Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
TOP DOG

Default Additional petrol tank and lines

Has anyone ever fitted an auxillary fuel tank?
10 litres of petrol just isn't enough. I can only modify it to about 15l given the available space, but I can fit a mirror image one to the other side of the wagon. Dual fuel fillers A'La Mini Cooper S .

If I did this is it possible to fit a tee piece to the fuel line to hook up the second tank?
TOP DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2015, 11:55 PM   #2
Spurious

Default Re: Additional petrol tank and lines

Why not salvage the dual fuel hoses & isolating switches from a wrecked 4x4?
Just push a button on the dash to switch tanks !
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-10-2015, 03:26 AM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, there's the Nissan model, where you push a button and it pumps from the auxiliary tank into the main.
Or the Toyota model, when you switch between the two.
Toyota seems better, until you run one tank dry and have to bleed the air from your diesel lines. I think the modern ones have protection against this, but on the old ones it was a PITA.

I don't know what the setup for your Popemobile is, but I imagine the petrol pump is still mounted in the tank?
So easiest setup is to simply duplicate, including fuel lines, fit shut-off solenoids to each line, relays to each pump, and have a switch. So switch left, opens left solenoid and powers left pump relay. Switch right opens right solenoid and powers right pump relay.

The problem is that with separate fillers, whilst it sounds easy, it would be a PITA with most servos. Imagine queuing to fill one side, then having to turn around and repeat for the other.
That way you don't need to duplicate anything, its effectively just one big tank.
If you can do it, and assuming the tanks are on the same level, and of the same depth, the simplest way is to join the two tanks with a large diameter pipe at the lowest level (and also ensure the secondary tank has an adequate breather.)
This user likes this post:
Old 12-10-2015, 12:22 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Well, there's the Nissan model, where you push a button and it pumps from the auxiliary tank into the main.
Or the Toyota model, when you switch between the two.
Toyota seems better, until you run one tank dry and have to bleed the air from your diesel lines. I think the modern ones have protection against this, but on the old ones it was a PITA.

I don't know what the setup for your Popemobile is, but I imagine the petrol pump is still mounted in the tank?
So easiest setup is to simply duplicate, including fuel lines, fit shut-off solenoids to each line, relays to each pump, and have a switch. So switch left, opens left solenoid and powers left pump relay. Switch right opens right solenoid and powers right pump relay.

The problem is that with separate fillers, whilst it sounds easy, it would be a PITA with most servos. Imagine queuing to fill one side, then having to turn around and repeat for the other.
That way you don't need to duplicate anything, its effectively just one big tank.
If you can do it, and assuming the tanks are on the same level, and of the same depth, the simplest way is to join the two tanks with a large diameter pipe at the lowest level (and also ensure the secondary tank has an adequate breather.)
You could always run another filler to the same side,
if you could find room above the original the reserve tank could gravity feed into the original.

to the original poster, if needed a special made tank to fit custom dimensions can be made to suit, most 4wd accessory places have reserve tank sellers on the books, no doubt with a bit of searching one of these mobs could do one for you.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
TOP DOG

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
Just to give you some idea of the space I have to work with, here is a pic of the current tank size and location.

The current tank can be enlarged to fill the available space, but to ensure adequate fuel reserves another tank would be required.
Due to the layout of the vehicle, the only way I can see would be to mirror image on the drivers side.

Having to fill from both sides will be a bit inconvenient, but easier than using a fransfer pump to fill the 2nd tank and then fill the original one.
It is not possible to run a balance tube between these two tanks without encroaching into the wheelchair well, which would defeat the purpose of the FlashCab.
I was going to run both tanks simultaneously, but will now go with a change over switch, so I can manually swap between them.

Last edited by TOP DOG; 11-07-2016 at 01:00 PM.
TOP DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes its a bit of a task with limited space, i wish you good luck with that Graham.

i had a 60 litre reserve tank on my old G60 patrol that ( was just as well it drank like an XYGT ) which was basically like a cube and hung between the rails and still with no impost on ground clearance (bloody lovely ) ,

i didnt bother with a gauge i just used the reserve first and flicked to full when she sputtered ,, for me it was easy , it had the old mechanical pump on the engine it was simply a matter of flipping the switch to open the valve to one tank or the other , also had a full length roof rack with 3 jerry holders for an all up capacity of 180 litres, very nice having that extra capacity , you can pick and choose where to fill at the cheap spots.

this is the mob i was thinking of for sourcing a tank , i dont know if they could help you out, might be worth a look though ..

http://www.browndavis.com.au/long-range-fuel-tanks/
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post