Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
shevek

Default Telling WS from WT

From the outside, they look pretty much the the same to me, though different paint colour is a giveaway. What are the subtle differences?

Just curious.

shevek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Telling WS from WT

Different wheel styles, of course. With different size offset.

No sedan option in the WS.

A felt covering on the back of the rear seats in the WT (seen when looking through the open hatchback), as opposed to bare metal in the WS.

P**s weak 1.4L motor in the WS auto version.

The undertray aerodynamic thingy in the WT is only found in the Econetic version of the WS.

Supposedly the WS has a nicer feel to its interior materials, particularly the motoring journalists' favourite quality test - the dash.

There's a few to get you started.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Spinner77

WS has rake as well as reach steering wheel adjustment.

WS 2-door has side-skirts.

WT has more sound-proofing than WS.

WT has better air-conditioning.

A (very) few early WS models came with Pirelli pZero Nero tyres.
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got this from another forum

• Different alloy wheels (same size)
• Different size tyres (can’t remember the exact dimensions)
• Different suspension, I believe the WT is more 'sportier'
• Quieter engine on WT
• Different front spoiler design with chrome sections on WT
• No chrome strip on boot on the WT
• Different headlights
• No heated exterior mirrors on WT
• No spare wheel on the WT
• Extra carpet on the back of the rear seats on the WT
• Extra support on front seats on the WT
• No ambient lighting on the WT
• Hard dash on the WT and different colours to the WS (Both cars are black with a burgundy colour for the WS and grey on the WT)
• Storage draw on the front passenger seat on the WT
• Only single flip key fob supplied with the WT with a spare key whereas the WS came with two flip key fobs.
• Couple of extra net style storage pockets on the WT
• No deadlocks on the WT
• No front door scuff plate inserts on the WT

WS has a Tilt/slide steering wheel where the WT only has tilt adjustment
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Spinner77

The big tail spoiler was standard on the WS Zetec Hatch. Seems to be a $582 option on the WT Zetec.

Could be mistaken, but the WT looks to have smaller disks than the WS on the front brakes.

On the tyres, suspect it is 45 series on the WS and 50 on the WT.
Old 24-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ws does have 45
Old 24-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

The WT has the same front bar, regardless of model, with fog lights simply deleted in the CL and LX and replaced with round black plastic, whereas the WS CL has a different bar to the Zetec, with vertical slits instead of fog lights.

The WS was also available in a 3 door, ala WRC cars and I think the 3 door is by far the best looking Fiesta shape. The WT is 5 dr only: although the 3 dr remains in Europe.

The WT auto transmission is a better combo with the 1.6 instead of the 1.4 4 speed in the WS, although several people on here have had probs with the DSG....

The WS has a soft touch dash, the WT hard cheap plastic. The WS also has more steering adjustment than the WT.

WS is German made, the WT Thai built: so the quality of the fit and finish on the WT isn't as good but Ford can make them more price competitive.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
ellwa

WT has black headlights, and doesn't have the low diffuser on the front bar
ellwa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner77
The big tail spoiler was standard on the WS Zetec Hatch. Seems to be a $582 option on the WT Zetec.

Could be mistaken, but the WT looks to have smaller disks than the WS on the front brakes.
Pretty sure the spoiler is still standard.

Don't think the discs would be different, you could be right though.

Much more cost cutting has taken place in the WT to improve costs, a few improvements are there though such as the felt on the back of the rear bench and better air con apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellwa
WT has black headlights, and doesn't have the low diffuser on the front bar
They were always on the CL and LX. Personally I think they look better than the ricey looking clear ones with the projector but not as good output and more costs if you want to add HIDs

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
Spinner77

Just did a build and quote on the Ford website.

The big tail spoiler is listed as an option on the Zetec. Maybe a mistake.

Also noticed that the paints are either non-metallic, or Ford is not charging extra for metallic colours. The standard industry extra for metallic in the hundreds of dollars is a big rip-off anyway.

Yes, the projector lights are a big difference.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Man why are things worse on the later models when they should be getting better!

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Spinner77

Why? Could have been their strategy from day 1.

In the first wave they were going after a new market segment, mainly people who would never have been seen dead in the old Fiesta models, with their boxy design - something only an engineer could love. So Ford provided unusually good value to get quick penetration.

