Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Ben85

Default Carbon Fibre Bonnet

Just wondering if anyone knows if someone makes a carbon fibre vented bonnet for the WQ fiesta?

On another note, im changing my factory headunit to a double din pioneer unit, i'll post some pics when its done.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Carbon Fibre bonnets are illegal in Australia .... I might be wrong though? ... "it has been known"..
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Ben85

Yea i dunno mate, they look the part tho!!!!

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Old 19-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
I think Carbon Fibre bonnets are illegal in Australia .... I might be wrong though? ... "it has been known"..
Comes down to whether the bonnet meets ADRs and the bigger problem is usually with insurance companies. Having said that though there a number of guys on here who have them on their cars with no problems.
Old 19-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

It's an ADR compliance issue normally, the carbon fibre bonnets aren't crash tested so what happens to them in an accident is an unknown. Same with fibreglass etc.
Old 21-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Ben85

Thanx for the information guys, its been much appreciated, but still wondering if anyone knows where to get one for a fiesta?

Old 21-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #7
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Pumaspeed have one but it's not vented. Check it out:

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.php?id=628
Old 21-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
Ben85

Thanx mate. Wow they arent cheap are they. I had mate just get a vented one for an integra for 800 bucks, that one on there is like 1250 or so. 1250 for just a plain carbon fibre bonnet is a bit much i think.

Old 21-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #9
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

It's all about the demand, parts for imports always seem to be a little cheaper.
Old 22-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Just vent your current bonnet, it may make it a little lighter!!
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
Ben85

Yea i thought about that actually, but i dont want it to look too tacky if you kno wat i mean. I've seen some other cars who have done that and they look like they've cut holes and put chicken wire under them!!! LOL. You guys wouldnt kno of a place that does that kind of work in sydney?

Old 22-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arent carbon fibre bonnets illegal because a crash tested monaro with a carbon fibre bonnet had the bonnet slice through the cabin? Any truth to this? We should email the Mythbusters!!

I dont think you should and trouble with just installing carbon fibre vents.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

It all depends of if its ADR complianced or not. Doesn't matter what its made of, stock bonnet without ADR compliance = illegal, Carbon fibre with ADR compliance = legal

Bloggs: Why would a monaro crash test have any implications to a Ford Fiesta?
Old 22-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs24
Arent carbon fibre bonnets illegal because a crash tested monaro with a carbon fibre bonnet had the bonnet slice through the cabin? Any truth to this? We should email the Mythbusters!!

I dont think you should and trouble with just installing carbon fibre vents.
As far as i know if kevlar is used in carbon products they won't splinter like a fibreglass unit would. It gives it flexibility. There are cars available that have carbon body panels. An example is the Renault R26 that uses a carbon bonnet. So it should be safe.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post