Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #421
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Off topic but I notice the door protection on the wall. It's this just stick on? Looking for options for when the wife gets her new car. Needs to stick to bricks.

I wrapped a central brick pillar with carpet using wall plugs, screws and big washers.
Old 27-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #422
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Off topic but I notice the door protection on the wall. It's this just stick on? Looking for options for when the wife gets her new car. Needs to stick to bricks.

I wrapped a central brick pillar with carpet using wall plugs, screws and big washers.
These have saved my bacon countless times. They are adhesive.

https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/produ...trip-twin-pack
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-03-2021, 09:25 PM   #423
prydey
Rob

This crappy pic doesn't really belong in here but I was pretty happy with the bowdens products. Ended up being a rush job as it was 6pm by the time I'd finished my lawns etc.

The wash suds up substantially more than autoglym with a lot less product.

The wet dream application was all a bit new so I'm sure with more practice that will improve. I believe that doesn't need doing every wash but I might do it again next time after watching the bowdens video again.

Same with the dry off using boss gloss with the big green sucker. I think it was too late in the night to be drying a car but it still ended up pretty good. Will see better in the morning.

Old 28-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #424
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This crappy pic doesn't really belong in here but I was pretty happy with the bowdens products. Ended up being a rush job as it was 6pm by the time I'd finished my lawns etc.

The wash suds up substantially more than autoglym with a lot less product.

The wet dream application was all a bit new so I'm sure with more practice that will improve. I believe that doesn't need doing every wash but I might do it again next time after watching the bowdens video again.

Same with the dry off using boss gloss with the big green sucker. I think it was too late in the night to be drying a car but it still ended up pretty good. Will see better in the morning.

Next time you hose it or it rains you should see a big difference with beading and how the water from the hose reacts on the paint. That will give you an indication if anywhere was missed in the application of wet dreams.

But it looks really good to me
Old 28-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #425
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Next time you hose it or it rains you should see a big difference with beading and how the water from the hose reacts on the paint. That will give you an indication if anywhere was missed in the application of wet dreams.

But it looks really good to me
At 188cm even I struggle to reach the middle of the roof from either side. I was running out of daylight fast and after starting with the roof on 1 side, I decided to skip that on the other side and just do the rest of the car, so only half the roof got done. In theory I should notice that next time i hose the car down I guess.
Old 29-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #426
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
$80 later...

No tyre dressing applicators left so didn't get them. Tempted by the snow cannon but resisted.

Your conforming lol.....
Note the word "tempted"...it does become a drug once you start seeing the benefits using suitable product.
TBH you can live without the snow cannon BUT again all these great offerings is like seeing a good menu, you want it all lol.....funnily unlike looking to spend so much on a menu with the Mrs's for you can only eat so much I end up buying more on the waxit site thankfully she is not sitting near me whilst looking through he waxit menu

One big tip, far more benefit buying larger qty of exterior car wash, lets face it its the main go to product used.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 12:43 PM   #427
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

Your conforming lol.....

Note the word "tempted"...it does become a drug once you start seeing the benefits using suitable product.

TBH you can live without the snow cannon BUT again all these great offerings is like seeing a good menu, you want it all lol.....funnily unlike looking to spend so much on a menu with the Mrs's for you can only eat so much I end up buying more on the waxit site thankfully she is not sitting near me whilst looking through he waxit menu

One big tip, far more benefit buying larger qty of exterior car wash, lets face it its the main go to product used.

15% off store wide Easter sale at Waxit. Yew.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #428
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yep - got the email yesterday lol omg.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #429
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
15% off store wide Easter sale at Waxit. Yew.
Oooohhhh noooooo! Last time Waxit had a 15% off sale, it cost me over $1000!
Mustang GT

Old 29-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #430
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Oooohhhh noooooo! Last time Waxit had a 15% off sale, it cost me over $1000!

Old 29-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #431
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So after I spent all night polishing the Mustang bonnet last night I had paint protection film applied to the front of it today. They scratches the s@$t out of it presumably where they ran their scraper back and forth along the bonnet. Not happy.
The car was also tinted and there’s big bubbles everywhere. Hopefully they clear up. The rear screen looks terrible.
I wish I hadn’t bothered.
Old 29-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #432
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So after I spent all night polishing the Mustang bonnet last night I had paint protection film applied to the front of it today. They scratches the s@$t out of it presumably where they ran their scraper back and forth along the bonnet. Not happy.
The car was also tinted and there’s big bubbles everywhere. Hopefully they clear up. The rear screen looks terrible.
I wish I hadn’t bothered.
Doesn’t tint take a bit of time to settle as such? Shame about the film.
Old 29-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #433
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Doesn’t tint take a bit of time to settle as such? Shame about the film.

Yeah I’ll see how the tint goes. I know the moisture in the tint will clear up but there seems to be some large bubbles or almost creases I’m not sure will.

Detailing cars is a curse. The better you get the more you find wrong with the car. I don’t believe there is such a thing as detailing perfection.
4 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2021, 10:25 PM   #434
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Repco have a 30% off sale on Meguiars till April 6th.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/search/?...ORUDp7_8HOw3I#
Mustang GT

Old 31-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #435
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone mentioned Autobarn have 30% off Bowdens Own gear? I think it ends today.
So I stocked up a little on snow foam, another drop bear, big blue softie, green sucker and some wheel cleaner.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #436
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Scored a jug of Meguiar's Last Touch at 35% off from Repco's Easter sales.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2021, 10:21 PM   #437
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Wow that's some serious tools for some window cleaning

Yeh I've noticed some newspapers have changed, they seem to be a bit more waxy, but some are still ok. I find they give the best results, but you have to give it a final wipe (with newspaper again) after the initial clean. Its the microfibre towels that seems to give smudges or leave marks on there where it becomes visible at night.

Also noticed that windex will leave marks on your dashboard if you don't cover the dash. So now I put a layer of newspaper on the dash before I start cleaning.

I bought a pack of those alcohol based window wipes from one of the auto stores, but they still leave marks or spread the smudge .

Will give stoner a crack.
Just thinking back to this topic, can I ask where the car is parked when you are cleaning your glass?
Mustang GT

Old 13-04-2021, 10:24 PM   #438
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just thinking back to this topic, can I ask where the car is parked when you are cleaning your glass?
Outside.

Today I was just browsing at bunnings during my lunch break. I saw one of those triangular window cleaning thing, except it wasn't described as a window cleaner, it was one of those sabco dusters. I bought it anyway ($6 ) and tried it. The mop like material it came with just spread all the smudge around LOL.

Ended up having to go through the whole windscreen twice with newspaper and windex, to get it crystal clear again. I need to get a bottle of stoner and give it a shot.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2021, 10:31 PM   #439
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Outside.

Today I was just browsing at bunnings during my lunch break. I saw one of those triangular window cleaning thing, except it wasn't described as a window cleaner, it was one of those sabco dusters. I bought it anyway ($6 ) and tried it. The mop like material it came with just spread all the smudge around LOL.

Ended up having to go through the whole windscreen twice with newspaper and windex, to get it crystal clear again. I need to get a bottle of stoner and give it a shot.
So by outside I'm assuming in the sun?

If so, no matter what product or towel you use, streaking will be the result. Warm to hot glass drys the product before it has a chance to clean and then evaporate off. Windex is more prone to this as well.

As I said above, I used to struggle with glass. A large percentage of that struggle was trying to clean glass when it was too hot. Changing that, with an alcohol based cleaner and using two dedicated glass towels transformed my results.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #440
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the Vacuum extension hose working out?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #441
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Is the Vacuum extension hose working out?
As you said, that kit really transform the Vacuum.

The extended hose just makes the job so much easier and keeps the machine away from the car. And I really like the longer crevice tool which makes getting between the seats a simple job.

Thanks for the advice.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #442
prydey
Rob

Caring for your cloths. Probably already been discussed plenty.

My big green sucker doesn't get washed after each use. I normally just hang it on the line to dry before putting it back in its container. Now that I've started using boss gloss with it I probably should get in the habit of cleaning it more regularly? Yes? No?

Do people buy special washing product for microfibre cloths or just use normal washing powder but no fabric softener. Can that be purchased just from the supermarket or do people get the auto specific one like bowdens?

When buying cloths, how do you know which ones are good. I have a big green sucker and a big softie but the name brand ones are quite expensive after a while. If buying generic cloths, how do you know which size 'pile' (if that's the right word) to get for each task you want to use it for?

Sorry for noob questions that have probably been asked a lot already. Wife got her new car last week so want to start off doing my best to keep it looking new. Thought I'd start by having separate cloths for each task. Drying, windows, door jambs, interior etc.
Old 15-04-2021, 06:55 PM   #443
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Caring for your cloths. Probably already been discussed plenty.

My big green sucker doesn't get washed after each use. I normally just hang it on the line to dry before putting it back in its container. Now that I've started using boss gloss with it I probably should get in the habit of cleaning it more regularly? Yes? No?

Do people buy special washing product for microfibre cloths or just use normal washing powder but no fabric softener. Can that be purchased just from the supermarket or do people get the auto specific one like bowdens?

