Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default My Fiesta came to a new low...

Following oxyg3n's and bman's footsteps, I recently bought a set of Eibach springs from european-parts.net and got them installed just then. My main goal in getting these springs was to reduce body-roll and make the handling even better, the 35mm drop is a bonus.

Initial thoughts :-
-The bodyroll is reduced substantially.
-I havent cornered the car hard yet but seems like it sits much flatter when I go around round-abouts.
-Steering is sharper and more responsive.
-Steering is A BIT heavier than before but maybe wheel alignment will fix that "issue".
-Ride quality is firmer but still acceptable. It wont dislocate my lower spine.

I didn't really measure how much is the initial drop because as I mentioned before, lowering wasn't the main reason I purchased the springs for. I'd recommend the springs to anyone that wants to lower and/or improve their Fiesta's handling.

Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
goop

Sounds good I was concerned about handling compromises, but that's pretty reassuring.

Eibachs be me next mod, matey, yarr! I need to stop blowing money on hats though........... :togo:
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
bman

It will get harsher Ives, i noticed after about 300k's the ride became harder, but still acceptable.

Also, at about 500 i noticed a wobble in the steering wheel which became worse when i had a passenger. I wheel alignment was all it required to fix the problem, but if your installer told you otherwise........he is wrong.

- 17 x Ford Falcon XT BF - Within my Fleet -
- 4 x Ford Falcon XR6 BF - Within my Fleet -
- 110 x Mitsubishi Express - Within my Fleet -
- 2 x Hyundai iLoad - Within my Fleet -
bman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, I'm planning to do wheel alignment in 4 weeks. The springs should've settled by then.
Old 22-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Another way for people to improve thier handling on the Fez is to get a set of Polybushes. They allow the vehicle to sit flat through corners and improve handling more than the Springs. the benifit of these is that they ideally dont have to be listed as a mod on the car....

Springs are good for droppiong the centre of gravity.

Good on ya Ivan. cant wait to see the car...

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Another way for people to improve thier handling on the Fez is to get a set of Polybushes. They allow the vehicle to sit flat through corners and improve handling more than the Springs. the benifit of these is that they ideally dont have to be listed as a mod on the car....

Thanks man.

Yeh polybushes ay, I've thought about them but I dont think I'll go that extreme. But we'll see later on in the future. I'll enjoy these springs for now.
Old 23-04-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Quote:

So would installing polybushes be a better move for the handling on the Fez than the Eibachs? What do they cost to buy / install?
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als_Zetec
So would installing polybushes be a better move for the handling on the Fez than the Eibachs? What do they cost to buy / install?
they would be a better move in the terms that if you dont want to compromise your ride quality that you have now.. they will allow the Fiesta to sit flatter through corners, meaning you can accelerate earlier when comming out of a corner. they take away the boat style feel to the car...You can buy them from the UK. You can also get them From Aus, but they essentially import them from the UK. they are on ebay as the entire pack of what you need. there should be 8 bushes.....total inc shipping is about 350-400.

If you combined that with the Springs lol.. youd be cruising on rails....

Old 23-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Bushes wont make anywhere near that much of a difference.

At the end of the day... bushes will do squat to a standard car. Plus, 3-400 dollars is utterly ridiculous and you are being played for fools if you pay it.

If you want to improve the handling of the car get a custom made rear sway bar and upgrade your tyres.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I beleive the WQ Zetec has uprated bushes anyway. Handles well enough for me as is.
Old 23-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #11
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I met up with Ivan late Saturday to check it out and it looks bloody awesome to say the least. It gives a much better stance. I took it for a quick quirt around the Castle Hill area and it feel like a different car to my WP. It seemed more gripy through corners, less body roll, and not bumpy at all. Quite smooth actually. I even chopped a XR6 at the lights, but i think he was looking at the car than the lights.

Anyways well done Ivan. You have spent the money wisely. I would recommend this mod to anyone.

Ivan....i want your car!!

Damo (Mi Goreng for Lunch woohoo)

Last edited by MISTA FIESTA; 23-04-2007 at 01:22 PM.
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Bushes wont make anywhere near that much of a difference.

At the end of the day... bushes will do squat to a standard car. Plus, 3-400 dollars is utterly ridiculous and you are being played for fools if you pay it.

If you want to improve the handling of the car get a custom made rear sway bar and upgrade your tyres.
The Fiesta aint no standard car with yacht body role...you of all people should know that. I got a quote from whiteline for a custom rear sway bar... and how much did they quote me...400.

Have you tried Bushes Mitch...cause as far as i know atm. you have custom front sway bay, Rear adjustable sway bar and a couple of other things but no bushes.

Old 23-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Poly Bushes tighten up the car. they essentially stiffen up the chassis by dissallowing it to flex/twist as much as the old ones. the stiffer the bushes the more tension they hold. its like twisting a towel. you can only twist it so much before it gets really hard to twist. thats what a bush essentially does.

Springs lower the centre of gravity and have a stiffer spring rate. So when you go around the corner the car will still role, but you wont notice it as much cause the springs are holding/pushing against the car.

but with Bushes, when you go around the corner they dont allow the car to Role as much because they dont allow the car to flex.

Old 23-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
I met up with Ivan late Saturday to check it out and it looks bloody awesome to say the least. It gives a much better stance. I took it for a quick quirt around the Castle Hill area and it feel like a different car to my WP. It seemed more gripy through corners, less body roll, and not bumpy at all. Quite smooth actually.

Anyways well done Ivan. You have spent the money wisely. I would recommend this mod to anyone.

Ivan....i want your car!!
Thanks, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
I even chopped a XR6 at the lights, but i think he was looking at the car than the lights.
He wasnt trying, Damo, he wasnt trying.

I'm liking the look of the lowered Fiesta more and more now. This morning, I had a spirited drive to work. I'm REALLY happy with the springs and how it improves the overall feel of the car. It was really good until the speed limiter* kicks in. The ride quality isnt as bad as I thought it would be. But as bman, said maybe it'd get bumpier later on... we'll see.

* speed limiter aka my mum
Old 23-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #15
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Car looks great ivan
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #16
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Car looks great ivan
Cheers, mate.
Old 23-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #17
Lisho
Starter Motor

Nice mate. When I saw the thread title I thought 'Oh no this cant be good' but sounds great
Lisho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #18
0xyg3n

not as low as this fiesta :P Coilovers wound all the way down teehee.

0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #19
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

If you got a car that low its need atleast 4degrees of camber to go with the look
Old 23-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #20
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
The Fiesta aint no standard car with yacht body role...you of all people should know that. I got a quote from whiteline for a custom rear sway bar... and how much did they quote me...400.

Have you tried Bushes Mitch...cause as far as i know atm. you have custom front sway bay, Rear adjustable sway bar and a couple of other things but no bushes.

Really, think about it. do you think the standard bushes on most modern euro cars are of high quality??? i would say so.

In your opinion whats going to create a more noticeable difference, new poly bushes replacing brand new ford factory bushes.... Or adding a rear sway bar to a car which doesnt already have one.

400 on bushes or rear sway bar, Hmm let me think.

Bushes MIGHT make a tiny difference but it will be exactly that, tiny...

I can certainly tell you a rear sway bar does a hell of a lot more.
No i havent upgraded my front sway bar yet, and my springs are standard still. But the new ones are on their way and no i wont be changing bushes i will be putting that money towards my flash tune.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #21
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Mitch, I agree with you that out of Bushes and a Rear Sway Bar - the Sway bar would make the biggest difference and have better value for money.

However, I also think you're undermining the difference polybushes also make. As I said, it's not as big as a rear swaybar would, but it's not as small as you suggest it to be. Doesn't matter if your car is from Europe, Japan, Korea or (god forbid :P) America, if you upgrade to polybushes from your standard rubber ones; there will be a good difference.

This is because the standard bushes have a certain amount of give in them for ride comfort and what not. Polybushes will tighten everything up, there will be more immediacy to the way the car handles, steers and feels because they pick up the slack. So when you turn in and there's a slight delay before you actually turn, this is because the rubber bushes are absorbing the impact of your turning force input and is then transferring this to the respective suspension components; swaybars, linkages, arms, steering, etc

Regarding the original argument of Polybushes vs Eibachs...I'd personally choose the polybushes because I don't really considering lowering the car as a 'handling' mod anymore, more of an aesthetic mod, but that's just me.
Old 24-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #22
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Really, think about it. do you think the standard bushes on most modern euro cars are of high quality??? i would say so.

In your opinion whats going to create a more noticeable difference, new poly bushes replacing brand new ford factory bushes.... Or adding a rear sway bar to a car which doesnt already have one.

400 on bushes or rear sway bar, Hmm let me think.

Bushes MIGHT make a tiny difference but it will be exactly that, tiny...

I can certainly tell you a rear sway bar does a hell of a lot more.
No i havent upgraded my front sway bar yet, and my springs are standard still. But the new ones are on their way and no i wont be changing bushes i will be putting that money towards my flash tune.
well thats good for you. i like how you turn the Original Argument from springs and bushes to sway bar and bushes....

I agree with ardei, to me lowering is just a looks mod, it doesnt really increase handling as much as id like....id personally prefer to buy bushes. Also Ideally you dont have to list bushes, but i am certain that you have to list sway bars on insurance.

Your logic is weird, you are complaining to me about changing Ford bushes when you are Altering your suspension with aftermarket ones. i could easily complain saying why on earth are you changing VW springs for. but i wont cause then id fall into your "weird" logic.

Every one knows that Car manufacturers create their cars to a standard that allows reliable and longest possible life for their ride quality.... ford dont set out to create a car that is PERFECT for YOU. they create a car that will suit the target group.

To give the best handling possible, you would need to change sway bars, springs, bushes, shocks. and dont deny it. cause any suspension place will tell you that.

Old 24-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #23
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Best bang for bucks suspension "mod". Get a good wheel alignment
Old 24-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #24
bman

where do i find these bushes?

Old 24-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #25
photn
AFF Post NAZI

on www.pumaspeed.co.uk or search www.ebay.co.uk for fiesta mk6. which are located here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....1359&rd=1&rd=1

Old 24-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #26
bman

ok, and do i need to take them to somebody to be fitted? Or is it DIY?

Old 24-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #27
photn
AFF Post NAZI

umm if you know what your doing then you can do it yourself. but i sujust you get some one else to do it. if you are getting any other suspension work done you may be able to get them put in.