Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2022, 07:23 PM   #1981
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

P&S Absolute – A New Rinse-less Wash Solution.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...ca25d3e2&_ss=r
https://carcareco.com.au/product/ps-...inseless-wash/
https://autobuff.com.au/products/p-s...0feaf435&_ss=r

P&S Absolute is a ground up new rinse-less wash designed in conjunction with The Rag Company. Absolute is a polymer cleaning solution that encapsulates and then emulsifies dirt “beyond what soap is capable of”. This product can also soften hard water, reducing the chance of water spotting in warmer weather. Absolute can be used to clean paint, plastics, trim, leather, upholstery and glass. It’s safe to use on ceramic coatings, PPF and vinyl wraps.

While its primary role is for rinse-less washing at a 256:1 dilution ratio, Absolute can also be used as a clay lubricant at 128:1 or as quick detailer at 64:1. For interiors or glass cleaning, P&S recommend the 256:1 dilution.

I have covered rinse-less washing technique in previous posts, so here are a couple of key product usage points –

-For rinse-less washing, measure out 7.5 litres of water in a bucket before adding 30ml of Absolute.

-For the pre-soak solution, P&S recommend the same 256:1 dilution. Either mix this up in a bottle or fill up a bottle from your bucket solution. For a 1 litre bottle, add about 4 ml of Absolute. A syringe makes measuring such a small amount easier.

- Absolute has one of the better scents in this category, a subtle Coconut aroma.

-While Absolute produces a slick surface by itself, combined with other P&S products like Paint Gloss, Dream Maker and Bead Maker as a drying aid will make the paint super slick and glossy.

-While Absolute can be used in direct sun, like most detailing products, it’s best used on cool surfaces out of the direct sunlight. The water softening effect does however reduce the risk of hard water spotting.

-Once you have finished washing the exterior, you can soak another towel from the bucket solution to wipe over your interior surfaces.

P&S and The Rag Company have hyped this product quite a bit, promoting it as a “game changer”. Personally, I wouldn’t go that far. It is a very good product, think of it as a new generation of Optimum No Rinse. I can say though that Absolute is better than McKee’s N-914, the current benchmark in this class for many. I certainly feels slicker and doesn’t exhibit the slight “stickiness” that N-914 possesses. I wouldn’t rush out to replace your current rinse-less products with the release of Absolute, but I would certainly recommend giving it a try at some stage.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2022, 10:48 PM   #1982
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Car Care Co are the official local distributor of P&S products. At the moment they are running a sale on "Legacy Label" products, basically a sale on older design packaging.

A few to look at would be -

Brake Buster -
https://carcareco.com.au/product/bra...wheel-cleaner/

Express Interior Cleaner -
https://carcareco.com.au/product/p-s...erior-cleaner/

Bead Maker -
https://carcareco.com.au/product/bea...nt-protectant/

Paint Gloss -
https://carcareco.com.au/product/paint-gloss/

True Vue Glass Cleaner -
https://carcareco.com.au/product/tru-vue-glass-cleaner/

Iron Buster -
https://carcareco.com.au/product/p-s-iron-buster/

Undressed Tyre Cleaner -
https://carcareco.com.au/product/p-s...-wall-cleaner/
Mustang GT

Old 25-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #1983
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gyeon on sale at Repco. https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/gyeon/c/2697668024

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-09-2022, 10:24 PM   #1984
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Another great video by Sandro, this time on waxes that rate highly in Google searches.

Had to have a good laugh at the abysmal results from the Chemical Guys product, certainly don't waste your money on that!

The Mothers California Gold Carnauba Wax was what I would layer up on my Barossa Red Fairmont, so I have a lot nostalgic thoughts with that product. It was always very easy to use, smelled nice during application and made the paint glow.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...05410#start=15

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #1985
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Meguiars D170 Hyper Dressing – Old Faithful.

Meguiars D170 Hyper Dressing is one of those products that has been around for years, and yet it’s one of those products that just does its job without the fanfare of glossy labels and social media hype. I’m not sure how popular this product is in Australia, certainly less so than in the USA. When the raw materials for these sort of products became scarce last year, Hyper Dressing went on back order across most of the US, while in Australia, it remained available. To me, that means it just doesn’t have the reach it does elsewhere, and I think it should!

Hyper Dressing is a water-based dressing that can be used across all non-painted rubber, vinyl and plastic surfaces. Think tyres, engine bay plastics, wheel arch liners, black exterior trims and interior plastics. Hyper Dressing is from Meguiars Detailer Range, meaning it has traditionally come in gallon size bottles, however it has recently been added to their RTU Detailer line in a more manageable 946ml form. While these are the same product, there is a key difference between the two.

The Detailer size gallon of Hyper Dressing is the product in undiluted form. This allows a detailer to tailor the product to cover a wide variety of uses. For a pro, this means they can cover a lot of ground with the one product mixed into use for tyres, exterior trim, engines bays and interior dressing. Value for money in other words.
https://autopartsguys.com.au/shop/me...CABEgKsufD_BwE

The RTU form of Hyper Dressing is just that, pre-diluted and ready to go. Meguiars nominated a 1:1 ratio for the RTU form and is probably best suited to hobbyists, as a gallon of the product will likely go bad before you would get a chance to use it all.
https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...SABEgKCE_D_BwE

As mentioned, the beauty of D170 is its ability to be tailored to specific areas or taste. In undiluted form and even at 1:1, Hyper Dressing is very glossy. But when watered down, the finish left behind is a very natural, OE look. These are the recommended dilution ratios from Meguiars –

High Gloss – 1:1
Medium Gloss – 2:1
Satin Finish – 3:1
Natural Finish – 4:1

So, where and when to use Hyper Dressing? Firstly, while it can be used on interiors, I think there are more suitable products on the market for that. Although, the scent of D170 would be quite pleasing in an interior, think very old-school cherry scented detailing products.

My key role for Hyper Dressing is for use on engine bay plastics, and when diluted down to 3 or 4:1, D170 leaves such a nice finish. I have described this process a few times, but all you have to do is clean the engine bay and while still wet, mist the engine bay with Hyper Dressing, drop the bonnet and you are done. As the product dries, it self-levels down and generally requires little to no follow up wiping, making it the easiest way to make an engine bay look like new. I actually prefer Hyper Dressing over the newer and heavily marketed Koch Chemie Motorplast.

I also use Hyper Dressing for refreshing plastic wheel arch liners, using the same 4:1 dilution that I use on engine bays. For this job, D170 again just adds a layer of richness to the plastic rather than making it glossy and slick. Once again, the self-leveling aspect comes in handy here, simply spray and walk away.

For tyres, it’s probably best diluted to at least 1:1 otherwise the finish will be very glossy. Nothing wrong with that if that’s what you like, and I occasionally have a bit of fun using D170 undiluted on my Ranger’s tyres. Again, when diluted down to 3 or 4:1, the finish is much more natural and enhances the rubber rather than making it shine.

This is before and after when diluted at 4:1 -

This is at full strength/undiluted, as you can see it's very glossy in this form -

You can of course also use Hyper Dressing to revive faded black exterior trims, although being water based, the effect will not last very long. Again, I think there are better trim dressings/restorers on the market.

I may have also used Hyper Dressing to make my spare wheel look a little more presentable........................

While there are countless plastic and rubber dressings on the market, Meguiar's D170 Hyper Dressing would be right up there with the very best, if not the best for engine bays. Worth having in the cabinet for sure.
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #1986
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Anyone used anything from Chemical Guys that is good? Supercrap have 30% off so I wouldn't mind trying something different.
Old 30-09-2022, 03:15 PM   #1987
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Anyone used anything from Chemical Guys that is good? Supercrap have 30% off so I wouldn't mind trying something different.
I use their Silk Shine dressing.

Was put on to it by Dave from Obsession detailing, who used to be on these forums when he Opticoated my XR8 way back when I bought it.

Given the development in the industry, I don't know how it compares to the any newer products, but I still like the results it provides.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2022, 05:17 PM   #1988
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I use their Silk Shine dressing.

Was put on to it by Dave from Obsession detailing, who used to be on these forums when he Opticoated my XR8 way back when I bought it.

Given the development in the industry, I don't know how it compares to the any newer products, but I still like the results it provides.
I remember Dave, he helped me so much when I was starting to detail, he also corrected my old VY Clubsport. Wonder what he's up to these day and if he's still doing chauffer driving.
Old 30-09-2022, 07:11 PM   #1989
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I bought a selection of Chemical Guys products a few years ago to see what they were like. Put it this way, I have not ordered a single thing from them again. In fact, all have been given away, thrown away or hiding at the back of the cabinet unused.

The Bare Bones I got for dressing wheel arch liners. I used it once and immediately regretted it owing to the oily appearance and subsequent dust attraction.

The New Car Scent was ok, very chemical smelling though.

The Mat Renew would have to be one of the worst car care products I have ever used, absolute garbage! While it lathered up very well, it did not actually offer any cleaning ability whatsoever, nor did it make the makes look like new like it says on the bottle. I had great pleasure throwing that in the trash!

The only product I liked was VRP, probably their best product, but then I haven't me many tyre dressings I didn't like. Smelt nice, gave even coverage, looked great. Didn't last long though, a Chemical Guys thing to be honest.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...gid=SCA8001931

While I have not used them, I am led to believe that their soaps are pretty good.

I wrote this reply on another (American) forum, which I suspect I may offended a few of the good-old-boys who love to be patriotic about the brands made in their country. I don't care, when you have tried as many detailing brands as I do with an open mind, well, I know what the story is:

"Readers, please don' take this as an insult or directed at anyone in particular, I LOVE detailing products and use MANY different brands, so these comments are in line with my natural analytical thought process.

Chemical Guys have a very strong marketing system that equates to the MORE IS MORE method of creating a product line up. Put simply, they have far too many products that do the same thing. In theory, this means if one particular product doesn't entice, chances are they will have several alternatives that do a similar thing, potentially keeping buyers in the brand. From my perspective, don't offer me 10 different tire dressings, just give me your BEST product.

Also, this is a brand that is designed to be very approachable and user friendly. Nothing wrong with that, if it gives people the confidence to work on their car, then all good. But the tradeoff is longevity and ultimate results are reduced.

One thing I have found common with the use of Chemical Guys are the comments along the lines of "they don't last long". This means two things: One, the products are designed to be easy to use to suit all abilities at the expense of durability. Two, a product that doesn't last long needs to be topped up or used more often, meaning it needs to be purchased more often.

At the end of the day, if someone is using a Chemical Guys product and likes the results, then that is all that matters. I have used Chemical Guys products, the only one I liked was VRP dressing. However, the subject of the thread is what is the BEST tire dressing, and VRP is certainly not the best.

So, short answer, don't waste your money on them mate.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #1990
jgmdat

I got two bottles of Chemical Guys Diablo wheel cleaner when it was on special once, still have one in the cupboard. As a wheel cleaner I found it as useless as a chocolate teapot.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2022, 07:37 PM   #1991
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

The latest catalogue from not-so-cheap proudly proclaimed chemical guys as exclusive to them.

Given your experience, dfb, probably an unsurprising match.

Will stick to Bowden's own, thanks.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2022, 07:46 PM   #1992
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...6l/622284.html

Speaking of supercheap I went in today to get some more car wash and found the above. Interesting concept with two reservoirs to induce some protection just from washing. I did read some reviews. Common reports were that the wash component wasn't very good but the Sio2 coating did work. Couldnt find reports on how long it lasted though.

I did not buy it, didn't feel like spending $50+ for some car wash.
Old 30-09-2022, 07:49 PM   #1993
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
The latest catalogue from not-so-cheap proudly proclaimed chemical guys as exclusive to them.

Given your experience, dfb, probably an unsurprising match.

Will stick to Bowden's own, thanks.
When Chemical Guys was picked up by Supercheap Auto, I actually questioned that "exclusivity" to SCA. At the time, The Detail Store and AutoFX were also stocking the brand. Clearly, The Detail Store ran out their stock and didn't recommit, replacing the brand with Koch Chemie and Gyeon -

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle.../chemical-guys

AutoFX still list products available, although that could be old stock too -

https://shop.autofxwa.com.au/search?q=chemical+guys

Auto Megastore also sell CG products -

https://www.automegastore.com.au/brands/chemical-guys

So I really don't know where Supercheap's exclusivity claim comes from.
Mustang GT

Old 01-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #1994
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post

Speaking of supercheap I went in today to get some more car wash and found the above. Interesting concept with two reservoirs to induce some protection just from washing. I did read some reviews. Common reports were that the wash component wasn't very good but the Sio2 coating did work. Couldnt find reports on how long it lasted though.

I did, for my new Everest. Clayed, washed then coat with Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax. Result? I think it's a big disappointment, considering the hype. I got better results on my Ranger, with NXT wash, then NXT wax, followed by Hybrid Ceramic Wax. The detergent does not foam up on the surface, like others, and does not seem to clean as well as other Megs products. I wont buy it again.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:00 PM   #1995
prydey
Rob

Car wash day today. First time in a while but still restricted by surgery recovery. Just means being careful about bending etc, however I am improving so thought I'd test myself to some car cleaning therapy.

It nearly ended before it began. Flying ants everywhere around my front lawn where I normally wash cars. Persevered for a while but it was crazy how many there were. Gave up and moved to my drive. Still got the odd few landing in my way bucket or on the car but what can you do.

So, brake buster first up on tyres and wheels. Normally I'd just do the tyres with it but trying to minimise how much bending I do, so just the one product on the wheels. Scrubbed them down with little chubby and then pressure cleaned off.

Then snow foam with NV Snow and rinse. Then 2 bucket wash with Carpro reset. I bought this some time ago but this was my first time using it as a hand wash from a bucket. Hard to improve on NV snow, but I think Carpro Reset actually does. I was very impressed with the lubricity of it most notably. Just glides over the paint. Super slick.

I don't have a blower so just dry it off with 'the gauntlet' drying towel. Door jambs etc with a smaller version of the same.

Tyres got treated with Carpro Perl, undiluted.

Then all the black plastic exterior trim around wheel arches and bottom of doors I used 303 cleaner. Did the door cards and kick panels while I was at it. I do plan on getting a different product for these in the future although the 303 cleaner worked fine. Maybe the protection version or something from Carpro like InnerQD.

Finished off with Carpro clarify on the glass with bowdens Intamitt.

A long day when you're nursing an injury but was nice to be out in the sun washing the car.

One thing I will mention, the brake buster left a residue on the rims that I had to wipe off. I normally only use it on the tyres just every now and then when they start getting discoloured so I think I'll stick to that in future, even though it says it's a wheel cleaner.

I did plan on doing both cars but after doing the wife's car I called it a day. My back could take no more.

A gratuitous pic

I may have mentioned this before, but I'm so glad I finally bought the 10m extension hose for the karcher. Having over 14m of hose is awesome. Just need to get some tyre things now to stop it getting caught as I go around the car.

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:04 PM   #1996
prydey
Rob

One further thing. The car was ceramic coated when new. The paint is a pearl colour. It looks great, especially in the sun however it doesn't really jump at you as far as gloss level goes.

Can I use a 'topper' on the ceramic coating to boost the gloss level?
Old 01-10-2022, 07:11 PM   #1997
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
I did, for my new Everest. Clayed, washed then coat with Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax. Result? I think it's a big disappointment, considering the hype. I got better results on my Ranger, with NXT wash, then NXT wax, followed by Hybrid Ceramic Wax. The detergent does not foam up on the surface, like others, and does not seem to clean as well as other Megs products. I wont buy it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz

This is why I prefer a soap to be a soap rather than attempting to combine the two. The result ends up being a compromise between having enough cleaning ability at the same time as delivering an element of protection.

I remember using Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax on my Ranger for a period of time. In the end, I stopped using it because it lacked cleaning ability and left a film on the glass.

The only other similar product I have bought is Koch Chemie Nano Magic Shampoo. Except, I haven't even used it yet. The cars that will benefit most from a soap like this are always filthy when it's time for a wash, as such I need the capability of a regular soap in these situations. My own cars are so protected that I simply don't need to be adding more protection via the soap. So who are these soaps for then?

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...-shampoo-750ml

Since the use of drying aids, especially the Sio2 ones, I don't see the point in wash and waxes anymore.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2022, 08:22 PM   #1998
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
One further thing. The car was ceramic coated when new. The paint is a pearl colour. It looks great, especially in the sun however it doesn't really jump at you as far as gloss level goes.

Can I use a 'topper' on the ceramic coating to boost the gloss level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Car wash day today. First time in a while but still restricted by surgery recovery. Just means being careful about bending etc, however I am improving so thought I'd test myself to some car cleaning therapy.

It nearly ended before it began. Flying ants everywhere around my front lawn where I normally wash cars. Persevered for a while but it was crazy how many there were. Gave up and moved to my drive. Still got the odd few landing in my way bucket or on the car but what can you do.

So, brake buster first up on tyres and wheels. Normally I'd just do the tyres with it but trying to minimise how much bending I do, so just the one product on the wheels. Scrubbed them down with little chubby and then pressure cleaned off.

Then snow foam with NV Snow and rinse. Then 2 bucket wash with Carpro reset. I bought this some time ago but this was my first time using it as a hand wash from a bucket. Hard to improve on NV snow, but I think Carpro Reset actually does. I was very impressed with the lubricity of it most notably. Just glides over the paint. Super slick.

I don't have a blower so just dry it off with 'the gauntlet' drying towel. Door jambs etc with a smaller version of the same.

Then all the black plastic exterior trim around wheel arches and bottom of doors I used 303 cleaner. Did the door cards and kick panels while I was at it. I do plan on getting a different product for these in the future although the 303 cleaner worked fine. Maybe the protection version or something from Carpro like InnerQD.

A long day when you're nursing an injury but was nice to be out in the sun washing the car.

One thing I will mention, the brake buster left a residue on the rims that I had to wipe off. I normally only use it on the tyres just every now and then when they start getting discoloured so I think I'll stick to that in future, even though it says it's a wheel cleaner.

I did plan on doing both cars but after doing the wife's car I called it a day. My back could take no more.

A gratuitous pic

I may have mentioned this before, but I'm so glad I finally bought the 10m extension hose for the karcher. Having over 14m of hose is awesome. Just need to get some tyre things now to stop it getting caught as I go around the car.

Thanks for reading.
You did good! I remember after my surgery being so depressed not being able to just go and do something that made me so happy.

I have not noticed that issue with Brake Buster. The product does have a rust inhibitor built into it, perhaps that was what you were seeing, although you really shouldn't.

I keep trying different soaps in vein, Reset is truly one of the benchmark soaps, if not THE benchmark. As you have discovered, while it's only incrementally better than Snow, it is enough to tell, especially in slickness. How did you like the scent?

For the interior product, I have largely stopped using a dressing on interior plastics. When I do, I like 303 Protectant because it levels so nicely without looking like an oil slick.

For cleaning an interior, as in it has actually been used as a car , I love using P&S Express. Cleans great, lathers great, smells great. For me, Express was one of those WOW moments in trying all these detailing products.

For quick interior cleaning, as in you are basically dusting and removing a smudge here and there, I have three go-to's; Carpro InnerQD, Koch Chemie ASC and Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer. All these only offer mild cleaning ability and mild protection, so don't expect a night and day before and after result. Do expect a clean, OE matte look. These have an alcohol-based formulation that flashes away to a streak free finish.

Of the three, ASC offers the most cleaning ability, InnerQD is the best smelling and QID is the all-rounder. At the moment, I'm preferring Koch ASC, but don't rule out any of them.

upload link direct

And yes, you absolutely can use a topper on a ceramic coating as it becomes the sacrificial layer to your coating. I know, I know, protection for the protection. There are thousands of products you could use here, my favorites are;

P&S Bead Maker - hard to beat this for gloss, even on white.

NV Boost v2 - this is the newer version that offers more gloss and protection than v1.

upload image album

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer - I love this product, very easy to use and available everywhere. Wait for it to be on sale though as it's just too expensive at full price.

Adam's Slick & Slide / OG Drying Aid - both the same product, save for scent and colouring. The OG version is coming soon, certainly worth the wait as it's just so easy to use and offers surprisingly excellent water behavior.

image hosing website

Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2022, 09:35 PM   #1999
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

For the interior product, I have largely stopped using a dressing on interior plastics.
With my wife's car, I am largely the same when it's getting regularly cleaned. Normally while I'm doing the door jambs, I give the door cards, scuff plates etc a quick wipe as well, and that is sufficient. As it is a school bus and shopping trolley, it can sometimes need a bit of a clean, and the 303 I'm very happy with.

My car is a bit older and can get quite dirty esp during and after holiday or caravan trips etc. Again 303 is pretty good but just thought I'd try some innerQD (becoming quite the carpro fan) or similar product just to offer that bit extra protection as the plastics have seen a lot more exposure to life. Thanks for the suggestion about the P+S product.

As usual you've been great with the suggestions of a gloss booster. I do need some more brake buster and rags to riches, so maybe while I'm doing an order of P+S products, I'll get some extra ones. I also would like another couple of gauntlet towels and I may be wrong but I think they're from the same outlet (detailstore??).

Not sure what the deal was with the residue on the rims. I have them a good rinse after and also snow foamed them and rinsed after that. Strange but not a big deal. Like I said, I only clean the tyres with that a few times a year.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:43 PM   #2000
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
With my wife's car, I am largely the same when it's getting regularly cleaned. Normally while I'm doing the door jambs, I give the door cards, scuff plates etc a quick wipe as well, and that is sufficient. As it is a school bus and shopping trolley, it can sometimes need a bit of a clean, and the 303 I'm very happy with.

My car is a bit older and can get quite dirty esp during and after holiday or caravan trips etc. Again 303 is pretty good but just thought I'd try some innerQD (becoming quite the carpro fan) or similar product just to offer that bit extra protection as the plastics have seen a lot more exposure to life. Thanks for the suggestion about the P+S product.

As usual you've been great with the suggestions of a gloss booster. I do need some more brake buster and rags to riches, so maybe while I'm doing an order of P+S products, I'll get some extra ones. I also would like another couple of gauntlet towels and I may be wrong but I think they're from the same outlet (detailstore??).

Not sure what the deal was with the residue on the rims. I have them a good rinse after and also snow foamed them and rinsed after that. Strange but not a big deal. Like I said, I only clean the tyres with that a few times a year.
Detail Store -

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...ibre-detergent
https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...-wheel-cleaner
https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...int-protectant
https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...terior-cleaner
https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...a5a4d27a&_ss=r

Autobuff -

https://autobuff.com.au/products/p-s...26885989&_ss=r
https://autobuff.com.au/products/p-s...r&_ss=e&_v=1.0
https://autobuff.com.au/products/p-s...d&_ss=e&_v=1.0
https://autobuff.com.au/collections/...ner-473ml-16oz
https://autobuff.com.au/search?type=product&q=gauntlet*
Mustang GT

Old 01-10-2022, 11:25 PM   #2001
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

So today I was putting some new seats into my P250. While the seats were out I thought I’d clean the dash. So I picked up carpro inside 1:10 and went over the dash. The dash looked a little weird, it went super dry and looked faded. I looked down and I’d grabbed the mint All Purpose Cleaner 1:1. The whole dash was dry and white looking.

Upon realising this fatal error of using a very aggressive cleaner 1:1 that one the bottle says 1:20 for interiors I started freaking out. Easy fix, I’ll go over it with Aerospace 303, nope didn’t work. Then I thought Carpro Perl 1:8, nope, still exactly the same. Then tried Perl 1:4, didn’t work either.

By this point I was properly freaking out thinking I’d have to do a whole new dash swap. I then decided to do Carpro Perl 1:1. I did it thick, and left it for 10 minutes. I wiped it down and to my relief it’s fine. I went and looked at it again tonight and it’s still fine.

Moral of the story, check your bottles.

No photos sorry, I was too stressed haha
Old 01-10-2022, 11:35 PM   #2002
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
So today I was putting some new seats into my P250. While the seats were out I thought I’d clean the dash. So I picked up carpro inside 1:10 and went over the dash. The dash looked a little weird, it went super dry and looked faded. I looked down and I’d grabbed the mint All Purpose Cleaner 1:1. The whole dash was dry and white looking.

Upon realising this fatal error of using a very aggressive cleaner 1:1 that one the bottle says 1:20 for interiors I started freaking out. Easy fix, I’ll go over it with Aerospace 303, nope didn’t work. Then I thought Carpro Perl 1:8, nope, still exactly the same. Then tried Perl 1:4, didn’t work either.

By this point I was properly freaking out thinking I’d have to do a whole new dash swap. I then decided to do Carpro Perl 1:1. I did it thick, and left it for 10 minutes. I wiped it down and to my relief it’s fine. I went and looked at it again tonight and it’s still fine.

Moral of the story, check your bottles.

No photos sorry, I was too stressed haha
I knew exactly where you were going with that from the second line in. Hopefully it hasn't caused long term damage.

I stopped using APC's for interior cleaning a while ago for this reason. I'm led to believe P&S Express is pH neutral, but I want to test that myself.

Another product I have been using for interior cleaning lately is ONR at the quick detailer dilution of 1:16. ONR is a very safe cleaner to use across all interior surfaces.
Mustang GT

Old 01-10-2022, 11:42 PM   #2003
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I think it’ll be ok, time will tell I guess.

I switched to carpro inside at 1:10 last year and it’s been great. I mainly use it for leather as I do a lot of leather as a side hustle. I’ve found it to be really good at leather and go 1:5 if I need it strong.
I found colourlock leather cleaner better, but it’s not cost effective as I use it a lot with cleaning parts, redying and flipping them.

Most cars and car parts I’m cleaning are pretty feral so I need something strongish. Man did I stuff up today though. I was so angry at myself. I’ve done it once before but I only picked up megs quick detailer instead of 303 so wasn’t an issue.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:48 PM   #2004
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

As a side note, my P250 is immaculate so I have no idea why I decided I’d clean it and not just use 303, real stupid
Old 01-10-2022, 11:56 PM   #2005
prydey
Rob

I like that products like Perl are so versatile. Different dilutions for different jobs. Makes it very cost effective.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:15 PM   #2006
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A gratuitous pic

Thanks for reading.
Getting up and about is the best therapy, physically and mentally. The little chariot looks good. Those short Karcher hoses are a pain, having to lug the machine, along with the water hose and mains lead, to all corners of the car. Stay safe, but keep movin'.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:33 PM   #2007
prydey
Rob

Another quick question regarding products like bead maker that I asked about earlier. Are these also like a quick detailer spray? Ideally I would use it straight after washing, however what if for some reason it couldn't be done straight away (run out of time etc). Which products can be used separate to washing and which products are best used as part of the drying process or while the car is still wet.

Ease of use would definitely sway me one way or another.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:02 PM   #2008
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Another quick question regarding products like bead maker that I asked about earlier. Are these also like a quick detailer spray? Ideally I would use it straight after washing, however what if for some reason it couldn't be done straight away (run out of time etc). Which products can be used separate to washing and which products are best used as part of the drying process or while the car is still wet.

Ease of use would definitely sway me one way or another.
For situation you describe, personally, I don't use toppers unless right after a wash. That's just me, though.

In general, topper products don't have the mild cleaning ability like a traditional quick detailer does. Think P&S Paint Gloss or Bowden's Boss Gloss.

In your case, you could use the Ech2o as the drying aid, it has some mild Si02 protection, offers gloss enhancement and also has the ability to deal with some mild dust.
Mustang GT

Old 02-10-2022, 07:11 PM   #2009
prydey
Rob

Thanks. I think I'll go with the bead maker. Did some reading and watched some vids and now I'm pretty keen to try it for myself. Probs get an edgeless 500 towel in orange to go with it. Have nudged over the free postage now in the shopping cart on detail store. Just a shame they don't sell NV and carpro brands as well.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #2010
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thanks. I think I'll go with the bead maker. Did some reading and watched some vids and now I'm pretty keen to try it for myself. Probs get an edgeless 500 towel in orange to go with it. Have nudged over the free postage now in the shopping cart on detail store. Just a shame they don't sell NV and carpro brands as well.
The Detail Store actually did sell Carpro and NV at one stage, both brands were run out and replaced with Gyeon and Koch Chemie. I have a feeling that was to move away from buying product from Waxit. (Carpro and NV are distributed by Waxit.) Detailing Shed did the same thing as well.

Bead Maker is a favorite. Some users experience streaking issues, something I have never had happen. It is also noted for attracting dust, I don't know how accurate those claims are though. Personally, the insane gloss BM provides and the lovely scent far outweigh those potential issues.

I use Rag Company FTW's or Gauntet's for use with Bead Maker, although I'm using the product as a drying aid rather than applying it in a more methodical application.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...8a2acc7f&_ss=r

Those FTW towels feel very different to the Eagle 500, the FTW being a twist loop will "feel" slightly grabby compared to the butter soft fluffiness of the Eagle.

Depending on how you use Bead Maker, I would make sure you have two towels when applying Bead Maker, one for the first wipe and one for a quick final wipe.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post: