Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
paddle

Default "Ticky" Lifters in 98 AU

The "TICK" "TICK" "TICK" coming from my I6 is driving me around the twist,I have been told that is is a crook lifter,now are these easy to replace by a nuff nuff like me who knows nuthin?
I know how to get the rocker cover off and thats it,would someone be nice enough to do a step by step write up/guide with some nice clear pics on replacing these or point we in the right direction as Im sure that I am not the only one with this annoying problem,I have tried many brands of oil but nothing seems to work.

paddle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Injecter pulse mayb?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how long has it been since you changed the oil? also when does it do it? all the time or just when it's cold?

if it's due for an oil change, run some nulon oil flush through it, then when you put the new oil in add a bottle of nulon lifter free and tune up, you can get both of these from repco, supercheap, etc...i had that similar problem with an ea i had, it did it really badly when cold, ran that stuff through it and it practically stopped
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
I have been told that is is a crook lifter
by who? random fella or qualified mechanic?

I know mine has a slight injector pulse. nothing to worry about.
Old 18-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
paddle

happens between 1500rpm and 2ish especially when taking foor of accelerator,I do my oil every 5thou with filter,I have had it looked at by a local mechanic and he says lifter,just need to know how to replace them,take rocker cover off then what?
Old 18-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
LOWAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddle
happens between 1500rpm and 2ish especially when taking foor of accelerator,I do my oil every 5thou with filter,I have had it looked at by a local mechanic and he says lifter,just need to know how to replace them,take rocker cover off then what?
I had the same thing happen to me but I changed oil viscosity to 10-30 and that has eliminated the problem. I thought thicker would help but it didn't.

What oil are you using at the moment?
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU
What oil are you using at the moment?
Well I have always ran magnatec without a problem,autobarn had a deal on penrite for $20,(15w something "everyday driving") and said it was fine for an Au,so I brought it without really looking,put it in then realised it was mineral,it went black very fast,screwed by 5 thou where the magnatec was clean as the day i put it in,so I drained it,went back to magnatec and within a week the new oil is black,probably from the mineral stuff left in it?,should I dump the magnatec and put something else in? I just put a pureone filter in with the magnatec last week,will that need changing too?
Mechanic said I may as well do all the lifters at once,I was too afraid to ask how much,not cheap I bet!! I want to do them myself but need some guidance,would someone be nice enough to do a sticky on it?
Old 18-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as i said before...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
how long has it been since you changed the oil? also when does it do it? all the time or just when it's cold?

if it's due for an oil change, run some nulon oil flush through it, then when you put the new oil in add a bottle of nulon lifter free and tune up, you can get both of these from repco, supercheap, etc...i had that similar problem with an ea i had, it did it really badly when cold, ran that stuff through it and it practically stopped
flush the oil you have now with the nulon stuff or something similar, put new magnatec and a new filter in, then put some lifter free in and see what happens, it beats pulling the top of the engine apart if you don't have to
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
as i said before...

flush the oil you have now with the nulon stuff or something similar, put new magnatec and a new filter in, then put some lifter free in and see what happens, it beats pulling the top of the engine apart if you don't have to
Can I just use 5 litres of diesel fuel,drop oil,keep filter on,fill with 5 litres of diesel fuel,disconnect leads and crank for a minute then do another oil change?
Old 18-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
fullysick1
more of an alternator

not to sure about the fuel but ive been told that a week before you do a oil change put a few litres of diesel oil in it has better cleaning properties
fullysick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:46 AM   #11
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my I6 99 au lane does the same tack tack tack noise
it has done 120k kays
it does it hot or cold
and usually when you just lightly rev it to like 2000rpm.. and as it comes down the noise is made

it also makes the noise under VERY LIGHT acclerator coasting along at say 10-20kmh in the work carpark..

ill give the lifter free a run and see what happens
i just did my oil change the other day
went from Castrol Edge 5w30 with pureone filter upto magnatec 10w40 with pureone filter just to see if it made a difference but it hasnt .. so will go back down to 5w30 next time
Old 19-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
phildee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
and usually when you just lightly rev it to like 2000rpm.. and as it comes down the noise is made

it also makes the noise under VERY LIGHT acclerator coasting along at say 10-20kmh in the work carpark..
Mine does the same thing as that, also does it slightly when idling when the engine is hot. Oil and filter changed every 5000k's have tried magnatec, nulon synthetic 10x40, penrite HPR10, shell eco 10w30 and yesterday put in Fuchs Titan GTO, still seems to do it no matter what. Have flushed it a couple times with the nulon engine oil flush.

I might try the lifter free up when the oil is getting closer to being changed, as it says it works in about 500km
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im going to throw some lifter free in today and let yas know how it goes
Old 19-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #14
paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildee
Mine does the same thing as that, also does it slightly when idling when the engine is hot. Oil and filter changed every 5000k's have tried magnatec, nulon synthetic 10x40, penrite HPR10, shell eco 10w30 and yesterday put in Fuchs Titan GTO, still seems to do it no matter what. Have flushed it a couple times with the nulon engine oil flush.

I might try the lifter free up when the oil is getting closer to being changed, as it says it works in about 500km
EXACT PROBLEM!! You hit the nail on the head,now question is what causes it?
Old 19-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #15
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valve lash adjusters. My ef does it to. In the end of each rocker arm, there is a tiny little hydraulic lifter aka valve lash adjuster. $22 each retail from repco. But there is twelve of them and I've been told that dertermining which one is rooted is near impossible. $22 x 12 = lots
Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #16
paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFXR65spd
Valve lash adjusters. My ef does it to. In the end of each rocker arm, there is a tiny little hydraulic lifter aka valve lash adjuster. $22 each retail from repco. But there is twelve of them and I've been told that dertermining which one is rooted is near impossible. $22 x 12 = lots
So can someone do a write up/how to guide on changing these,seems a common problem with people that I have spoken too
Old 23-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #17
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get the service manual from supercheap or repco etc!! only $30-$40
i reccomend the ellery manuals over haynes n gregorys
Old 23-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #18
peterban
AULTD

I have used the nulon lifter free in my sons EF.
It certainly stopped the ticking within a couple of minutes of adding it to the oil.
It used to tick on start up and was worse when cold.
Now after 5000 km still nice and quiet.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #19
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think its working fine on mine.. will check again tommorow
Old 25-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #20
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep no ticking any more

thank you Nulon Lifter free
Old 25-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #21
phildee

I put some in mine yesterday, with a bit of luck it my lifter noise will go away too
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post