will choose the Falcon! I think we get a bit spoiled by the Falcons because they are so common we just think they are like any other ute, they are not.

A falcon ute will be faster, handle better, be much more comfortable, cheaper to fix, and tow better than a Hilux. Plus Falcons will have other positives such as better interior, better safety gear, much better highbeam lights.

It dosnt have the practicallity of the extra seats though, and for some that is a deal-breaker.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #19
schultzie
Just Images

Default Got one

I already have an bf2 xr8 ute i know what it is liek to have a new car..

and well u cant to past toyota tough.. towing doesnt worry me and nothing wrong with he appointment of the hilux

sooooo...

i got myself a car today, 2001 extra cab hilux, tub liner, canopy, dvd, centeral locking (alarm), and 2 sets of rims and tires,

266,000km

$7500 with 12months reg literally

should get it tomorrow i hope

Last edited by schultzie; 12-07-2009 at 07:38 PM.
schultzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #20
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice work schultzie, now to try out some of those Top Gear Hilux tricks
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #21
GUTLES
Adam.

Is the Hilux gunna get airbags lol!

Seriously you can't go wrong with a Hilux, I had one as my last work Car, I thrashed the hell out of it, when I got a new one it'd done 430,000km, original clutch, second set of Tyres, never used any oil, only had noisy lifters, it was on LPG from the time it had 15,000km on it, thats a pretty good advertisement for Hilux's hey, there tough as nails, wish I had a newer one now.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #22
schultzie
Just Images

not a chance this is staying standard... apart from installing some audio gear i have lying around home.

besides having one car on airbags is enough...

yeah im looking forward to getting it...

how far did u get out of a tank on gas? and how manly liters
Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #23
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzie
how far did u get out of a tank on gas? and how manly liters
350-400 litres from a 80 Litre Tank (around 74 litres usable), I used to think it was expensive to run but its heaps cheaper then my current work ute, Diesel is a bit over rated for being cheap to run these days.

Old 13-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #24
schultzie
Just Images

i think ill get a big tank in the tray... nothing beats going a further distance
Old 13-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #25
GUTLES
Adam.

Do that for sure Justin, LPG takes ages to fill, I used to fill mine every 2nd - 3rd day which drove me mad. When I got the Diesel Ute I thought sweet I'll get heaps better distance from this, nope, empty @ 400km aswell.

Did you pick it up today?

Old 13-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #26
schultzie
Just Images

nah it needed new rear pads, and various steering and suspension bushes around it.

pick it up tomorrow night now.... will post a couple pics after i get it