When buying cloths, how do you know which ones are good. I have a big green sucker and a big softie but the name brand ones are quite expensive after a while. If buying generic cloths, how do you know which size 'pile' (if that's the right word) to get for each task you want to use it for?

Sorry for noob questions that have probably been asked a lot already. Wife got her new car last week so want to start off doing my best to keep it looking new. Thought I'd start by having separate cloths for each task. Drying, windows, door jambs, interior etc.
Ideally you would be washing the Big Green Sucker after using a product. If you intend to use supermarket bought detergent, don't use powder and chose a liquid. You don't want any undissolved powder rubbing against your paint.

If you intend to buy some more microfibre, grab a bottle of Bowdens Microfibre Wash to keep them in good condition.
https://www.bowdensown.com.au/produc...icrofibre-wash

The choices in microfibre are endless, frankly confusing and expensive when purchased through the "name brands". If you give me a bit and I'll put together something to get you started.
Mustang GT

Old 15-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #444
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The choices in microfibre are endless, frankly confusing and expensive when purchased through the "name brands". If you give me a bit and I'll put together something to get you started.
Agree, and thanks, much appreciated.

I get buckets easy enough from work (after thoroughly cleaning the ink out) so I've already gone from a 2 bucket method to 3 buckets, with a wash, rinse and now wheels bucket. Might need a 4th for the cloths as I finish using them, then chuck them all in the wash.
Old 15-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #445
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
If you give me a bit and I'll put together something to get you started.
Here are a couple to get you started. I'm assuming you have your drying towel sorted so have not included an example here. It's also important to note that GSM doesn't always determine the quality of the towel, a low (but still high quality) GSM towel can be more desirable for certain tasks.

Also, buying towels online from the linked companies means not paying for packaging and fancy labels that are common from the likes of Bowdens, Meguiars ect, so per unit prices are much more economical.

I love these Rag Company "Creature" towels. They are a dual sided towel that make them versatile, one side is plush, the other side has a shorter pile. Get a couple in each colour and assign them to different tasks. For example, Black for wheels, Green for interior, Blue for drying and Grey for wax/polishing. Two of each colour would set you back about $40 and you would have yourself a very high quality set of towels.
https://carcareco.com.au/product/the...rofiber-towel/

The Rag Company “Car Wash” towels are cheap but still excellent quality. I use these for interior cleaning but again, get a couple of colours and assign them to tasks.
https://carcareco.com.au/product/the...l-41cm-x-69cm/

These "Dry Me A River" are excellent glass towels. Get two, one for the initial wipe, one for follow up wipe.
https://carcareco.com.au/product/the...l-40cm-x-60cm/

Another way to go would be to get a sample pack of towels, try them out and see what you like. You could then start to buy more once you find a favorite, preferred GSM or weave.

This one from Waxit gives you variety of towel types and is excellent value.
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...ch-sample-pack

This one from Detailing Shed is expensive but sets you up very well! If nothing else, it gives you an idea on what sort of towels are considered "essential".
https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...ntials-package

This doesn't even scratch the surface of microfibre but hopefully gets you on the right track. If it were me, I would be getting a selection of the "Creature" towels, mainly because they are so versatile.
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2021, 08:11 PM   #446
prydey
Rob

Quote:

This doesn't even scratch the surface of microfibre but hopefully gets you on the right track. If it were me, I would be getting a selection of the "Creature" towels, mainly because they are so versatile.
Thanks a lot.

I'm get some of those ones. I guess the thickness (pile) is just personal preference or do some products work better with less or more plush towels?

Care instructions just say use a mild liquid detergent so that's pretty simple.
Old 15-04-2021, 08:41 PM   #447
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just going back to the vacuum, I also find it handy if the car is fairly clean, it gives you enough reach to sit in one seat and quickly do the floor on the other side ect.
Would also be handy if you had a people mover or larger suv also to cover large areas without having to move the vacuum around.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2021, 09:59 PM   #448
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put in some led “fluros” in the garage to help with detailing.

I’m also in the market for a vacuum. I have enough points at work to get a Cartier watch so might get the Karcher wd6 to match my K7 washer. I’d then add the car kit to it.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #449
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

I put in some led “fluros” in the garage to help with detailing.

I’m also in the market for a vacuum. I have enough points at work to get a Cartier watch so might get the Karcher wd6 to match my K7 washer. I’d then add the car kit to it.
Wow, you have really been infected by the "disease".

At least this disease has a treatment, there is always something else to buy.............
Mustang GT

Old 19-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #450
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

And on the note of something else............

Mustang GT