Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #91
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post

You telling me that one person is not out there somewhere?
From my experience they are definitely out there, but it takes time and patience to find them. That doesn't seem like something you have right now.

As stated above, it's 100% a sellers market right now. Doesn't mean you won't find a bargain though. In the examples i stated in my previous post, all three cars took me 6 months to find.

My P250 took 4 years to find, I wasn't in a rush and stuck to my budget.
Old 14-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #92
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Don't think I ever got upset cause someone thought my quote was to high, always considered it was their loss.

My thoughts Exactly..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #93
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
From my experience they are definitely out there, but it takes time and patience to find them. That doesn't seem like something you have right now.

As stated above, it's 100% a sellers market right now. Doesn't mean you won't find a bargain though. In the examples i stated in my previous post, all three cars took me 6 months to find.

My P250 took 4 years to find, I wasn't in a rush and stuck to my budget.
I'm not in a hurry at all, we have two cars in the house and will only truly need a third one for when my son heads off to uni next year.

As for sellers market - I just flat out refuse to agree.

Plus a used 2014 Lexus is not a collector car- there are heaps of them out there and they are all the same.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #94
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I'm not in a hurry at all, we have two cars in the house and will only truly need a third one for when my son heads off to uni next year.

Just curious....This isn't directed at you specifically and I keep ready this stuff all the time but can anyone tell me why parents have to buy their offspring a car.
The way I see things, if they can not buy their own car, making their own decisions, how are they going to afford to keep one.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #95
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As someone who just sold and bought a vehicle, its a sellers market for sure at the moment. Despite all the doom and gloom the media portrays, a lot are better off money wise now than ever. Of course we all know that will change in the future, but for now it's gunna be tough finding a bargain.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #96
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Its a Buyers and Sellers market imo.
Less new cars on lots and then many people searching for used cars.
Its a win win kind of way.
I needed to buy prior to EOFY.
TBH I had Dealers at my taking, especially smaller Wholesalers.
My brother at the same time was looking as well and opted a Private purchase that the seller just had enough having his listed for sometime and copped a good hit via depreciation and needed to shift that car for he bought something else.
Pandemic hurts all but also creates opportunity depending if the need is now - later who knows.
There is always a buyer out there and there's always a Seller in the end has to sell.
Timing is a wonderful thing in all these scenarios as we all know.
Very different matter if like Fordomatic waiting and waiting like 4yrs.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #97
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just curious....This isn't directed at you specifically and I keep ready this stuff all the time but can anyone tell me why parents have to buy their offspring a car.
The way I see things, if they can not buy their own car, making their own decisions, how are they going to afford to keep one.
Simples. They are spoiled brats who spend their money on electronic devices and partying, thus leaving them without the cash to buy and run a car, which they know will be supplied by their parents. Easier to buy them a car than it is to educate in personal financial responsibility. Just the way it is now.
(Speaking from personal, and other people that I know, experiences)
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #98
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Because we stooopid, we created the entitled ones
Yes I'm guilty x 2times so far, 1 left to go

answering on from ira - its a leg up kind of thing, my ol man helped me/wife contributing that last bit needed for our 1st deposit and we paid it back.
I have no worries giving my kids that first leg up as mentioned but its under conditions.
You pay back an agreed amount, its yours to manage and keep on the road from there on.
IF your in financial difficulties let us know, we may help get you out of trouble bit like a boomerang we want a return.
I'm happy with the above.

Last edited by FTE217; 14-08-2020 at 01:39 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #99
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My son is at boarding school so can't get a part time job, then he is heading off to uni where he will need a car.

If you think the best lesson you can pass on to your kid is to make them save up for a car, then I feel sorry for your children.
Old 14-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #100
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Plus a used 2014 Lexus is not a collector car- there are heaps of them out there and they are all the same.
There are also lots of Mazda 3s and Hyundai i30s out there. That does not make them worthless or worth a lot less
Old 14-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #101
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Perhaps it was a signal to stop wasting the buyers time by trying to talk them into Factory Financing? If only there was a similar off switch for dealer extended warranty, paint protection, fabric/leather protection, etc.
Really? can honestly say i never once tried to talk anyone into finance, no skin off my nose how they paid for the car nor any financial gain personally it was simply back then $250 retainer weekly and $200 a car,considering it was back in the 90s and give or take 18 cars a month was normal it was good coin,changes nothing, fronting up with "ive got cash" at a dealership means sfa and as i posted earlier means sfa whenever ive sold anything privately,someone says "ive got cash" really, as opposed to what gift vouchers?
Old 14-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #102
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
answering on from ira - its a leg up kind of thing, my ol man helped me/wife contributing that last bit needed for our 1st deposit and we paid it back.
I have no worries giving my kids that first leg up as mentioned but its under conditions.
You pay back an agreed amount, its yours to manage and keep on the road from there on.
IF your in financial difficulties let us know, we may help get you out of trouble bit like a boomerang we want a return.
I'm happy with the above.
Fair enough to get a leg up via a repayable loan, but that 'loan' seems to be more of a long term non-repayable loan, AKA an expected 'gift' today than what it was way back when.
Yep, my parents bought my first car, 500 old Pounds, which I repaid, in full, within 12 months, plus paying them for board and keep until I left home at 19, (not to go to uni.)
These sort of arrangements don't seem to be acceptable now.
I could go on about how hard it was last century, but tell young people that now, and they wouldn't believe you.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #103
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Not that it made sense from the start, but this statement is not making sense.

There needs to be some perspective here. Red book says $18k for a trade in on an is250, no doubt that will comply to a km range. However, what the dealer pays for that trade in may not reflect what redbook says value wise. There is too many variables on that trade in figure.

For example. An is250 with 50,000kms in average condition may trade for The redbook value of $18k. Another exactly the same, but in absolute mint condition may go for $20k. But another dealer may trade that exact same month condition car for $15k because that’s what they got them at.

Apart from just trying to be a low baller which lets be honest no one likes, your basing your market values off the wrong figures. Private vs dealer are seperate markets most of the time. Generally private is cheaper than dealer. Really you should be going through car sales and other sites with your criteria for a car. See what results come up, see how they compare and work out what you want and what suits your budget.

I worked at a Toyota and Lexus dealership. The redbook value was rarely used, most of the time our valuers would look at car sales to see what cars are listed for and work it out from there. They would read the market.

Sticking with this redbook value is pointless.
Well put,what it seems some people dont get is that unless the car on yard was bought outright with no trade involved ie purchase price/ factor in whatever repairs/service blah blah add a margin and on the lot it goes as opposed to a car thats on yard as a result of trade in which means in order to do the deal the thing might owe them more than it should as you will know,back in the 90s when working at a Toyota dealership a mate of mine worked up the road at a Nissan outfit and many times to simply do a deal they would inflate the trade in price to the point of losing money on the new car they were selling that said they like Toyota got a rebate from the factory.
Old 14-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #104
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But getting back to used car prices, I haven't bought a car for nearly 10 years, and have no wish to upgrade / buy / sell anything at present.
I don't haggle, never have, if the price/change-over asked is more than I think is reasonable, that's it .... "no thanks, bye". Any follow-up phone calls from a seller or dealer is generally met with ...... "too late, got what I wanted elsewhere."
Old 14-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #105
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Really? can honestly say i never once tried to talk anyone into finance, no skin off my nose how they paid for the car nor any financial gain personally it was simply back then $250 retainer weekly and $200 a car,considering it was back in the 90s and give or take 18 cars a month was normal it was good coin,changes nothing, fronting up with "ive got cash" at a dealership means sfa and as i posted earlier means sfa whenever ive sold anything privately,someone says "ive got cash" really, as opposed to what gift vouchers?
98TLS that is your own experience and pov.....
Whereas talking back in the '90's bank loans/finance weren't handed out left right centre as it developed into the 00's onwards.
Most (if having the liquid) offering cash to sharpen the pencil I doubt many Salesmen say no don't bother, it was hang on let me check with the Sales Manager not talking a private sale but the same applies re a final figure.
Most have said and another thread, IF you got the cash on hand most sellers will agree to a sharper agreed deal. DD for others inclined, the point is having the liquid either way you'd expect squeezing the best you can for yourself.
Being the shopper you as my Salesmen in the dealership, you've lost my deal.
Old 14-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #106
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being a cash buyer when buying from a dealer makes no difference because the dealer can secure a loan for anyone with a pulse. In some cases being a cash buyer is a negative as dealer won't make any finance commission on the deal. But having ready funds is worth something in a private deal. It gives the seller confidence the sale is not conditional on the buyer getting a personal loan.
Old 14-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #107
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Being a cash buyer when buying from a dealer makes no difference because the dealer can secure a loan for anyone with a pulse. In some cases being a cash buyer is a negative as dealer won't make any finance commission on the deal. But having ready funds is worth something in a private deal. It gives the seller confidence the sale is not conditional on the buyer getting a personal loan.
we were talking back in the '90's.
We all know dealers get a cut from finance but it wasn't pushed as much as todays trading and software systems were nowhere as set up as nowadays.
Old 14-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #108
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Yeah, don't tell a dealer you're paying cash until after you've agreed to a price as they don't like to lose the commission from the loan and will price the vehicle accordingly.

Actually it doesn't hurt to ask during negotiations what type of finance do they offer to throw them off the scent.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #109
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes last car we brought salesman said they make more out of financing getting cash is unusul and extra work .
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #110
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
98TLS that is your own experience and pov.....
Whereas talking back in the '90's bank loans/finance weren't handed out left right centre as it developed into the 00's onwards.
Most (if having the liquid) offering cash to sharpen the pencil I doubt many Salesmen say no don't bother, it was hang on let me check with the Sales Manager not talking a private sale but the same applies re a final figure.
Most have said and another thread, IF you got the cash on hand most sellers will agree to a sharper agreed deal. DD for others inclined, the point is having the liquid either way you'd expect squeezing the best you can for yourself.
Being the shopper you as my Salesmen in the dealership, you've lost my deal.
Fair call,there was always room to move for sure but generally anyone seriously looking at a late or new model Toyota/Ford had money or access to it,goes without saying to me anyway and again generally if they bothered to show up chances are they were going to buy a car wether they paid with cash or finance from the dealership or somewhere else,my point is nobody cared about the "ive got cash"comment it meant nothing The only time i ever sold a car for actual cash was late on a Friday arvo to a couple that owned a restaurant,they bought a demo 1600 Corolla liftback and i had to stay at work late as they had the cash in the safe at the restaurant,from memory the price was in the mid $20s,sales manager was ****ed off as he had to come back count it and muck about with alarms to put it in the safe.
Old 14-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #111
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
we were talking back in the '90's.
We all know dealers get a cut from finance but it wasn't pushed as much as todays trading and software systems were nowhere as set up as nowadays.
To be fair in the 90s it wasnt selling new cars that kept franchised dealerships afloat it was the service/parts and used cars depts,possibly the same these days been out of the game to long to know.
Old 14-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #112
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Fair call,there was always room to move for sure but generally anyone seriously looking at a late or new model Toyota/Ford had money or access to it,goes without saying to me anyway and again generally if they bothered to show up chances are they were going to buy a car wether they paid with cash or finance from the dealership or somewhere else,my point is nobody cared about the "ive got cash"comment it meant nothing The only time i ever sold a car for actual cash was late on a Friday arvo to a couple that owned a restaurant,they bought a demo 1600 Corolla liftback and i had to stay at work late as they had the cash in the safe at the restaurant,from memory the price was in the mid $20s,sales manager was ****ed off as he had to come back count it and muck about with alarms to put it in the safe.
I hear you - like I've said takes all types.
Another winner back then for a better deal was last week of the month as you'd know or not, most Sales guys compared to you loved picking up last minute sales for bonus's and or shifting old stock that just had to go.

Same applies today, service and parts is way more profit but you need to shift dead woood from the lot still.
Old 14-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #113
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I hear you - like I've said takes all types.
Another winner back then for a better deal was last week of the month as you'd know or not, most Sales guys compared to you loved picking up last minute sales for bonus's and or shifting old stock that just had to go.

Same applies today, service and parts is way more profit but you need to shift dead woood from the lot still.
Dealerships worked in 1/4s,best time to buy a new car/truck whatever was to front up on the last day of a 1/4 and get tough with the price,units out the door was everything to the point of as i said earlier they would take a loss in order to do so.Fwiw (dunno if its the same these days) the really easy money from a salesmans point of view was when the leased cars turned over and came back to the dealership ie rental car companys etc,2 years old average around 50k and a year of new car warranty left priced to sell,money for jam.
Old 14-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #114
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
My son is at boarding school so can't get a part time job, then he is heading off to uni where he will need a car.
Thank you, you have answered that exactly as I thought you would.

Old 14-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #115
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thank you, you have answered that exactly as I thought you would.
Whilst i agree with the sentiment its a bit harsh having a crack at anyone spending there coin as they choose,the thought of asking my parents for a car or funds to buy one never entered my head all those years back to be fair i probably would have got a thick ear for doing so but if this blokes in a position to do so and does then whats the problem?
Old 14-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #116
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Whilst i agree with the sentiment its a bit harsh having a crack at anyone spending there coin as they choose,the thought of asking my parents for a car or funds to buy one never entered my head all those years back to be fair i probably would have got a thick ear for doing so but if this blokes in a position to do so and does then whats the problem?
Nah, don't get me wrong I agree anyone should spend the way they see fit, I just really wanted to know why parents did that.
i went straight from school to work within 4 days and never was given the opportunity, they had this thing called a bus when i was young.

Spammy hope you find the car your after, mate.

Old 14-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #117
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

There is no supply of cars at the moment for obvious reasons - as for 2014 IS250 you will be doing well getting one that is advertised for $30k for 23k . That's 23% discount off asking price . You can get a roughy for that for sure . They are also not all the same , there is luxury , sport luxury and f sport levels.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #118
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
There is no supply of cars at the moment for obvious reasons - as for 2014 IS250 you will be doing well getting one that is advertised for $30k for 23k . That's 23% discount off asking price . You can get a roughy for that for sure . They are also not all the same , there is luxury , sport luxury and f sport levels.
I'm fully aware of the the different specifications and I believe that amount of discount is achievable. I'm offering $23k for a car that is worth way way less than the advertised prices.

Just because someone advertises a car at a certain price, it in no way means that is the true worth.
Old 14-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #119
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm fully aware of the the different specifications and I believe that amount of discount is achievable. I'm offering $23k for a car that is worth way way less than the advertised prices.

Just because someone advertises a car at a certain price, it in no way means that is the true worth.
Yeah but it’s only you that thinks it’s worth that. Has the owner said it’s worth that?
Old 14-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #120
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Yeah but it’s only you that thinks it’s worth that. Has the owner said it’s worth that?
The owner is not the one buying it.