Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-12-2023, 12:23 PM   #2521
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is it.................?

....that road workers put "rough surface" warning signs 1 metre in front of a huge pot holes on a 100km/h freeway?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2023, 02:59 PM   #2522
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
....that road workers put "rough surface" warning signs 1 metre in front of a huge pot holes on a 100km/h freeway?
At least you're getting road workers to sort them, be thankful
five 7 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-12-2023, 03:03 PM   #2523
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Maybe a warning sign that says "Brace Yourself" would be better.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2023, 08:36 PM   #2524
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 out of every 4 caravans is painted/covered in black. FFS
same goes with house roofs, why? just why? who has shares in power companies.
Old 21-12-2023, 08:10 AM   #2525
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Pulled by black utes, parked on black driveways.

Old 21-12-2023, 09:40 AM   #2526
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Why should it concern the owner? They just rock up to the caravan park, plug their lead in to the electricity supply and turn the a/c (said with a yankee accent to emphasise it) on. Doesn't cost them anything

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2023, 12:14 PM   #2527
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
plug their lead in to the electricity supply and turn the a/c (said with a yankee accent to emphasise it) on.
You want full hook up or partial.

Old 24-12-2023, 01:37 PM   #2528
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Why is it technology is always braking down, being updated, getting hacked or just cant be accessed when you need it, everything else that's now going online is making it worse, you need 30 different passwords that you cant remember, different usernames or numbers, that still can be hacked or compromised, then you get to work and have another 15 different accounts to deal with.

I still cant change the password on my DOT direct account, I have rang them twice and they assured me the website is fine and to keep trying, its not.

I keep getting
Quote:
Sorry, we cannot set your new password due to a technical problem. Please retry later or contact Driver and Vehicle Services on 13 11 56 between 7:00 am and 6:00 pm Monday to Friday.
I give up.

I used to have 1 password that covered everything, it was an encrypted style password, now I have to use a uppercase, lowercase, a symbol, a number and 2 factor authentication WTF?

There must be a simpler way?
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2023, 02:06 PM   #2529
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Why should it concern the owner? They just rock up to the caravan park, plug their lead in to the electricity supply and turn the a/c (said with a yankee accent to emphasise it) on. Doesn't cost them anything
The last time I was up in QLD it appeared some caravan parks were starting to charge metered power supply on top of your regular site charge, it may concern a few caravan owners with excess charges for their stay.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2023, 02:08 PM   #2530
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Why is it technology is always braking down, being updated, getting hacked or just cant be accessed when you need it, everything else that's now going online is making it worse, you need 30 different passwords that you cant remember, different usernames or numbers, that still can be hacked or compromised, then you get to work and have another 15 different accounts to deal with.

I still cant change the password on my DOT direct account, I have rang them twice and they assured me the website is fine and to keep trying, its not.

I keep getting

I give up.

I used to have 1 password that covered everything, it was an encrypted style password, now I have to use a uppercase, lowercase, a symbol, a number and 2 factor authentication WTF?

Have a search for an encrypted password safe App/Program, you can store as many passwords safely and call on it any time if you forgot a password.
Old 24-12-2023, 03:18 PM   #2531
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
The last time I was up in QLD it appeared some caravan parks were starting to charge metered power supply on top of your regular site charge, it may concern a few caravan owners with excess charges for their stay.
Usually the management look to see if there's 2 inlet plug, meaning the caravan can take 30 amps so they ask what they be using and charge accordingly so regular 15amp RV's aren't subsidizing their stay.

The US went this way some years ago, hence my comment, they ask if you require partial 110V or 250v hook up.
Worst still is this new insurance scheme's in the US only accepting RV's of a certain size, price and age.
It won't be long before our good old Aussie family park won't accept the average caravan or ask to see full comprehensive insurance papers before being allowed in just like most marina's here do with yachts now.

Last edited by roKWiz; 24-12-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Old 25-12-2023, 01:01 AM   #2532
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post

I keep getting

I give up.

I believe it all started after the Patriot Act. Before then the internet was a better place.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2023, 03:57 PM   #2533
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

…That nobody has called their up-and-coming band “Police Sniffer Dogs”?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2023, 04:17 PM   #2534
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Usually the management look to see if there's 2 inlet plug, meaning the caravan can take 30 amps so they ask what they be using and charge accordingly so regular 15amp RV's aren't subsidizing their stay.

The US went this way some years ago, hence my comment, they ask if you require partial 110V or 250v hook up.
Worst still is this new insurance scheme's in the US only accepting RV's of a certain size, price and age.
It won't be long before our good old Aussie family park won't accept the average caravan or ask to see full comprehensive insurance papers before being allowed in just like most marina's here do with yachts now.
Never seen a caravan with 2 power inlets, not saying there could be some, but I do know the last time I was up at QLD I came across numerous caravan parks that were metering power usage and charging, this was pre covid days, so God forbid what is happening now.
I suppose I will find out next year when I do my last big trip up there.

PS, as for caravan insurance acceptance I doubt you will see that unless the big name brands adopt that, what I have noticed lately is the price of sites and cabins going through the roof during peak holiday times.
Old 31-12-2023, 04:41 PM   #2535
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Never seen a caravan with 2 power inlets, not saying there could be some, but I do know the last time I was up at QLD I came across numerous caravan parks that were metering power usage and charging, this was pre covid days, so God forbid what is happening now.
I suppose I will find out next year when I do my last big trip up there.

PS, as for caravan insurance acceptance I doubt you will see that unless the big name brands adopt that, what I have noticed lately is the price of sites and cabins going through the roof during peak holiday times.
You'll find the cartels moving in, like Big4 and the likes taking over smaller parks. Smaller parks without resort facilities are gradually being forced out as they can not compete, considering their land rates keep climbing.

Plenty of larger vans I see have 2 x 15amp inlets. Lots of proper full timers have them.
1 x 15amps will barely run the lights, smart TV, electric kettle, oven and one AC at once and the parks know this. Something most older parks can barely cope with.

Besides costly infrastructure they couldn't initially set up metered site in Vic and NSW as it was illegal for a park to re sell electricity but since the laws have changed regarding permanent residency and annual sites. This will become common.
I like the user pays system.
Stops jackasses arriving, going back out and leaving stuff like AC going full on.

Insurance wise. so you think it will never happen, yeah that what all the yachties thought too.
Too many amateurs getting behind the wheel (helm) and causing damage to other peoples property.
Most caravan parks already have dog or pet policies so enforcing compulsory insurance would be quite easy. It's widely used in the US and we like to follow their trend with litigation.

Last edited by roKWiz; 31-12-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:36 PM   #2536
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Australia post received the parcel at 3:36pm on the 23rd, 10AM on the 30th, it is STILL in Tullamarine where it hasnt moved since early on the 27th

So much for express post. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Not sure if the pre-xmas rush was to blame or some other factor, but thought I'd post my recent aus post parcel experience.

Placed an order with a Sydney based retailer late Tuesday arvo. Received an email wed at 2:44pm to say the parcel had been received. It was then processed at south Sydney at 7:09pm and then in transit to melb at 7:11pm. It was received at melb at 2:04am on Thursday, then processed at 3:47am and in transit to gippsland at 3:54am. It was received at morwell at 2:53am today and then delivered to me this morning.

Pretty good service there!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2024, 03:50 PM   #2537
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My last parcel (due 27 Dec - 29 Jan) arrived on Wednesday.
On Thursday I received an email telling me my parcel was due today.
2 hours later, a 2nd email received telling me my parcel had just been delivered.

Outstanding service, 24hours ahead of delivery emails.
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2024, 04:34 PM   #2538
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
My last parcel (due 27 Dec - 29 Jan) arrived on Wednesday.
On Thursday I received an email telling me my parcel was due today.
2 hours later, a 2nd email received telling me my parcel had just been delivered.

Outstanding service, 24hours ahead of delivery emails.
Had pretty similar.Posted Wed 27th Dec 9.45 am.Canberra. Arrived Tas.Tues 2nd 10.30am.Have to say vast improvement on the past when a full working week was considered fast
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2024, 11:36 PM   #2539
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Still the same slow parcel service here in old Wait Awhile
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2024, 11:38 PM   #2540
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

…Trucks driving two up are allowed to have the resting driver in a suitably restrained bed/bunk, but there’s no provision for equivalent restrained sleeping in a camper van?
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2024, 07:30 AM   #2541
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
…Trucks driving two up are allowed to have the resting driver in a suitably restrained bed/bunk, but there’s no provision for equivalent restrained sleeping in a camper van?
That's easy.
Trucks are allowed to move down the road while one driver sleeps, (in line with fatigue management)
campers, MH's, it is illegal to drive without all the occupants seated in seat belted seats.
By law you can not drive down the road with anyone sleeping in a bed within.

Old 10-01-2024, 07:47 AM   #2542
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, I know the issue of current legality - but wondering why that can’t be changed so that at least one berth in a camper could be fitted with similar restraints to a truck sleeper.
Old 10-01-2024, 08:19 AM   #2543
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Yes, I know the issue of current legality - but wondering why that can’t be changed so that at least one berth in a camper could be fitted with similar restraints to a truck sleeper.
I guess they look at it like, while holidaying in a camper, there is no essential need to be driving while passengers sleep in a bunk. (tourist)
Where as commercially they are required to be able to make a destination by a given time. (professional drivers.)

Might have something to do with all seating positions needing to be facing forward and placed at the front of the vehicle ADR 44 00. Something which would be impossible to achieve in any MH.

Unless maybe a Hymer.

Old 10-01-2024, 11:28 PM   #2544
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it some vegans eat fake meat products which mimic the look of "murdered animals"?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 10-01-2024, 11:35 PM   #2545
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Vegetarians do it, too. As a vegetarian of 35-odd years I’m happy with chips, a Greek salad, falafel… Plenty of delicious Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food without meat. Don’t need fake bacon or pseudo-pies.
Old 10-01-2024, 11:46 PM   #2546
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it you cook bacon but bake cookies?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 10-01-2024, 11:49 PM   #2547
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it The Invisible Man closes his eyes to sleep when he can see straight through his eyelids!

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2024, 07:37 PM   #2548
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it most of the people in Melbourne today protesting against Australia day are Caucasian? If you believe 26th of January is invasion day then do the right thing and leave this continent, permanently!

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
3 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2024, 07:57 PM   #2549
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it that so much publicity is given to these demonstrations, and not to the 'feel good' part of being in Australia, the best and most peaceful country in the world.

I shall now await the outraged comments from those who disagree, 'cos they can.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2024, 08:12 PM   #2550
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Why is it most of the people in Melbourne today protesting against Australia day are Caucasian? If you believe 26th of January is invasion day then do the right thing and leave this continent, permanently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra
Why is it that so much publicity is given to these demonstrations, and not to the 'feel good' part of being in Australia, the best and most peaceful country in the world.

I shall now await the outraged comments from those who disagree, 'cos they can.
I don't take notice of the protesters that much but what I do like about Australia day is the new Australians eagerly pledging their oath to their new country with pride, maybe the other rabble should take heed of this.
5 users like this post: