Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-03-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
zing

Default Lack of power/poor acceleration

Hey guys,

havent made a post here in awhile. Heres my dilemma, i have had this problem with the fiesta for quite some time.
It has just become more evident to me in the last 6 months or so. The problem is poor torque/power delivery from acceleration from standstill. Especially evident in first gear.

For example today, i was at the traffic lights, next to me a hyundai excel, not trying to race the other driver or anything, but id expect to get off the line much perkier than an excel. However this was not the case, i changed at around 3500 rpm, nothing rapid, the excel was well ahead of me and kept goin after i changed into 2nd. Once again im not racing anybody, and the excel driver didnt look/sound like he was belting his car around.

This was not the only case as i encounter situations like this frequently daily, getz, excels, old corollas, 2's, jazz's and swifts sometimes even! pull away from me all the time! hey id expect to be out-accelerated by big engine cars like faclons, camrys, commodores etc.

When i first got the car the situation wasn't as bad as it is now, but it has not been the perkiest car out on the road. I have had the 30K service but I did not know any different at the time and didnt mention anything about the problem (as i didnt know the problem was as evident to me then, as it is today).

Do you guys have any ways to explain, or any theories that could help?

Cheers

Old 07-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Adsy01

Cool

mine (WP Zetec) is definatly lacking under 3800rpm, but there isn't anything wrong with the car or yours too i belive. The torque/power just insn't there out of the 1.6 untill you give it a bit of stick above 4k.

From a standstill mine really needs a kick in the guts to get going any quicker than a old granny's scooter. One of the reasons the gearing is diferent in the WQ zetect is to overcome this and make the car more zippy than the rather boring WP was.

Also keep in mind that all of the cars you've mentioned, would have a power to weight ratio close-ish to the fez's. If your changing gear at 3500rpm and they're reving out to 5000-6000rpm, then they will appear to be much more powerfull/quicker, so don't get hug up on how "quick" they are, unless you know for sure the two cars are being driven in the same way.

Maybe you've just gotten use to how it is, so it "feels" different now? if that makes sense.

Elbach Lowered Coils - Rear sway bar - 12.5mm Axle Spacers - Rear disc brake conversion - 16" MP3 Rims
Tinted windows - Tinted Headlight surrounds - Clear side indicators- Phillips Xenon lighting - Colour Coded - ST Rear Spoiler - Smooth Rear Wiper - Ford leather gear knob & boot – Zetec S Sill Covers & Steering wheel - Leather centre armrest - Pioneer USB/CD player - JL Audio 4ch Amp, subwoofer & splits - Short aerial

The most "Standard" car I've ever owned!
Adsy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

pretty much agree with ADSY01. give it some more stick towards 4000rpm and change later. keep the revs up from start to finish is all i can say... then again, you dont want to stress it out every take off. funny thing is that i find that the fez is slightly better up against boring camrys and larger cars as they're a little sluggish to begin with.
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

bugger that, change at the limiter. It only exists to tell you when to change!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I'd give it a couple of fills with premium unleaded (or injector cleaner) to make sure it's all running clean.

Also check plugs and leads
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

... perhaps it's just the driver.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
zing

Ive never driven another Fez apart from mine. But from some of your opinions it looks like you agree with me.
Just seems the Fez makes a whole lot of noise yet isnt getting very far, especially in first.

I personally dont like belting a car just to get it up to the speed limit, maybe im power hungry...Ive been happy with the Fez in every other aspect, not to take anything away from what a good car it is.

I use 95/98 regularly with the car, aswell as fuel injector cleaner a few times. Next service in 5K i will get the mechanic to have a look at ignition leads, spark plugs etc and if id benefit from getting the injectors blast cleaned or whatever.

Or if not, i shall have to live with it...until the next car.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

I have found my fiesta is so happy around the 3500 to 4400 RPM. but in the city i usually change at 2300rpm and it is powerfull i usually leave other cars behind
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Needs a good hard drive to blow the carbon out. Try an Induction System and combustion chamber cleaner - Motorcraft part number R16 from Ford. Works like a charm.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like something might be wrong with it, best to get it checked out, I seem to remember my Zetec was not exactly that quick either, that was one of the main factors in my decision to sell it and get something with a bigger motor, first the 2.4L VRX Lancer and now the 2.0L Fez.

Could be something very simple though as the injectors needing a good clean out or something.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Needs a good hard drive to blow the carbon out. Try an Induction System and combustion chamber cleaner - Motorcraft part number R16 from Ford. Works like a charm.
Sounds about right. Give it the old 'Italian tune' ie give it a good fang on the freeway...!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post