Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2022, 03:07 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default BMW rolls out heated seat, steering wheel subscriptions

Quote:
BMW rolls out heated seat, steering wheel subscriptions – UPDATE: Not in Australia yet

BMW will now sell you the heated seats in your car as a monthly subscription, for a little more than a high-resolution Stan or Netflix subscription.

12 July 2022, 1:30pm: BMW has begun offering heated seats and in-built dash cams as subscription services – much like your monthly subscription to Stan, Netflix or Spotify.

Seen in overseas markets including South Korea, BMW's ConnectedDrive online store now offers the ability to purchase heated front seats, a heated steering wheel or an in-built dash cam as monthly subscriptions.

UPDATE, 12 July 2022, 4:15pm: Since publishing, Drive has been advised the BMW heated seat and steering wheel subscriptions are not currently available in Australia, and the listings on the Australian ConnectedDrive store are not correct. This story has been updated accordingly.

"We are constantly evolving our digital offering for our customers, but we have no plans to introduce these features [heated seats and steering wheel subscriptions] at this time," a BMW Australia spokesperson said in a statement to Drive.

The BMW Drive Recorder and automatic high-beam features – among others – were already available in Australia, and will continue to be offered.

Drive understands future BMW models launching in Australia over the coming 12 months may unlock the heated front seat and steering wheel functionality listed on the ConnectedDrive store, though this is yet to be confirmed.

Provided their vehicle is equipped with the required technical hardware, the ConnectedDrive store says buyers could spend $19 per month on a heated steering wheel or the BMW Drive Recorder dash cam, or $29 for heated seats. These prices are yet to be announced by BMW Australia.
https://www.drive.com.au/news/bmw-au...ions-detailed/

Its starting gents and non gents, it wouldn't be too long before the IT industry influenced the grubby bean counters in automotive with their practices - cars come with features like dash cams, heated seats et al but are locked away under software subscriptions with monthly/yearly fees to be able to use them.

I think we're seeing the future of automotive unravel here, even though you buy the car it is still not yours to use it how you wish without paying extra fees to access features.

Its not happening here in Australia - yet.

I suspect we won;t have trim levels anymore, just one model which has all the hardware but monthly subscription fees to access the features what you'd usually pay more for in a higher spec car.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 03:17 PM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: BMW rolls out heated seat, steering wheel subscriptions

I find this just such a crazy and stupid idea. You get the fuel bill for lugging the equipment around but can’t use it without coughing up.

It does not line up to how other subscription services work.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 03:32 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
I find this just such a crazy and stupid idea. You get the fuel bill for lugging the equipment around but can’t use it without coughing up.

It does not line up to how other subscription services work.
I suspect whats going to happen is you buy your car, but if you don't pay anything for the subscription fees, you end up with a nice new car with all the features of an XY Falcon, so it starts, drives, runs, stops, goes around corners, has lights, indicators and brake lights but thats it
Old 14-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

If all my family buy BMWs can we share the subscriptions to save money
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

On the face of it a single item subscription isn't too bad for the lifetime of the vehicle when you consider how much these companies charge for the option outright anyway. Adding to this, leasing companies can save some $$.
However, that is where the pros end.

• There is no way BMW and other car makers will charge less for the base car
  • This seems very shady, especially considering the h/w is already in the car and it is only s/w locked, so it isn't saving car makers money, they will have to add the hardware into the cars. Nothing a "jailbreak" won't solve anyway
  • More car companies are getting on board with this. Stellantis are looking at this for their range of cars starting with Jeep. Toyota have started as well (though stopped short of retrospectively applying the remote start subscription)
  • Subscription for cars is useless, there is no benefit to the owner/user. Unlike the IT software subscriptions, there is no ongoing upgrade for heated seats or steering wheels.
Old 14-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #6
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to admit Franco the M550i I have is the best car I've owned to date, bar none. A M5 was on the cards but the missus said I'd have to wait until next year.

I like the subscription service, you can opt in/out of the items you do or don't need. I don't need heated seats or steering wheel, it doesn't get cold enough in Perth. I do have the BMW Drive recorder subscription, the auto high beam function is standard on the M550i.
Old 14-07-2022, 04:29 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Imagine buying a luxury vehicle, and then having to pay to use features that come standard in vehicles costing half the price. What an absolute con.

Anyone who pays for this is an absolute sucker.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #8
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I suspect whats going to happen is you buy your car, but if you don't pay anything for the subscription fees, you end up with a nice new car with all the features of an XY Falcon, so it starts, drives, runs, stops, goes around corners, has lights, indicators and brake lights but thats it
Except for the nice car bit isn't that what's called a Tesla pos.
ozrunner is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #9
Blue_XR

If all automotive brands go down this route then maybe some very clever people will learn how to unlock all the features for a one off price.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 04:38 PM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I was wondering why my trucks left door window winder wouldn't work.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 05:05 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

It's going to make buying a second hand car more interesting.

What do you get with the purchase? and what will stop working when you drive it away
Old 14-07-2022, 05:20 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_XR View Post
If all automotive brands go down this route then maybe some very clever people will learn how to unlock all the features for a one off price.
Lets all chip in $50 and let JasonACT at it,
5 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 06:10 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_XR View Post
Then they'd figure a way to void ya warranty then no doubt.

I think blinkers are already a subscription on BMW's that not many owners have signed up for from what ive read
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 06:40 PM   #14
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing like paying top dollar for a luxury car to have to pay monthly for some of the features that my wives $65k Kia Sorento has Standard, and for free...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Nothing like paying top dollar for a luxury car to have to pay monthly for some of the features that my wives $65k Kia Sorento has Standard, and for free...
For now....

You wait, one does it, all will start doing it
4 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 07:26 PM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If it takes the entry price notably down, I think it will be a runaway success. As an aspirational marque, this will allow people to show off theirs for less coin.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 08:13 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
If it takes the entry price notably down, I think it will be a runaway success. As an aspirational marque, this will allow people to show off theirs for less coin.
Nah they'll just try get two bites of the pie - ridiculously priced car + subscription fees on top, I guarantee it
8 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 09:42 PM   #18
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 10:18 PM   #19
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Some here will recall the days when buying a new car you'd haggle with the sales guy for free floor mats weather shields etc remember ?
Now we know what happened onwards, all extras cost X and X and X.....
Metallic paint was a $3k extra for MB's long ago.
This is no diff - the OE how can I reduce my cost but add to the extras menu where once was absorbed in the price, now lets gouge it better.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 11:10 PM   #20
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Say no to everything, apply a hack aftermarket.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 12:49 AM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Say no to everything, apply a hack aftermarket.
Automotive industry wants to play IT industry shennanigans, I reckon they don't have the security in place that the IT industry does with its systems.

There's a reason everyone finds a way how to tune cars.

We've seen what JasonACT can do with an FG2 ICC, lets see what else he can find with a bit more motivation to right some wrongs
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 01:43 AM   #22
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

If you need to subscribe to heated seats in your new BMW surely it'll be a pov pack model thing? I've used the subscription service on my current 2022 BMW to activate the drive recorder (dash cam with front/rear/side views, not bad really) and that's it, there wasn't much else available to 'purchase' outside of service plans but perhaps that will change as they start digitally decontenting them. No way I'd be subscribing to heated seats etc on any prestige car period, seems like something more appropriate for budget makes not 'the ultimate driving machine' as they claim.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 11:46 AM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
As if they will reduce the RRP. They will still charge the same price, yet you'll get less.

It really is damaging for their brand that they are resorting to this, when considerably cheaper mainstream brands include stuff like this as standard.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 12:49 PM   #24
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
If you need to subscribe to heated seats in your new BMW surely it'll be a pov pack model thing? I've used the subscription service on my current 2022 BMW to activate the drive recorder (dash cam with front/rear/side views, not bad really) and that's it, there wasn't much else available to 'purchase' outside of service plans but perhaps that will change as they start digitally decontenting them. No way I'd be subscribing to heated seats etc on any prestige car period, seems like something more appropriate for budget makes not 'the ultimate driving machine' as they claim.
Correct. Probably base spec vehicles like the 1, 2, 3 and X1, X3 series.

The premium spec vehicles come with heated seats and steering wheel (when optioned from new) standard.

Someone compared a Kia to a BMW. What a clown show.
Old 15-07-2022, 12:53 PM   #25
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Brand reputation is important to some, look at the number of asian driving MB's and BMW's. They're not aspiring to drive a Ford, Kia or Toyota, but they do aspire to drive a MB or BMW. If this marketing strategy helps get people in the lower spec vehicle it may pay dividends for the manufacturers with future purchases.
Old 15-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #26
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had heated seats in our 4x4 since 2007, no subscription necessary. just press the butten, very nice when you are driving to work at 4:30am in the middle of winter.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Had heated seats in our 4x4 since 2007, no subscription necessary. just press the butten, very nice when you are driving to work at 4:30am in the middle of winter.
I'm not a fan of heated seats, feels like you've shat ya dacks IMO
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #28
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not a fan of heated seats, feels like you've shat ya dacks IMO
I love them in winter, wish all my cars had them. I'll take heated seats of A/C if given the choice.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #29
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Someone compared a Kia to a BMW. What a clown show.
Exactly, what clown would pick a BMW over a Kia.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 05:58 PM   #30
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I love them in winter, wish all my cars had them. I'll take heated seats of A/C if given the choice.

Agreed luv seat warmers my pants are always dry after a shat 🫣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: