Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
F.Ord

Default Ford service issue

Had coil packs replaced on my BA around 18 months ago.Around 10k since and again it looks like I have faulty plug packs.

Decided to take a look at them before paying to have another set fitted only to discover at least one of them is different to the others.

Seems fairly obvious that although they charged for a new set 18 months back they didn't actually do what they charged me for.

Do I have any recourse in this situation? If so what should I be pushing for?

F.Ord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford service issue

Do you have receiptfor the work done?
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
F.Ord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Do you have receiptfor the work done?
Yes just dug it out,6 coil packs replaced.But given the time frame I would expect that they would just fob me off.
Old 21-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds to me you can at least ask the question...

What is the difference you mention? Will it support your statement they didn't do what you paid for?
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Heres a link to warranty info.
http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/genuine-parts
You will have to see how generous they are.
Old 21-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
F.Ord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Sounds to me you can at least ask the question...

What is the difference you mention? Will it support your statement they didn't do what you paid for?
The rear coil pack has a visteon sticker on it along with 3r2u-12a 366-aa
The other 5 have no sticker and are numbered FI1ta 9194ca 5r2u-12a366-aa and are clearly visually different to the rear one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
You will have to see how generous they are.
Even though it has been a fair while since it was done it is more a matter of principle for me.Why would feeling generous on their part even come into it given that it really does seem they ripped me off originally?
Old 21-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even if it's outside the warranty period and they refuse to replace you can still launch a case through VCAT. It's become a regular thing for me unfortunately given how most small businesses these day care not for quality service and only for turnover. 18 months for coil packs (average expected life of 200 000km/10yrs+) is completely unreasonable regardless of the given warranty period. There's a very good chance you will get a refund/replacement regardless of whether they're still under warranty or not. Consumers still have rights in this world despite right wing governments and media influences currently wanting to shift that. So if you have any issues make sure you always lodge a claim through VCAT/consumer affairs (easily done online). Infact I always do it immediately anyway even if the dispute is yet to get heated to ensure I have indisputable documented written evidence I've claimed/lodged a dispute at the critical time since the issue arose. Go to consumer affairs website it takes 5 minutes to launch a claim, highly worth it.
Old 21-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Ord View Post
The other 5 have no sticker and are numbered FI1ta 9194ca 5r2u-12a366-aa and are clearly visually different to the rear one

Ford did go through a change around 18 months ago. You may have just had a mix of the old & new stock fitted, they do work & fit identically. The 5R2U coils are the later release units.
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Go have a talk with them, they might cover the parts since you have low K's.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Do they have equal amounts of dust/grime on them?

May I ask what city this work was done in?

Yes they probably will try to fob you off.. Be firm yet persistent if you truly believe they have done the wrong thing.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

If it was within a year i think you would have a chance. Not after 18 months.

Also has it been diagnosed properly?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #12
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I'm curious what or who is saying the packs are faulty.... Never had. Bad experience with OEM units. Plural failed packs? As per partsguy doesn't sound like there is any case of new and old parts just smacked fair square on the changeover time.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
Goodie

Quote:
The other 5 have no sticker and are numbered FI1ta 9194ca 5r2u-12a366-aa and are clearly visually different to the rear one.
Sounds to me like they have only replaced 5 coils because the rear one is a bit of a pr!ck to get at , ( only my thoughts ) I only say this because i am going through a coil issue at the moment , i've just changed my plugs , and all my coils have the same brand & Pt No as the Visteon one in your car , and i'd be fairly certain that mine are originals .

It seems a bit odd that they wouldn't replace the 6 new coils with 6 of the same brand .
Goodie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
F.Ord

Bit of a follow up.
Total and utter stonewalling from ford.

The rear coil pack looked totally different to the other 5 and does look to be older than the others based on the stickers on the top of them,the rear one really faded compared to the others,not to mention the different numbers on it.

I ended up buying and replacing the rear coil and car is now running really well.

