Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
sleeper393

Question Fuel Pump dilema's

just wondering , i have AU 6 cyl is the fuel pump suppose to start priming when you turn your ignition on , because my au has issues starting when upto operating temp , i noticed there was no sound from the fuel pump when my ingnition is turn to the last stage before kicking over , and the fuel pump only starts when the engine finally kicks over ?

123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you turn the key 1 before cranking it over, you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime, and it should prime it self before cranking

If not you either have a fuel pump issue or a electrical problem

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
sleeper393

Question

thats what i thought , no sound until engine fires , and seems to be using more fuel , what electrical probs could it be if not the pump ?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Relay or fuse

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

Check for 12v at pump wiring when you turn the ignition on.
JK EX CHASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
sleeper393

Thumbs up

cheers .
Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
sleeper393

relay is the one in the engine bay , fuse under dash , so if these are dodgy not enough volt go to the pump ? i'll check with multimeter 2mrw.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The fuel pump is controlled by the ecu.It is the trigger.If the pump relay and wiring are all ok then the computer isnt triggereing it.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
sleeper393

Question

so how do i check that ?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if u can borrow or get ahold of another ecu

Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

get a logic tester.It will tell you if the relay is getting a negative trigger from the ecu at that time. Have you changed the fuel filter?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
sleeper393

yeah , still the same after change
Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
sleeper393

how do know if the pump relay is shot. logic tester ?

Last edited by sleeper393; 07-07-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: missing
Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

There will be no clicking at all.But the car is starting. You could always just swap two similar relays next to each other in the engine comaprtment. If it happens again its not the relay

Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you need a new fuel pump have brought 3 off this bloke HERE 3 days for delivery and cheap

'

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
sleeper393

Thumbs up

cheers , appreciate all the input guy's, i'll have a beer for ya's.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #17
sleeper393

Unhappy

tried new relays , no change ,, its ****ing me off , can i hookup any low series ecu from any auto s/3 AU to see if that works and triggers the fuel pump , could loose wiring to the fuel pump cause an issue , got me beat why it only doe's it when the car has been for a drive an up to temp.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I would pull the pump out just to check it as well its not that hard to do have a look here for the info
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=692

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 08-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
sleeper393

cheers, can the fuel pump play after it gets used , like i said it only plays up when the car is up to operating temp.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #20
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393
cheers, can the fuel pump play after it gets used , like i said it only plays up when the car is up to operating temp.
There"s a thread on my sons car here some ware I chased a intermittent missing coughing problem for nearly 16 months ,would be fine some days, good when it was cold then soon as it got warm it would start again, after replacing most of the usual stuff, with no luck decided to look at the fuel pump as it didn't seem to make any noise either, turns out it was clogged solid with gunk. Put the new one in 8 months ago and has not missed a beat since .
If you have a look at the 5th. picture in the link I put in the last post you will see what I mean. for the 15 min. it take to get it out I think its worth a look anyways
Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #21
sleeper393

Thumbs up

yeah sounds exactly like my issue , did you notice fuel consumption suffered ?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #22
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393
yeah sounds exactly like my issue , did you notice fuel consumption suffered ?
Not me but my son was sooking at 300k to a tank full
Old 09-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #23
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Sleeper, I think your clutching at straws looking at loose wires etc. The wiring for the pump is only one circuit. If it does its job cold, while running etc, its ok.
As for priming, the ecu senses fuel pressure at all times, and it won't prime if pressure is evident. That said, I think the paump is an issue as they seem to give issue when the car is hot only.

Search for 'fuel' in posts by me to see how many times I have told people the same here.

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #24
sleeper393

Thumbs up

thanks , yeah clutching at straws , frustrating but im at wits end, pump im leaning towards as from the start , thanks everyone for all your input , you all deserve a nice cold froffy.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #25
sleeper393

i used to get about 500km highway.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #26
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
There"s a thread on my sons car here some ware I chased a intermittent missing coughing problem for nearly 16 months ,would be fine some days, good when it was cold then soon as it got warm it would start again, after replacing most of the usual stuff, with no luck decided to look at the fuel pump as it didn't seem to make any noise either, turns out it was clogged solid with gunk. Put the new one in 8 months ago and has not missed a beat since .
If you have a look at the 5th. picture in the link I put in the last post you will see what I mean. for the 15 min. it take to get it out I think its worth a look anyways
replaced fuel pump , all good , found out the pump had popped out of its rubber mounts and was hard pushed onto the bottom of the fuel tank, putting a strain on the pump, starts first turn , whether hot or cold , cheers for all your input guys.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #27
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

good to see you got it sorted mate..!
Alot of good info by most!!!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #28
sleeper393

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
If you need a new fuel pump have brought 3 off this bloke HERE 3 days for delivery and cheap

'
yeah got the fuel pump from this guy , no probs , he lives about 10kms from me, thanks WHOOSHA.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is one reason why i run a fuel pressure gauge under the bonnet, makes it easier to diagnose a problem.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #30
sleeper393

good idea , so where do i place it on my intech , any pics , cheers.