Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Are ICE uncool, EV cool with Millennials and Gen-Z ????

So ... at a family gathering on Boxing Day at one point I was sitting around with nephews and nieces (ages 17 to 33). Just having a chat and catching up with them. Lots of chat about computer games, uni, work, etc.

And then at one point the conversation in the group turned to cars. One of the nephews had just bought an i30 (sensible given his needs). Another nephew pipped up that he was saving up for a Tesla. Then two others mentioned they wanted a Tesla as their next car. And then the conversation went in the general consensus that an EV would be their next car.

Maybe this was all wishful thinking in the group of Millennials and Gen-Z. But it got me thinking. When I was their age, what I really wanted was a V8 Falcon with all of the fruit. However, the car of desire for the next generation is, apparently, a Tesla???????

If this group of nephews and nieces is anywhere near a representative sample of future buying habits, the traditional ICE manufacturers have some serious pivoting to do.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Are ICE uncool, EV cool with Millennials and Gen-Z ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
So ... at a family gathering on Boxing Day at one point I was sitting around with nephews and nieces (ages 17 to 33). Just having a chat and catching up with them. Lots of chat about computer games, uni, work, etc.

And then at one point the conversation in the group turned to cars. One of the nephews had just bought an i30 (sensible given his needs). Another nephew pipped up that he was saving up for a Tesla. Then two others mentioned they wanted a Tesla as their next car. And then the conversation went in the general consensus that an EV would be their next car.

Maybe this was all wishful thinking in the group of Millennials and Gen-Z. But it got me thinking. When I was their age, what I really wanted was a V8 Falcon with all of the fruit. However, the car of desire for the next generation is, apparently, a Tesla???????

If this group of nephews and nieces is anywhere near a representative sample of future buying habits, the traditional ICE manufacturers have some serious pivoting to do.
The days of kids pining for an 8 cylinder car are long over - P plate vehicle restrictions pretty much took it away from younger kids for the past circa 15 years.

Now it's back to power to weight ratio in VIC but the damage has been done.

What's attractive to modern young adults is something with all the fruit with electronic gadgetry, Tesla's are chock full of this stuff and Elon Musk is a bit of an eccentric character who leverages social media to the hilt.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

When you mentioned V8, did they make a face like grandpa farted again?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From all the young ones I know im actually shocked at how many are not interested in electric cars and teslas specifically as there for " old rich guys " as they say. They all want 4wd's, jdm stuff or au falcon skid pigs.

The other area to watch is the younger youtube car channels. There is still a lot of love for the humble ice vehicle and the ones I see with teslas treat them as a bit of a sideshow freak, just something they take their mates in for a few pulls then they go in the corner and you never see them again. I guess the problem with teslas and making money from " youtube content " is you cant really modify them like they can with a traditional ice vehicle.

I honestly don't think its all doom and gloom from the younger ones, go to a car show and there is still heaps of young people enjoying some good old fashioned ice propelled transportation.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The days of kids pining for an 8 cylinder car are long over - P plate vehicle restrictions pretty much took it away from younger kids for the past circa 15 years.

Now it's back to power to weight ratio in VIC but the damage has been done.

What's attractive to modern young adults is something with all the fruit with electronic gadgetry, Tesla's are chock full of this stuff and Elon Musk is a bit of an eccentric character who leverages social media to the hilt.
Makes you wonder if tesla’s are banned for p platers?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Not much in the V8 range these days but there is plenty of rev heads and bogans still getting around bagging up on the roads with their s*** heaps.

Have not come across any young ones wanting electrics; mostly Indians I see with hybrids & EV's.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Makes you wonder if tesla’s are banned for p platers?
Banned in VIC, NSW, QLD and SA

But approved in TAS, NT, WA and ACT

I assume the ones it's banned in have other vehicle restrictions for P platers and the ones it's not banned in don't.
Old 29-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

may be something of a red herring, but I was looking over a friends TESLA and was surprised at the number of power leads he carries. 'this one connects me to the battery at home, this one for the charger at the garage at work, this one for the charger...' all with different fittings.
Is that usual? took up a bit of space as well. cool factor? pulling out 5 different leads until one fits the plug? not as cool as pumping your own fuel...lol
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
may be something of a red herring, but I was looking over a friends TESLA and was surprised at the number of power leads he carries. 'this one connects me to the battery at home, this one for the charger at the garage at work, this one for the charger...' all with different fittings.
Is that usual? took up a bit of space as well. cool factor? pulling out 5 different leads until one fits the plug? not as cool as pumping your own fuel...lol
I've got jumper leads and various toolkits in all my cars and diagnostic scanners in two of them, but that's probably more because all my cars are ****boxes
Old 29-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #10
DTFRMONT

The Euro brands (BMW/Audi/VW/MB) are also popular with the younger crowd, especially as used examples are much more accessible than in the past. V8's are seen as Boomer/Gen X cars.

As others have said, 4WD's are popular, especially with COVID disrupting the traditional overseas & interstate backpacking trips, and gap years are almost a thing of the past ATM.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #11
nitro50th

Over the Christmas break, my nieces partner showed interest in my XD 351 and was keen to go for a spin. Thought it was great.

He was also keen to show me his Focus RS, and mentioned his desire to one day buy an early 80's Porsche to tidy up into a week-ender.

He may be outside the norm, but I'm sure there are still younger generation kids out there that are interested in older cars.
05 BF XR6
10 FG XR50

Present:
81 XD Falcon 351.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #12
jgmdat

All is not lost, today I saw two XP Falcon's being driven by blokes in their late 20's.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2021, 07:28 PM   #13
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

they sound like they are not into cars and also realistic to what is coming.

im 34, massively into cars, im also building a new garage next year and will provide enough power to it or ev charging

out of friends i have outside of the car world i only have 2 that are into cars and one who thinks they are.

normally im asked what car do i recommend like a rav 4, then i give better options like skoda octavia rs, they then want to show me the rav 4 that they just bought
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2021, 09:13 PM   #14
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are several different EV charging plugs, they haven't standarised yet. There are even different leads for normal charging & rapid charging on the same car.

Also as usual The US, Euros, Japanese or Koreans don't talk to each other yet.

One of my customers has 2 Teslas, one several years old & one relatively new model. He liked how the new one charged so quickly with its new cable, so he went to Tesla to purchase a new rapid charging cable for his older car. I believe that the new cable was soooo expensive (4 figures) he delayed its purchase.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2021, 09:24 PM   #15
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:

I’m in the country and every young male drives a modded 79 series. There’s simply no inferstructure to charge EV’s here. There’s one public charger in town and I see a few Teslas and the odd Merc charging there. They’re always there for hours and always driven by middle age folk. One bloke I talked to was tired of waiting and was going to get his Troopie so he could carry on his journey.
The one customer we have with an EV absolutely loves it. She has a lot of solar so pretty much drives for free. Where she lives there is zero charging stations so she certainly needs to be organised.
Interestingly it takes 4 days to charge from a standard 10 amp domestic power point.
Looking at the holiday traffic the demand for EV’s should be low. There is thousands of 4wd’s and most are towing huge caravans or boats and loaded to the hilt.
Sure sure the F150 lightning could do that and I’m sure someone will mention the Rivian(which will never arrive). But they won’t be here any time soon, if at all.
If you look at what motivates people to buy new cars it certainly isn’t the false belief in emitting zero emissions.
People now buy new cars because they want their phone to pair to it. Or the want room for their dog. Or they want to tow their 3 tonne van around and go touring.
In 25 years in the automotive industry nobody has ever asked me how much co2 a car generates. Ever.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 12:10 AM   #16
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not just the "young" ones. Even some of my mates, in their late 30s, who were formerly passionate V8 people, have gone off them. They are now going on and on about their small capacity, fuel efficient, force inducted, putt putt machines, and how they can keep up with V8s on their 0-60kmh runs and pay a fraction of the fuel cost. EVs will be the next logical step for these people.

Times change. What people read, see and hear influences their daily decision making.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #17
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I appreciate EV cars ill be honest.
But i have no interest in buying one, not to mention where i live theres little to no infrastructure to charge them.
With the possibility of building a house with in the next few years, there will be space for a couple of extra cars, none will be EV.
Id rather spend 65k (if im lucky) on an F6 than a Model 3
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 35 and have no desire to own an EV. You watched the races on the weekend and talked **** about it on Monday That is what I grew up around and still want a V8.

I'm guessing that would be almost non-existent in school these days as will be the new Commodore or Falcon models which meant the older ones filtered down.

I don't recall many if any getting new/near new cars when I got my Ps in 2003 like I see now.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #19
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Electric cars really haven’t arrived in Australia just yet. Sure Tesla has been around a few years but they’re a bit of an oddball. They have virtually zero dealer network and to me only make sense in our major cities.

But this will change in the next few years. All the big players will start landing real drivable electric cars and more and more chargers will get rolled out. With brands like Kia, Hyundai, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche and hopefully Ford bringing new EV’s they will become real alternatives to ice cars.
So in 5 years time there probably will be some cool EV’s that many younger drivers will want to be seen in.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #20
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Electric cars really haven’t arrived in Australia just yet. Sure Tesla has been around a few years but they’re a bit of an oddball. They have virtually zero dealer network and to me only make sense in our major cities.

But this will change in the next few years. All the big players will start landing real drivable electric cars and more and more chargers will get rolled out. With brands like Kia, Hyundai, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche and hopefully Ford bringing new EV’s they will become real alternatives to ice cars.
So in 5 years time there probably will be some cool EV’s that many younger drivers will want to be seen in.
Until you have supporting infrastructure where EV's can go anywhere in Oz they will be limited to a small market no matter how much the car manufacturers push these type of vehicles, ICE vehicles will be still around for a long time if any hybrids will be filling the gap.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2021, 01:24 PM   #21
Pooka
Shapeshifter

Tesla reminds me of when Apple released their i-Pod and i-Phone in the early 2000's. A s**t product that gained popularity by peer pressure. A popularity contest even. The young n' dumb at the time believed that they had to have it to be "popular", or to be in with the "cool" people. Same with Tesla now.

With the i-Pod and i-Phones, there was (and still are) much, much better comparable products, and generally at a lower price too. But the "I'm so cool because I have one and you don't" perception, really sucked people in. And it still does.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for EV's taking over from ICE. But there is, and soon will be even better choices than Tesla for an EV.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #22
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I think this thread is the only place I have ever seen the words 'cool' and 'drive a TESLA' in the same sentence
6 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #23
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think this thread is the only place I have ever seen the words 'cool' and 'drive a TESLA' in the same sentence
Ever been in a Tesla though? They are pretty cool I must admit. The acceleration is annoying....annoyingly good. The most amazing gadget I found was that it could see the bins put out on the nature strips at night, and show it to you on the screen.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 02:42 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Further to my comment.

Will, say in 10 years or so. Will govco make it hard to own said F6, ie will they make owners have something EV etc to counteract having the F6 as well. Kinda like they do to manufacturers having to have EV or low emissions cars made too (correct me if im wrong) or do they already do something like this?
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 30-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #25
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am 29. I have driven a Tesla and love it for the crazy driving experience (absolute instant power) and the technology. I wouldn’t however buy it as a status symbol or for being “green”. I would buy it because I like it and would park it next to a v8 mustang. One can dream
Old 30-12-2021, 03:50 PM   #26
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Further to my comment.

Will, say in 10 years or so. Will govco make it hard to own said F6, ie will they make owners have something EV etc to counteract having the F6 as well. Kinda like they do to manufacturers having to have EV or low emissions cars made too (correct me if im wrong) or do they already do something like this?
Have a look at what they are planning to do in the UK. Basically tax ICE (and create extra charges) into non existance.

Rides (past and present)

Old 30-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #27
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Further to my comment.

People always quote the magical 10 year figure as it's far enough in the future for them to not have to consider change from what they are comfortable with.
We've had people on here previously call Musk a 'Snake Oil Salesman' and claim Tesla was going to go broke very soon.
Reality now is that Tesla is going gangbusters and leading the way by completely rewriting the rule book.
We can act like adults and have a real discussion or act like children and call those who like Teslas 'fanbois' or post stupid emojis trying to dismiss and belittle them.

Other car manufacturers are being forced to play catchup as Tesla has truly led the way. Jeremy Clarkson's video with the Model X is a hoot. Of course they aren't every person's cup of tea but it blew the doors off an R8 and the tech is amazing and heaven forbid different.
I admire the free reign that Tesla seems to give its designers and tech people. It results in previously unheard of features being developed, some of which seem to be poking fun at other manufacturers.

To those that say they'd never own a Tesla...really?
Why would you even say that? It seems to reek of insecurity rather than being based on fact.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 04:34 PM   #28
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Further to my comment.

Govco's will use this to say they are offsetting emissions to make them (and Joe average) feel good.
Reminds me of VB beer wanting to buy users solar so they can claim carbon credits, no doubt their next advertising launch can state we are a carbon neutral company not unlike what the freshly defrosted people claim, being carbon neutral by 202?...... and Nescafe claiming carbon neutral by 2022 ???

Talk about BS, lets re arrange the deck chairs scenario.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post

To those that say they'd never own a Tesla...really?
Why would you even say that? It seems to reek of insecurity rather than being based on fact.

Im insecure because i wont own a Tesla. Good one.

I have, at the moment 0 interest in EV cars. It may come to a point where we may have to own an EV to off set the ICE cars we own (or we'll get taxed into oblivion)
Hardly insecure.
I had one blast passed me just yesterday and yeah it was blisteringly quick, it was also very bland.
As for the tech i admire it but does nothing for me. Hell i own an FG falcon, hardly full of tech
- Antz Turboside Intake
7 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 06:33 PM   #30
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Ever been in a Tesla though? They are pretty cool I must admit. The acceleration is annoying....annoyingly good. The most amazing gadget I found was that it could see the bins put out on the nature strips at night, and show it to you on the screen.
yep, a work colleague had the use of one for the weekend. I took it for a long drive. I was surprised how little I used the brake, the car slowed down the instant I lifted off the accelerator.

Still, not my car of choice. still not cool. it was a nice shade of white, as is most.