Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-08-2021, 07:20 PM   #451
DTFRMONT

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
Another observation - Yes Carsales ads have dwindled, but is anyone actually buying off there? Free platforms like Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace have taken off. Most people don't want to spend the ridiculous money Carsales are asking to advertise now. I have found most of the cars I currently own off market or through Facebook.
I prefer to use Carsales when selling, yes they're not cheap to advertise on anymore, but I find that the 'quality' of enquiries is better, no way near the number of scammers and messages from 'final price' lowballers that I seemed to get when advertising on Gumtree. Taking the time to give the car a good clean to take lots of good quality photos is also a must to get a good result.

When my uncle passed on a few months back, we got the job of selling his tidy GQ Patrol Ti. Gave it a good clean, got it roadworthy, we thought we were a bit cheeky putting it on Carsales for $17.5K. First person to look at it bought it, for the full asking price.....
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2021, 07:22 PM   #452
GetToTheGone

I just traded in my 2011 XR6 limited edition ute, the car yard have put it on the lot for $20,900.
I paid $19,990 for it 6 years ago. Crazy.
6 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2021, 07:54 PM   #453
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I saw one being test-driven on my way home from work today, going past me in the other direction with the driver looking quite happy, it had $27,990 written on the windscreen. I need to talk to NRMA about what mine's really worth, I think I got them to agree to $21K a few years ago when I switched insurers.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 09:09 PM   #454
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not if he wants an FG F6. Maybe he doesn't want a C63 as he does not have an Adidas tracksuit.

That is the bit you don't get - if someone wants a VN Group A, it does not matter if an i30N is faster or cheaper, an i30N is not a VN Group A. If someone wants a classic Falcon, they give no ****s if a Camry or Aurion or your Avalon is faster/cheaper/more economical, because it is not a classic Falcon.

Sometimes people want a car that you don't - you need to accept that is ok as not everyone is buying for the same reason(s) as you. If buying a daily runabout then all the things you bang on about are definitely worth considering - but when someone is buying a car for emotional reasons, a car they have always wanted, then all that stuff that is so important to you is not important to them.

If someone wants an FG F6 they should do their best to get an FG F6 and enjoy it. You don't need to understand it, just accept it.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 09:39 PM   #455
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
This quote can be used to rebuff any comment you will ever make

An own goal, half volley, self sabotage checkmate
Funny how you leave the good bits out my post
Sorry son.
You don't have a clue, my post went right over the top of you.
You'll never understand it.

I'll a say it again. I'll take a FG F6 over a C63 any day ending in Y. Have a think as to why, I know you'll not work it out.
It's because it what I want, not what some bloke who's asking his mate in the know what everyone wants and what they should pay.
Same as the VN thread you contributed nothing to.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 11:05 PM   #456
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’ll tell you why the wind will fall out of the prices.

When prices were reasonable, car sales had 230000+ ads on it. Through COVID ads have fallen under 100,000 ads.. supply is relatively short.. this is a temporary event

Once we get vaccinated, Australia opens up, people start using public transport again without the fear of the virus. all those used cars are not needed, flood the market

Then new car supply catches back up, it is a well known issue supply was slowed through COVID, dealers are selling a years worth of allocated stock before June.. pushes prices up in used cars.. when new car supplies catch up (and they will) again people will dump their used cars..

Car sales ads will go back up to normal and maybe even higher to 300,000ads.. watch the prices tumble. Hold out another year to 18 months.. let’s see if I’m correct..

All the people buying used FPV with high km for $65k etc are ridiculous suckers, watch the **** fall out of the market. People say but they are rare /discontinued, something new will blow them away at lower prices ..

Always compare what else you can get for the money, even in today’s times.. AMG C63 or a fpv f6,, haha.. you guys are better than this.

The current prices are like a tsunami, know that the water will always recede back to its natural place / level
Agree.
Even if people are set on an fpv or hsv, usually the wallet does the talking, hence so many great walls, Mahindra's etc on the road. Can't honestly say they didn't want a Hilux or ranger instead.
As for the prices receding, I don't know how or what will trigger that, as USA also has massive price inflation now, it's not just here.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-08-2021, 11:42 PM   #457
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post

............Whilst currently you have Boomers retiring with more cash than they can possibly spend, .........

There would be many more boomers not in that category, than in it. What the hell has society today, got in their heads about "Boomers"

You're flaming insulting people who new what tough times were, and struggled to put a meal on the table for their kids. Many of them don't even own a home, let alone a flaming palace.
Sorta like the "millennial lazy and entitled, doesn't know how to function with out phone, millennial can't drive manual or change tyre" attitude that is pretty common on websites like this.

