Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Ford Falcon four-cylinder..(My CommentHere We Go AGAIN!! This the last Falcon in OZ!!

Ford Falcon four-cylinder
By Craig DuffHerald Sun06 December 2011EmailPrint+-
The key will be getting people in cars to appreciate the quality of the new product
The newest Falcon is the smartest Ford yet.

And it's also the last chance for the Australian public to overcome an historic aversion to four-cylinder large family sedans.

It is probably already too late for the long-term future of the Ford Falcon - at least as a locally designed and build car - but first impressions are the Ecoboost 2.0-litre four-cylinder direction-injection turbo Falcon has performance close to the venerable 4.0-litre in-line six-cylinder now installed in the FG Falcon.

It joins the LPG - powered "EcoLPi" Falcon and the turbodiesel Territory as part of a three-pronged strategy to improve efficiency in Ford's large vehicles. Ford is expected to announce the locally designed and built Falcon will be replaced by a global platform vehicle - potentially as early as the Detroit Motor Show in January.

That is in part due to product rationalisation and the also fact the six-cylinder can't meet the Euro V emissions standards that will come in to force from 2016.

The timetables for vehicle production means the local product will continue until at least 2016 and in the interim the EcoBoost is expected to headline the drive to halt the slump in Falcon sales.

It deserves that expectation - a brief drive on the ride and handling track at the Ford proving ground shows the 50kg shaved off the front axle make the Falcon a precise and willing steerer.

The acceleration tests then prove it is almost a match for the six-cylinder engine now fitted to the XT, G6 and G6E models the 2.0-litre turbo will be fitted to.

The key will be getting people in cars to appreciate the quality of the new product - and in the fuel consumption figures Ford won't release until closer to the vehicle's launch in early April.

"EcoBoost is the replacement for displacement and is no longer about the number of cylinders but about capability," Ford Australia president and CEO Bob Graziano says. He's right - and he's wrong.

Arch-rival Holden has managed to consistently outsell Ford based on the VE Commodore the beats the Falcon on styling, not engineering. Ford has added equipment and cut prices across the range with the launch of the updated "Mark II" car due in dealerships later this month but its year-to-date sales of 15,882 are more than 9000 vehicles down on this time last year.

The Commodore's decline isn't nearly as dramatic, but Australians are shifting away from large family sedans and a four-cylinder Falcon, while a brilliant engineering exercise, probably is a case of too little, too late.

It's taken three years for Ford to engineer the EcoBoost for the Falcon and the final performance figures are expected to be higher than the 177kW/320Nm the same engine generates in the Volvo S60. Power and torque numbers don't tell the whole story but they will influence potential buyers who will compare them with the 195kW and 391Nm of the six-cylinder Falcon - and ignore the four-cylinder's 60kg weight saving.

History will also hurt the EcoBoost Falcon. The last time a four-cylinder was put in an Aussie family car was the infamous 1.9-litre Starfire engine Holden shoved under the bonnet of the VC Commodore in 1980.

The performance was so poor that drivers kept the accelerator flat to the floor and the claimed fuel economy benefits over the six-cylinder model evaporated. The Falcon doesn't deserve the comparison ... but Ford will have to persuade new car buyers otherwise.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford Falcon four-cylinder..(My CommentHere We Go AGAIN!! This the last Falcon in OZ!!

Carsguide strikes again. They cannot do an article on Falcon without adding their assumption that Falcon is finished and putting that in the there.

They go out of their way to do it everytime.

They also had a picture of a VW Scirroco attached to the article in the Herald Sun, with a caption saying it was an Ecoboost Falcon.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
g220ba
FGX XR8

Default Re: Ford Falcon four-cylinder..(My CommentHere We Go AGAIN!! This the last Falcon in OZ!!

They also managed to make a vague comparison with the starfire engine. They really do want it to fail don't they?
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Continuous media bashing even when falcon is doing fine. Doom and gloom.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I recently did a 5 week work trip to Perth... Nice place BTW

We had three rental cars while there, An FG XR6 and two 4Cyl Camry's.

One afternoon coming back to our apartments I parked my Camry side by side next to the FG, mirror to mirror. They are both pretty much look the same length, same width, the Camry having a higher roof. Apart from the Camry feeling a little sluggish because of the smaller engine, I didnt really have any issues with it. The FG feels bigger on the inside, but to look at them side by side and knowing the four cylinder is coming to Falcon, I can see it working.

Just my 2c on having the opportunity to drive both.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Sometimes, csv8, I'm glad you don't post links cos in this instance these clowns don't deserve hits to their site.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The article states that the I6 cannot pass euro V. I'm lead to believe is can pass euro V, the question is one of economics, ie is it worth the money?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
The article states that the I6 cannot pass euro V. I'm lead to believe is can pass euro V, the question is one of economics, ie is it worth the money?
It can, quite easily.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Carsguide strikes again. They cannot do an article on Falcon without adding their assumption that Falcon is finished and putting that in the there.

They go out of their way to do it everytime.

They also had a picture of a VW Scirroco attached to the article in the Herald Sun, with a caption saying it was an Ecoboost Falcon.
Yes - glad someone else spotted that ! It's not the first time cars guide have made this error too, kind of 'journalism 1.01' I would have thought, having a picture of the vehicle the article is about, not something completely different. Who's responsible for proof reading at the Herald Sun? They need an eye test!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very positive review. Looks like engine is a ripper,
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The end of that article (not posted) also stated that the forthcoming Kugu in march next year would have a 2.5lt V6 engine (it will have an I5 turbo!).
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #12
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

"The acceleration tests then prove it is almost a match for the six-cylinder engine now fitted to the XT, G6 and G6E models the 2.0-litre turbo will be fitted to." It also will totally outperform the 3.0L SIDI Commodore, which they failed to mention.

""EcoBoost is the replacement for displacement and is no longer about the number of cylinders but about capability," Ford Australia president and CEO Bob Graziano says. He's right - and he's wrong." That comment is what you would expect from a typical Holden Automaton which this guy obviously is. If I was working in the Holden development team I'd be worried by Ecoboost. Holden have nothing to even come close to this range of engines.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

"Arch-rival Holden has managed to consistently outsell Ford based on the VE Commodore the beats the Falcon on styling, not engineering. Ford has added equipment and cut prices across the range with the launch of the updated "Mark II" car due in dealerships later this month but its year-to-date sales of 15,882 are more than 9000 vehicles down on this time last year." A totally subjective comment, but it does make one important admission. Holdens are backwards when it comes to engineering refinement. They didn't mention how many Commodore sales Holden have lost this year. The Commodore is being migrated away from as well in large numbers due to the economy conscious either going for a Toyota Corolla or those who aren't as concerned by economy heading into the growing SUV sector.

"The Commodore's decline isn't nearly as dramatic, but Australians are shifting away from large family sedans and a four-cylinder Falcon, while a brilliant engineering exercise, probably is a case of too little, too late." I would say that too if I worked for Holden. It's a wishful thinking statement that basically denies the opposition any victory in the hope that the real problem will go away. One thing they did admit is that the Ecoboost is a "brilliant engineering exercise" but the word "exercise" holds the connotation that it's a wasted exercise in this context. No one can predict the future, not even Holden automatons.

"History will also hurt the EcoBoost Falcon. The last time a four-cylinder was put in an Aussie family car was the infamous 1.9-litre Starfire engine Holden shoved under the bonnet of the VC Commodore in 1980." Yes Holden does make some really crap cars, you got that right, but comparing a well engineered Ford, to a totally rubbish Holden thrown together in 5 minutes 31 yrs ago is not even a comparison. The future will prove if history is right, but again if I was Holden in denial I'd say exactly the above.

"The performance was so poor that drivers kept the accelerator flat to the floor and the claimed fuel economy benefits over the six-cylinder model evaporated. The Falcon doesn't deserve the comparison ... but Ford will have to persuade new car buyers otherwise." You corrected yourself Holden automaton. It just proves that your argument is unfounded. Again Holden in denial.