Now the concept is well established and accepted in the market, they are trying to claw back some margin by leaving small things out, at the same time competing more aggressively with other makes on the sticker price, on the low-end models especially.

I would expect the things now left out will reappear in new premium models, with nice fat margins.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
paulo7

Yes Spinner77,
I used to work in the engineering field, and sometimes helped in the production of parts for car companies. They always try to make a new car as appealing as possible for the first model and gradually reduce some features or get another supplier that's cheaper so as to increase profit. Any supplier will tell you stories of being screwed down on their unit price as time goes by.
Then in mid-model-life they offer the new stuff that seems to be the fashion. The latest example is automatic parking, to try and get more customers over to the brand. The new focus has it on the upper level cars and I reckon it will be only a matter of time before its an option (albeit expensive) on the fiesta.
Then gradually that feature will be the norm and will be on every "level" of a car as the next "new-whiz-bang" thing becomes fashionable and then the cycle continues.
paulo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Ford Aus really had no option but to source it's Fezs from Thailand and try and reduce driveaway prices (I think the CL is going from $16,490 now driveaway) as the German built Fez was too expensive to be competitive - the Mazda 2 outsold it 2 to 1 and the Yaris often 3 to 1. It has been clawing back ground but is often outside the top 20 cars sold each month while the 2 and Yaris are often in the top 10. Having sat in a new WT while I was getting a PCM update at the local dealership I can easily say the interior looks and feels far cheaper and nastier on the new models, but at the same time you are saving coin at the time of purchase.....

What is concerning is that when the ST Fez (eventually) gets here (if Ford can get supply) is that it is too be priced against the Polo GTI: trouble is the Polo has (and is only available with) a DSG gearbox (boo) but the Fez will be manual. So shouldn't it be at least $1500-$2K cheaper because of the manual?? And unfortunately Aus won't get the 3 door turbo (ala WRC cars), only the 5 door. So will the ST be priced out of the market?
Old 26-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depending on supply, the ST should be a hit. Yes, I would expect 2k saving on the Polo. More, actually, because the Polo has a waiting list of up to a year, and the dealers won't budge on price at all - if you don't want to pay full whack plus BS on road charges, then the next person in the queue will. If Ford can get a nice supply of ST's, then they will sell them - I'd certainly be interested in one for around $27-28k.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Will Ford have similar supply issues as the Polo GTI (ie: Europe comes first, and bugger everyone else)? How many people would be prepared to slap down a deposit and wait 12+ months? If Ford Aus decide to import the 3 door and flog it for $25K, it would be excellent value.
Old 26-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd buy a 5 door st as long as it wasnt more expensive than the polo. Hopefully the US market will help make that happen.
Old 26-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
Spinner77

My sister-in-law wanted to buy a Polo.

I suggested she enquire about the servicing costs.

She bought a Mazda 3.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #19
golden
2009 WS Moondust Silver

A few more ws to wt difference to add.

Parabolic headlights on the zetec dropped
Adjustable hieght headlights dropped.

and a WQ to WS/T difference
No shorter ratio gear box for the ZETEC.

Can't say the A/C is any different, was great on my old WS and great on the new WT. (WQ wasn't the best)

On a side note the WS or WT still doesn't go around corners like the WQ Zetec. Maybe the next model.

Cheers
golden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #20
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Ford Aus really had no option but to source it's Fezs from Thailand and try and reduce driveaway prices (I think the CL is going from $16,490 now driveaway) as the German built Fez was too expensive to be competitive - the Mazda 2 outsold it 2 to 1 and the Yaris often 3 to 1. It has been clawing back ground but is often outside the top 20 cars sold each month while the 2 and Yaris are often in the top 10. Having sat in a new WT while I was getting a PCM update at the local dealership I can easily say the interior looks and feels far cheaper and nastier on the new models, but at the same time you are saving coin at the time of purchase...
Was also so more were readily available, there was a short delay on the WS from Germany of about a month, depending on other factors as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
I'd buy a 5 door st as long as it wasnt more expensive than the polo. Hopefully the US market will help make that happen.
The new ST will beat a GTi Polo I thik you will find. Hopefully a few tuning options become available as well.

Heck the current Mk7 base model would beat the TSi as well if it was driven right.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post