Never again will I use ford for anything.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #15
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to be the practice when I worked for Ford that we gave the customer the old parts in a plastic bag, 1972/3 so that may have changed.
Digital cameras are a mans best friend these days.
One of the worst ripoffs I've seen was oil filters, remove clean and refit, charge for new filter.
None of this stuff is particular to Ford I can assure you.
Don't make the mistake of thinking all businesses are above board. From what I've heard from reliable sources one of the worst is computer repair or warranty work, you get your computer repaired but that doesn't mean it's had new parts.

Another thing I haven't seen for years is the Gilbarco bloke checking the fuel bowsers for accuracy.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #16
F.Ord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Digital cameras are a mans best friend these days.
Trouble in most situations if you have to go to all of the trouble to pull everything apart to take pics then you might as well do the work yourself.Same as for checking the work afterwards.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #17
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Trouble in most situations if you have to go to all of the trouble to pull everything apart to take pics then you might as well do the work yourself.Same as for checking the work afterwards.
You don't need a digital camera but you're probably fed up with it all now, if you still wanted justice though then send them a "letter of demand" stating what you want for a resolution. Then straight after go down to the local police shop and tell them/emulate what you wrote in the letter of demand, ie that the last coil wasn't replaced, it was a different colour etc. He will write this down on a "statutory declaration" (which is better than a digital camera) and the other party (ford) will is obligated under law to write a response to your letter of demand within a certain period of time (usually only weeks to prevent them from stonewalling the dispute). Once their response comes back disagreeing or even accusing you, then this directly contradicts your testimony on the stat dec (as you emulated both letters to be identical remember) eg if ford says they were new in response to your letter of demand requesting replacements as they're actually old, and your stat dec says the back one wasn't replaced then this is a direct contradiction to what what ford have said. It is a very serious offense to lie on a stat dec and the maximum sentence is 4yrs imprisonment. If you walk back into the police station with the stat dec and fords response (from the letter of demand you sent them) and show the contradiction on the 2 papers to the officer/sergeant he will have no choice but to challenge the stat dec. And since your stat dec is correct the result will verify ford were lying (as I doubt ford are brave/confident enough to state it on a stat dec and for the sake of a sub $100 part). You only really need the stat dec anyway as if the other party isn't willing to pledge one of their own you basically win the case.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 03-05-2014 at 05:21 PM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep I agree with that entirely. So far I haven't come up with a 3rd option.

I recently took a vehicle to a mechanic that had been recommended to me and he gave me the used parts so naturally he gets all my work from now on.
I don't query the bill, I just request that we don't break down anywhere. I could do this work myself but can't be bothered and trust him to do the right thing.

Dealerships are able to withstand a lot more bad feedback from customers than the small businessman, I've spent years working for both and the small business has to look after their customers much more carefully.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
Goodie

Angry Re: Ford service issue

Nothing sh!ts you more than these types of businesses blatantly ripping ,
(more like thieving ) , people off . Some of us are lucky enough to be able to do a lot of this work ourselves , but you must wonder how many other people have been ripped off .

I hope you get some positive result out of this , jerk it into them .

Further to the issue with my car , where it had a miss at idle it turned out to be an inlet manifold gasket , luckily i didn't change the coils out , but i did get one of our local mechs to do the job for me , and whilst it was still on the hoist he showed me the old gasket .
Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #20
Kempe

So 18 months ago you paid for all six packs to be replaced, and one is now failing after 18 months and 10k
I would approach them under Australian Consumer Law that parts must last a reasonable amount of time and 18 months and 10k is not reasonable to me
Kempe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #21
Goodie

When they did the job originally , did they diagnose the problem with their
diagnostic tool , and have they charged you for that service on your receipt ?

How many K's were on the car at that time ?, as my car has 126,000K's and the coils are still good , so you should be getting more than 10 k's out of them .
Old 06-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #22
Tony_P
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy View Post
Ford did go through a change around 18 months ago. You may have just had a mix of the old & new stock fitted, they do work & fit identically. The 5R2U coils are the later release units.
I'm experiencing some backfiring with my BF wagon that I picked up 6 months ago. Partsguy, I have Visteon 5R2U coils installed. Would you have any idea how old they could possibly be?

I want to know if it's worth changing the coils as well as the plugs....
Tony_P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post