Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
drcoupe
1975 XB Falcon 500 Coupe

Default What do you think?

G'day

I am a novice who is getting an engine built at the moment with the view to having my first run down the strip. I have an XB coupe and the engine is a standard stroke 351 expected to make a minimum 500 Horsepower with a C4 Trans, 3.5:1 LSD 9" and 295/15 street tyres. Out of interest I thought I would ask you guys with experience what approximate sort of time do you think I can get?

Thanks

DR

drcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
v gate

What stall , type of tyre, suspension, trans brake, weight, can you reach the gas peddle and push it to the floor?

It could be anywhere from a 13 to an 10.
More info needed before anyone can give you a ball park. But it should see 12. something without to much fuss. Maybe even an 11. Just dont get ****ed if things dont go as planned if its your first crack at it with the car.

good luck and enjoy anyway
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It could be as slow as a 14 if it is set up too stiff, or it could go into the tens with a full drag set up. Without any drag racing experience, don't go fishing for what you hope it will do - just run a time as a base, then go from there.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
drcoupe
1975 XB Falcon 500 Coupe

Thanks for the response fellas!

In regards to the stall I am not choosing it until the motor's been dynoed to make sure I give them as much accurate info as possible. With the suspension I have Lovell Springs front, GTHO replica springs back and Koni adjustable shocks all round. No trans brake, the C4 has been shift kitted, 6 gear planetary, billet servo and hardened input shaft, in regards to weight car is standard street trim so approx 1360Kg, can't remember the type of tyre off hand but it is a street tyre. Absolutely no problem with putting the gas pedal to the floor, I am concerned about traction though.

I know the only way to find out is to run it and I will definitely post when I get a result. Just getting a bit curious with the engine close to finally being finished.

DR
Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Itchy feet...it's a killa!
Post your Time and speed when you do go!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 04-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i'd have to guessa(a loose guess )500 true horsepower in that sort of weight car with a good stall should see you in the low to mid 11's (with some sticky tread)

as has been said probably easy 12's on street tyres
JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will that 500hp be rw or fw as,
A mate has a XB coupe that has a stroked 460 (530), has sort of similar set up (trans brake, 3500 stall etc, 28"x 10" slicks), has about 530rwhp and did a 10.1@136.
Real tough car, been in the passenger seat doing a 10.4.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
v gate

Whats your plans for the car as far as use?
The more you give the more you will get.
Some good advice gets kicked around here from time to time that can save a whole lot of trouble.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
drcoupe
1975 XB Falcon 500 Coupe

Thanks again for the comments.

Minimum 500hp at the flywheel, car is for street use at the moment. I have what I think is a standard bore 302 in it at the moment which I will probably stroke once the bug bites for more power I suppose. I stayed with the standard stroke for this engine as the block is 40 thou oversize.

DR
Old 09-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Default Mid 11s

On drag radials and the right gearing and well sorted should do a mid 11, thats what im doing with a std stroke 351 in 1600 + kgs but I dont think mines quite making 500 HP at the flywheel, the problem with a std stroke getting over 500 HP your going to be reving the **** out of it so to keep it streetable and still run a good time at the drags gearings going to be important what are you going to run ?, Ive got 4.5s and have driven from the mid nth coast to WSID a few times but it sucks the gas and does 3500 rpm per 100klm with 275/60/15 MT streets
P.S dont expect mid 11s on the first pass

https://www.facebook.com/DragRacingT...2067110055900/

http://www.cacklingpipes.com/100825_...250810_025.JPG

XA coupe naturally, aspirated Cleveland, full exhaust, 98 oct pump gas, drag radials, Manual trans, 10.664 132 mph

The faster youve gone the worse your attitude

Last edited by Rural 351; 09-08-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Rural 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mid to high 11 is my guess

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a reality check for you. I know it can be encouraging to read about the possibility of these low times, but to be honest, most first timers are a lot slower with an untried and untested car. If you have not drag raced much before it is hard to know what it takes to get a car down the quarter quickly. Just be happy to run a time, then ask how you can go faster.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush