Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Little Car Syndrome

I drive an LV Focus, red in colour, with after-market wheels, but no turbo badges, or any mods, obvious or not ... but every little car, and I mean little car, wants to drag me at the lights! Getzes, Swifts, Yarises, Jazzes.

I know it's not a fast car (I mean, it's automatic and all, FFS), but it blows these cars away. Yet still they keep coming. Sometimes I don't even realise until I hear this mosquito-like buzz alongside me as some clown red-lines his Jazz in first gear, only to go into reverse when he's forced to change.

Is it just me, or do Foci in general attract attention from minnows? I never used to have the problem with the old EF 6cyl. Maybe it was too in-between: too quick for the little guys, but too small for the turbos and V8s to bother with??

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red = fast to a lot of people
fast = challange
small car = chance
Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Sometimes I don't even realise until I hear this mosquito-like buzz alongside me as some clown red-lines his Jazz in first gear, only to go into reverse when he's forced to change.
Hahahaha, that was funny
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Zero_PSI
Banned

Surprisingly when I had my skyline nobody dared to try it on. The thing wasn't even boosted but people figured it was because it was a skyline I guess. My EF had every bogan in their commy trying to go it and now that I've got my ute the older commies don't bother...minus a VL Turbo, but a few VE SV6's and and a couple of Falcons have tried.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
fast = challange
small car = chance
fast = challange
small car = chance
In our case=they lose
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
fast = challange
small car = chance
In our case=they lose
Lol what are we comparing to here Dallas? A 1.3 litre Swift?

Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Lol what are we comparing to here Dallas? A 1.3 litre Swift?

Oh thats a low blow
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 01-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

It's about which hairdresser gets to the salon first.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
It's about which hairdresser gets to the salon first.
Yeah well looks like you will be last then.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It's easy, Don't participate, let them be.
By the sound's of it, you like to drag them as you claim you leave them for dead and can hear them comming, so you are to blame some what, don't be tempted and you won't have the problem.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I had some wally in an XR5 T (2007 Focus) wanting to race the other night... im like yeeeeeer right...

So i guess it goes both ways.. Where theres a will, theres a wally too!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
It's easy, Don't participate, let them be.
By the sound's of it, you like to drag them as you claim you leave them for dead and can hear them comming, so you are to blame some what, don't be tempted and you won't have the problem.
Exactly, i refuse to be 'drawn into battle' in a side street
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Yeah well looks like you will be last then
Almost certainly, but if you drive one of these smaller cars automatic bog standard cars I think you need to maintain a healthy sense of humour about the fact that critics will frequently describe these Jazzes, Yaris, Focus' and the like as "hairdresser's cars" (just Google any of these with the words "hairdresser's car") and play along with it. Especially in the circumstance of the o.p.

Similarly, as a Fairlane owner I have live and laugh with those who refer to my cars variously as "pimpmobiles", "lawn bowler's cars", "yank tanks", "dinosaurs", "the star ship enterprise" etc.

I've owned smaller humbler cars (a Mini Moke for example) and still have a 1980 LC Lancer hatchback so I know what fun such cars can be. However, I also know I would be leading with my chin to suggest I was going to be a street racing target driving any of these or even the one of my Fairlanes.

Yes, people occasionally even want to have a street race with me when I am driving my bog standard 149 EH Holden panel van with drum brakes and crossply tyres but I don't kid myself that this car is target and the last thing I would want to do is get involved (emergency braking with drum brakes, crossply tyres no brake equilisation system let alone ABS and no crumple zone is something I don't want to know about).

In any event, it's always best to let the other guy win; street racing and traffic light drags puts both licences and lives at risk.

Last edited by aussiblue; 01-03-2011 at 03:39 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People said that the focus is a girls car or hairdressers car (well I do shave my head myself so its kinda true, lol).

So I thought.

hey lets make the most of this. So I joined some clubs & forums that cater for them & find out that there isnt the abundance of hot chicks that own focus' that I thought just a buch of blokes.

One thing I have found out is most of the girls I know own larger cars (eg.a friend of mine (girl) owns a V8 '69 mustang drag car & an FG XR6 daily, the old boss's mrs had a SS commodore another ownes a Ranger). So im starting to thing that V8's are girls cars, ha ha ha.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to clarify some things...

1. I don't race them 90% of the time. As I said, sometimes I don't even realise there is a race! That said, the Jazz who "smoked" me 3 times in 3 days, and kept weaving through traffic like he was Schumacher making a run from the back of the grid, needed to be shown who was boss on the fourth day...

2. Nothing illegal happens. I.e. I cut out at 60kph or whatever the speed limit happens to be, and there's no tyre-smoking (as hard as it is to do in FWD). A lot of the time, it involves simply applying a touch more throttle, and the "contest" is over. Sometimes, it's over before it began, because I have fairly good reflexes, and can be across an intersection before most people start moving...

3. We're going to the shops - not the hairdressers.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post