If Holden had Ecoboost the tune of this report would be full of praise at how Holden was more technologically advanced than it's low tech opposition such as Ford, and how people would launch into the 4cyl Commodore as it was the way of the future in regards to economy and performance. Instead this report is full of fake praise and underlying efforts to make readers cautious of this new threat to the Holden lineup. Holden are scared as they have nothing even close to this. But maybe they'll just keep making bigger and bigger pushrod V8's to keep the Holden automatons happy, and they'll plaster them full of fake go fast plastic and release 30 different variants advertsising the exact kW output of each variant. I can see a 7.4L Commodore coming up people.
6th car 95 XG ute
Fords all my life.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

There won't be many present buyers of this car that have heard of the starfire commodore let alone experienced it. Id never heard if it till I jumped on here.

It's a bit rich to drag up a competitors vehicle from 30 yrs ago as a comparison.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #15
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Good posts TMC, it's exactly how read it too.

"Arch-rival Holden has managed to consistently outsell Ford based on the VE Commodore the beats the Falcon on styling, not engineering."
This comment shows how out of touch the writer is. The FG looks almost one full generation newer than VE, as well as the fact looks are purely subjective. A fair few Holden fans have praised the FG's looks.
One reason behind the sales bias is the perception that "Holden is Australian but Ford isn't". Another reason is Holden, who've admitted this, would lose money to remain on top of the sales charts.

The "worry and doom and gloom" shown by journos (and some of out distinguished members here) that Ford are facing oblivion is self perpetuated and most likely doesn't exist within Ford.

Last edited by Falc'man; 11-12-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #16
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
One reason behind the sales bias is the perception that "Holden is Australian but Ford isn't".
Yes I agree. That is an inaccurate belief though of course, but the average Joe wouldn't know.

Let's see, the Commodore hasn't had an Australian V8 since the 304 was dropped when the LS motors came out back in the mid 90's. It hasn't had an Australian 6 since the VN was introduced in 1988 and the Buick V6 was taken up. On the other hand Ford still has a truly all Aussie 6 which the yanks would love to get there hands on.

This kind of reminds me of something most Ford people know about the older Holdens. How do you improve a Holden (especially when it comes to racing at Bathurst for example)? You throw out the Holden motor and gearbox and put a Chevrolet motor and gearbox in and a Ford 9 inch diff. Even Holden must agree because that's exactly what they have done (except for the diff) in everything since the 304 was dropped.

Holden, as Australian as grid iron, baseball and the Statue of Liberty.
6th car 95 XG ute
Fords all my life.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #17
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Domestically, journalists have always been biased against Ford. I think that is no big secret.

We will see what happens internationally though, without General Motors, Holden is pretty much finished as a car company. Hell, would have been finished in 2008 if it wasn't for some massive bailouts by local politicians.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:20 AM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The article is intended to draw a response out of Ford in the hope that they will reveal their decision on the +2015 car.
It's always been about that, it's driving journalists nuts that Ford won't shed any light and it's why they continue rumors.

Ecoboost is great, it's four cylinder, it keeps up pretty good with the 4.0, it drinks less fuel than the Omega.
Holden are about to lose their biggest edge when it comes tofuel economy, they have no answer to Ecoboost.
I have the feeling that fleets are ready to migrate back to Falcon thanks to EcoLPI, it gives them exactly what they want.

Ford double bluffed Holden with I-6 axing and Focus production, getting them to commit to Cruze and SIDI 3.0,
they thought they had Ford covered then Ford moves Focus to Thailand, revives I-6 and brings Ecoboost.....
Holden is now stuck with engines that can't match Ford, Cruze production may soon outstrip Commodore
but that means Elizabeth makes a lot less profit per car, so Holden is flat out making less money.....

Meanwhile Ford now has EcoLPI, Ecoboost, diesel Territory - all very profitable vehicles and joining them next
year is the Kuga, Ecosport and Figo, the collective surge of those products should put Ford in front of Holden.

Well played Ford.

Last edited by jpd80; 11-12-2011 at 04:32 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 05:58 AM   #19
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Ford double bluffed Holden with I-6 axing and Focus production, getting them to commit to Cruze and SIDI 3.0,
they thought they had Ford covered then Ford moves Focus to Thailand, revives I-6 and brings Ecoboost.....
Interesting you say "bluffed". The vast amount of negative publicity Ford received after announcing the demise of the I6, which also validated the theories of Falcon's imminent death that you still read in every news article to this day is not what I call a calculated move or "bluff", I'd call it a monumental blunder that did serious damage to the Falcon brand. You will find that many 'average Joes' still think to this day that Ford is axing their Australian built motor and preparing to import a front drive replacement - because as soon as Ford announced the I6's discontinuation the media made sure everyone knew about it.

Last edited by Dave R; 11-12-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
You will find that many 'average Joes' still think to this day that Ford is axing their Australian built motor and preparing to import a front drive replacement - because as soon as Ford announced the I6's discontinuation the media made sure everyone knew about it.
"Average Joes" don't matter to Ford, only prospective new car buyers and at the moment, approximately
75% of Falcon's sales goes to fleets and novated lease buyers - those are the ones being targeted by Ford.

I think FG II will go a long way towards dispelling rumors, you don't spend money on a car about to be axed,
inside the next two months I expect all the nonsense about Falcon's future to be resolved, it has to be and after
that is done, we can get on with selling as many Fords as possible in 2012, plenty of good days ahead.

And yes I say bluffed Holden because that's exactly what they achieved by undoing changes Holden went through with.
When Ford announced they were going with the V6, Holden ran out and made sure Commodore would have a 3.0 V6
to beat the thrifty Ford V6 but with the reversal, Ford was able to plug into the 2.0 Ecoboost - unobtainium to Holden

Funny that GM went before US congress and told them that Holden's viability depended on funding Cruze production
but now Holden is squealing because profitable Commodore sales are waning as Cruze becomes more popular.
Seems like half of Elizabeth's production is now taken up with a car that could be built elsewhere for more profit.

Last edited by jpd80; 11-12-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
Falcman0o7
Banned

Typical journo tool. Another year 7 graduate from HOUSOS.

It wouldn't matter if the falcon had a 9 litre V12 with economy of 2 litres per 100k. And why the commodore has a chrome lion stuck to it it will continue to sell well regardless of its appearence and feul economy, Also with journos like that it's just adding to falcon DOOM AND GLOOM!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #22
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
"Average Joes" don't matter to Ford, only prospective new car buyers and at the moment, approximately
75% of Falcon's sales goes to fleets and novated lease buyers - those are the ones being targeted by Ford.

I think FG II will go a long way towards dispelling rumors, you don't spend money on a car about to be axed,
inside the next two months I expect all the nonsense about Falcon's future to be resolved, it has to be and after
that is done, we can get on with selling as many Fords as possible in 2012, plenty of good days ahead.

And yes I say bluffed Holden because that's exactly what they achieved by undoing changes Holden went through with.
When Ford announced they were going with the V6, Holden ran out and made sure Commodore would have a 3.0 V6
to beat the thrifty Ford V6 but with the reversal, Ford was able to plug into the 2.0 Ecoboost - unobtainium to Holden

Funny that GM went before US congress and told them that Holden's viability depended on funding Cruze production
but now Holden is squealing because profitable Commodore sales are waning as Cruze becomes more popular.
Seems like half of Elizabeth's production is now taken up with a car that could be built elsewhere for more profit.
As much as we'd all like FGII to do that, I think it's wishful thinking. As long as every second news report speculates on Falcon's 'doomed' future, the perception isn't going to change. In fact as we edge closer to 2013-15 I only expect the media speculation to grow stronger. I wouldn't be surprised if certain FGII reviews read something along the lines of "Last flight of the Falcon" and I'm referring to the usual suspects like Carsguide and Drive.

I also believe that Holden were going down the 3.0 route regardless of what Ford announced at the time. Holden have their own sales concerns and fuel efficiency is key - that's why they threw the gutless 3.0 at the Commodore. Ford's V6 was never going to be a turning point in the fuel economy battle. In fact, it seems Falcon isn't even Commodore's number one rival anymore; Holden are trying to fight off the smaller (read: fuel miser) segments in their continuing sales domination quest, so fitting the 3.0 needed to happen regardless of what Ford had planned. And I agree local production of the Cruze was purely a copy-cat move by GM, although the viability argument may have been long term; GM have obviously realised that Holden's Australian manufacturing cannot get by in the future solely on building large cars for a market that is quickly evaporating. Cruze production has made Holden's local manufacturing much more viable for the future. I thought for a while that perhaps large car sales had leveled off, then last month Commodore sales went below 3000 and Falcon dropped out of the top 10 which is quite worrying for the segment. So they might whinge about smaller margins right now, but in the end it might just save them.

At the end of the day no matter how good EcoBoost is, I still expect the majority of reviews to speculate on Falcon's doomed future, "too little too late" and the usual nonsense. Ford absolutely have the best technical arsenal behind them right now with EcoLPI, EcoBoost and the I6. But going into 2012 I don't expect a whole lot to change, unfortunately.. particularly with articles like the one above continuing to rag on Falcon's future rather than appreciate the product we have right now.

Last edited by Dave R; 11-12-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
As much as we'd all like FGII to do that, I think it's wishful thinking. As long as every second news report speculates on Falcon's 'doomed' future, the perception isn't going to change. In fact as we edge closer to 2013-15 I only expect the media speculation to grow stronger. I wouldn't be surprised if certain FGII reviews read something along the lines of "Last flight of the Falcon" and I'm referring to the usual suspects like Carsguide and Drive.
Without saying too much, I have a feeling that the media is about to do a 180 on Ford big time...

The important point is that Holden and Ford now have two completely different business models,
Holden is volume centric while Ford is more price centric with volume less so and with more great
products coming to fill gaps in strategic segments, the emphasis on Falcon doing everything will be lessened.

Last edited by jpd80; 11-12-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
There won't be many present buyers of this car that have heard of the starfire commodore let alone experienced it. Id never heard if it till I jumped on here.

It's a bit rich to drag up a competitors vehicle from 30 yrs ago as a comparison.
Unfortunately, many buyers of this car will have at least heard of the Starfire Four Commodore...I'm surprised you haven't. It was a horror story that cost Holden a lot of money. We owned one, a VC SL sedan...2 liter Starfire Four (Holden red motor with two cylinders whacked off), and the Traumatic auto. It was a roomy, comfortable car, with good road manners and handling, and was quiet on the road...but sloooow. It could easily be outrun by a two liter Cortina, with only 60kw, and weighed a bit over the 1300kg mark. They were available with air con, ours didn't have it, but given the way old air cons could be felt to sap engine power when they kicked in, especially on a four, I often wondered how slow a Commodore Four with air con would be. You could honestly call it a "car whose time hadn't come"...it was an admirable idea as a concept, but four cylinders of the day were only down around the 50 to 70kw area of power...nowadays that would be seen as pitiful, back then it was normal. Today we have cars like the coming FT86 from Toyota that puts out 147kw or 200hp from an NA motor, and people complain it "lacks power". Times have certainly changed.

I'm only 46 years old, and would be "one of the potential buyers" of the Ecoboost Falcon...anyone of my age or maybe even younger would know of the Commodore Four, and couldn't help but have it in the back of thier minds when test driving the Falcon with the four.
It's similar to the Holden dealer we visited when looking a new cars, who, when I brought up the small V6, asked if we'd driven the 3 liter V6. I said I had, as rental cars where I worked, and was pleasantly surprised with the power. He said that if people didn't actually ask about the engine size, he would sometimes chuck them the keys and say take it for a drive and let me know what you think, and they would usually be surprised when he said it was "only" a 3 liter, which changed thier idea about how "big" a motor really has to be nowadays.
Ford should adopt this with people as well...they're doing it somewhat by not actually calling it a Falcon Four, or putting the capacity on it anywhere.

Quote:
That is in part due to product rationalisation and the also fact the six-cylinder can't meet the Euro V emissions standards that will come in to force from 2016.
This is simply facing reality...Holden came across it when the venerable red motor died and had to be replaced with the Nissan six, as it would have cost too much to re-engineer an old engine to meet new standards...in that case unleaded fuel. I've got a feeling of deja-vu when I see the current wailing and nashing of teeth about the possible demise of the Ford straight six, pretty much the same that went on when Holden axed the old red motor.
The Falcon straight six has had it's day...it's a good motor, but how much longer do you pour money into an old design when there are plenty more efficient, powerful, and compact configurations out there that already easily meet all coming Euro emissions requirements?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Elephant in the room..Mondeo v Falcon Ecoboost. The Mondeo Ecoboost has less power but still acceptable. When you compare what you get for the money, the Mondeo wins hands down. Is the Mondeo going to be the elephant in the room ???
Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Elephant in the room..Mondeo v Falcon Ecoboost. The Mondeo Ecoboost has less power but still acceptable. When you compare what you get for the money, the Mondeo wins hands down. Is the Mondeo going to be the elephant in the room ???
I remember Robert Graziano being asked that question, I recall he wasn't too concerned
so if the Ford CEO isn't really that concerned, I don't think that we the fans should be....
Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #27
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Without saying too much, I have a feeling that the media is about to do a 180 on Ford big time...

The important point is that Holden and Ford now have two completely different business models,
Holden is volume centric while Ford is more price centric with volume less so and with more great
products coming to fill gaps in strategic segments, the emphasis on Falcon doing everything will be lessened.
While it's easy to pass off such comments as wishful Ford fan optimism I actually agree with you. In the next year or two Ford will have as full a product line as ever which gets a lot closer to Toyota. Toyota doesn't necessarily have the best seller in every category but it does have a presence in all categories which adds up to it's overall market domination. While Falcon future is being worked on the next series of releases (less wagon and XR8) give it a great market offering and I think the ecoboost 4 could even nullify the need for a diesel based on the power delivery of this over a diesel. The small Fords need greater supply volumes and should see growth. Kuga is coming as is a wagon based on Ranger. A new ford sitting below Fiesta is also coming. Transit needs some tweaking and Transit Connect is needed big time based on VW Caddy sales which aren't big but sells for a premium. And Terry diesel is showing what a huge mistake it was to go I6T during Gorman's rein..but anyway... Ford doesn't need a best seller in every category but the fact it is increasing it's presence with top or neartop of class vehicles in a wider range should see it's overall market share grow and profits, which is all the parent really wants.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #28
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
The "worry and doom and gloom" shown by journos (and some of out distinguished members here) that Ford are facing oblivion is self perpetuated and most likely doesn't exist within Ford.
I think you just went to the opposite end of the spectrum to what I would call "wild and unrealistic optimism".

If Ford executives aren't worried about Falcons current sales performance, then I would suggest the company has bigger problems in Australia then Falcon.

My take is Falcon is an aging platform that isn't connecting with the public for a variety of reasons and is struggling. Media attention isn't helping, but the challenges for the platform and yes, the brand would still be there.

That said Ford are giving Falcon as good a shot at success as you could ask and now its up to the public and fleets to decide if the FG will gain any sales during its model cycle.

As for Falcons future, I would be very surprised if that hasn't already been decided behind closed doors. At this point its a matter of timing and when its appropriate to announce what is happening. They don't owe us an explanation about Falcon, its a marketing call at this point.

I also think Falcon and that size of car is becoming less relevant to Ford Australia anyway. With a good range of imported Fords to choose from, I would think Ford will be changing their emphasis and marketing to more of an importer businesses.

Its cheaper and even if Ford slip permanently out of the top three or five brands in Australia, which I think is likely, they will still make money on something that they didn't have to fund locally to develop. If people don't like a particular car, then fine, just don't import so much next quarter and blame supplies or something if anyone in the media asks.

The hope for local manufacturing is not sales, but the level of government assistance and whether Ford US values the engineering expertise out here enough, that they want to leave local production to help foster and maintain that engineering expertise.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 11-12-2011 at 11:40 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #29
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Ford below Fiesta?? KA coming ? or the Indian WQ Fiesta???http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Ka
Old 11-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A big issue with Transit was the lack of an auto with the I-4 and I-5 diesels,
that seems to have been remedied by Ranger sharing power trains and the USA
replacing its E Series vans with Transit as of 2013.

Also, did anyone notice that last month Ford actually increased sales over last November
even though Falcon sedan sales were low, Territory and the imports really came on song...
That's no fluke, it's has happened earlier this year too, maybe there's a message in that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
New Ford below Fiesta?? KA coming ? or the Indian WQ Fiesta???http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Ka
Figo will be on sale in Australia next year, has been announced by Ford.

Last edited by jpd80; 11-12-2011 at 11:58 AM.