Other side of the same coin.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #458
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414
Another observation - Yes Carsales ads have dwindled, but is anyone actually buying off there? Free platforms like Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace have taken off. Most people don't want to spend the ridiculous money Carsales are asking to advertise now. I have found most of the cars I currently own off market or through Facebook.
Didn't some brands (or all?) put bans on advertising stock on carsales last year?

Would also explain the drop off in listed vehicles, as well as the semi-conductor/covid related shortages.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2021, 11:26 PM   #459
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The pricing is not for the wiggle room but to see if you can find a sucker first, hit them for a home run? If they agree to buy at the asking price do you disclose that there is wiggle room?
Even if you have a prospective buyer that lacks bargaining confidence they always try the "what's the lowest you'll go" Or "what's you best price".
I've yet to meet anyone that will pay asking price unless you've stuffed up and advertised too cheap and they know their stuff so know they're getting a bargain. Even then they'll rush over and put the pressure on straight away because they don't want to lose out on a bargain and still try bargain down once they're in front of you (while your phone is ringing crazy to get to you LOL).

In general people that don't know what they're doing don't buy private sale s/h items. You're dealing with people in the know, will always bargain and even if you get a newbie they'll ask for best/lowest price anyway.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #460
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Even if you have a prospective buyer that lacks bargaining confidence they always try the "what's the lowest you'll go" Or "what's you best price".
I've yet to meet anyone that will pay asking price unless you've stuffed up and advertised too cheap and they know their stuff so know they're getting a bargain. Even then they'll rush over and put the pressure on straight away because they don't want to lose out on a bargain and still try bargain down once they're in front of you (while your phone is ringing crazy to get to you LOL).

In general people that don't know what they're doing don't buy private sale s/h items. You're dealing with people in the know, will always bargain and even if you get a newbie they'll ask for best/lowest price anyway.
I paid $500 more than the asking price when I bought my F6 privately, was advertised, I spotted it, viewed it the next day.. agreed to the price then the owner had second thoughts, $500 extra sealed the deal.. the car was prolly 5k under market value at the time so I wasn't fussed
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #461
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare ss View Post
I paid $500 more than the asking price when I bought my F6 privately, was advertised, I spotted it, viewed it the next day.. agreed to the price then the owner had second thoughts, $500 extra sealed the deal.. the car was prolly 5k under market value at the time so I wasn't fussed
What was an R Spec worth back then ? Lol. Bet he regrets it now.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #462
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
What was an R Spec worth back then ? Lol. Bet he regrets it now.
I knocked the R spec down from 20k to 18k, mainly due the the condition as it needed some love, that was mid 2018 I think..

I got the FGII F6 in 2015 for 45.5k, prolly still worth the same now with an extra 100,000kms on the clock lol
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #463
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Beautiful post.. I wish I could tattoo this on buyers heads. People will buy the cheaper car thinking they did good, but it almost always results on more money spent and still a worse car if they bought the low km version to start with and pay a bit more.
Just because a car has low kilometres doesn’t mean it’s good.

Very poor advice.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #464
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Just because a car has low kilometres doesn’t mean it’s good.

Very poor advice.
Agree.

A higher mileage car with an excellent history and owner type is a far better prospect than a lower Klm car with patchy history or unknown drivers/owners.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #465
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Beautiful post.. I wish I could tattoo this on buyers heads. People will buy the cheaper car thinking they did good, but it almost always results on more money spent and still a worse car if they bought the low km version to start with and pay a bit more.
Nah low Km doesn't mean good.
I think time kills cars more than kms.

A friend bought an 18 year old car with 55,000kms on it and it was garbage.
Some of my work car had 550,000kms on them and were more reliable than his older, low km ****box.
Having said that our work cars were only 3-4 years old with 550,000km on them
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #466
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i use carsales,bikesales,facebook and gumtree. if your selling a car worth 10k+ , why get tight on advertising.
i also search carsale private adds, but i think gumtree and facebook have better deals.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2021, 10:10 PM   #467
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to admit looking through the ads for Aussie cars since the demise. I never thought it was going to happen. I want a V8 and a manual

I found what I thought was a real pearl on Carsales. 2000 VT Series II SS, LS1, 6spd, 115k kms, Tiga mica all original.

The only issue was the headlining was drooping and the bolsters on the seats were not so great but you can fix that.

$21k in QLD. If it had of been closer I would of been keen but was sold before I could have even given it a serious thought
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2021, 11:12 PM   #468
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I have to admit looking through the ads for Aussie cars since the demise. I never thought it was going to happen. I want a V8 and a manual

I found what I thought was a real pearl on Carsales. 2000 VT Series II SS, LS1, 6spd, 115k kms, Tiga mica all original.

The only issue was the headlining was drooping and the bolsters on the seats were not so great but you can fix that.

$21k in QLD. If it had of been closer I would of been keen but was sold before I could have even given it a serious thought
4 years ago I drove from Perth to New Norcia, fair drive to see a Ford Fairmont for $1500 as a parts car, 180,000 klm, I asked on phone are they genuine, yep, hesaid that's what speedo says?....I said that's not genuine, that's what's on the clock, I said the car pics look good, you mentioned sagging headlining, but out side it was straight and white, I got there eventually, bad directions, he had number 1 plug out, I said no spark, he said no, its full of water?...bit of a yokel, I said its got a blown head gasket, you brought me all the way here to look at this sh.tbox?...he said no it starts, looked inside, and it was trashed, I said mate this speedo has been around the clock?...he said no I haven't touched the speedo honest

I declined to buy it, I wanted panels and electronic dash unit for heater etc, dident have one, I said mate you told me it was a Fairmont, he said no it's a Futura, I said you be better off parting it out, or drop price and say it's got a blown head gasket, he said no it just fills with water in the front cylinder, I couldn't help but laugh, I mean it was laughable meeting an absolute idiot!

Not talking about your car but it reminded me of this episode in my life

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 06-08-2021 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Misspelt
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #469
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Didn't some brands (or all?) put bans on advertising stock on carsales last year?

Would also explain the drop off in listed vehicles, as well as the semi-conductor/covid related shortages.

New car stock would be a massive contributor to this.

As far as bans go - it does happen and is usually sparked by dealers rather than the manufacturer themselves. Hyundai for instance, if you look up new car stock you'll find an "Indicative drive away price".

Carsales also has practically every version of a car, model and colour selections listed on carsales whether the car itself exists or not. This has been a very frustrating thing for dealers as we get leads generated on these 'generic ads' that we have to pay for even though we cannot supply the car.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #470
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
New car stock would be a massive contributor to this.

As far as bans go - it does happen and is usually sparked by dealers rather than the manufacturer themselves. Hyundai for instance, if you look up new car stock you'll find an "Indicative drive away price".

Carsales also has practically every version of a car, model and colour selections listed on carsales whether the car itself exists or not. This has been a very frustrating thing for dealers as we get leads generated on these 'generic ads' that we have to pay for even though we cannot supply the car.
I recall something similar to what bossxr8 mentioned. Came across this via google search
https://www.smh.com.au/business/auto...010-2vbg2.html

Not sure if it's what he was thinking of, but like you say, it's more dealer driven and was to stop internet shoppers pitting dealers against each other or something.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:07 PM   #471
DTFRMONT

Here's something that is very reasonably priced (at the moment), a bog-stock EA2 GL, in a 5-speed (CFI motor though). Totally original, with an unusual blue interior, would certainly turn some heads at a Sunday Cars & Coffee. Notice it has a reserve......

https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-50007...sedan?spr=true
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 11:46 PM   #472
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would that be an ex QLD cop car
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2021, 12:36 AM   #473
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT View Post
Here's something that is very reasonably priced (at the moment), a bog-stock EA2 GL, in a 5-speed (CFI motor though). Totally original, with an unusual blue interior, would certainly turn some heads at a Sunday Cars & Coffee. Notice it has a reserve......

https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-50007...sedan?spr=true
pfft, if you like blue interiors look at bmws with ultramarine interiors, main reason why I bought mine. I love old non grey/beige or black interiors like ford and many used to do up to about 1990.
Mine's the budget 2.5L i6 but still has more power than old falcon 3.9L (1990 e34 525i but has mpi, coil on plug and 24v). Unfortunately the previous owner put in beige seats so I'm restoring it all back to blue.

Maybe even look at an older one, eg this one is a bargain https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wodo...ner/1278190565

E: (IMO the reason why it's not starting is because it needs an ignition module, very common problem on pre 1990 bmws and so many sold dirt cheap because they don't know that)
Bonus if you buy it and live in vic that's close to where all the parts hoarders and wreckers are for old bmws (peninsula bm and the guy in tassie).

speaking of tassie:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hoba...35i/1278606653

Last edited by oldel; 10-08-2021 at 12:50 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #474
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just consider what else you can buy for the same money, reprice the car accordingly. You dont have to pay the asking price

For instance that VN group A that sold for $400k is ridiculous. You could have bought a McLaren 650s

Let me tell you what a McLaren does... I drove one a few years back in western Sydney.. people were hanging out of cars riding along side taking photos. Everyone at the set of lights had something to say.

I pulled up at a cafe that could see the carpark.. just about everyone got out of their Seat to watch "who gets out".. the owner of the cafe was fully booked but he pulls a table from somewhere and had it setup before I could say hello. Perfect service

Imagine if I pulled up in a VN group A. Fully booked mate F-off.

Any photos? Story sound tall. Like a 2.77.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2021, 11:40 PM   #475
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Where are 60’s SWB truck prices heading, not just Effies? Is the market favouring patina, resto-rods, rats, or faithful restorations?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2021, 11:42 PM   #476
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Just consider what else you can buy for the same money, reprice the car accordingly. You dont have to pay the asking price

For instance that VN group A that sold for $400k is ridiculous. You could have bought a McLaren 650s

Let me tell you what a McLaren does... I drove one a few years back in western Sydney.. people were hanging out of cars riding along side taking photos. Everyone at the set of lights had something to say.

I pulled up at a cafe that could see the carpark.. just about everyone got out of their Seat to watch "who gets out".. the owner of the cafe was fully booked but he pulls a table from somewhere and had it setup before I could say hello. Perfect service. Go to a hotel and park at the front door no problem.

Imagine if I pulled up in a VN group A (also paid $400k). Fully booked mate F-off.

Then I woke up , grabbed the tissues and wiped myself up.

Have driven and been in a few customers cars at work. Lambos , McLarens. Have ridden a couple of Ducati panigales.
Yep Euro stuff can be pretty cool.
But most serious enthusiasts that have these also have a couple of classic American or Australian muscle cars as well.
Bad tempered, bad mannered pigs of things to drive , but very cool for a whole pile of different reasons.
These people are the ones who have the cash and buy what they want to suit themselves and don't care what anyone else thinks.
The people who buy just on the basis of how they get looked at in the car , are people just trying to be noticed and living the life on the banks money.
They don't have it themselves.
Classic example was a well known Sydney underworld figure that lived in Bellevue Hill.
His now ex wife who was a heiress to a huge Australian company had a custom painted Bentley continental , a Super Legera to go shopping in and a Ferrari.
He had another Lambo , a McLaren and the rest of the toy box consisted of Harley's, Brock Commodores , GT Falcons (both genuine and replica) and a few Mazda Rotarys.
He bought what ever he wanted and simply wasn't interested in what people thought.
He would sit there and talk to us for hours on how each car was awesome in its own right and they were all just as enjoyable to drive as each other.
It's good sometimes to rub shoulders with the genuine movers and shakers in society.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2021, 11:51 PM   #477
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Horses for courses and obviously the tax rate is too low for the wealthy LOL
Old 10-08-2021, 11:52 PM   #478
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Is the market favouring patina, resto-rods, rats, or faithful restorations?
yes ;)

Again, not one size fits all, people look for different things.
Some like original paint and prefer old worn patina over a respray, some like restored mint looking ones (but still original mech), others are going to modify them for modern day reliabilty to use them as a daily so want a modern driveline.

There's not really enough of them sold out in the open. If I had one I'd try get more (money), for less (work/paint/mod). If that doesn't work and no bites after 6/12m I'd consider restoring and tripling the price LOL.

Last edited by oldel; 10-08-2021 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:56 PM   #479
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The steering is weird as you have to turn very late as it just hooks hard. Very prominent turbo sound, pulls very hard and very laggy.
Hey- throw you a bone- no need for the McLaren.

Buy a Mk 8 Ford Fiesta ST, you get that pinpoint sharp steering, turbo sound, hard pull second gear up- AND Reliability and a 5 YEAR WARRANTY.....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2021, 12:02 AM   #480
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Hey- throw you a bone- no need for the McLaren.

Buy a Mk 8 Ford Fiesta ST, you get that pinpoint sharp steering, turbo sound, hard pull second gear up- AND Reliability and a 5 YEAR WARRANTY.....
Totally correct.

It’s often said a fiesta is a lot more fun than a car worth half a million+
2 users like this post: