Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
bseos

Default Slipping Clutch?

Been having some serious issues with my car the past week.
When i press the gas pedal my rpms rise and it feels like my tyres are spinning even though im doing low speeds.
It does it in 1st to 5th gear. I have to really slowly press on the gas pedal for it to not do this.

If i engage the cruise control it quickly turns off because of the rise of rpms and what feels like the tyres lose traction.

Anyone know what a replacement clutch will cost?

-K&N Pod Filter
-XR5 Rims (Late Model)
bseos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Slipping Clutch?

Are you sure it's not something like the throttle cable? I had one of those sticking once, with similar symptoms.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way to check is rev the motor with the clutch in and car in 3rd gear and let it out quickly. If the engine stalls it is probably not the clutch, if it slowly takes off you have a slipping pressure/clutch plate .
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Are you sure it's not something like the throttle cable? I had one of those sticking once, with similar symptoms.
No throttle cable in our cars. They're drive by wire.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
No throttle cable in our cars. They're drive by wire.
Ah, of course.

Dirt in the throttle bore or damaged TPS, then?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Not saying this is the best price you can get but it should give you an idea That price of course doesn't include fitting :(

You should be able to source a clutch kit cheaper from O/S but I'm not 100% sure on the compatability.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Focu...item3f0bbceac6

Russ

Last edited by Russ; 14-07-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #7
bseos

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Ah, of course.

Dirt in the throttle bore or damaged TPS, then?
nah its definitely the clutch... the garage still stinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Not saying this is the best price you can get but it should give you an idea That price of course doesn't include fitting :(

You should be able to source a clutch kit cheaper from O/S but I'm not 100% sure on the compatability.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Focu...item3f0bbceac6

Russ
Didnt think to check ebay, thanks.

Ford wanted 500 for clutch, 300 for bearings and stuff and didnt say about the fly wheel.. all up to get fitted 2000.

Does anyone know if the fly wheel can be machined? Ford said no.. but im sceptical.
And how much of a chance is there that its mangled and has to be replaced?
-K&N Pod Filter
-XR5 Rims (Late Model)

Last edited by bseos; 15-07-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 15-07-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
bseos

According to clutchfinder.exedy.com.au

Part Number: FMK-7955
no flywheel
~$800

Part Number:
FMK-7955DMF
with Dual Mass Flywheel
$1800

im boned if i need to replace flywheel.. :(

Anyone know of any other brands or places to order in clutch kits?
\n

Also car is barely drivable, if i continue to drive it will i screw anything else up?
-K&N Pod Filter
-XR5 Rims (Late Model)
Old 15-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

If you continue to drive it then eventually you will either break down and will have no clutch at all or you will risk damage to the flywheel. I would suggest you contact a few clutch places and ask them for prices and about the option of machining the existing flywheel. I couldn't see Ford or any other service dept. wanting to machine anything nowadays, they're only interested in replacing parts new for old, but of course there is always the possibility that the flywheels can't be machined, but I doubt that would be the case. Another possible option for you to chase up is this one -

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Pr...ategoryID=1433

I'm not sure on the shipping costs or if they will ship here, but it's certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than the prices over here

Best of luck with it
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
bseos

Can anyone here confirm if the flywheel is single or dual-mass for a "Ford Focus 2.0L LT 2007 "?
I've have rang up so many places and they all say one or the other.. even ford :S

With the dual-mass flywheels they cannot be machined and in many cases tend to shi*t themselves before the clutch even goes and cost almost double what a solid or single-mass one costs. Only reason ford use them is because they seem to be more quiter when the car is idling, less gear chatter.

Anyway, quotes so far for anyone interested;

Binks Ford
(assuming its single-mass flywheel):
Slave Cylinder & Trust Bearings =$310
Clutch Kit =$677 (includes clutch plate & pressure plate)
Single Mass flywheel (New =$1,242 or Machined = $88)
Labour = $660
TOTAL
-with machined flywheel = $1,735
-with new flywheel = $2,889

Race Brakes
(solid flywheel conversion)
ALL Parts & Labour = $1,500 - $1,700

JAT (James Allen Tuning)
(solid flywheel conversion)
ALL Parts & Labour = $1,500 - $1,600
-K&N Pod Filter
-XR5 Rims (Late Model)
Old 15-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dual mass fly wheels get used by other makers as well but seem to create more than their share of problems. In the bigger Nissan's they are a major issue such that aftermarket makes solid flywheel and clutch replacement kits.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
spedwards

From my reading when my clutch started to let go it was highly recommended that you replace the dual mass flywheel at the same time as the clutch. As has been mentioned, if the DMF packs it in you will be up for a lot more $'s then what you are looking at right now. Think of it as a two for one on the labour component of the job ;-)

In my case (2003 ST170 with DMF), I was looking at ~$3000 just for parts locally and it was recommended that I look overseas for an alternative. Central Florida Motorsport sold the LuK OE replacement for a little over $500 with $280 priority shipping and then I had an $800 installation bill on top of that. The shipping component was refunded as the package arrived late - but that's another story.

CFM have the clutch and flywheel kit for your car for $425.95 and the slave cylinder with thrust bearing for $92.95. Factor in about $250 for standard shipping and then add labour costs.

I would be surprised if you got away with any change from $3000 to get parts supplied locally and installed. I have seen posts from ST170 owners with $4000 clutch replacement bills!
spedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
bseos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedwards
..I would be surprised if you got away with any change from $3000 to get parts supplied locally and installed.
Got quoted $1,500 for a solid flywheel conversion @ race brakes and im taking it there this week. Cheapest place i could find.
I believe they said they supply Subaru with all their clutch needs so they should know their stuff.. also possibly why they are so cheap..
-K&N Pod Filter
-XR5 Rims (Late Model)
Old 28-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that`s pretty painful, i bet they don`t mention this running cost when the vehicle is new, just looking on google quite a few foreign cars/trucks have this DMF clutch system, i`m thinking the old simple system was`nt too bad.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post