Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2021, 09:38 PM   #391
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Anyone got a spare T5? Give ya half a pack of winnie blues and 6x VB cans for it, with my driving might need a couple because it'll break before I get to the end of my driveway

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...8094355818093/

Imagine Franco cruising Chapel Street in this absolute weapon

The tray itself is 5.5M long, the Lebonator would fit on the back of that for when it blows the trans cooler lines again, might just leave it on the back and drive the F600 around

Greentop + turbo, 0 to 6 feet under in less than 10 seconds for sure

Why buy an F100 when you can have an F600, its 500 better

A 'ute' could be handy
You could have the Lebonator on the tray, be in the Lebonator, and have another person driving the F600 as your personal driver while you look down on Chapel St and turn heads
Old 25-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #392
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

GasO - you feel like coming out of retirement?

Maccas is on me, I know you're a man of culinary sophistication that only the golden arches can deliver, can sweeten the deal with some Winnie reds as an appetiser, or maybe you're a camel no filter man

Anyway back to used car prices:

UZS171 Crown - worth cents in the dollarydoos:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6845906/?Cr=0

JZS171 Crown - drug spondoolies:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19272547/?Cr=1

You can tell where the demand is for the JDM, anything 1/2JZ with turbo(s) is getting near on twice the money compared to 8 cylinders even though the 1UZFE is a good engine.

1UZFE Crown (Majesta C type) is a good buy for someone who wants a luxo bargette but doesn't mind smaller wheelbase than the locals.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 25-06-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2021, 10:57 PM   #393
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
GasO - you feel like coming out of retirement?

Maccas is on me, I know you're a man of culinary sophistication that only the golden arches can deliver, can sweeten the deal with some Winnie reds as an appetiser, or maybe you're a camel no filter man
Out of retirement for what? knowing you it probably won't be legal.
Old 26-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #394
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais View Post
I've been watching the prices of genuine XW Fairmont V8's for a very long time.

I am still not confident I'll be able to afford what I want (grecian gold, factory 351) by the time I am 50 and still able to enjoy it. I am 35 now and long for the prices of the late 90's seeing them for under 10k in every unique cars magazine I could get my hands on.

Prices are easily north of 100K for immaculate factory V8 cars, north of 75k for clean V8 swapped cars and over 50k for even a 6 cyl beater that is still running.

Is there anyone who might like to hazard a guess as to when prices will soften enough to bring them back to a realistic classic car option? Is it a generational thing? will the early falcon stuff lose popularity as the current owners age and lose interest? Or will the values just keep rising?
I think the prices on 60-70's Aussie stuff has pretty much peaked.... can understand the attraction, but having owned a number of those popular types, i couldnt bring myself to pay whats wanted.
Way better value & scope for investment with the right choice-guess American muscle IMO. Not to mention more unique.
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #395
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
I think the prices on 60-70's Aussie stuff has pretty much peaked.... can understand the attraction, but having owned a number of those popular types, i couldnt bring myself to pay whats wanted.
Way better value & scope for investment with the right choice-guess American muscle IMO. Not to mention more unique.
I'm very suspect on cars as 'investments' - surely shares/properties are better options than cars.

Buy an oldskool car because you like driving/owning oldskool cars, I feel trying to make money from it is a dodgy move.
Old 26-06-2021, 04:07 PM   #396
hayseed

Quote:
I'm very suspect on cars as 'investments' - surely shares/properties are better options than cars.

Buy an oldskool car because you like driving/owning oldskool cars, I feel trying to make money from it is a dodgy move.
Me Too.....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #397
HIPO
Al

Quote:

Did ok with my last one, 25 percent profit after 6yrs of enjoyment.
Although i didnt buy it strictly as an investment, it can be a nice bonus.
Old 26-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #398
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Did ok with my last one, 25 percent profit after 6yrs of enjoyment.
Although i didnt buy it strictly as an investment, it can be a nice bonus.
If you invested the same money in property it likely would have returned more than 25%

Cars are liabilities not assets.
Old 26-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #399
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
If you invested the same money in property it likely would have returned more than 25%
thanks, have noticed that.

obviously the one in question wasnt.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-06-2021, 09:37 PM   #400
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

appreciating liability

anyways once they get to silly prices, the fun in owning one lessens somewhat. You are careful of where you park it, etc... back when you bought it for 5K or so, that stuff didn't matter so much.

I find I look back to the cheaper price range and look for character... but no new buys as RE is now too expensive to store more of them lol
Old 05-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #401
BossRoss315

Cars are for our enjoyment, cruising, racing (on the track ;-), tinkering, detailing (as sick as that may sound, I enjoy cleaning my car, not too often though), brings sections of society together regardless of socioeconomic boundaries, bonding with the next generation......an investment it definitely is not. Don't get me wrong, those that seized on the opportunity to buy a collectible at a good price....good on ya. Just don't forget to drive it, spank it occasionally, otherwise what's the point? Hold it, wash it, store it, strole it, pay rego and not get to spank it? I'll pass
BossRoss315 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #402
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

Love it when people talk about property returns...I take it that is capital and doesnt include rates, insurances, maintenance, realestate agent fees etc

You can make money off flipping anything, just be honest to yourself though.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #403
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Love it when people talk about property returns...I take it that is capital and doesnt include rates, insurances, maintenance, realestate agent fees etc

You can make money off flipping anything, just be honest to yourself though.
If it's tenanted, rent will cover most fees.

Cars also have costs.

I wasn't saying you can't make money on cars. Simply that the return on real estate over the same time frame will be more.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #404
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I was talking to a mate yesterday night. House across the road from him sold around March, $1,5M. Buyers changed their minds and it was just re-sold at $1,95M. Even with CGT I see a profit being turned. I honestly can’t see the same level of effort/return on cars over such a timeframe, for such an outlay.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #405
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I was talking to a mate yesterday night. House across the road from him sold around March, $1,5M. Buyers changed their minds and it was just re-sold at $1,95M. Even with CGT I see a profit being turned. I honestly can’t see the same level of effort/return on cars over such a timeframe, for such an outlay.
Id say RE is a bit "safer", but I can give as many horror stories as I people can about making capital gains on property..and not once has the person spouting gains on RE every outlined costs, they just tell you the good stuff.

Same goes for cars, if you can read markets and see trends, for example, anything 90's Japanese has increased by some margin, FD RX7's that were $25k 2-3 years ago are now $50-70k...if thats what they sell for, plenty of other examples.

Quote:
If it's tenanted, rent will cover most fees.

Cars also have costs.

I wasn't saying you can't make money on cars. Simply that the return on real estate over the same time frame will be more.
So is it not running at a loss then, and once you sell you should calculate those losses over time to see if indeed you have made anything at all?

RE for sure has been a stable for Australians, personally I think its a dirty industry but there are plenty that have made good coin off it (Boomers in particular)...surely its not sustainable.

If only people invested with such vigor in assets that grow the economy and make jobs...
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #406
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've been looking at values on PH Ford Courier or a Mazda Bravo B2600 twins - absolute drug money for petrol 4 cylinder variations - $10K?
Old 24-07-2021, 11:27 PM   #407
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just thought I'd add to this thread.
Sold my petrol auto 80 series LandCruiser for 17500, no roadworthy or reg (paid 3k 18 months ago), and my 1980 6cyl f350 for 24k no roadworthy or reg (paid 7k 12 months ago).
Both super easy sales, a week on gumtree. Both sold last week.

Goes to show, people are paying the stupid prices right now so if you're on the fence about getting rid of something, in my opinion they won't stay this high much longer so cash in!
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2021, 11:28 PM   #408
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Just thought I'd add to this thread.
Sold my petrol auto 80 series LandCruiser for 17500, no roadworthy or reg (paid 3k 18 months ago), and my 1980 6cyl f350 for 24k no roadworthy or reg (paid 7k 12 months ago).
Both super easy sales, a week on gumtree. Both sold last week.

Goes to show, people are paying the stupid prices right now so if you're on the fence about getting rid of something, in my opinion they won't stay this high much longer so cash in!
I saw that F350 for sale, was it orange by any chance? Had it listed for around $20K, then it went up to $30K, good to see you got $24K for it

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6972025/?Cr=0

Should chuck the Lebonator up on carsales for $750,000 - has a HSV sticker on it
4 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #409
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My past month:

- I sold a well modified CV8 on the *WOVR* for $71k - I was asking 42k last year and couldn't sell it.

- I bought a HQ 4dr Monaro I thought I payed way too much for at $95K. I just sold it for $125k. I had it for 2 weeks and people messaging me offers everytime I'd share a photo on social media.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #410
Swordie

Sold 9th Jun 21 for $130K - 1992 Landcruiser GXL HDJ80 Turbo Diesel Manual with 446,793kms.

https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-34901...wagon?spr=true

I can't understand why so much. This is the most surprising price I have seen.

Last edited by Swordie; 25-07-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2021, 10:06 AM   #411
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Sold 9th Jun 21 for $130K - 1992 Landcruiser GXL HDJ80 Turbo Diesel Manual with 446,793kms.

If you keep an eye out you will probably see it relisted somewhere. I've noticed a couple even on Shannons auctions being relisted after being sold.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2021, 02:09 PM   #412
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I saw that F350 for sale, was it orange by any chance? Had it listed for around $20K, then it went up to $30K, good to see you got $24K for it

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6972025/?Cr=0

Should chuck the Lebonator up on carsales for $750,000 - has a HSV sticker on it
That's the one, and would you believe I had more interest when it was at 30k. My reasoning was I had people bartering me down to 16k endlessly. Put another 10k on it and ended up with way more hahahaha.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #413
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post

That is surely a mistake. It makes much more sense if it went for 100k less.
I've seen 105 and 100 Saharas at yards for 60-80k, but they have the FTE motor and full options. To me, that's reasonable.
Something like that, on a good day should really only get to 40k absolute max.
130k gets a 200 Sahara out of the showroom.. or a 300 if you want to wait.
Old 25-07-2021, 02:31 PM   #414
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
That's the one, and would you believe I had more interest when it was at 30k. My reasoning was I had people bartering me down to 16k endlessly. Put another 10k on it and ended up with way more hahahaha.
Haha thats the oldest trick in the book - you don't advertise a car at around what you want, you advertise it at inflated pricing then 'negotiate' downwards

I notice that F350 seems to be much better value for money compared to F100/F150, F350 seem to change hands for less spondoolies than their light duty equivalents.

There's a GMT400 GMC Sierra 3500 for sale in NSW at the moment at a reasonable price that has caught my eye, ex ambulance, been converted to tray back.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #415
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Comparatively poor performance by older Rolls/Bentley models over the last three years. Still on my “wouldn’t mind one” list, either an hydraulic front end ‘67 or a later Silver Spirit.

I feel more regret at not buying a Ferrari 400i and upgrading it with a GV overdrive plus modern EFI, now they are probably sacred cows and the prices are well out of reach.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 11:06 PM   #416
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
If you keep an eye out you will probably see it relisted somewhere. I've noticed a couple even on Shannons auctions being relisted after being sold.
Holden and HSV prices have been going insane. Mate bought a 2005 VZ CV8 Monaro for 18k 4 years ago, just sold it for 75k. My old 2008 VE LS3 Clubsport I sold for 32k 3 years ago just sold for 53k.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:36 PM   #417
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Comparatively poor performance by older Rolls/Bentley models over the last three years. Still on my “wouldn’t mind one” list, either an hydraulic front end ‘67 or a later Silver Spirit.

I feel more regret at not buying a Ferrari 400i and upgrading it with a GV overdrive plus modern EFI, now they are probably sacred cows and the prices are well out of reach.
I'd love a Bentley Turbo R - it's the only British car I'd ever own - massive luxo barge.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-7236019

Maybe an XJS12 Coupe, they're wicked looking cars too.

I saw a 400i that needed engine reco change hands really cheap a couple years ago - 2015, went for sub $30K.

It still ran it just blew a bit of smoke,
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 11:50 PM   #418
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Think I’m “car’d out” at present, next purchase probably a car float to facilitate dragging more home progressing the projects.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:22 AM   #419
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Holden and HSV prices have been going insane. Mate bought a 2005 VZ CV8 Monaro for 18k 4 years ago, just sold it for 75k. My old 2008 VE LS3 Clubsport I sold for 32k 3 years ago just sold for 53k.
Bought my FG2 XR6T ute for 19500 middle of '19. Sold it for 27k in Nov '20. Bloke who bought it traded it in for 28k last month. Car yard had it up for 36k, sold within days. Must have got asking price. Almost went double what I paid 2 years ago with 20,000km extra on top. Ridiculous.
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #420
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
Also have you noticed used car dealers offering a contactless buying experience? Ha... So you expect someone to buy without an inspection? Do they think people were born yesterday? To sell their lemons

Used cars have so many variables, the seller sees the damage on the back door as a unavoidable nothing ding, the buyer sees it as a $2000 fix. The seller sees the tyres as good for another two years, the buyer sees them as 90% worn requiring urgent replacement. it's always been buyer beware.. sellers try and oversell, hide all the blemishes and oil leaks, buyers have to flush out the seedy gearbox, clunking diff and burning oil.

Years back dealers would never talk to you on the phone if you made an offer, it was always come to the yard and then we talk.. now they wanna talk by phone?? Ha..

You can't buy a used car contactless, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.. you must Inspect the car
lol, contactless does not mean you don't get to see, inspect or drive the vehicle before making an offer. As part of "contactless" many will deliver the car to your home and then disinfect all door handles and switch-gear etc for you to then test drive and inspect (which agreed does seem silly and no different to you going to the dealer to test-drive a sterilised car)

Aussie V8s, XR6T's / G6ET's, and utes are still going gang-busters, but prices of the "regular" stuff seems to be softening a bit over the last month based on watching auctions and also seeing stuff not selling on Carsales and Gumtree etc

Last edited by Mulva; 02-08-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: