Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Miss_XR6

Default Need help with my phone

Well this morning i went to send a msg and my phone was dialing in numbers by its self. So i turned it back on and it was doing the same thing. I then took it all apart to clean and its still doing the same thing :( does anyone know how to fix it

Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
jim1606
Jim

Take it to a mobile phone shop, if you have carphone warehouse then take it there, but if you have The Link steer clear of them. Is it insured?
Old 21-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Miss_XR6

nah it isnt its 3 years old i had it origainlly on a plan then it ended and i just kept the phone and bought a new sim card.. its a nokia
Old 21-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
jim1606
Jim

Well just take it to a mobile phone retailer, but if it costs to fix it maybe it would be worth getting a new one?
Old 21-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
XRchic
Hello

Sounds a bit scary, bad way to rack up a large bill if people answer!!!

If its an older phone it might not be worth fixing. However, yeah take it to a repair place like Telstra Shop or something like that.

Some of the buttons arent stuck or something are they? Is it dialling the same number over and over? If so, one button could be stuck on the speed dial.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its time for a new phone!
those Caps seem to be the go, but I think they force you to get a 3G phone.
I reccommend a Sony Ericsson W810i (walkman), it comes in handy with uni and holds up to 25 CDs worth of music with a std 512Mb memory stick duo!
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Miss_XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Sounds a bit scary, bad way to rack up a large bill if people answer!!!

If its an older phone it might not be worth fixing. However, yeah take it to a repair place like Telstra Shop or something like that.

Some of the buttons arent stuck or something are they? Is it dialling the same number over and over? If so, one button could be stuck on the speed dial.
yeh its the same number its 2 aswell not even my fav number i think it might be stuck but the front case thing i can never get off so im going to get my bf to do that 2nite and hopefully it just stuck or something if not im taking it to a shop 2morrow.. its turned off now pulled the battery out its only 3 years old too so its not that old
Old 21-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_XR6
its only 3 years old too so its not that old
I saw a old guy (65+) in the telstra shop the other day with what looked like a brick, put it this way, it was that old that it wouldn't fit in any pocket and proberly needed a backpack just to carry it.
Well the poor telstra guy had to explain to him how the new basic mobile phones worked....i went shopping and 45mins later the guy was still explaining! lol
I remember trying to explain to my mum how a mobile works and how to send msg's, she messages me all the time now!

Sorry to hijack the thread
But, has anyone had an experience trying to teach someone how to use a mobile phone mum/grandparents?
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer

The Adventurer!
Old 21-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
Miss_XR6

yeh had to teach my aunty how to use it and still to this day she doesnt know how to even turn it on and thats when she is wearing her glasses im glad i was brought up with technology
Old 21-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

my sony ericsson k700 was a pile of junk and the sony ericsson W800 i had used to dial people in my phonebook when it was sitting on its own with the keyguard on, so i recommend not getting a sony ericsson!!

Just picked up myself a Nokia 6131, paid $400 outright, and it's a very nice machine. Quite a unisex phone too..

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS
Old 21-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #11
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nokia have never failed me except the trusty 3210/3215 battery, my brother has a new Nokia, it looks great and does the job he wants!
The reason I went for the newest sony walkman phone is similar to why a person would buy an ED over an EA, they have fixed MOST of the problems and is generally better than the previous model.
Yes, there were alot of problem with the W800i that is why they quickly fixed the problems and realeased the W810i.......i hope!

W800i W810i
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer

The Adventurer!
Old 21-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bArNsY
Nokia have never failed me except the trusty 3210/3215 battery, my brother has a new Nokia, it looks great and does the job he wants!
The reason I went for the newest sony walkman phone is similar to why a person would buy an ED over an EA, they have fixed MOST of the problems and is generally better than the previous model.
Yes, there were alot of problem with the W800i that is why they quickly fixed the problems and realeased the W810i.......i hope!
heh well may the force be with you my friend!
Old 21-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #13
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_XR6
yeh had to teach my aunty how to use it and still to this day she doesnt know how to even turn it on and thats when she is wearing her glasses im glad i was brought up with technology
Yep, I know what you mean. My parents are good though, they love computer, phones and electronic gadgets generally and they have a lot of stuff they play around with.... Dad recently had to teach his 90 year old Mum to a) use a mobile (old Nokia 5110) and b) an ATM card... both proved impossible... so she stick with her house phone and her bankbook.... LOL

Yes, very glad I was brought up with technology, although I think Im half a generation removed from the people who are REALLY good at it... Im 35 soon LOL.

Having said that, quite a few people my age (and older) are really good with technology and quite a few people in their 20s and younger are not so good with it. I guess it depends on attitude as much as anything... willingness to try new things and ability to pay attention! Hahaha.

Old 21-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
although I think Im half a generation removed from the people who are REALLY good at it... Im 35 soon LOL.
35 ? yeah music synthesisers & VHS Cassettes can't really be classed as technology any more :P

Nah i'm just kidding. I know what you mean thought. My dad is great with technology too, he's always getting into new stuff, especially video related. Whereas my fiance's mum can't even unlock a Nokia 8250 keypad.. and i tried to teach her for over half an hour.. top button THEN bottom button ok.. *pushes both at once* "It no work-eh"

ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Old 21-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
35 ? yeah music synthesisers & VHS Cassettes can't really be classed as technology any more :P

Nah i'm just kidding. I know what you mean thought. My dad is great with technology too, he's always getting into new stuff, especially video related. Whereas my fiance's mum can't even unlock a Nokia 8250 keypad.. and i tried to teach her for over half an hour.. top button THEN bottom button ok.. *pushes both at once* "It no work-eh"

ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Hahaha reminds me of that Telstra ad. Whats it for? Telsta Home Message Service or something... bloke trying to show his old mum how to use the message service on her home phone and she keeps answering the phone when he rings it to try it out...

"Leave it... LEAVE IT"

Old 21-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Hahaha reminds me of that Telstra ad. Whats it for? Telsta Home Message Service or something... bloke trying to show his old mum how to use the message service on her home phone and she keeps answering the phone when he rings it to try it out...

"Leave it... LEAVE IT"
haaha yes. i've often wondered if her problems eminate from the language barrier (she's got a thick italian accent) or her lack of cerebrum.. either way we don't talk much any more And it's ok, she hates me too.
Old 21-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #17
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love that ad
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer

The Adventurer!
Old 21-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #18
Miss_XR6

Quote:

"Leave it... LEAVE IT"
that was a classic add telstra should put that back on
Old 21-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #19
jim1606
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bArNsY
Its time for a new phone!
those Caps seem to be the go, but I think they force you to get a 3G phone.
I reccommend a Sony Ericsson W810i (walkman), it comes in handy with uni and holds up to 25 CDs worth of music with a std 512Mb memory stick duo!
No NO NO, get a samsung they have huge memory and are really reliable, but if you want a sterdy reliable phone get a nokia you cant go wrong with them.
Old 21-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #20
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Yeah go the Nokia - i stuck with them until 2001 when i had two 6610's that were heaps of crap.. but after trying what else is out there i've come back to Nokia, and i couldn't be happier! Samsung are also good yes.

Just thought some people might be interested in the memory chips modern phones use - called Trans Flash, or more officially "Micro SD". If you thought an SD chip was small, wait til you see this. Pictured below is the 128mb MicroSD chip that came with the phone, pictured next to a standard SD chip which came from a Canon digital camera.

I took the 128mb MicroSD chip out as my 1gb chip arrived today in the mail from WA. Yes, 1gb on something the size of my finger nail. Just a heads up, if you're in posession of one of these, don't breath in too much in awe.. it might just get sucked up your nose.
Old 21-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #21
jim1606
Jim

No i have never had a problem with a nokia, but what are there memory sizez for things like music and vids? my samsungs memory is HUGE and it doesnt have an extention card so i feel pretty safe with that fone but i want to return to nokia, so which phone has the biggest memory?
Old 21-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1606
No i have never had a problem with a nokia, but what are there memory sizez for things like music and vids? my samsungs memory is HUGE and it doesnt have an extention card so i feel pretty safe with that fone but i want to return to nokia, so which phone has the biggest memory?
mate just have a look on the respective websites.

As far as my phone goes (Nokia 6131):

" * Combo memory with 32 MB flash and 16 MB RAM - about 11 MB user data (11 MB user memory: 10 MB for gallery and applications, 1 MB shared memory for 1000 contact, calendar or note entries)
* Hotswap microSD memory card slot supporting up to 2GB microSD memory cards (available as enhancements)**"

I've got a 1gb card as 2gb MicroSD's aren't available yet!