Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #91
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Panic Attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
You can fix a panic or Anxiety disorder and you don't have to take medication.

The first step for anyone suffering from Anxiety or Panic is thier GP, you can get up to 12 sessions with a Clinical Phychologist on Medicare using something called a Mental Health Care plan.
A mental health care plan will cover 10 sessions and depending on the severity, further consults.

Medication assists to treat symptoms of the disorder, assisting the individual to work on the biological and cognitive thought process of the panic disorder without having to work on the whole situation at once.

Many idividuals suffering anxiety are also coupled with the onset of depression and or other mood disorders.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #92
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

I always keep a paper bag in the car as the carbon monixide(?)from breathing in and out can calm your breathing if uncontrollable.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #93
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Yep, , I have had em, along with Anxiety. Lexapro fixed em for good.......

Used to happen in high populated areas ( shops, concerts, etc ) Dehydration was also an issue.

Then I started with the SVT, ( where your heart beats at over 200. ) in my case I have to go to the hospital and they inject a drug to force your heart to slow down. Most SVT is caused by Caffene, Dehydration, Excessive Alcohol ), and have since been diagnosed with an accessory pathway between the Ventricle and Atrium in my heart.

Im due for a Cardiac Ablation of the pathway in about 2 months.

But the BIGGEST difference was the Lexapro ( small dose ) in getting rid of the Anxiety and the Panic Attacks. with NO side affects.

AC/DC
Normal dose is 20mg/day.

I am on 30mg/day for PTSD. It mostly controls getting adrenalin spikes for me.

At least I understand whats happening now. Its almost been 3 years, lost my family. Starting to rebuild everything now.

You get that.

My favourite quote always has been 'Everyone is crazy some of the time, it just depends on how crazy and how much time'.....

The author of that quote was actually me when I was 18.So i figured that out long before my curent issue occured. Am 31 now.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #94
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
A mental health care plan will cover 10 sessions and depending on the severity, further consults.

Medication assists to treat symptoms of the disorder, assisting the individual to work on the biological and cognitive thought process of the panic disorder without having to work on the whole situation at once.

Many idividuals suffering anxiety are also coupled with the onset of depression and or other mood disorders.
Yeah of course, but for an individual who may be considering seeking help for the first time, you wouldn't want them thinking medication was the only answer.

For those that don't know, you will only get medication from a Phychiatrist or a GP, a Phychologist only does behavioural type therapy.
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #95
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe_xr6
Wow, never new this thread existed, ive had them for about 4 years, started off with the whole breathing thing, now its just dizzyness and nasuea and sometimes the breathing thing. I have been on zoloft for 3 days now ( to help with anxiety ) and have had some horrible side effects, including the breathing anxiety, jaw clenching, feeling like dry reaching, hopefully these will subside so then i can get my life on track. A also have started talking to a physcologist
Lexapro is the 3rd med i was put on before it worked and had little side effects. The first so called solution might not always be the one that suits you best.

I think zoloft was the first, but it stopped me arriving at the end with the missus....the 2nd, cymbalta, gave me the squirts for a month till I told the psychiatrist to get stuffed and stopped taking them. I had to be on nothing for week before I could switch to the lexapro-that was murder, but worth it in the end.

Last edited by my_gxl; 21-06-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 21-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #96
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
If I hadn't adressed my anxiety disorder I would certainly be suffering from depression now as that is where my condition was heading.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #97
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl
Lexapro is the 3rd med i was put on before it worked and had little side effects. The first so called solution might not always be the one that suits you best.

I think zoloft was the first, but it stopped me arriving at the end with the missus....the 2nd, cymbalta, gave me the squirts for a month till I told the psychiatrist to get stuffed and stopped taking them. I had to be on nothing for week before I could switch to the lexapro-that was murder, but worth it in the end.

are you off the Lexapro now? or do you need to stay on it the rest of your life?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #98
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I was prescribed cymbalta first and refused to take it after finding out its the worst AD for your liver, i got back to the gp today, lets see if shes more ****ed off
Old 21-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #99
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
was there an "event" in your life??

i don't think there was for my wife, just trying to grasp it.
it was so sudden, heart race, sweaty, just want's to leave (shops)..oddly she doesn't like being alone either..

all this in the last 6 months and we are both middle aged, so i cant see her growing out of this.
For me personally, there was no one specific event that's triggered off my anxiety and depression. One month I'll be totally fine and cruising through life, the next I'll be struggling to get out of bed. Over the years, both me and my sister have been dealt a few nasty blows tragedy wise, and that hasn't helped. Neither of us can handle crowds very well, and that comes and goes. For me, stress increases the issue, so now that i'm working part time, working casual and studying final year engineering full time, plus everything else on the side, stress is pretty much a daily thing in my life, so i've had to go on AD meds till at least graduation.

vibe_xr6: I was on zoloft, so have both my mum and sister, none of us could handle it, it made the issue worse. We've all found lexapro as an AD, and Xanax as an anti-anxiety help (mum and I are/have been on lexapro succesfully and my sister is on xanax). While we still have our days, highs and lows, its a lot more stable, and its not nearly as extreme. I occassionally get a bit of jaw tightness, but thats moreso psychological, as I expect that from any AD med. My housemate was on zoloft for the past year, if he forgot his meds for a day, he'd get real snarky, and then he'd forget the next day and so on, until he was almost psychotic, was rather scary to be honest, and difficult to make him see reason to be able to get him to take his meds again. Thankfully he's off them now, and self managing.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #100
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
are you off the Lexapro now? or do you need to stay on it the rest of your life?
I will be on it for life.

I can tell when i forget it-get angry fast, plus my ability to read actually slows down, then stops. Thats my best warning sign to go to a quiet palce with no stimulation.
Old 21-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #101
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe_xr6
I was prescribed cymbalta first and refused to take it after finding out its the worst AD for your liver, i got back to the gp today, lets see if shes more ****ed off
Its also the worst for withdrawal symptoms. Was told this after I had to go through it.
Old 21-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #102
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
I will be on it for life.

I can tell when i forget it-get angry fast, plus my ability to read actually slows down, then stops. Thats my best warning sign to go to a quiet palce with no stimulation.
Do you find that it makes you drowsy? i've been on it before, with no real issues, but my Doctor is insisting I take it in the morning, but I can't seem to make it through the day without falling asleep at my desk/in a lecture/at the kitchen sink.
I don't want to mess around with the time of it too much, as I like you know when I've missed a dose, and I realise pretty quickly.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #103
monte.b

Over the years ive had panic attacks ,it used to hit me when in the cinema or in planes ,worst was when i went to see my kids graduate from uni ,i had to sit in an isle seat so i could do the bolt when my kid got their paper ect ,never knew what it was ,just felt like puking ,cold sweats heart going like mad ,had to get out of there ,bit hard in a plane ,i flew from the gulf to cairns in a small plane after the banana prawn season ,wasnt nice ,but i made it ,been ok after that ,its hard thing to admit for an old boilermaker ,we were taught to be tough, none of that amby pamby stuff ,ive never smoked dope, only dopes do that ,love a cold beer though ,hope you all find a solution to your problems
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #104
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b
...never knew what it was ,just felt like puking ,cold sweats heart going like mad ,had to get out of there...
That's exactly what I feel when I have a panic attack, great description. Also, I'm with you on the isle seat idea..

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #105
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
That's exactly what I feel when I have a panic attack, great description. Also, I'm with you on the isle seat idea..
this fits a closer description of a generalised anxiety disorder.
Is it triggered in unfamiliar environments and unfamiliar people?
looking for the closest exit?

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #106
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski
Do you find that it makes you drowsy? i've been on it before, with no real issues, but my Doctor is insisting I take it in the morning, but I can't seem to make it through the day without falling asleep at my desk/in a lecture/at the kitchen sink.
I don't want to mess around with the time of it too much, as I like you know when I've missed a dose, and I realise pretty quickly.
Lexapro does not make me drowsy, so i have it at breakfast.

The zoloft did, so i ahd it the same time at night.
Old 23-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #107
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
looking for the closest exit?
Yes that too.. a trip to the shops never used to be complete without becoming fully aware of where the exits and toilets were.. either gets me away from the crowd so either is ok!

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #108
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I had a old high school mate who gets panic/anxiety attacks, but he'd only get them while driving which was a little unusual. Any sort of modded car, tailgaters, anyone he thought was intimidating him, or Holdens, specially Holdens, he hated them, he would easily get wound up by them and racing off with them at any cost. He'd end up shakey and in a cold sweat afterwards, said it was like having a mega adreinelin hit, he could only liken it to sky diving, so I can't relate to that...
But his whole demeanor would change in an instant, he start all calm and collected then go quite and it was on, a quiet intenseness would come over him and wouldn't talk much back or hear what you say to him, he'd just zone out.
Needless to say, I do not get in the car with him anymore, he says he's seeing someone about, but I have not seen see any progress. I don't know how he hasn't killed himself or someone else, or even lost his license yet. I try not to associate with him now, too scary

Apart from his driving antics you'd never know....
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 05:38 AM   #109
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
I had a old high school mate who gets panic/anxiety attacks, but he'd only get them while driving which was a little unusual. Any sort of modded car, tailgaters, anyone he thought was intimidating him, or Holdens, specially Holdens, he hated them, he would easily get wound up by them and racing off with them at any cost. He'd end up shakey and in a cold sweat afterwards, said it was like having a mega adreinelin hit, he could only liken it to sky diving, so I can't relate to that...
But his whole demeanor would change in an instant, he start all calm and collected then go quite and it was on, a quiet intenseness would come over him and wouldn't talk much back or hear what you say to him, he'd just zone out.
Needless to say, I do not get in the car with him anymore, he says he's seeing someone about, but I have not seen see any progress. I don't know how he hasn't killed himself or someone else, or even lost his license yet. I try not to associate with him now, too scary

Apart from his driving antics you'd never know....
Funny you say that about the cars and holdens! I used to be the same and still am a tad, I hated holden drivers and would get wound up wanting to flog them! ( in my car ) lol. I would get shakey and the ticker would be of the dial!
Quite annoying really.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #110
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Funny you say that about the cars and holdens! I used to be the same and still am a tad, I hated holden drivers and would get wound up wanting to flog them! ( in my car ) lol. I would get shakey and the ticker would be of the dial!
Quite annoying really.
Same here, thing is most people know when to stop, lol
And if I really felt I needed a power trip to smash the Generals boys, I'd just buy quick crotch rocket again
I do miss that a little, little squirt... Goooooone :
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #111
Falcman0o7
Banned

So how is everyone going now???
Old 22-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #112
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

I've learnt the hard way that one should not consume alcohol when on SSRI medication.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #113
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Lexapro 20mg a day for last four years. All good. Be stuffed without it thou..
Old 23-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #114
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

been on 30mg lexapro for a few years, and I was drinking heaps...well until about 2 weeks ago when doc told me my liver is not well.
Old 23-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #115
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
been on 30mg lexapro for a few years, and I was drinking heaps...well until about 2 weeks ago when doc told me my liver is not well.

what were you drinking , water ? beer ? spirits ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #116
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
not good mate.
Old 24-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #117
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My girlfriend had one (her first) on saturday night, scared the living ***** out of me
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #118
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
what were you drinking , water ? beer ? spirits ?
spirits mostly
Old 25-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #119
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
not good mate.
been alcohol free for 2 weeks now. Nights are so boring
Old 25-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #120
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
been alcohol free for 2 weeks now. Nights are so boring
dont know how old you are , but believe it or not , drinking alcohol really is not the norm .
i used to drink beer and spirits from age 15 to24 , stopped because i married a non drinker <<< not the right reason to stop . anyhow after many binges with the boys into the mid 30's you come to realize you only do it to feel happy , and after a while the conceptrion of happy changes , if i go out now and drink , i pretty much dont change how i am , or may just get heavy headed and a massive 3 day hangover , so a really really big alcohol night for me now is 3 beers , or 5 beers max . pretty much now the norm is 2 beers twice weekly . and i gotta say , if you need a drink to have a good time , that is not normal , sorry but its the truth , even though sometimes i go to a club and dont drink , then i dont want to be there , therefore they are boring places as i dont like them in my real state , sober .
unless i go with a mate i can have 1 or two ,anymore and i wouldnt be there to enjoy a mates company .
just dont drink for a while and find a hobby/ hobby club instead , and you'll find you seek different kinds of fun .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post