Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bumper kiss

Well last thursday, had my car in the driveway. my mate who clearly drives to quickly, drove up the driveway and continued straight into the back of my fiesta.... not impressed....

there is now a long and continually growing crack in the paint, as well as the bumper that has bowed up (spelling??), and is out of line in places.

i have been on the hunt for quotes gotten 5 so far. 1 place spent more time looking over the rest of the car rather than the actual bumper without saying a word, another took the time to talk to me, saying what would get done, another 2 looked at it for a moment and made a judgement, and another had a horrible B****y receptionist and a guy who again hardly looked at it.

One thing that kept coming up is that it has been previously repaired, which is why its cracked the paint/filler thats on the bumper, and also that there could be damage behind the bumper.

So majority of that is fine, but im getting confused by the fact, theres a mixture of judgement on whether to replace or repair it. all i know is that i want to to be back how it was, which was pretty much perfect, but i have no idea whats best to do. so im seeking some opinions on the situation.

i will post photos up asap to give an of the damage.
your help is appreciated
Fiestaz

fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Pictures

The paint cracked
[IMG][/IMG]

Bowed up
[IMG][/IMG]

Slightly bigger panel gap
[IMG][/IMG]

Out of place, we did push it back in a bit, but still noticeable
Old 25-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While not exactly the same, I do feel your pain regarding a cracked rear bumper, my old WP has a similar case. Only difference is the crack was on the left hand side (see the dint, mismatched paint, but the crack reappeared a few days later). There is a bracket there that breaks easily, is a pain to repair, expensive to replace, and not guaranteed to work as I found out. My suggestion after trying the local Touch Up Guys, horrific, just replace the bumper. The plastic welding they did on my car was nothing short of horrible, the paint matching was awful, and it cracked within a few weeks again.

If you can find someone you trust to fix it do that, but I'd just replace the rear bumper myself fella. I'll post up an image tomorrow of the fixtures of the rear bumper. Can be a pain, but is do-able. Let us know how you go

Old 25-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I'd get it replaced. My front bumper was touched up by a truck & the paint just won't stick to it. Had it fixed twice & it's peeling again.
Old 26-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats where im heading just to have the bumper replaced.

i have had 3 smash repairers say they will fix it. but the thought of heating it up, pushing and prodding it back into shape just doesnt really seem like it would have a good outcome, not to mention the respray with colour matching and so on.

another smash repairer said he would only replace the bumper, wouldnt even attempt to fix the crack, let alone where its bowed up.

with how i was treated and served by the guy who said he'd replace the bumper, and how he took the time to not only explain how the bumpers work, and why he'd replace it, but also explained my options of going through insurance or private. that together has made me feel alot more comfortable with him than anyone else. the other three just found it plain weird that i for one didnt know how it would be payed for yet, and two how the insurance works on my car.

Customer service i feel is really important in my decision. as i want to be able to trust the people who are attending to the damage on my pride and joy.

nevertheless it is a major pain in the A$$ having a mate run into the back of my car, and then having to spend my time and petrol driving around getting quotes. hardly impressed....
Old 26-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Alot of insurance companies wont pay for replacement thats the problem. Things like the environment and dumping costs are the reason why they are all opting to repair to, it can be cheaper and easier for them!

If it was me personally id want it replaced, but get proof of the old bar, e.g. ask for it back as some will tell you they are replacing it when in fact they just repair it neways and charge you full tilt for the repalcement.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as we have choice of repairer, wouldnt the repairer make the recommendation that it gets replaced? (if its a certified repairer)
Old 26-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

commonly they would do a recondition bar for it wouldnt they? my girlfriends car ( a fiesta in that colour) needed a new rear bar after a guy ran up the back of her car cost 850 for a new/ reconditioned bar, paint and fit if that helps?
Old 27-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
commonly they would do a recondition bar for it wouldnt they? my girlfriends car ( a fiesta in that colour) needed a new rear bar after a guy ran up the back of her car cost 850 for a new/ reconditioned bar, paint and fit if that helps?
i got a quote back today, $950 including new bumper bar ($460 alone). the guys who had a really good look at it, have said it would need a new bumper bar, the guys who vaguely looked, didnt mention possibility of behind bumper damage, or say much else said they'd repair it.

quite confusing too be honest. i think i've chosen the repairer, who said he'd replace it, mainly for his customer service but also the fact that its a guaranteed repair, unlike the guys who said they'd repair it where theres a chance it wont work out.
Old 27-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah damage like that if the panel beater "repairs it" in hour not using the correct method that crack will just keep showing up. its happening in my gt front bar from an aami insurance job its been "repaired" 3 times and its back again so a new or recondition even is the better bet. atleast with a reco bar you know it has been fixed properly
Old 05-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
frinik

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
The paint cracked
[IMG][/IMG]

Bowed up
[IMG][/IMG]

Slightly bigger panel gap
[IMG][/IMG]

Out of place, we did push it back in a bit, but still noticeable

looks similar to the damage I have to my WP atm...
cost too much to fix so i just left it...wouldnt make the money back if i sold it... im just waiting for somebody to rear end me so i can get it fixed for free
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik
looks similar to the damage I have to my WP atm...
cost too much to fix so i just left it...wouldnt make the money back if i sold it... im just waiting for somebody to rear end me so i can get it fixed for free
fair enough.. im just lucky someone else is paying for it.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

How weird, I was rear ended this morning by a Holden barina that has done tons more damage to the rear bumper and back hatch, there is a few bolts under the back bumper in mine that pierced through the plastic so there replacing it. thank god my foot was not on the brake as she hit me or it would of done more damage
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

geez that sucks.... fiestas seem to attract rear bumper attention :\ im still waiting for mine to get fixed :\
Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

What year is the car? is it still within manufacters warranty period?
Old 16-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
AussieFiestaMK6
Starter Motor

I have a few problems with mine regarding repairs

I have a cracked front headlamp, Im just looking to replace that with some nice modded ones online

but I have a dent in the back which came from parking too tight near a pole (serves me right really). The dent is between the bumper and the rear panel. I've used some cut & polish to remove paint from the pole from my car.

heres the pic of what the dent is

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=IMG_0551.jpg
AussieFiestaMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ouch thats painful that one...
Old 29-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
frinik

while we're here...anybody know any good ford wreckers. Might be cheaper to source parts from them instead of brand new?
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #19
AussieFiestaMK6
Starter Motor

http://www.fordhamspares.com.au/
AussieFiestaMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post