Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #1051
nstg8a

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Depends on the weight penalty... But yeah I bet it's significant.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #1052
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Really goes against the philosophy of the car though doesn't it. They wanted light weight etc, surely chopping the roof and adding a tonne of weight is a serious case of whoring out the original idea.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #1053
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Really goes against the philosophy of the car though doesn't it. They wanted light weight etc, surely chopping the roof and adding a tonne of weight is a serious case of whoring out the original idea.
Maybe it's been designed from the word go to be a convertible as well?

Certainly the mx5 didn't suffer from excessive weight.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #1054
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
the only thing i could think of is that maybe the convertable would be aimed at people that like convertables and are not interested in performance?? even thou thats against the orignal idea. it doesnt make much sense too me
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #1055
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I think Subaru would be more interested in a girly roof then toyota, the BRZ hasn't got near as much profile as the 86, and Subaru already have the Imprezza as their Sports models.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #1056
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I think Subaru would be more interested in a girly roof then toyota, the BRZ hasn't got near as much profile as the 86, and Subaru already have the Imprezza as their Sports models.
I seem to recall the WRX (& STI) being discontinued and the new Impreza platform going all grandma/grandpa specification to save money!!

When (if) the WRX/STI returns, I think there were rumors of it being on a purpose designed platform with a 1.6 litre turbo to meet the new WRC regulations.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #1057
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pity you couldn't engineer one

Old 07-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #1058
Rodge
Banned

Just curious, (apoligies if this is allready stated elsewhere but there's over 1,000 posts so won't go through them all), are they sold out of this car for how long, i.e. how many months is the wait list ?

Edit, just saw post 1025 on the previous page, 2 years wait for a manual and 6-12 months for an auto surely not ???? Anyone else that can confirm that ?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #1059
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Just curious, (apoligies if this is allready stated elsewhere but there's over 1,000 posts so won't go through them all), are they sold out of this car for how long, i.e. how many months is the wait list ?

Edit, just saw post 1025 on the previous page, 2 years wait for a manual and 6-12 months for an auto surely not ???? Anyone else that can confirm that ?
The 86 isn't sold out in NZ Rodge. Subaru have got 12 in an initial shipment which are gone.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #1060
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
I seem to recall the WRX (& STI) being discontinued and the new Impreza platform going all grandma/grandpa specification to save money!!

When (if) the WRX/STI returns, I think there were rumors of it being on a purpose designed platform with a 1.6 litre turbo to meet the new WRC regulations.
Only problem with that is that Subaru are not in WRC, so why would they care about its regulations... They have lost all their racing pedigree
Old 07-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #1061
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge

Also depends on the specification model you want as well.

GT Auto is the least popular and GTS Manual is the most popular.

Current:
Old 07-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #1062
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

WRX/STi hasn't been discontinued it is becoming a model in it's own right seperate to the Impreza.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #1063
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
Only problem with that is that Subaru are not in WRC, so why would they care about its regulations... They have lost all their racing pedigree
What a load of crap

There is more to rallying than WRC.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #1064
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Anybody seen this? Its the BRZ reviewed against the new V6 Mustang. Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3hg...eature=related
Old 07-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #1065
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
The 86 isn't sold out in NZ Rodge. Subaru have got 12 in an initial shipment which are gone.
Interesting. I think they're $41K here but still a lot of car for the money wouldn't you agree ? and I think it makes a lot of other cars here look a bit expensive. I can see them becoming a cult hit pretty quickly in much the same way as the Mazda MX5.

Quote:
Also depends on the specification model you want as well.

GT Auto is the least popular and GTS Manual is the most popular.
Thanks for that.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #1066
zdcol71
zdcol71

I have been reading all the reviews and press I can get my hands on (outside this forum) and I have just read through this thread complete. WOW!!! 36 pages, 26000+ views and over a 1000 opinionons on it on a Ford forum! I guess it's done for a lot of other people what it has done for me,that is, opened up an affordable avenue to be able to enjoy the sheer pleasure of driving a car designed for one reason only....that is ,the sheer pleasure of driving a car! I for one want one and am happy to wait till one becomes available.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #1067
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
One of the reasons for separating the Impreza from WRX/STi is to make it more competitive for WRC. This has been in nearly every article I have read so the intention to re-enter the WRC is there.

It is also expected to reduce costs since the Impreza and WRX use many common parts which have been considered to be over engineered for the base model Impreza's purposes.

Whether that happens or not I do not know but I'd expect perhaps some of what has gone into this 86/BRZ may be used to help develop the car.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #1068
brydie76
Moff-fan

On a side note, my friend was meant to get his 86 yesterday. Massive cam shaft/timing issues from the get go. Has to wait until at least the end of the month to get the part from Japan and obviously cannot drive it in the meantime.

Law of statistics says that it would happen to somebody, but still, pretty annoyed- he was going to take this to the next V8's round and I couldn't wait to see it haha!!!

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #1069
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
WRX/STi hasn't been discontinued it is becoming a model in it's own right seperate to the Impreza.
But it is not currently in production, correct?

Current:
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #1070
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But it is not currently in production, correct?
Not sure, best you ask FHI

The current WRX and STi are still for sale in dealers yards so therefore it hasn't been discontinued, and there is no intent to discontinue it unlike the situation with the XR8.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #1071
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to laugh at this. BRZ for sale $63990 :

Buy direct from a Subaru dealer.This is the only one in Australia for immediate delivery,be quick because lifes too short.New car warranty,great finance deals available.

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/deta...k&sort=default
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #1072
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I had to laugh at this. BRZ for sale $63990 :

Buy direct from a Subaru dealer.This is the only one in Australia for immediate delivery,be quick because lifes too short.New car warranty,great finance deals available.

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/deta...k&sort=default
What is funny?

You want one, this is how much it costs. To a lot of people $63k is a weeks holiday.

No sillier than people paying $5k for a PS3 or $500,000 for a GTHO.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #1073
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What is funny?

You want one, this is how much it costs. To a lot of people $63k is a weeks holiday.

Or the inflated prices for BF cobras and 40th GT's...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #1074
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What is funny?

I dont think its Funny as much as its disgusting & plain wrong.

The RRP of a vehicle is just that & just because they have not made enough to go around at this time does not mean they can charge what they want

The fact that yourself & some others also think that this sort of thing is ok is wrong also & shows that you must have more $$$$$ than many.

I do think that this Ad is a joke myself however I have seen more than a few ad's for this very vehicle & the 86 alternative which are way above RRP plus onroads & I would never purchase from a dealer who took advantage of a vehicles lack of supply.

My local dealer has no issue with quoting me normal RRP plus normal onroads & there are a few on carsales selling at that price also instead of huge over inflated prices.

And show me anybody who would pay 63k for this car or 5k for a PS3 & I will show you some sort of idiot who is way overpayed & most likely does not even deserve it lol
Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #1075
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
I dont think its Funny as much as its disgusting & plain wrong.

The RRP of a vehicle is just that & just because they have not made enough to go around at this time does not mean they can charge what they want

The fact that yourself & some others also think that this sort of thing is ok is wrong also & shows that you must have more $$$$$ than many.

I do think that this Ad is a joke myself however I have seen more than a few ad's for this very vehicle & the 86 alternative which are way above RRP plus onroads & I would never purchase from a dealer who took advantage of a vehicles lack of supply.

My local dealer has no issue with quoting me normal RRP plus normal onroads & there are a few on carsales selling at that price also instead of huge over inflated prices.

And show me anybody who would pay 63k for this car or 5k for a PS3 & I will show you some sort of idiot who is way overpayed & most likely does not even deserve it lol
Disgusting and wrong?
RRP should be the mandatory price?

Did you pay RRP for your car?
Or did you screw them for the cheapest possible price?

It is ok for you to take financial advantage of others but not for them to do it to you?

Or is that different........
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #1076
stevz
Banned

They will have that BRZ for sale for a very long time because I don't think there is anybody stupid enough to pay that ridiculously overinflated price.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #1077
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Disgusting and wrong?
RRP should be the mandatory price?

Did you pay RRP for your car?
Or did you screw them for the cheapest possible price?

It is ok for you to take financial advantage of others but not for them to do it to you?

Or is that different........
RRP or less lol

I actually paid full Driveaway price plus the cost of extra's on my current Vehicle as it was on a decent offer & did not even push for any throw in's such as window tint for free rather paid for this & other extra's at full dealer price when I know I could have paid less if I went to the window tinter etc..

However in the past I have managed to buy new vehicles for less than they were up front (dont you?) ... this is normal & yes ok as a dealer has a margin built in to allow for this & does not need to make full RRP to make a profit so all is good.

However placing a premium on a vehicle just because it is in short supply is just wrong & is simply greed.

So as far as I am concerned a dealer or seller of anything for that matter should only sell for RRP or below & anything else is wrong.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #1078
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
RRP or less lol

I actually paid full Driveaway price plus the cost of extra's on my current Vehicle as it was on a decent offer & did not even push for any throw in's such as window tint for free rather paid for this & other extra's at full dealer price when I know I could have paid less if I went to the window tinter etc..

However in the past I have managed to buy new vehicles for less than they were up front (dont you?) ... this is normal & yes ok as a dealer has a margin built in to allow for this & does not need to make full RRP to make a profit so all is good.

However placing a premium on a vehicle just because it is in short supply is just wrong & is simply greed.

So as far as I am concerned a dealer or seller of anything for that matter should only sell for RRP or below & anything else is wrong.
I work on a simple system. I pay what I have to.

If that is a higher amount then I pay it because I want the item.

This whole "it should be cheaper" is most common, unsurprisingly, from those whose income is stable as in public servants and other PAYG employees.

Imagine how you would feel if you were presented with:

This week you are getting a 30% pay cut because thats what we can get someone else to do your job for. When there is no one else available to do your job then we will pay you more.

You know, the exact situation that most small business owners and tradies have to put up with every day....

Now think about this. If you lost your job and then someone offered you a new job, doing the same as you do now but at twice the pay........would you say "No thanks, that would wrong and simply greed, I will work for half that money"............
Old 10-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #1079
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I thought this thread was about the FT86?

Valid points though flappy.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #1080
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I work on a simple system. I pay what I have to.

If that is a higher amount then I pay it because I want the item.

This whole "it should be cheaper" is most common, unsurprisingly, from those whose income is stable as in public servants and other PAYG employees.

Imagine how you would feel if you were presented with:

This week you are getting a 30% pay cut because thats what we can get someone else to do your job for. When there is no one else available to do your job then we will pay you more.

You know, the exact situation that most small business owners and tradies have to put up with every day....

Now think about this. If you lost your job and then someone offered you a new job, doing the same as you do now but at twice the pay........would you say "No thanks, that would wrong and simply greed, I will work for half that money"............
I am not even sure how all this talk of wages & pay cuts or indeed being payed twice the amount for the same job relates to dealers putting inflated prices on cars to make extra profit just because there are not many around at this time, will you address the actual point instead of running of on some other point lol

But I will play your game & answer you Flappy lol

If cheap labour was brought in as does happen & I or others were made redundant then yes that would be wrong & it happens to be something I have strong feelings about, at the same time there are plenty of people getting payed huge amounts of money who simply do not deserve it as it matters not who they are or how good they think they are but in fact it is the results they achieve (many strut about telling everyone they are awesome & they are worth more money) when in actual fact they are not but alas some will believe them & so reward them even though they dont deserve it.

And no matter how much money I make I would still say making an extra profit by ripping others off is wrong.

I happen to run my own Business & charge people way below what most others do for the same type of work & thats not because I dont do as good of a job but simply because I see what some others charge as excessive.

I often re-repair jobs from the rip off places because they have not done it properly but still charged way too much for the poor effort.

As for tradies in general I am sure we can all tell you stories of being charged over the top prices for a poor job when others in the same field often do a better job for way less (I am a case in point).

I am not sure what you do however it sounds to me like you are one of the people who strut about & charge too much, thats why you can simply afford to pay whatever the asking price is lol

You have to understand many are not as lucky as you (even many on this very forum) & to them you saying its ok for a dealer to charge 68k for a 29k vehicle is absurd.
Closed Thread