Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
zabble
AU Fairmont Ghia 5.0l

Default Mechanical advice needed

Just bought my first ford, an AU Fairmont Ghia 5.0l. I bought it pretty cheap and it is a bit rough around the edges, or 'honest', as a salesman might say.
Over time, i plan to do bits and pieces to it, to return it to it's former glory, or at least make it a car that drives and performs well. So, there are a few things i want to achieve but i'm not sure how to achieve them, thats where i need a bit of help. Here is the list of things i would like to achieve.
1. Make it sound like a V8.
2. Improve the handling
3. Improve the braking
4. Increase bhp

At the moment it is idling pretty rough or at least i think it is. It has done 160,000 kms. I'm not sure if this car should have that 'cammy' sort of V8 idle or if it shold be very smooth. Should this be sorted before any other work is done to ncrease power/performance?

Another problem i have noticed is there is a very obvious 'ticking' sort of sound - seems electronic, coming from the left front corner of the engine bay (left if you were sitting in the car, right if you were looking at the car)...i can't hear it while i'm inside the car but standing next to the engine when it is idling, the noise is very obvious.

Also, sounds like the power steering pump is stressed, making quite a bit of noise. Again a sort of ticking sound, then it stops for a while and starts again. - i checked the fluid levels and it is completely full, right up to the cap - could this be an issue - is it overfull? does this cause problems? I checked the manual but it doesn't mention whether there are any fluid level markers on the cap.

I'm not much of a mechanical person but would love to get my hands dirty where possible. Realistically though, i will need a professional to do the work, does anyone know of anyone in Newcastle NSW that they could recommend?

many thanks for taking the time to read this.

cheers, Mitch

zabble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ticking is the charcoal canister-- normal. rough idle i would start with a good set of plugs and maybe leads. if not the idle solinod will need a clean. or replacing
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Power steering reservoir shouldn't be filled to the max. The cap acts as a dipstick and there is markings on it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
zabble
AU Fairmont Ghia 5.0l

thanks guys...

noise 1) i found the dipstick on the cap and now have the levels correct but it doesn't seem to have stopped the clicking sounds coming from the pump itself. The niose stops for about 10 secs and then starts and goes for about 30 secs

The charcoal canister, is that what would be causing the ticking sound in the front left corner ? What is the charcoal canister ?

noise 2) Seems the noise could be coming from within the box marked EEC of which i have no idea about its purpose or function.

loving the car so far, can't wait to get it humming.
zabble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this might sound dumb,
depending on last time of a oil change ?
but drain oil,change filter and fill with a good grade oil,
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tha charcoal cannister filters the fumes from your fuel tank ank has a little solinoid in or around it and thats what ticks. if you take off the plastic inner gaurd lining you will see it and find the noise
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Ironkoala
Starter Motor

My dad is a sales manager at Toyota, Trust me sales people don't look after the cars as well as we as the consumers should/do. nothing would have been serviced/replaced or repaired by the dealership, its very likely that they sold it to you in the very same condition that it arrived in.

So change the oil,filters and all that other stuff when you can get around to it.
Ironkoala is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what can be done to shut the charcoal canister up? im in the process of fixing small things on the AU3 XR8 i bought, like the 2 seized brake caliper guide pins!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM
what can be done to shut the charcoal canister up? im in the process of fixing small things on the AU3 XR8 i bought, like the 2 seized brake caliper guide pins!
Some rubber or foam around the piping going to it - the sounds is the pipe hitting the inside of the front panel in the wheel arch.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Congrats on the buy, the windsors are a great engine and have a lot of gear available for them.

In no particular order I would (if it were mine):

1) Get some new coil packs and leads - mine were stuffed @ 90,000kms - MSD8241 is the part number for MSD coils that are a direct bolt on and better AND cheaper than genuine Ford ones;

2) Lower it - King springs and Whiteline swaybars will make a huge difference to handling. Maybe new shocks if the budget allows.

3) DBA slotted rotors, new pads, full fluid flush and braided brake lines for a cheapish fix to the braking issue.

4) A good catback exhaust system or if you have the coin a set of headers (4 into 1's would be my preference), cats (metal substrate 1-200cpi) and either a single 3" (easily available bolt on job) or a twin 2.5" (will have to be made to suit the car) exhaust.
Old 27-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

b2ft has it pretty sorted, but I would be lowering it first; an AU can look shabby but once lowered for some reason it just looks right.

Ive just recently upgraded my brakes to BA spec, ~$500-600 for parts and labour once done; worth every cent. Not exactly brembo's but so much better than the original spec.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys, ive got most of the stuff done to mine as b2tf said, custom twin exhaust with quad tips,sounds pretty good for just a cats back.

my charcoal canister stoped ticking when i took the air filter out and cleaned it, hasnt ticked since. for some reason
sorry for the thread hijack btw

Last edited by MGM; 28-04-2010 at 10:21 PM.
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post