Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default santa gave me a nasty present :(

headed out to Mansfield / Licola / Jamieson for some deer stalking and a bit of 4wd'ing for 5 days, but I didn't make it past the 2nd day.

came back, with a cracked block, and a busted rear left shock absorber

now it's time to convert to a Holden V6 or V8 engine, I am undecided at the moment, but I'm starting to disassemble her to day

It was .. _WAS_ a trustworthy Toyota 4runner, now a busted old sack of "potata's" - correct typo.

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Terrible :( sorry to see mate.
I am guessing the change to a Holden V6 or 8 is common hence your choice to go with one of those engines. I hope things go well mate that's really crappy luck, especially around Xmas.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Dam that's a bummer. I see it as, if somthing breaks, make it better

These things happen though....hope it all goes well.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

its looking good, took the air intake out, and theres water/oil mix in there hehe!! the engine, finally R.I.P :P

Was contemplating doing an engine coversion 3 weeks ago as well, because; like all 3 ltr hilux v6's, they are soo slow..

Old 26-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

1uz ???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
1uz ???
Seconded - if your going to do a conversion, may as do one thats worth while.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
351buzz

being a lateish model hilux your gonna have to go straight gas, or go through all the BS emmision rules eh? 1uz = too hard.
chev / straight gas = easy. been done a million times before, you can buy everything you need rather than fabbing it, then you got effortless V8 grunt.
I got a 400 chev in my cruiser ute, twin GRA mixers, has been doin it easy for the last 10+ years. only thing I would defs be looking at is an auto, will be on my third g'box rebuild next time round (which I fear isn't that far off unfortunately), and thats with a cruiser box which are heavier duty than a hilux.
I will be loking at a turbo700 and associated adaptor kit next time my box goes boom.
351buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
351buzz

plus, are you gonna fine 1uz parts up the back of jamo if you need em?
Old 26-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

it won't be engineered, so emissions isn't a problem :P

my hilux is on injected gas, spent the $3,600 on it, and than boom, the motor dies not long after..

see what happens anyway

i like the 1uz, but something more simple would be a holden engine instead...? :/
Old 26-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
351buzz

anything with computers confuses me, especially trying to interwine computers from 2 different makes, thats why i would just do a v8.
I had a mate that bad a 3.6 or 3.8 V6 in his lux, but it was the buick one for some reason, had a differrent bell pattern.
went quite good for while but when it got old and a bit tired it was a gutless POS.
my chev is pretty old and tired but still cranks when you open up the second GRA mixer.
like they say " theres no substitute for cubes" even old effed out ones.
holden V8 with turbo700 auto would be a winner in a lux i reckon.
How'd you bust the shocker, leave the road somewhere?
me mate was telling me about htis ballbuster of a hill out the back of jamo, they all got stuck up there on closing weekend, much carnage ect.
Old 26-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah, its sort of doing my head in, i want to make the right choice, but don't want it to be a complicated conversion because it is my daily car... I would put another 3ltr in the lux, but its boring, struggles on hills

nah, the back of my car has been making noises for a while, and when it stopped making noises, I looked under the back to see if I can see or feel anything loose, and then i find the shock, the top of the shock disconnected from the body of the car :P
Old 26-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

clevo

Or more seriously, an injected 304.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

alternatively, I have had some thoughts, about buying a new 4wd

decisions, decisions, decisions...
Old 27-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #14
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I have driven the Holden V6, Holden carbed V8 and injected V8's with these luxes. The injected V8 is the best out of them all, so if I were you that's the route I'd be taking. These motors and boxes can be picked up for a song, as they are common place and very reliable.

One thing to remember, if doing this conversion, is change diff ratios, otherwise it'll be screaming it's head off at 80 K an hour.

Sorry to add to the confusion

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 03:34 AM   #15
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

before my motor died, it was revving in 5th gear at just under 3,000rpm at 100kph? iirc
i guess holden motors don't like revving high ?
Old 27-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #16
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Me and my uncle rebuilt my cousins hilux after we rolled his single cab (engineered with 6 inch lift, 35s and commodore v6 and auto) and crashed another dual cab into a tree.. We put the dual cab body and tub onto the single cab chassis (only had to move the rear cab mounts) which already had the motor and suspension etc. All you need to do for the v6 conversion is use 1 hilux engine mount and 1 commodore engine mount to fit the motor. We used a marks adaptors adaptor to mount the transfer case off the back of the commodore auto. Wiring was easy, just use the commodore computer and we used both car manuals to figure out the wiring and it was basically just tapping into the ignition and running an electric fuel pump etc. We got the motor in and running within a week as well as a crap load of other stuff. The hilux now has about 10+ inches of lift including a coil over conversion and home made drop shackles. We also gave it a full bare cab respray which took nearly 2 years. The car will be re engineered and on the road within the next month or 2 hopefully if all goes to plan.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
before my motor died, it was revving in 5th gear at just under 3,000rpm at 100kph? iirc
i guess holden motors don't like revving high ?

Most Holden motors sit about 3,000@ 100K without probs. My posting was just something to check into if you are doing the swap

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

toyota spent 400 million developing the 1uz , a low k one of these i would be putting in.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-SOARER...item27b786b342
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

202 holden motor?
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #20
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
. The hilux now has about 10+ inches of lift including a coil over conversion and home made drop shackles.

wont 10+ inches of lift make the centre of gravity very very high?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #21
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

yes it will..but its more of an off road toy then a road car although it will become my cousins road car for a while

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 01:57 AM   #22
gocruzin
Ford tragic

2JZGTE twin turbo with 1000hp @ 9000 rpm!!!
Old 28-12-2010, 02:11 AM   #23
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

see what happens its up for grabs if anyone wants it, if not, i'll be more than happy to keep it
Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #24
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate here has a VN V6 in his forerunner, good bit of gear and he doesnt spare it.